The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

I gloat.

TOLD y'all there was nothing 360-ish in there. :p

I'm looking at my Dell's flat screen here at work and it utilizes a green power button just like in the new Metal Gear promotion so that gave me second thoughts about what was being hinted at. I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 made the jump to the 360, though for me it's not a huge deal since I lost interest in the Metal Gear series after the first Solid game. Enough other great games coming out as it is. :)

For all the 360 fanboys...Microsoft loves you they really do...but not for 50cents.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/micros...sations/1274293

:lol:

What I don't get is why would you change your xbox's position from horizontal to vertical or vice versa while it's on with a disc running? even if it didn't scratch the disc, I would never do that. That's pretty lame.

What I don't get is why would you change your xbox's position from horizontal to vertical or vice versa while it's on with a disc running? even if it didn't scratch the disc, I would never do that. That's pretty lame.

I agree but its still funny how little Microsoft cares about its customers. Can't wait until the memo regarding how much it would take to fix the RROD comes out. I'd love to see a class action lawsuit on that one. :lol:

Not to mention that the manual that comes with the Xbox specifically says not to move the console while it's on and has a disc in it.

As for the whole cost, fifty cents might not sound like a lot, but that's 50 cents times how many units they've manufactured? On a machine they were already selling for a loss? I know VG Chartz numbers are a little suspect at times, but they'll serve as an estimate. 14 million in the US alone, or seven million dollars in savings. 25 million consoles worldwide, $12.5 million saved.

Now, I'm not disputing that the RRoD has ultimately cost Microsoft more than they tried to save by cutting corners. But let's be honest, here. Microsoft isn't making video game consoles because they thought that they ones already on the market weren't cool enough. They weren't trying to do people a favor. They were selling hardware at a loss to carve out a market position in the hopes that they would make money on it at a later date. To minimize losses, corners were bound to be cut. If I were the guy making the decision, I'd make the same decision, and people that can't be bothered to read the manual or lack to the common sense to shut the Xbox off before moving it be damned.

Sigh, yet again---

MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD THE DISCS SCRATCH WHILE THE 360 DIDN'T MOVE AT ALL. Nada. Frozen. Rock-solid.

I think one guy even filmed it and put it up on youtube---took a pristine disc, put it in his horizontal 360, closed the tray, stared at it for 30 secs, ejected disc--and it was all scratched up.

Yes, moving it while a disc is in it is stupid and your own fault. But a decent number of 360's are so bad, they will scratch the disc no matter what---THAT is unacceptable. (though not mentioned in the lawsuit it seems)

Sigh, yet again---

MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD THE DISCS SCRATCH WHILE THE 360 DIDN'T MOVE AT ALL. Nada. Frozen. Rock-solid.

I think one guy even filmed it and put it up on youtube---took a pristine disc, put it in his horizontal 360, closed the tray, stared at it for 30 secs, ejected disc--and it was all scratched up.

Yes, moving it while a disc is in it is stupid and your own fault. But a decent number of 360's are so bad, they will scratch the disc no matter what---THAT is unacceptable. (though not mentioned in the lawsuit it seems)

nor what this law suit is about, according to this article... this idiot seems to move his xbox around while the disc is spinning and wants 50,000$ for it.

Yes, I'm aware of that---I'm just responding to all the people (not just this board) who think that the 360 only ever scratches when it's "moved roughly". The lawsuit is only mentioning the "guaranteed to scratch" situation, but that's not the only issue with the 360 and scratches.

Yes, I'm aware of that---I'm just responding to all the people (not just this board) who think that the 360 only ever scratches when it's "moved roughly". The lawsuit is only mentioning the "guaranteed to scratch" situation, but that's not the only issue with the 360 and scratches.

but the cause of those issues are up in the air, right? there's no smoking gun, the only smoking gun in this situation is that MS could have made the 360 a discman with shock protection and they chose not to and this fool thinks 50,000$ is proper compensation for the 3 games he destroyed.

Sigh, yet again---

Define "many." Define a "decent number." I'm sorry that this guy on YouTube that filmed his has an obviously defective unit, but out of 25 million 360s, you're talking, what, 100? 1000? Even 100,000 is less than half a percent. I don't think it's a widespread issue, I think it's a few people complaining loudly (easy enough to do on the internet) mixed with the idiots that moved theirs around. Statistically, when you're talking about that many units, even without the RRoD some of them were bound to have issues. I know of people who've had bad PS3s, that doesn't mean there's an epidemic of it. And to a point anecdotal stories of 360's scratching discs in a stationary position can be reasonably chalked up to those odd defective units that occur in any mass-produced electronic device.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but the only problem I ever had was the RROD issue... I got tired of sending systems to M$ so I bought the halo 3 xbox360 pro and its been running fine for a good two years now. The disc scratching issue is serious but I don't know ne one who had that problem with the 360... It is an important issue that microsoft should have prevented instead of replacing system after system for ppl which is costing them even more money than fixing the problem before hand... Oh well

but the cause of those issues are up in the air, right? there's no smoking gun, the only smoking gun in this situation is that MS could have made the 360 a discman with shock protection and they chose not to and this fool thinks 50,000$ is proper compensation for the 3 games he destroyed.
It's not compensation. It's punitive damages. There's a big difference.

Compensation means they're paying you for what you lost.

Punitive damages are rewarded ON TOP OF compensation. As punishment for the company's misbehavior.

180 bucks is chump change for a large corporation. Doubly so for Microsoft.

50 grand isn't.

And THAT is why punitive damages exist.

It's not compensation. It's punitive damages. There's a big difference.

Compensation means they're paying you for what you lost.

Punitive damages are rewarded ON TOP OF compensation. As punishment for the company's misbehavior.

180 bucks is chump change for a large corporation. Doubly so for Microsoft.

50 grand isn't.

And THAT is why punitive damages exist.

so stupid people can make money?

I wasn't trying to make a legal argument, I was making a rhetorical one.

Edited by eugimon

so stupid people can make money?

It's a side effect, and I certainly wouldn't mind if punitive damages were awarded to someone other than the suit-bringer.

I wasn't trying to make a legal argument, I was making a rhetorical one.

It was a flawed one.

It's very clear from the word 'punitive' that the 50 grand is NOT compensation for his scratched disks.

You know it, I know it, and he knows it.

It's a side effect, and I certainly wouldn't mind if punitive damages were awarded to someone other than the suit-bringer.

It was a flawed one.

It's very clear from the word 'punitive' that the 50 grand is NOT compensation for his scratched disks.

You know it, I know it, and he knows it.

And you're missing that I don't care, that I'm making a rhetorical argument that this is how this parasite earns his living.

considering the manual tells you not to. and considering he could have figured it out the first time he tried to go jogging with his 360, the only thing this guy deserves, punitive or whatever, is to have rotten eggs thrown at him for wasting everyone's time with this crap.

There's a guy out in LA who does the same poo. He looks for mom and pop stores that are in some minor violation of the ADA and threatens to sue them unless they fork over money. He's not hurt by their lack of access in the least, he sues "on behalf of the people" imaginary people who might be damaged. but he keeps the money and drives small businesses under.

Edited by eugimon

And you're missing that I don't care, that I'm making a rhetorical argument that this is how this parasite earns his living.

I'm skeptical, especially since they're trying to make it a class-action suit. If it goes class-action, his windfall goes byebye.

It's also not usually a tactic that works on large corporations anyways, since they can afford better lawyers.

Certainly, I think it's a dumb case(if they were adressing the no-move scratches, it'd be a bigger deal).

But I appreciate the punitive damage system being available.

There's a guy out in LA who does the same poo. He looks for mom and pop stores that are in some minor violation of the ADA and threatens to sue them unless they fork over money. He's not hurt by their lack of access in the least, he sues "on behalf of the people" imaginary people who might be damaged. but he keeps the money and drives small businesses under.

And I'm surprised no one's stopping him.

Surely the judges should be aware he's gaming the system and just dismissing him outright by now. Especially as he readily admits it doesn't affect him.

I'm skeptical, especially since they're trying to make it a class-action suit. If it goes class-action, his windfall goes byebye.

It's also not usually a tactic that works on large corporations anyways, since they can afford better lawyers.

Certainly, I think it's a dumb case(if they were adressing the no-move scratches, it'd be a bigger deal).

But I appreciate the punitive damage system being available.

And I'm surprised no one's stopping him.

Surely the judges should be aware he's gaming the system and just dismissing him outright by now. Especially as he readily admits it doesn't affect him.

I didn't catch the part where he's trying to turn this into a class action lawsuit, my bad. And I do agree that the punitive damages system is worthwhile and serves a legitimate purpose... just not in this case, which should be a non case for the way he's presenting it.

As for the LA guy, Jarek Molski is his name. He's a disabled guy who trolls business to sue. He's brought over 400 suits against various businesses. Sometimes the suits are because he himself can't access something, or what have you and other times because he feels that maybe someone else couldn't access it, for instance, the handicap door button is too heavy. Anyways, this has nothing to do with the 360 case, just thought you might want to read up on this guy who uses the law, solely for his own benefit and doesn't give a rats arse about other disabled people or the businesses and lives he ruins.

Oh, apparently someone did stop him... the supreme court: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27812981/

Edited by eugimon

well bottom line is, I bought the extended warranty on my elite when it first came out last year in april, had it for about over a year till last month when the disc tray wouldn't open anymore, took it to best buy, and got a brand new one and got my extended warranty renewed for free! I knew the 360 would come with problems so getting the warranty is worth it. I don't have to wait for weeks to get my xbox back if they were to repair it at microsoft. My new system is running fine. If it ends up scratching any of my discs, then back it goes for a new one! ^_^

Anyone know the current trade-in value for a 360 (console/cables only, I want to keep my HD and controller) at Gamestop, EB etc?

Mine's disc drive is really acting up lately, and I'd rather sell it and get a new one than to spend 2 hours on the phone to India just to have them say "it's normal".

Or if anyone wants to buy a "working, but I'm not happy with the noises its making" 360 let me know...

Anyone know the current trade-in value for a 360 (console/cables only, I want to keep my HD and controller) at Gamestop, EB etc?

Mine's disc drive is really acting up lately, and I'd rather sell it and get a new one than to spend 2 hours on the phone to India just to have them say "it's normal".

Or if anyone wants to buy a "working, but I'm not happy with the noises its making" 360 let me know...

When my first 360 went kaput, all my phone calls were definitely with Americans and not with those in India. Just call the stores up and see what they have to offer.

Can't believe people keep flushing money into the 360. If/when my dies, I'll probably start start the coffin process, but no way in HELL would I buy another flawed design from MSFT. It will take at least 6 months of jaspers in the wild to convince me they won't RROD.

I couldn't care less about the SYSTEM--but there's enough exclusive GAMES out there that multiple systems are a requirement. If there were no exclusives, or some uber-system that played everything, then I'd happily own just one system.

Either way, despite the new one being #4, it'll be the first time it's actually cost me money. (assuming they don't fix it for free---which is possible but I'm not holding out much hope)

I've had my 360 for over a year now and I haven't had a single problem with it ever, nor have any of my friends. and as for what games are available for which console, the library on the 360 beats everything else.

frankly I hate the Wii, and the PS3 has all of 2/3 games exclusive to it that I even want (resistance 1 and 2, and GT5. metal gear sucks)

just saying...

Can't believe people keep flushing money into the 360. If/when my dies, I'll probably start start the coffin process, but no way in HELL would I buy another flawed design from MSFT. It will take at least 6 months of jaspers in the wild to convince me they won't RROD.

Uh, yeah, because it has the best games worth playing and a three year warranty. Not sure how that's "flushing money."

I've had my 360 for over a year now and I haven't had a single problem with it ever, nor have any of my friends. and as for what games are available for which console, the library on the 360 beats everything else.

frankly I hate the Wii, and the PS3 has all of 2/3 games exclusive to it that I even want (resistance 1 and 2, and GT5. metal gear sucks)

just saying...

Just for that RROD BEEEAAAAMMMM!!!!!!!!

Uh, yeah, because it has the best games worth playing and a three year warranty. Not sure how that's "flushing money."

There are some people out there that don't bother with the warranty and just buy a new system. I know one guy who is on his 3rd new one. Just buys a new one every time it dies. Funny thing is he plays the cross platform stuff and he doesn't like shooters. The only 360 exclusive game he bought was Kameo. :blink:

There are some people out there that don't bother with the warranty and just buy a new system. I know one guy who is on his 3rd new one. Just buys a new one every time it dies. Funny thing is he plays the cross platform stuff and he doesn't like shooters. The only 360 exclusive game he bought was Kameo. :blink:

Is he at least buying Arcades? it'd be sadder if they were all Elites.

There are some people out there that don't bother with the warranty and just buy a new system. I know one guy who is on his 3rd new one. Just buys a new one every time it dies.

Right, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Even if they get the first fixed in warranty, they now have another flawed system. I've seen this on at least 3 boards... When both of those die, buy another one? Microsoft now has at least two sales to one guy simply because their rushed and flawed hardware design is being rewarded. I'm not saying one should necessarily go to the competition (though the consideration couldn't hurt), but definitely not encourage shoddy engineering & management. Just suck it up and wait out the repair process instead of giving them MORE money to do the same. Doesn't anyone see the message going out? Be first out to the market, even if your poo sucks, and fix it on the back end since your customers won't care if you have a decent online experience replete with advertising. Maybe PT Barnum was right...

I have no problem waiting (in fact, I'd prefer to wait and get my own console back, than a refurb). But it's not really an option this time. MS wants 94 bucks to fix. (which is their generic price for all issues---from a mis-aligned drive track to needing the entire motherboard replaced--they don't price based on what the actual repair costs).

Hmmn. Pay 94 bucks to fix an old one, or sell the old one for 100 bucks (hopefully) then pay 99 bucks to Best Buy for a brand new one... Yeah, I think I'll go with option 2.

Right, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Even if they get the first fixed in warranty, they now have another flawed system. I've seen this on at least 3 boards... When both of those die, buy another one? Microsoft now has at least two sales to one guy simply because their rushed and flawed hardware design is being rewarded. I'm not saying one should necessarily go to the competition (though the consideration couldn't hurt), but definitely not encourage shoddy engineering & management. Just suck it up and wait out the repair process instead of giving them MORE money to do the same. Doesn't anyone see the message going out? Be first out to the market, even if your poo sucks, and fix it on the back end since your customers won't care if you have a decent online experience replete with advertising. Maybe PT Barnum was right...

there's a sucker born every minute... was never said by PT Barnum. probably the last thing the man would have said.

just saying...