The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

I'm guessing I'm late to the party, but I just picked up SFIV. I haven't played online yet, since I'm still working on unlocking all the characters, but so far I'm really enjoying it. In fact, I don't think I've enjoyed Street Fighter this much since Alpha 3. Don't know what it was about it, but I never really got into SFIII.

I'm working my way through RE5 now. Initial impression for me is that the combat mechanics just feel like an updated version of the RE4 system... so if you liked RE4, you'll probably like this one.

The one thing I don't like is the whole stage system. I loved the classic RE games because the environment was like a semi-sandbox in that you were fairly free to walk around and revisit older areas seamlessly (to a certain degree). This one has got more of an arcade-like feel to it. And zombies dropping loot lol... yea, definitely more arcade-style.

I gave the RE5 demo a shot at my friend's house and as a non-Resident Evil fan, I was kind of surprised at what an amazing job it did in the first two minutes to make he hate it. The control, the level design; nearly every aspect of it seemed to be a damning example of why the Japanese game industry is in such dire straights, creatively.

You have a game series that started on a more restricted system, and rather than updating the core mechanics of the game as technology has advanced enough so as to allow the developers to make a properly modern game, they're too afraid to piss off the series' die-hard fans and keep around way too much legacy baggage that makes it play painfully archaicly next to a proper game like Gears.

Famitsu summed it up well (unintentionally) by stating one-button hot keys to switch weapons were a great new feature. You shouldn't be praising a game for allowing you to press the d-pad to switch weapons, you should be asking why the hell didn't they do this before, like every other game in the last 10 years.

Famitsu summed it up well (unintentionally) by stating one-button hot keys to switch weapons were a great new feature. You shouldn't be praising a game for allowing you to press the d-pad to switch weapons, you should be asking why the hell didn't they do this before, like every other game in the last 10 years.

"great" being used to discribe the d-pad inventory... HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!

the new inventory is awful, on the fly inventory works in a game like say... HL2 or FEAR2, where you can still move while using the menu, and things like cover actually exist. Real time menu's should never exist in games where you can't move and shoot at the same time.

F*** you capcom, I want the damn attache case back T_T

So I'm about 1/2 way through RE5 (yea, I'm slow :p)... in the underground ruins now.

My biggest complaint is also the inventory. I've died 4 times total thus far and all of them due to inventory issues (2 to gators & 2 to chainsaw guys). On the one had I feel it's more realistic for you to be vulnerable while switching items, but on the other hand it just also fits in awkwardly into the same paradigm. If they wanted to keep everything real time & continuous, then on the fly inventory switch with hot buttons/d-pad etc would have been preferred. I wouldn't have mind if they just reverted back to old-school inventory where everything pauses while you think and swap stuff out.

All in all, the action is solid though... there is just something missing from this game that would make it an epic game, I would say that right now, it's just a "good game."

ok, I ended up exchanging my PS3 CE version for the xbox CE. I did this cause apparently the PS3 version is only 720p and upconverts to 1080p, while the xbox can play on 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. So I started asking around about this and apparently what's stated on the box is wrong on the xbox. So both systems upconverts to 1080p and they both are actually 720p. Either way I got the xbox version. Game on! ^_^

ok, I ended up exchanging my PS3 CE version for the xbox CE. I did this cause apparently the PS3 version is only 720p and upconverts to 1080p, while the xbox can play on 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. So I started asking around about this and apparently what's stated on the box is wrong on the xbox. So both systems upconverts to 1080p and they both are actually 720p. Either way I got the xbox version. Game on! ^_^

but you have to remember to disable 720p with ps3, manually.

• 3 weeks later...

As of this weekend, the only thing left of my original Xbox 360 are my A/V cable, power cable and converter, and the controller. I finally upgraded my system to a 120 GB hard drive. Nice to have plenty of space again. :)

Yesterday the new map pack for Gears of War 2 came out. Me and MilkManX and some of his friends were playing it for a while. The new achievements have been available for a number of days as well. I was so happy last month to have beaten all the original achievements, but me thinks some of these rank based achievements might be unobtainable for me. :(

Did you by any chance use the transfer cable to migrate the date from your old hard drive to the new one?

Yeah, there was a transfer cable and a CD that came with the dard drive for doing the proccedure. I think it took over an hour to do the transfer. I was looking at the the 60 GB drive, too, but apparently they don't come with the transfer cable and disk.

Yeah, there was a transfer cable and a CD that came with the dard drive for doing the proccedure. I think it took over an hour to do the transfer. I was looking at the the 60 GB drive, too, but apparently they don't come with the transfer cable and disk.

oh wow, I didn't know about this transfer cable and cd. Is there a picture of it? where can I get one? when I took my xbox in to get it replaced, I just kept my old HD and put it on the new xbox I got. I didn't think there was a way to transfer the data anywhere. And how does this work? Do you need two xbox console's to make the transfer? :huh:

Thanks for the input, I'm considering purchasing a 120gb drive and was wondering how smooth the process went.

BoBe-Patt, from what I've read, the transfer cable is only free if you upgrade from a standard 360 to an elite/special edition 360. Though I don't know if you're eligible if you're merely upgrading from a 20gb hard drive to a 60gb.

Thanks for the input, I'm considering purchasing a 120gb drive and was wondering how smooth the process went.

BoBe-Patt, from what I've read, the transfer cable is only free if you upgrade from a standard 360 to an elite/special edition 360. Though I don't know if you're eligible if you're merely upgrading from a 20gb hard drive to a 60gb.

120GB HD upgrades included a cable, but the 60GB HDs didn't. Otherwise, the transfer cable is only available to those who upgraded from a standard Xbox to an Elite, you have to have serial numbers from both in order to get the kit. But the kit should work with any HD/Xbox combo, as long as you're going FROM a small HD TO a larger one, or straight across. You only need one Xbox to do the transfer. There are probably cable kits for sale on Ebay.

Vostok 7

oh wow, I didn't know about this transfer cable and cd. Is there a picture of it? where can I get one? when I took my xbox in to get it replaced, I just kept my old HD and put it on the new xbox I got. I didn't think there was a way to transfer the data anywhere. And how does this work? Do you need two xbox console's to make the transfer? :huh:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937279?sd=xbox

Migration kit order form (it's free).

As for the transfer, you just need the system, the original hard drive plugged in, the USB transfer cable (plugged in through the back USB), the new hard drive, and the transfer disk. The directions tell you what exactly to do.

Good games last night Apollo!

Always a pleasure!

I am loving the new Gears2 maps!

The maps are awesome! My only quip is they are all snow. I'm sick of snow... we're possibly getting snow up here in Nebraska this weekend. :p

First I lost my job this week...

Then just a few hours ago my Xbox 360 RRODed. :( I had taken my system over to my brother's to play for a few hours. When I hooked it up, it was working fine. Then I shut it down and we left it for like half an hour. As soon as I turned it on again, the three red quadrants came up. No error message on the screen, no warning signs like when my launch system went bad three years ago, just NOTHING... I took it back home and it was doing the same thing.

Good news is my refurbished system is still under warranty so shipping and repair/replacement is for free even though I've had it for almost three years.

Guess the other good news is that I can focus on my job hunt and updating my resume instead of playing video games. :p

To be honest, I'm not sure which error my original 360 suffered. The system started freezing up and stuff over a two week period. It finally came up with an error message (maybe E74) and that's what finally got my system shipped off to Microsoft.

This afternoon, I received my shipping label and I dropped the system off at UPS. Hopefully I will be set once again in 2 or 3 weeks.

Last Thursday I got my shipping label for my 360 and I immediately sent it on its merry way. Apparently it arrived at Microsoft's repair facility last night or this morning so I should be back in the swing of things in not too many more days or weeks.

Been a bit weird not having my system around, but at least it's allowed me to focus on other things right now.

Hopefully soon Apollo.

Hope the job situation remedy's soon as well.

Believe it or not, I already got my confirmation e-mail saying my system's been fixed and is being returned! Since it was an RROD, I suspect they're sending me another refurbished system (please have HDMI...), but I shall see in a few days.

As for the job situation, there was one promising prospect I sent my resume to last week. Otherwise I've been mainly focused on getting my resume tweaked, redoing my portfolio, getting all my references lined up, and spending my time trying to relax and go for long bike rides since the weather's been nice. This is a huge change for me because both of the jobs I've been at since 1995 have involved a lot of the same people. This is going to be a huge change for me even if I stay in generally the same field.

Believe it or not, I already got my confirmation e-mail saying my system's been fixed and is being returned! Since it was an RROD, I suspect they're sending me another refurbished system (please have HDMI...), but I shall see in a few days.

As for the job situation, there was one promising prospect I sent my resume to last week. Otherwise I've been mainly focused on getting my resume tweaked, redoing my portfolio, getting all my references lined up, and spending my time trying to relax and go for long bike rides since the weather's been nice. This is a huge change for me because both of the jobs I've been at since 1995 have involved a lot of the same people. This is going to be a huge change for me even if I stay in generally the same field.

Got my system back today and it's actually the system I sent in so I guess technically I'm still on my second system, so no HDMI for me! :p The main thing that sucks now is I have to reload all my download content because if I try to play the system with out a Live connection, it won't let me use my XBLA games etc.

I got a question. Did Microsoft change their policy regarding DLC being useable when a system is not connected to XBL? I just spent nearly an hour having a go around with two different support people from Microsoft claiming that there's a newer policy in which one's DLC only works if their system is hooked up to XBL? That sucks because a lot of times I play my system at parties and other gatherings in which I don't have an online connection, but it was sure nice being able to play my DLC (like my Rock Band DLC songs) while not being hooked online. Either way, this stinks. :angry:

Virtual On came out wednesday.

If you are a mecha junkie this is the game to play!

It kinda reminds me of the 3d Macross game Max and Milia play in Macross lol.

Virtual On came out wednesday.

If you are a mecha junkie this is the game to play!

It kinda reminds me of the 3d Macross game Max and Milia play in Macross lol.

Downloaded the demo, got my ass beat by the CPU.

Downloaded the demo for the Wolverine game, too... that's pretty good. I might have to pick that one up.

• 2 weeks later...

So you guys probably havent seen this on the main sites or possibly even heard of it.

In the late 90's there were some great vertical shooters called Raiden Fighters.

I use to play it at the Student Union every weekend.

Well now you can play it on your 360 with online leaderboards!

You get all 3 games in the series with loads of video options and perfect emulation for the low cost of $20!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Fighters_(series)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Fighters_Aces

http://www.amazon.com/Raiden-Fighter.....;/dp/B001PA0FBS

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=74040

Overall if you are a fan of balls to walls shooters with loads of enemies and 90's techno then this is for you!

Shooter fan rating 9/10 Casual fans probably wont like it nearly as much.

B))

• 3 weeks later...
So you guys probably havent seen this on the main sites or possibly even heard of it.

In the late 90's there were some great vertical shooters called Raiden Fighters.

I use to play it at the Student Union every weekend.

Well now you can play it on your 360 with online leaderboards!

You get all 3 games in the series with loads of video options and perfect emulation for the low cost of $20!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Fighters_(series)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Fighters_Aces

http://www.amazon.com/Raiden-Fighter.....;/dp/B001PA0FBS

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=74040

Overall if you are a fan of balls to walls shooters with loads of enemies and 90's techno then this is for you!

Shooter fan rating 9/10 Casual fans probably wont like it nearly as much.

B))

Haven't opened it up yet, but I did pick it up from a local Gamestop back on Memorial Day last week. When I originally saw this game show up in Milk's achievements I thought he had either gotten an import game (either on disc or XBLA). As someone who has loved Schmups since I was a kid, it's great getting a compilation like this on the 360. I just got done reading the links above and I had no idea that it took over 10 years to get these games on a home release. Not to mention that it got a US release which is also pretty sweet. B))