Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Yeah I can agree now. It is a bit off, but not nearly as badly as it showed before.

It's a Bandai, and it's transformable, of course it's not gonna be absolutely perfect. :lol:

But I really need to know if you guys think I need to pre-order or not.

You guys are the experts. I've never pre-ordered models or toys before! :huh:

I wouldn't worry about pre-ordering. It may be in short supply in the first few weeks of its release but once the rush is over, you should have no trouble getting it. There has been no suggestion that this is going to be some kind of limited release so no worries.

Frankly--it's not like a Yamato 1/60 is any more symmetrical. They don't lock together in one solid, perfectly aligned piece. YF-19 and Sv-51 especially show that fact. Even something as "solid" and "locked together" as a G1 Optimus Prime---doesn't sit perfectly level with perfectly aligned parts.

So what happened to the Macross Kite symbol?

Err.........I take it you have not watched Frontier at all, or been following the many Frontier discussion threads for the past 6 months?

Basically, the VF-25 is used by 'SMS' (Strategic Millitary Services), a private millitary contractor, not by the UN Spacy, hence the lack of UN markings

But in Frontier the UN Spacy has become 'NUNS' (New UN Spacy) and they also use a new logo, instead of the traditional kite symbol.

Graham

The official Frontier site blog has an update on the 1/72 VF-25F Alto. Looks like the release date is mid-September.

Here's the Goggle translation: -

Bandai plastic models "1/72VF-25F MESAIABARUKIRI Alto machine," the introduction!

Nice to meet you.

Bandai Hobby Division to develop the model and UTCHI.

Thank you.

Release scheduled for mid-September in conjunction with plastic models to the latest images and wants to

This is the form of fighter.

Features of the product is a complete distortion to reproduce.

Landing Gear also includes the tarmac when to reproduce.

Inside the cockpit of the pilot Alto suit is included.

To reproduce the flying scenes were released during the "plastic models Bandai Action

- 1 "is used for this event.

Arms, legs walk to expand the moth form.

The point is the inverse HIZA broken frame and peach withdrawal mechanism

With movable parts and a lack of strength trouble.

GANPODDO with the action poses to reproduce.

Behind the shield is also included with a knife.

Nose and head out to stand a chance折りたBATOROIDO form.

Everyone here is worrying about what's happening to him.

In fact, the picture is not visible to the back cockpit.

Whether your product would be.

The point is the nose and folding it back axis.

Lumbar spine by moving around from side to side.

That makes the angle of the nose and dramatic action poses, is reproducible.

In addition to reproduce the deployment GANPODDO SOERU Hirate is provided for the

Pose is often determined by the brackets.

Parts of the transformation as well as a good range of movement.

This product is not the only advantage.

Wing and nose, leg and other components of the actual equipment to reproduce the taste of the mold.

Assembly, but enjoy it.

After the gimmick assembled to enjoy the transformation would be.

Macross fans who have待ちわびたF VF-25 launch.

Whether the department would be carrying a leg.

Thank you.

And the original Japanese text: -

バンダイプラモデル 「1/72VF-25Fメサイアバルキリー アルト機」 紹介します!!

はじめまして。

バンダイホビー事業部でプラモデルの開発担当をしていますウッチーと

申します。

9月中旬発売予定のプラモデルを最新画像と合わせて紹介したいと

思います。

こちらがファイター形態になります。

商品の特長ですが完全変形の再現になります。

ランディングギアも付属し駐機時を再現できます。

コクピット内部にはのパイロットスーツのアルトが付属します。

飛行シーンを再現するには発売中の「バンダイプラモデル アクション

ベース1」を使用をオススメします。

腕、脚が展開しガウォーク形態になります。

ここでのポイントはヒザの逆折れとモモのフレームの引き出し機構

になります。

可動のさせ方とパーツの強度不足に苦労しました。

ガンポッドが付属しアクションポーズを再現できます。

シールドの裏にはナイフも収納されています。

そして機首が折りたたまり頭が出てバトロイド形態になります。

ここは誰もがどうなっているか気になるところだと思います。

画像では見えませんが実はコクピットは背中にあります。

是非商品でご確認いただければと思います。

ここでのポイントは機首の折りたたみ方と腰の軸になります。

腰の軸により前後左右に可動します。

それにより機首の角度と劇中でのアクションポーズが再現可能となります。

さらにガンポッドの展開を再現しそえるための平手が付属することで、

ポーズがカッコよく決まります。

変形だけでなく各部の可動範囲も良好です。

商品の特長はこれだけではありません。

主翼やノーズ、脚部など各部に実機テイストのモールドを再現しています。

組立ながらも見て楽しむことができます。

組み立てた後は変形ギミックを堪能していただければと思います。

マクロスFファンなら誰もが待ちわびたVF-25の発売になります。

是非売り場に足を運んでいただければと思います。

よろしくお願いします。

There's also some new pics on the blog.

Graham

There's only one new information there that was not presented before. The hips move backwards and forwards, as well as move left to right.

One interesting note in there - the writer said it was hard work in getting the double jointed knees and spreading out thighs to move correctly while having appropriate strength on the parts.

Even when you correct the photo to take out the slight tilt of the camera things still look off. the whole left side is higher up but the left engine is lower. also the left landing gear is appears to be farther back, now the photo may be slightly to the left of center, but not much and I don't think enough to account for everything. Something is definitely off.

Frankly, this is no different than when Star Trek modelers wind up with crooked nacelles on their Federation starship models - all it really means is that the kit is a kit, and you need to align things sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it.

You know, I've been thinking about this "New UN Spacy" thing - didn't the opening of Macross 7 (like episode 1-10) actually specifically say that at the end of the war the "new" UN was formed in the alliance with the Zentradi? As in "shin" tougou seifu... Could it be that it's the same UN Spacy that existed for the previous 48 years, and they just changed the name?

Although I do think there is a bit of a symetry problem with the sample on display, and I don't think it's a camera angle problem, that could probably be an assembly issue and the final result will greatly depend on the builder's skills.

What concerns me is the fact that the model does not seem to hold very tightly, so the transformation may turn out to be less attractive.

I am surprised nobody noticed the model's nose gear is right below the SMS logo, while in the CGI, the nose gear is placed under the windshield, considerably further aft.

What concerns me is the fact that the model does not seem to hold very tightly, so the transformation may turn out to be less attractive.

Again, it is a transforming kit. Not a toy. Stability on these kinds of kits is always an issue.

Also, the little supporting plastic under the gunpod/near the head is consistently showing up in almost every picture of the model in fighter mode...makes me wonder if there is a inherent weakness at that point making the extra support necessary (this would also link back to the problem of left/right symmetry).

I'm guessing that if that little support piece isn't in place the entire model folds due to the weakness of the joints. I think I'll build mine as un-transformable and just round file the polycaps.

Steve

OR that model was quickly and badly constructed to be on display for a short time at a hobby show. I see tears in the decals on it and some other stuff that leads to this.

In my opinion Yes and No, because as I said, the end product will depend greatly on the builder's skills and experience, but then the phographed finished samples (production or prototype) are almost always WITH that support, meaning it should not be an isolated case (and no, it's not the same built, because some have painted landing gear and some have tinted cockpit glass...).

I am still looking forward to the final product and still may get at least one.

Frankly, this is no different than when Star Trek modelers wind up with crooked nacelles on their Federation starship models - all it really means is that the kit is a kit, and you need to align things sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it.

I understand that, I just wanted to make clear that it was the kit and not the photo that was crooked.

You know, I've been thinking about this "New UN Spacy" thing - didn't the opening of Macross 7 (like episode 1-10) actually specifically say that at the end of the war the "new" UN was formed in the alliance with the Zentradi? As in "shin" tougou seifu... Could it be that it's the same UN Spacy that existed for the previous 48 years, and they just changed the name?

Yeah, I think it's pretty much agreed upon that SK retconed "UN Spacy" into having been "New UN Spacy" since the end of SDF:M

Ok, so here is a stupid noob question....

I am new to modelling. I have very little experience and not a lot of time.

But here is my question. . .

Can this kit be built by only

1.clipping off the sprues

2.sanding down the sprue leftovers,

3.fitting and gluing together

4.detailing with gundam markers?

Would that cut it?

I dont know if I have it in me to do the full thing with perfect fitting with putty, and primer paint, and masking, and painting in addition to the above.

What do you think?

Ok, so here is a stupid noob question....

I am new to modelling. I have very little experience and not a lot of time.

Would that cut it?

I dont know if I have it in me to do the full thing with perfect fitting with putty, and primer paint, and masking, and painting in addition to the above.

What do you think?

You would also need to add the decals, as most of the red and black markings are supplied as water-slide decals.

But, yeah, it should look OK with the steps you list. That's exactly what I plan to do as well, as I am far, far from being a modeller and can't paint to save my life.

Graham

And my plan as well. Though I might go with more of a wash than Gundam markers (I've got a new product to try). And you probably won't need to glue any of it.

I suck at painting, but can decal with the best---so this kit is pretty much designed for exactly my skills.

Would that cut it?

Of course. It may not look like this guy's work:

exiatop.jpg

But really, it's your model. You make it look like however you want.

Bandai does a really good job of making kits that need very little done to them to look good.

I'm still wondering if glue will even be necessary... as far as I know, Bandai doesn't make many kits requiring glue...

By the way, I read earlier in the forum that some of the parts may be made out of ABS plastic?

Anyone know if that is still true?

Bandai has used multiple types of plastic for quite a while now in MG and higher kits. (Maybe some HG as well?) A PG kit can have a BUNCH of different types of plastic, and I think even multiple types of plastic on the same sprue (fingers).

A complex Bandai kit will use polystyrene (PS), polyethylene (PE), ABS, and PVC. And they convienently mark each type on the sprue.

Thanks everyone for the answers. That is great. I am glad I ordered this one as I like the battroid mode on this kit more than the 1/60 "so far".

I think I will test my skills on this type of assembly on my bandai Glaug kit before I go ahead and try the VF-25.

David, what kind of wash were you planning to use?

I use the promodeller wash for my aircraft model kits. It really is very easy to use and pretty much hassle free.

Can't wait to see what the bandai kits look like in person, even though i would have prefered a hasegawa non-transformable kit. Then again i would have loved a hasegawa VF-11B but i guess thats just a pipe dream.

Why can't they release 2 days earlier? before i leave japan?? :(:(:(

i am in japan this week!! why not release earlier? so i can bring some good macross frontier valks!!

:(:(

Well, the 18th is the shelf date. One might assume that the various shops will get them in before the date and simply not put them out until then - that's how many releases work in the US, and why things also get released prematurely - occasionally you'll find things on the shelves a few weeks before they're supposed to be there, because someone didn't know about the release date and just put it out like so much product. Brush up on your Japanese and make friends with the hobby shop owners :D