The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

I'll say that Call of Duty: World at War demo makes me not want to get the full game. The weapons are VERY unbalanced and I can't stand when I aim a gun at someone a few feet away that's not even looking at me, empty the clip, and they don't even appear to have taken damage. I'm not a bad player, I usually rank top 3 in CoD4. The game also feels slower than other games, even CoD4.

No Infinity Ward = not a real Call of Duty game. I'm skipping this one (just like I skipped Finest Hour, Big Red One, and Call of Duty 3), and I'll check back with the franchise this time next year.

No Infinity Ward = not a real Call of Duty game. I'm skipping this one (just like I skipped Finest Hour, Big Red One, and Call of Duty 3), and I'll check back with the franchise this time next year.

At least IW is doing CoD6 from what I've read. There are some fun things to this game, but the accuracy issues and huge weapon balance issues stop it from being CoD4 good. I think that a LOT of the problems I have with weapon balance could be fixed by making everyone have almost no health, so that when you shoot somebody, they actually die instead of having time to turn around and shoot you (and usually kill you w/ the sub machine gun the noob's carrying).

At least IW is doing CoD6 from what I've read. There are some fun things to this game, but the accuracy issues and huge weapon balance issues stop it from being CoD4 good. I think that a LOT of the problems I have with weapon balance could be fixed by making everyone have almost no health, so that when you shoot somebody, they actually die instead of having time to turn around and shoot you (and usually kill you w/ the sub machine gun the noob's carrying).

Yeah, Activision's plan is to have a new Call of Duty every year. Infinity Ward makes a game, Treyarch makes a game with IW's engine, then IW makes a new game from scratch. So CoD6 should be an IW game, and should be a must buy instead of another meh WWII shooter.

I didn't really feel that CoD4 had weapon balance issues. It's true that if you ran up on somebody and tried to shoot them with one kind of weapon you might get wasted by another, but in those instances you might have been using it wrong.

For example, the very first class on the list has a rifle (I forget what it's called off the top of my head), fires a three-round burst). If you're close enough that the other guy can hit you with an SMG or a shotgun, you're going to die, but if you can find some cover where you can see your enemy at a distance, but they can't see you unless they're looking hard, you can take them out quickly with one or two bursts.

Similarly, the shotgun was great for smoking some twit who thought he'd be cute and knife you, but you didn't want to be shooting guys on the street from a second-story window with it.

Finally, you had to accept that not every class/weapon was suited to every map. On the small map with all the containers laying around, you wanted something suited to close-quarters. On the map with the missile silos and the hangers, you wanted to keep your distance.

I've tried the MP in a lot of console shooters since Goldeneye on the N64, and for the most part VERY few have kept me engaged the way Goldeneye did. Probably the original Perfect Dark, the original Halo, and Call of Duty 4. Even games like Halo 3 and Gears of War just didn't hold my interest.

Yeah, Activision's plan is to have a new Call of Duty every year. Infinity Ward makes a game, Treyarch makes a game with IW's engine, then IW makes a new game from scratch. So CoD6 should be an IW game, and should be a must buy instead of another meh WWII shooter.

I didn't really feel that CoD4 had weapon balance issues. It's true that if you ran up on somebody and tried to shoot them with one kind of weapon you might get wasted by another, but in those instances you might have been using it wrong.

For example, the very first class on the list has a rifle (I forget what it's called off the top of my head), fires a three-round burst). If you're close enough that the other guy can hit you with an SMG or a shotgun, you're going to die, but if you can find some cover where you can see your enemy at a distance, but they can't see you unless they're looking hard, you can take them out quickly with one or two bursts.

Similarly, the shotgun was great for smoking some twit who thought he'd be cute and knife you, but you didn't want to be shooting guys on the street from a second-story window with it.

Finally, you had to accept that not every class/weapon was suited to every map. On the small map with all the containers laying around, you wanted something suited to close-quarters. On the map with the missile silos and the hangers, you wanted to keep your distance.

I've tried the MP in a lot of console shooters since Goldeneye on the N64, and for the most part VERY few have kept me engaged the way Goldeneye did. Probably the original Perfect Dark, the original Halo, and Call of Duty 4. Even games like Halo 3 and Gears of War just didn't hold my interest.

I feel you on that one. I wish they would remake Goldeneye (just new graphics, leave everything else alone...well, maybe some EXTRA maps.

I think I'll probably end up buying Gears 2 since I have CoD4 already and have never played a Gears game.

I feel you on that one. I wish they would remake Goldeneye (just new graphics, leave everything else alone...well, maybe some EXTRA maps.

Almost happened, but Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't agree on how to split the profits. I would have loved to see Goldeneye on XBLA arcade though... or even better, Perfect Dark with a decent framerate.

Almost happened, but Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't agree on how to split the profits. I would have loved to see Goldeneye on XBLA arcade though... or even better, Perfect Dark with a decent framerate.

Okay, but why not Perfect Dark then? Don't let your memories be tainted by the 360 prequel, but Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye in every conceivable way. The weapons were better, the maps were better, the single-player was better, and the two best MP maps from Goldeneye were in Perfect Dark.

Don't tell me that Nintendo wants a cut of that, too? I'd have thought their cut would have been the ridiculous sum Microsoft paid for Rare in the first place.

Okay, but why not Perfect Dark then? Don't let your memories be tainted by the 360 prequel, but Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye in every conceivable way. The weapons were better, the maps were better, the single-player was better, and the two best MP maps from Goldeneye were in Perfect Dark.

Don't tell me that Nintendo wants a cut of that, too? I'd have thought their cut would have been the ridiculous sum Microsoft paid for Rare in the first place.

Actually, I didn't like PD as much b/c it was laggy. It was fun, like Goldeneye fun, but the frame rate dropping out of nowhere would really piss me off sometimes.

Oh, and for those that want to add me as a friend: Gamertag = protostar888

I play mainly CoD4 right now, but I'm going to get Gears soon and hopefully some game for Christmas.

Anyone know if any of the major stores are having nice deals around Christmas on top games?

Well after having spent the last 48 hours playing Gears 2 (on normal then insane) I can honestly say it is one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. My love for the first game almost knows no limit and this one is just bigger and better in every way while still holding true to what made the first so fun.

The new vehicle sequences are top notch and some of the most epic moments I've witnessed in a game. I was also really floored and how the framerate didn't stutter at all even when in sequences when there could easily be over 100+ troops, plus vehicles and larger Locust on the screen all fighting it out.

During my first year of being a 360 owner, COD2 was the main game that I played. When COD3 came out, it was disappointing that the game handled differently then CO2 and that it was a different graphics engine (but I thought it looked good none the less). But during those first few weeks that I had it, I played it online quite a bit and really enjoyed that fact that you know had vehicles and that the matches now involved a lot more people. But after I started playing Gears of War more heavily and became very obsessed with that, COD3 fell to the wayside and I haven't had the chance to pick it up again in two years though I do one day plan to do so and beat the story mode.

I think COD World at War is going to have a better reception then COD3 in that, unlike COD3, it is a lot more heavily tied to the most recent IW mega hit (COD4); the graphics, the handling, and online gameplay (the perks, etc.) will have a lot more people at home then when going from COD2 to 3. Having Keifer Sutherland provide voiceovers was a nice touch. But at the same time, too, there is a game called Gears of War 2 which will provide very stiff competition. My one gripe about the beta is the attack dogs; very frustrationg to take down!

I haven't played it since Friday night, but I am loving Gears of War 2. Hope I can get some Macross Worlders to help me beat all 50 levels of Horde mode! (18 is the best I have done so far)

I still haven't opened up Gears of War 2 yet. I'm too busy playing Fallout 3. I just hopped back on the COD5 beta last night (it's over today folks) just to get used to the controls again. It doesn't feel much different from COD4 except for the lack of Modern Weapons. I started with COD4, so I've never played a Treyarch version, but it plays alot like COD4, so I have no gripes. Yeah, I hate when the dogs come after me, but I don't mind when I send them out. Did they ever fix the glitches on Roundhouse?

I'll probably be changing my gamertag soon, if I do, I'll post it here.

I'll be picking up COD5 and WOW:WotLK on Thursday.

My online addiction for the 360 are CoD4 and on occasion Ace Combat 6. My gamertag is Eagle1oh7 so go ahead and add me if you want to play COD with me, I'm gonna jump on Gears 2 eventually when I get it, unfortunately Amazon couldn't ship it to my address in Japan so I had to put my FPO one! Hoping to jump into World at War when I receive it, but I'll still be dedicated to COD4. I used to play Halo, but it's not fun to me at all. I'm not so good at Ace Combat now, but I'll play online with you anyways. :)

I still haven't opened up Gears of War 2 yet. I'm too busy playing Fallout 3.

Ah, Fallout 3. The game that's kept me up until 2:30am twice now, even with a bad cold. Easily my pick for Game of the Year so far, and this is coming from someone who never played a previous Fallout game and didn't like Oblivion.

Argh, Fallout 3, I want that game too, but for now I have to stick with the current line up, I kinda went all out recently ordering Gears 2, CoD5, EndWar and a used copy of Kane and Lynch, I spent 268 dollars so far with more to come when I get Fallout 3, Hawx, and RE5. Argh! It's the most games I ever ordered in a single session, the previous was Force Unleashed, Brother's In Arms and Force Unleashed for PS3. Dead Space is my recent purchase, taking it very slowly because of my work schedule and I only play it when the GF is sleeping because then I can enjoy it without distractions. :wacko::wacko::ph34r::ph34r:

Argh, Fallout 3, I want that game too, but for now I have to stick with the current line up, I kinda went all out recently ordering Gears 2, CoD5, EndWar and a used copy of Kane and Lynch, I spent 268 dollars so far with more to come when I get Fallout 3, Hawx, and RE5. Argh! It's the most games I ever ordered in a single session, the previous was Force Unleashed, Brother's In Arms and Force Unleashed for PS3. Dead Space is my recent purchase, taking it very slowly because of my work schedule and I only play it when the GF is sleeping because then I can enjoy it without distractions. :wacko::wacko::ph34r::ph34r:

The problem this time of year is that there are simply too many games. You can't afford them all.

One tip, if you've got a computer that can do gaming, is to buy PC. You'll save anywhere between $10-$30 per game vs. Xbox 360/PS3. Fallout, for example, is $39.99 at my local Target.

One tip, if you've got a computer that can do gaming, is to buy PC. You'll save anywhere between $10-$30 per game vs. Xbox 360/PS3. Fallout, for example, is $39.99 at my local Target.

Except that to keep upgrading your PC to be good enough to play these games will cost way, way more than the 10 or 20 bucks you would save.

I don't think it will. Just because the new gears is pretty much different. I handles differently weapon wise. If you were use to using the shotgun a lot in the first one, you won't use it a lot in the second one. The weapon of choice now is the lancer since you start out with it and you don't really have to pick up anything else.

To me Gears 2 was like getting on a bike after not riding one for a while. It felt very natural to just hop right back into it. There was some tuning done, especially the "from the hip" firing with the shot gun. Other than that though I didn't really notice too many drastic changes in the way things felt. The Lancer was on me the whole time in Gears 1 and that was doubly true in 2. My second slot was usually taken up by the Longshot or the Torquebow. Also the Lancer was given to you on your first actual mission from command in 1. You were really only forced to use the Hammerburst when escaping from the prison in the opening sequence. The Lancer was the weapon of choice for most everyone I knew that played 1.

Seeing as how many of the old maps are brought back for multiplayer, plus the addition of new ones and that the campaign/co-op experience has been refined, I'd say there isn't much pull to go back to Gears 1. Everything from 1 has been improved upon in my view, and while 1 was great 2 pretty much is top dog now in my book.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Except that to keep upgrading your PC to be good enough to play these games will cost way, way more than the 10 or 20 bucks you would save.

If you buy a high-end video card, it'll last as long as a console. You're not going to run every game that comes out at the highest settings, maybe, but console games stop looking as good as PC games on high settings anyway, so I call it a wash.

My coworker bought Fallout 3 for his 360 and even on my aging Nvidia 7900GS (256mb), it looks better on the PC and I don't have all the settings set at max either. I have an 8600GS on my laptop and that looks even better. Haven't seen the PS3 version to compare yet.

For these type of games, I prefer the keyboard/mouse set up. For games like Gears and COD, I'd prefer the 360 controller. Also the cost of video cards have come down. I was planning on getting a cheap 9800 to replace the 7900, but why bother, the 7900 is running things fine.

Edited by Chowser

My coworker bought Fallout 3 for his 360 and even on my aging Nvidia 7900GS (256mb), it looks better on the PC and I don't have all the settings set at max either. I have an 8600GS on my laptop and that looks even better. Haven't seen the PS3 version to compare yet.

For these type of games, I prefer the keyboard/mouse set up. For games like Gears and COD, I'd prefer the 360 controller. Also the cost of video cards have come down. I was planning on getting a cheap 9800 to replace the 7900, but why bother, the 7900 is running things fine.

Newegg has an EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ on sale for $185 and free shipping. But I have a promo code you can use to get another $10 off. And there's a $20 rebate on it too.

Tell you what, I have a BFG 9800GTX+, and Crysis has been the only game so far I haven't been able to run at the highest settings (and even then, I was running it at the highest settings for awhile, but the particle effects on a snow level bogged the whole thing down).

Okay, that video card costs almost as much as a console. Then you have to worry about RAM, which on my computer is stupidly expensive (still $60+ for a 1GB stick and my comp is 4 years old!). You also don't play online games with "equal" people. Someone who's comp is better might play better b/c they have that extra second of lag-free time that you might not get. All in all, comps are expensive to keep up to speed.

I hit Circuit City and Toys R Us today, neither is running any kind of good sales. Heck, Circuit City is going out of business in my area and they only have stuff marked 10% off or less (games have all the % off's marked out, so they aren't even on sale even though the signs in the store say EVERYTHING is marked off). And Toys R Us ended their buy Gears 2 get a $15 gift card yesterday. So I'll just be waiting for the big Christmas sales that analysts are expecting.

It amazes me that the gaming industry isn't getting some kind of serious reality check with the ridiculously priced games and the poor economy...

Okay, that video card costs almost as much as a console. Then you have to worry about RAM, which on my computer is stupidly expensive (still $60+ for a 1GB stick and my comp is 4 years old!). You also don't play online games with "equal" people. Someone who's comp is better might play better b/c they have that extra second of lag-free time that you might not get. All in all, comps are expensive to keep up to speed.

I hit Circuit City and Toys R Us today, neither is running any kind of good sales. Heck, Circuit City is going out of business in my area and they only have stuff marked 10% off or less (games have all the % off's marked out, so they aren't even on sale even though the signs in the store say EVERYTHING is marked off). And Toys R Us ended their buy Gears 2 get a $15 gift card yesterday. So I'll just be waiting for the big Christmas sales that analysts are expecting.

It amazes me that the gaming industry isn't getting some kind of serious reality check with the ridiculously priced games and the poor economy...

games are one of the few sectors of the economy that doesn't seem to have been affected.

I am loving Gears2 and so do all my friends that play it online.

I love that it is more tactical.

I dont miss the shotgun dances at all.

Viva la Gears2!!

Honestly, most of the complaints I hear are b/c the game is less broken then Gears 1 sounded. Basically, less exploitable and more about thinking than just getting lucky (like grenade tossing in CoD4).

If you buy a high-end video card, it'll last as long as a console. You're not going to run every game that comes out at the highest settings, maybe, but console games stop looking as good as PC games on high settings anyway, so I call it a wash.

Except you also need a fast processor and a big harddrive and lots of RAM and the million other components you need for a decent computer.

Except you also need a fast processor and a big harddrive and lots of RAM and the million other components you need for a decent computer.

and the amount of time you need to invest learning which mainboard, which CPU, what RAM goes with what, oh wait now your HDD isn't compatible with SATA (don't laugh that happened to me), downloading drivers, figuring out driver conflicts... blegh. I used to do that crap for a living I don't want to do it at home. I want to plug my XXX console into the TV, stick in a disc and start playing.

...and then download updates, patches, and more patches until the game actually works on something other than a developer's system. QA and bug-checking no longer exists for videogames, they figure they'll just make everyone download patches if something doesn't work.

...and then download updates, patches, and more patches until the game actually works on something other than a developer's system. QA and bug-checking no longer exists for videogames, they figure they'll just make everyone download patches if something doesn't work.

In general, this is sadly true...

But it applies to all games, not just console or PC games.

Edited by protostar8

The point is things are going backwards. Console games used to have to be "perfect" when arriving on shelves. Now they can be buggy as hell. (PC games weren't much different--15 years ago few people could go online to download a patch--and a couple megs would take all night)

I don't know. I built my computer from scratch for about $1000, and while that might sound expensive, add the cost of a modern gaming console with the cost of a computer you'd use just for internet crap, and there ya go.

The economy is definitely affecting my gaming habits, though. Like I said, I've been buying PC games lately because they're a good bit cheaper than their console counterparts (and half the time look better on my PC anyway). I used to buy one or two games a month; this year I could probably count all the console games I've bought on one hand. I don't even really buy used games anymore because they're too expensive.

Sarcasm--you mean paying 95% of MISB for one that's scratched, dirty, missing half the pages in the manual and the artwork sleeve at Gamestop isn't a good value? (and they somehow show up in that condition the same week they're released)

That's the scary part. How bad was the person that had the game for it to get like that in the 3-5 days they owned it???