Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Why can't they release 2 days earlier? before i leave japan?? :(:(:(

i am in japan this week!! why not release earlier? so i can bring some good macross frontier valks!!

:(:(

Well, the 18th is the shelf date. One might assume that the various shops will get them in before the date and simply not put them out until then - that's how many releases work in the US, and why things also get released prematurely - occasionally you'll find things on the shelves a few weeks before they're supposed to be there, because someone didn't know about the release date and just put it out like so much product. Brush up on your Japanese and make friends with the hobby shop owners :D

and as far as i know, it's already released in hobby shops in japan, (tokyo and aki area at least), as confirmed by a friend there right now (who's getting me one :D), so you might wanna check the shops then ;)

There's none showing up on Yahoo Japan Auction yet, which is usually a reliable indicator that something is out.

Usually with Japanese toys or models they are pretty good at keeping to the specified release date, although 2-3 days early is not too uncommon.

Graham

Just checked several hobby and model shops during my lunch break but no sign of it yet.

Here in HK, we usually get stuff within 1-2 days of the Japanese release date, or sometimes simultaneously or occasionally a few days earlier, due to the shorter distance from the the factories in southern China to HK, compared with to Japan.

Graham

I like the looks of this kit too. Watching some MF this weekend helped feed the need too!

Looks like the stand in fighter mode keeps it from drooping (like the 1/48 Legioss. As everyone else, I hope they'll do an armored version too. Let's see, it was in only the second episode, yeah, they'll do one! I better start budgeting! - MT

Just checked several hobby and model shops during my lunch break but no sign of it yet.

Here in HK, we usually get stuff within 1-2 days of the Japanese release date, or sometimes simultaneously or occasionally a few days earlier, due to the shorter distance from the the factories in southern China to HK, compared with to Japan.

Graham

but model kit is made in Japan, even I still hope I can get it next week...

Graham

i'm passing through HK this weekend. on the off-chance some HK shops might already have it on hand, where should i check? CTMA?

Hmmn. I am not liking that "support" under the belly in fighter mode---that's clearly a dedicated kit part, and not your typical "hunk of generic clear plastic thrown in for a photo shoot". I wasn't concerned at all from the previous pics, but now that the final, final pics show a specially-designed piece right there...

Looking at the gunpod and how it "expands", I'm wondering if the bottom piece is held in place only by that little hinge. Looks to me like it might get "floppy" over time.....

The whole thing may get floppy. Does anyone know if Bandai's previous transformable models have stayed tight?

Hmmn. I am not liking that "support" under the belly in fighter mode---that's clearly a dedicated kit part, and not your typical "hunk of generic clear plastic thrown in for a photo shoot". I wasn't concerned at all from the previous pics, but now that the final, final pics show a specially-designed piece right there...

you know, considering that the kit can hold together when on the display stand, I'm begining to think that the supprt peice isn't to hold up the plane cause it's floppy like we thought, but rather it's to take weight of the landing gear so they don't buckle or break over time.

The whole thing may get floppy. Does anyone know if Bandai's previous transformable models have stayed tight?

Bandai's NON-transformable kit's can get floppy over time. they can also be floppy out of the box. bandai models are awsome but they arn't exactly rock solid.

Never trust HLJ for skill levels, even after things are released. It's going to be like every Bandai Gundam kit ever---a couple different colors of sprues, and nothing more. You can paint and ink it if you want, but you don't need to, and nothing's going to be done for you from the factory.

but why 2 decal sheet?

They are not both decal sheets. One sheet is water-slide decals and the other sheet is stickers.

If you are a hard-core model builder and want to build it like a proper display model, i.e. puttty, sand and paint it's best to use the water slide decals for a professional looking result.

If on the other hand, you just want to do a quick build and consider the kit more of a playable action figure, rather than a display model, you can just assemble it without paint, slap the stickers on and you are ready to go.

I'm hopeless with paint and decals, so I will do the latter, with maybe some panel lioning as well. Basically, I just consider the 1/72 kit a stop-gap measure to give me a VF-25 to play with until the 1/60 and 1/100 toys come out.

Graham

Better check Sino center, too, and there are some model shops in the nearby Kwong Wah street.

ah, thanks! haven't explored that street yet. over several trips to HK i've found very few shops selling scifi kits aside from gundam. only a couple had macross (very few items at that), and have yet to find one carrying MaK.

A bit better than I expected. There are plenty of elements on it that scream 'toy' - the massive seams, the bulky undercarriage, etc, but I think this has the potential, with a bit of effort, to make a great display model!