Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

I'd say bare plastic actually, judging by the visible sprue marks.

Also, for the mods: When we members start getting the kits should we post our reviews/buildups in this current thread, or start our own new one?

Jarrod

How are the cockpit detail in the EX kits? can anyone tell me? I don't recall Bandai ever didn't much detail in the cockpit, tinting the canopy might be a good idea. I just want to be the one to do it.

whew! i can breathe now. just got shipping notice from hlj.

pre-ordered on the day they put it up and paid within minutes of the payment request, yet others who just placed their orders got shipping notices earlier. seems like shipping priority is a pretty random affair for hlj, but perhaps this will give some hope to those who pre-ordered early but yet to receive their notices.

I'm still curious about the VF-25's arm transformation, especially the shoulder area. Still can't completely wrap my head around it, despite hours spent studying the anime, kit instructions available lineart etc.

Graham

From fighter mode it rotates 180 degrees horizontally and then 90 degrees vertically.

Built my kit yesterday. Might have pics up soon.

Word of warning about the shoulder area. The joints in this area are extremely tight so take care to hold the entire assembly when transforming this beast.

Aside from that, this is a pretty damn decent kit. Fighter mode is a little difficult to get locked togehter (haven't managed it yet).

A video would be cool.

I still don't know why Kawamori chose to basically use the SV51 design for this bird. Transforming this kit feels very "been there, done that" considering it's supposed to be separated by at least 60 years from the SV51.

Maybe he ran out of Lego

Fighter mode is a little difficult to get locked togehter (haven't managed it yet).

That sounds worrying. Fighter mode is my favorite.

Maybe I should buy two, one for battroid mode and one to glue permanently together in fighter mode.

Graham

That sounds worrying. Fighter mode is my favorite.

Maybe I should buy two, one for battroid mode and one to glue permanently together in fighter mode.

Graham

Don't be worried yet as i've only had it for a day so maybe I just haven't got the knack yet.

The only thing that I don't like (and it's just a personal thing) is that the white plastic makes it look a little cheap. I'm not one to paint a kit after i've made it so looking forward to Ozma or Michel's more.

Due to being "Bandai white" from what I can tell (an almost purplish-white as opposed to their Gundam greenish-white) I plan to give it a lot of wash/weathering. Originally I was going to just faintly panel line it, but it's too "pure" white to look good like that. I think I'll be trying for "end of ep 14". :)

Wow, they got the various shades of grey in all the right places. I'm surprised they engineered the kit to be able to do that. (there's no way the sprue arrangement would have worked like that by chance).

Hmmn, I might have to just sell my Alto unbuilt and get Ozma's instead. (since it looks less and less likely I'll be getting Ozma's DX 1/60)

Told ya Ozuma was cooler. Much better head unit imo.

What parts aside from that are not perfect transformation?

Just the hands that need to be swapped out for a pair of hands that are molded togther. The shield cannot be attached to the back in Gerwalk if the arms are in full gerwalk.

Edited by Alex

maybe i'll buy the Alto from ya Dave. I've been waiting for someone to put out a fighter mode only model kit since it also looks like I'll be passing on the 1/60DX. I really just want to display it in fighter mode. I just wish someone would release a model kit in 1/60 scale.

Damn, looks like for the first time ever, you guys in the US might get a Japanese Macross kit before we get it here in Hong Kong.

Did another recce at lunch today, but still no sign. :(

Graham

Thanks for the update...I feel you're just as impatient as I am, must have been hard to go out into the concrete jungle and recce for this kit under the current weather conditions in Hong Kong, hot and insanely humid/stuffy! You said a model shop in Taipo was at least certain it would get it this weekend...let's hope other areas get it at the same time, or earlier! I cannot afford to go model searching everyday... B))

Wow this thing looks so nice. I wasn't going to get the model but I think I might buy the Ozma model when it comes out since it is a good price and I am a little depressed at the latest pics of the 1/60 DX.

Sorry if it is already on this thread, and I may have already forgot.... but....

Are they going to make Super parts as an add on for this kit and or a super version?

And are they going to make a Luca Recon Version?

I want super parts for my alto kit (posed in battroid) and a luca super recon (for fighter mode). Then I would be pretty much set up until there is an Ozma Armored version. Those three and I am totally set. (Until they make the Vajra. Then I will be set until they make a Macross Quarter. Then I will be set until they make everything in the macross universe including the lancer, comanchero, VF-4, Hikaru Fan jet, Misa flightsuit and all the other stuff they will never make.)

Morpheus Review

I just bought the kit on Toy'R Us for 3,999 yen. I assembly it right away (took around 5 hours). The complexity rivals MG gunpla and the addition metal rod to certain joint is a nice touch. The kit is not yet painted or given any decals, just a rough assembly fresh out of the box. Swappable parts included hands and shield.

1. Battroid mode

The transformation is quite difficult, especially since the nose cone are always stuck with the chest cover. The pose is limited since there are no degree of freedom on the hip joints.

DCF_0018.jpg

Funny that the cockpit in battroid mode is located at the ass :lol:

DCF_0019.jpg

2.Gerwalk mode

Again some limitation in gerwalk mode, especially the knee joint, it seem to reach maximum here and not able to retain the chicken leg look. The arm part and the hip cannon are quite difficult to set-up since the hip beam cannon is connected with the hips.

DCF_0020.jpg

3. Fighter mode.

Transformation from gerwalk to fighter is fast but I have to swap the hand with the shield-socketing type. The shoulder socket and the beam cannon assembly is very difficult to manage, although it supposed to be fit, it always failed to locked properly.

DCF_0021.jpg

DCF_0022.jpg

The trouble with shoulder-beam cannon locking joint: :angry:^_^

DCF_0023.jpg

Summary

Overall is a good kit comparable to MG gunpla, however the manual its kinda difficult to follow and limited poseability and some problems with the transformation (hip beam cannon joint) makes this kit for-display-only. Now I'm gonna leave it on fighter mode. My score is 8/10. ^_^

DCF_0025.jpg

DECULTURE!!!!!

Congratulations on the quick completion!

and thank you for the review.

I am nervous about the instructions. I assume it is all in Japanese and if it is confusing then I am screwed!

So no freedom in the hips? That is a bit of a bummer.

The instruction is in japanese but the diagram is quite easy to understand, it just I'm not very familiar with it (different with standard gunpla instruction). Also keep in mind that I write the review at 3:00 am in the morning :lol:

The instruction is in japanese but the diagram is quite easy to understand, it just I'm not very familiar with it (different with standard gunpla instruction). Also keep in mind that I write the review at 3:00 am in the morning :lol:

The last Bandai Kit i ever had was the VF-2SS and a few Gundam F-91 kits, do they assemble in the same fashion, or is this more like the Hasegawa Macross Zero kits, lots of glue, putty serious patience!!??

Thought I would ask since you actually have one now. Show us some pics when you have it painted!!! :)

Hmm. Some of the things you mention, such as the hips and the knees, are shown to have more freedom in flexibility in other reviews and photo-breakdowns. There is supposedly a mechanism which pops the hips out a little bit for more maneuverability and the knees should fold out further too.