Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Damn it...I may have to try my hand at this kit. I typically avoid model kits (I would smoke EVERYONE in a 'worst' competition) but if this thing is a true plamo, a kit that can be assembled easily with pieces molded in different colors and played with, I just might have to cave and get one. It just looks too pretty.

I did recently put together a Keroro Robo plamo from Bandai and the plastic quality surprised the hell out of me. Completed it feels far closer to a 'toy' than a 'model kit'. Plus I was pleased that it was a snap-kit because glue is something that should never find it's way into my hands.

man..i hate you :lol: ...as would many other modellers as it's because of people like you that models are becoming more like snap-together toys nowadays B)) (j/k..i'm just giving you a hard time lol)

all kidding aside..i am actually very pleasantly surprised by how nice this kit turned out. As my life become more and more time-challenged I'm no longer totally averse to glue-free, seam-line-free models as long as the result is not compromised to make the build easier. I'd still paint that sucker before calling it a model though

WOW nice pics!!! On some point I say the proportion is quite good, maybe because of the angled shot but well see hands on. Since it is still a kit, tranforming it always might worn out the joints(like my zeta, now mine Its forever in robot mode).

But I like 3 modes. WTF need 3 kits??? :blink:

Crapiest modeling contest-----I'm in :lol:

So that's what the final product looks like!! It looks amazing in Battroid mode, But I think I'll leave the landing gear up when I get mine, not too crazy about the wheels & struts...... But I'll have to wait and see up close how they look.

Either way that is a sick looking Kit and I think that Hasegawa may get a little jealous from this one!!

thanks for the link.

the fighter is definitely the weakest..there are some very obvious gaps in the promo pics already and they'll probably be even bigger in 'real life'. the hinge on the wing is also very distracting.

in battroid mode, flaws of the transformation gimmick is less obvious. B))

what are you guys expecting, it's a transforming model, of course there are going to be gaps, have you seen the Yamato toys PF valks, a complete gap fest...

I think Bandai did a great job and the gaps are virtually impossible to avoid in transforming toys, if you don't want gaps, locked in fighter mode putty, fill, sand and presto, ahhaha :p

can't wait to get this one on my hands

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

That is SWEET! I think I'm going to take the plunge and get it. I have never painted a model before... errr...then again...this isn't even snap-fit like the MGs is it? :(

I am scared of handling this thing...

But the finaly product looks sooooo beautiful!

Well done Bandai.

Pete

carzooyah, most of Bandai's kits have been made with ABS for the joints recently. My son's Votoms AT acts liek a toy with the detail of a model - without even painting it! Those metal pins would HAVE to go through ABS, styrene would bust (trust me on that one). I'll be getting one soon too. - MT

I gotta laugh. The tone of this thread has gone from doom and gloom to "I gotta get me one." I'm sure there will be variants to include armored ones! - MT

well, just to throw some of that skepticism (negative energy?) back in the thread, I am still very troubled by the location of the nose gear, sometimes it appears in the right spot (aligned with the windshield), sometimes it shows waaaay too far forward.

then, the model still sucks in fighter mode, because it cannot stay together without additional support supplied in the kit (problem can be noticed in the rear shot of the gerwalk mode, where the forward fuselage is drooping down.

...that being said, just like graham, I also have to get my vf-25 fix and can't wait for the DX version...

looking at the non-transformable 1/100 Zaku II V2.0 Char Custom (the one that can superpose and even kneel down), I am confident the set is going to be at least decent and the build nice enough to go with the rest of the ever increasing mecha collection.

(When are we going to get a Klan Klan Queadluun Rea from Bandai?? snap fit, glossy red, no transformation=no seams...just imagine that beauty!!!)

Edited by regult

Gah, this came up like 1 page ago.

IGNORE HLJ, HLJ IS VERY OFTEN WRONG. It is snap together like every other Bandai mecha kit ever.

I'm wondering what shipping will be---I currently have SAL selected from HLJ, but lately it seems that it's been taking a really long time. But I also don't want to spend 50%+ of the cost of the kit on EMS...

well, just to throw some of that skepticism (negative energy?) back in the thread, I am still very troubled by the location of the nose gear, sometimes it appears in the right spot (aligned with the windshield), sometimes it shows waaaay too far forward.

then, the model still sucks in fighter mode, because it cannot stay together without additional support supplied in the kit (problem can be noticed in the rear shot of the gerwalk mode, where the forward fuselage is drooping down.

...that being said, just like graham, I also have to get my vf-25 fix and can't wait for the DX version...

looking at the non-transformable 1/100 Zaku II V2.0 Char Custom (the one that can superpose and even kneel down), I am confident the set is going to be at least decent and the build nice enough to go with the rest of the ever increasing mecha collection.

(When are we going to get a Klan Klan Queadluun Rea from Bandai?? snap fit, glossy red, no transformation=no seams...just imagine that beauty!!!)

Well the the landing gear bay doors open to allow the nose cone to fold into. If the doors are too far back (near the canopy), the nose cone won't reach. I think the inconsistency is due to animation errors.

Gah, this came up like 1 page ago.

IGNORE HLJ, HLJ IS VERY OFTEN WRONG. It is snap together like every other Bandai mecha kit ever.

I'm wondering what shipping will be---I currently have SAL selected from HLJ, but lately it seems that it's been taking a really long time. But I also don't want to spend 50%+ of the cost of the kit on EMS...

Sorry, I skimmed over the last couple of pages but I didn't see anything about this kit being snap or glue. Thanks for the info, I'm glad to know it's a snap-kit. And I know HLJ is often wrong, which is why I asked. :) I forget which toy I bought from them a few years back but it was obviously just an action figure and they had it listed as a model that required glue to assemble. <_<

Well the the landing gear bay doors open to allow the nose cone to fold into. If the doors are too far back (near the canopy), the nose cone won't reach. I think the inconsistency is due to animation errors.

The lineart shows the gear in the aft of the landing gear bay, while on the kit it's in the middle, maybe for structural reasons.

post-1187-1221261023_thumb.jpg

And if you pay attention to the launch sequences, the animation doesn't match either!

I did search for as many sequences showing the landing gear, and honestly, I don't think it ever showed up at the front of the bay doors...it simply doesn't look right. I also think it is due to some structural reason Bandai could not overcome, or maybe Kawamori-san isn't very clear on this kind of small details?! Maybe by moving the nose gear to the far front called for that extra support under the head. Will go searching for this kit downtown now, hopefully we already got them here in Hong Kong!

Thanks for posting the lineart! The gear is even chunky in the lineart! I guess its the additional armor on this valk. I know it sounds weird, but I've similar things with Miyataki's drawing too (mainly Daedalus/Promethius). They actually put a lot of thought into the design; they just didn't draw something and say, "this looks cool!"

Animation has a lot of engineering errors in it! I learned NEVER to use animation screen shots except for color - and even then using several shots for consistency. - MT