The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

SF2HD----silver members can play online for free for a month:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/12/04/...ee-program.aspx

I'll download the trial tonight, see if the 360 d-pad is at all acceptable. If so, I'll buy it and go online (after a bit of practicing--I am SO out of practice, I don't think I've really played much since 3rd strike)

I know I'm a few days late into this whole joystick vs. pad debate, but I am definitely with MilkManX that joysticks are the way to go for a lot of fighting games, especially any requiring circular motions.

Hori's had a joystiq for the 360 for a number of years now. Earlier versions had DOA4 artwork (I have this version); there's also a Soul Calibur IV variant. I don't know exactly who all carries it, but I was pretty impressed to see 3 or 4 of them out for sale at the Nebraska Furniture Mart here in Omaha recently.

There's also a plain one with a green gradient.

Mine came with Virtua Fighter stickers. I laughed and threw them out.

There was also a joystick out a year or two ago that was designed specifically with XBLA games in mind.

That Mad Catz one styld after the 2600 stick?

By all counts, it sucked super monkey balls.

There's also a plain one with a green gradient.

Mine came with Virtua Fighter stickers. I laughed and threw them out.

That Mad Catz one styld after the 2600 stick?

By all counts, it sucked super monkey balls.

Yeah, I'm talking about the 2600 style stick that Mad Catz did.

Getting back to 360 games themselves, I played several hours into Gears of War campaign mode last night (

right to the point after the big worm

). I thought, and still think, the first Gears was a very gorgeous looking game, but I really got to tip my hat to what Epic did with this game in just the sheer amount of detail going into the graphics. Not to mention it plays great and is a lot of fun.

On a side note, is it just me, or did this fall mark the first major use of F-bombs in console games? Besides Gears 2, I also noticed this in the latest Call of Duty. Gotta wonder how many parents realize what their kids are playing. (Just thinking of all these kids I see online playing Gears 1 or 2)

What gives you that idea? The universal power logo on the right, used on darn near everything?

I think that's closer to "New Metal Gear Game for Wii", honestly(and that's still WAY out there).

The i and upside-down i look like the Wii i's.

Honestly, there's no evidence there of ANYTHING other than "New Metal Gear game in the works."

What gives you that idea? The universal power logo on the right, used on darn near everything?

I think that's closer to "New Metal Gear Game for Wii", honestly(and that's still WAY out there).

Honestly, there's no evidence there of ANYTHING other than "New Metal Gear game in the works."

I think what gives him the idea is the power logo is GREEN, just like the xbox power logo.

I think what gives him the idea is the power logo is GREEN, just like the xbox power logo.

Right, and that was my first thought too. But, the exclamation point is used as an upside down I in the Metal Gear Acid Games. The rightside up I is usually an Apple thing. And "mgst" is in the url, as in Metal Gear Solid Touch.

I'm guessing it's an Acid game for the iPhone/iPod touch.

What makes you think konami wouldn't make MGS 4 for xbox 360?. Xbox is more than capable of running a game like mgs 4... Besides alot of jrpgs are two dvds or more and they're longer games at that. I'm sure they have the capability to port the game to the xbox 360... All you need is a team of dedicated programmers devoted to coding the game for xbox 360 and massively compressing data onto two discs... Im sure it'll work.

Konami has also expressed their wish to port the game over to another system to recoop the massive development cost of the game. Kojima may not want things to go that way but the mgs property is not his... It's konami and they will do what they want with it.

What makes you think konami wouldn't make MGS 4 for xbox 360?

I didn't say that.

I said that picture isn't really interpretable as hinting at that.

Personally, I don't think it's interpretable as ANYTHING without more context.

And I tend to be annoyed by the attention poured onto retarded marketing antics like this more than anything else. Gets old seeing the random tehorizing about a power logo show up a bajillion times in 2 days.

What makes you think konami wouldn't make MGS 4 for xbox 360?. Xbox is more than capable of running a game like mgs 4... Besides alot of jrpgs are two dvds or more and they're longer games at that. I'm sure they have the capability to port the game to the xbox 360... All you need is a team of dedicated programmers devoted to coding the game for xbox 360 and massively compressing data onto two discs... Im sure it'll work.

Konami has also expressed their wish to port the game over to another system to recoop the massive development cost of the game. Kojima may not want things to go that way but the mgs property is not his... It's konami and they will do what they want with it.

And the last time that happened, the XBOX got a super glitchy MGS2.

And the last time that happened, the XBOX got a super glitchy MGS2.

Which is even worse, because there's no reason for it to be anything other than infintely superior to the original.

I can make arguments on the PS3->360 difficulties(even ignoring the optical disk and hard drive issues, there's a host of fundamental architecture differences to make it a serious pain in the rear).

But PS2->XBox? No. The XBox has all the cards there.

On a side note, is it just me, or did this fall mark the first major use of F-bombs in console games? Besides Gears 2, I also noticed this in the latest Call of Duty. Gotta wonder how many parents realize what their kids are playing. (Just thinking of all these kids I see online playing Gears 1 or 2)

Yeah, I noticed that too in my two recent games, my Gears 2 didn't come in yet, stupid Japan isn't getting the game so I couldn't import the game directly to my "official" address in Japan so I'm still dealing with painfully slow military-run postal services masquerading themselves as USPS. I played the entire campaign of WaW online with my friend, well almost entirely until the GF was getting upset with some of the chores that weren't up to snuff with her. I played online and the game feels broken to me when it comes to the large vehicle stages. I mean, damn, on the regular game mode a tank takes two hits from a bazooka/Panzerschrek and it dies, but online a sticky grenade and a two bazookas to the sides don't do a damn thing. It took more like 4 bazookas, they have to patch the damn thing, other than that MP is fine. It's funny how the way inferior Brothers in Arms HH multiplayer doesn't feel unbalanced with super armored tanks and CoD does. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I noticed that too in my two recent games, my Gears 2 didn't come in yet, stupid Japan isn't getting the game so I couldn't import the game directly to my "official" address in Japan so I'm still dealing with painfully slow military-run postal services masquerading themselves as USPS.

Use Play-Asia. Assuming you have a Japanese 360 (and if you don't and live in Japan, you might as well get one) you can order the Asian versions of games which come out the same time as the US releases and are usually ~$10 cheaper as well.

Use Play-Asia. Assuming you have a Japanese 360 (and if you don't and live in Japan, you might as well get one) you can order the Asian versions of games which come out the same time as the US releases and are usually ~$10 cheaper as well.

Yeah, I just looked at the website as a matter of fact out of curiosity. I have an American 360 I purchased in Guam back in summer of 2007. I saw the Asian edition, hopefully my copy from Amazon will be in within the next few days, if not I'll tell Amazon I didn't get my copy. Last time they sent my order all the way to Sasebo down in Kyushu while I was in Honshu on the Kitty Hawk. At least I'll have an easier time selling a copy of a sold out game over here when I get both the original order and the free replacement order. :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that too in my two recent games, my Gears 2 didn't come in yet, stupid Japan isn't getting the game so I couldn't import the game directly to my "official" address in Japan so I'm still dealing with painfully slow military-run postal services masquerading themselves as USPS. I played the entire campaign of WaW online with my friend, well almost entirely until the GF was getting upset with some of the chores that weren't up to snuff with her. I played online and the game feels broken to me when it comes to the large vehicle stages. I mean, damn, on the regular game mode a tank takes two hits from a bazooka/Panzerschrek and it dies, but online a sticky grenade and a two bazookas to the sides don't do a damn thing. It took more like 4 bazookas, they have to patch the damn thing, other than that MP is fine. It's funny how the way inferior Brothers in Arms HH multiplayer doesn't feel unbalanced with super armored tanks and CoD does. :rolleyes:

yeah, tank's blow in WaW (I've been playing almost non-stop for the last week, sadly I'm only up to level 42). It would be nice if they dropped the health on tank's, and fixed the f**king glitch on Castle (seriously, that glitch ruins what's otherwise one of the best maps in the game).

also there is a distinct lack of love for snipers. getting the 25 bolt action kills needed for scopes is excruciating. and once you get a scoped rifle available, there are no good sniping maps like bloc or creek.

Here's to hoping there will be a map pack in the near future.

yeah, tank's blow in WaW (I've been playing almost non-stop for the last week, sadly I'm only up to level 42). It would be nice if they dropped the health on tank's, and fixed the f**king glitch on Castle (seriously, that glitch ruins what's otherwise one of the best maps in the game).

also there is a distinct lack of love for snipers. getting the 25 bolt action kills needed for scopes is excruciating. and once you get a scoped rifle available, there are no good sniping maps like bloc or creek.

Here's to hoping there will be a map pack in the near future.

Are you kidding me? The vehicle driven stages and Makin are some of the huge camper stages! Man those damn sniping bastards piss me off. I hate campers. The guys that run around with flamethrowers and think they're slick crack me up when they try to get a me with a flamethrower and are too far away. One thing I find funny is that the guns from the early 20th century fire better with iron sights than the newer weapons in CoD4. On Castle do you mean the stage where you're under the stairs? That is one glitch I saw some f-head using to get a one-up on the match, but it didn't help him much. I like Castle because I can say that I've been there. Shuri Castle, I even know where I took a picture and it's cool when I remember were I stood in real life and where I'm standing in the VR past. :lol:

I think I recall reading somewhere that Kojima feels that the MGS story has been told and finished and is moving on to other things - mainly revisiting Zone of Enders.

I'm all for a new ZOE game, as long as it's not as short as the first two. I remember picking up the second one on Kojima's promises that it was twice as long as the first one (which took me a little over four hours), and I was pissed as hell when I finished it in just under 3.

Are you kidding me? The vehicle driven stages and Makin are some of the huge camper stages! Man those damn sniping bastards piss me off. I hate campers. The guys that run around with flamethrowers and think they're slick crack me up when they try to get a me with a flamethrower and are too far away. One thing I find funny is that the guns from the early 20th century fire better with iron sights than the newer weapons in CoD4. On Castle do you mean the stage where you're under the stairs? That is one glitch I saw some f-head using to get a one-up on the match, but it didn't help him much. I like Castle because I can say that I've been there. Shuri Castle, I even know where I took a picture and it's cool when I remember were I stood in real life and where I'm standing in the VR past. :lol:

Makin? a sniper Map? Makin's about as much of a sniper map as Vacant was. the vehicle maps suck because the 2~3 guys who get control of the tanks end up dominating the whole round because the damn tanks are impossible to kill.

roundhouse isn't bad since it actually has some form of high ground (unlike downfall which just sucks all around) but the presence of tank's just ruin it.) I liked sniping in CoD4 (ACOG M40A3 and a 1911 pistol, best combo ever) you just cant get that kind of awesome now.

the flamethrower sucks, especially on maps like dome where you can't realistically be far enough away to avoid getting hit. they are funny as hell though when you see retards running around with them in hardcore modes.

playing CoD4 and WaW back to back, it seems like the reason the WWII guns are more accurate with iron sights is because they've got no recoil or muzzle flash in this game.

also, the glitch on castle is a spot on the map near the stream where you can get underneath the map and shoot people through the ground.

Edited by anime52k8

Makin? a sniper Map? Makin's about as much of a sniper map as Vacant was. the vehicle maps suck because the 2~3 guys who get control of the tanks end up dominating the whole round because the damn tanks are impossible to kill.

roundhouse isn't bad since it actually has some form of high ground (unlike downfall which just sucks all around) but the presence of tank's just ruin it.) I liked sniping in CoD4 (ACOG M40A3 and a 1911 pistol, best combo ever) you just cant get that kind of awesome now.

the flamethrower sucks, especially on maps like dome where you can't realistically be far enough away to avoid getting hit. they are funny as hell though when you see retards running around with them in hardcore modes.

playing CoD4 and WaW back to back, it seems like the reason the WWII guns are more accurate with iron sights is because they've got no recoil or muzzle flash in this game.

also, the glitch on castle is a spot on the map near the stream where you can get underneath the map and shoot people through the ground.

Aha, so that's how you get under the map. Damn cheating bastards. I've noticed some recoil and some flash, but it's usually with the SMGs or STG-44. It's not that they don't have recoil, but they have better sights all together. I can't stand most of the iron sights in COD4, especially the M-60 and G36. I don't snipe much really, I rush and kill campers who never see me coming unless they have claymores. I don't lurk in the shadows. :ph34r: I like the courtyard stage set in Shuri, that one feel the most like speed ball. What's you're gamertag??

I too am hoping for a release of MGS4 on 360. Considering how a lot of other Sony exclusives have come to 360 after solely being on Sony consoles since PSOne, it would happen, it's not a snow ball's chance in hell at least. Hopefully that add on the Kojima website isn't a MGS Acid title. Hopefully it's not a sequel to 4, Kojima may have said he's finished with the title, but that doesn't mean the rest of the MGS team is finished. I wouldn't like to see an MGS5. I don't expect to see an MGS4 Substance/Whatever-they-can-think-of because of the DLC way of expanding games and stuff like that.

Aha, so that's how you get under the map. Damn cheating bastards. I've noticed some recoil and some flash, but it's usually with the SMGs or STG-44. It's not that they don't have recoil, but they have better sights all together. I can't stand most of the iron sights in COD4, especially the M-60 and G36. I don't snipe much really, I rush and kill campers who never see me coming unless they have claymores. I don't lurk in the shadows. :ph34r: I like the courtyard stage set in Shuri, that one feel the most like speed ball. What's you're gamertag??

still, I went and played a few rounds of CoD4 after about 2 weeks strait of WaW, and tried to use my red dot equiped M60. I've never had trouble with recoil management before, but after getting used to using the WaW MG's I couldn't hit poo...

anyway's yeah, I like courtyard, also cliffside. right now I'm using every gun, trying to finish as many challenges as I can (it sucks the expert challenges don't get you anthing anymore.)

My Gamertag's BedivereXIV

Like mikeszekely said, the xbox port didn't have any glitches. Unless you're willing to count a different button layout as a "glitch," and by that standard every port can be considered "glitchy."

MGS2 on the Xbox had framerate issues. A couple of times on the deck of the tanker, it almost turned into a slide show. That was the only real glitch I that I know.

MGS2 on the Xbox had framerate issues. A couple of times on the deck of the tanker, it almost turned into a slide show. That was the only real glitch I that I know.

I played that game three times and experienced nothing of the sort.

still, I went and played a few rounds of CoD4 after about 2 weeks strait of WaW, and tried to use my red dot equiped M60. I've never had trouble with recoil management before, but after getting used to using the WaW MG's I couldn't hit poo...

anyway's yeah, I like courtyard, also cliffside. right now I'm using every gun, trying to finish as many challenges as I can (it sucks the expert challenges don't get you anthing anymore.)

My Gamertag's BedivereXIV

I'm playing Gears2 now since I finally got a copy after I took a trip to the store, I think my Amazon order got lost in the mail so I'll have to talk to those guys, it's the third time this has happened. Yeah, expert challenges are meaningless save for points, head shots seem easier to pull off too. I still don't know if one shot aimed at the head is all it takes for it to register as a kill because in COD4 I would shoot a gun like the G3 at somebody's head at pointblank aimed right at his head and the 3rd shot will always register as a head shot and this is with no lag mind you. Only sniper rifles kill with a head shot with one hit. I would like that fixed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

I beat Gears 2 on Normal a few days back. Make sure to stay through to the end of the credits... a possibly interesting development for Gears 3. I am now playing the game on Insane by myself.

BTW, still need to beat the last 12 levels of Horde mode, so if anyone wants to play, let me know.

Dood, GOW2 on insane alone is friggin hard!!! I'm barely on the last act and I can't seem to pass it. Insane is made to be played with someone else too. So I'm down to play insane with somebody or play horde. I'm done with horde so I don't mind playing it again. Let me know.

oh, I just bought left 4 dead, so if anybody wants to do a four player game on that, let me know too!

Edited by BoBe-Patt

But, the exclamation point is used as an upside down I in the Metal Gear Acid Games. The rightside up I is usually an Apple thing. And "mgst" is in the url, as in Metal Gear Solid Touch.

I'm guessing it's an Acid game for the iPhone/iPod touch.

I called it... maybe.

Dood, GOW2 on insane alone is friggin hard!!! I'm barely on the last act and I can't seem to pass it. Insane is made to be played with someone else too. So I'm down to play insane with somebody or play horde. I'm done with horde so I don't mind playing it again. Let me know.

oh, I just bought left 4 dead, so if anybody wants to do a four player game on that, let me know too!

I'll definitely watch for you being on there. Just need to beat the last 12 levels of Horde. If you need help with GOW2 on Insane, I will gladly be of assisstance.