Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Does anyone have a good guess for the kit's weight and box size? I'm trying to figure out how much it'd cost via EMS based on other MG kits of equal cost, but that's not working at all---there are Y3000 kits that cost 36 bucks to ship EMS, and Y4500 kits that cost less than 20. If it'd be like 15-18 I'd do it, but no way am I paying 36 bucks...

::edit: Is EMS based more on SIZE than weight in some cases? (because many Zoids cost a ton, despite being fairly light---just big)

The v2 1/60 costs right around 20, which actually seems quite cheap. Is EMS based more on SIZE than weight? (because many Zoids cost a ton, despite being fairly light---just big)

I know if a big box is light UPS will charge "Dimensional Weight". That's the average weight of a box that size. So yeah, they could be charging for volume at some point.

Heard from a friend who went Akiharbara yesterday to look.. unfortunately i cannot go... the valk isn't out till 18th...sighs..

Status report: no Vf-25 in the radar...will keep surveying. Some shops said it could be around by the end of the month, but Japan should stick the the announced date (18th) I guess.

I just discovered that hwjapan did give me an EMS quote after all: ¥3700

Guess I'm glad I picked SAL then.

I want to get some of this stuff for this kit. Which color should I use, Black, light dirt or Dark Dirt?

I'm getting dark dirt. Light dirt is like white, it's for highlighting things on black, and isn't really for "panel lines" per se.

Love the look of this kit over the toy.

What I would have liked for bandai to do is instead of have that 1/100 part swapping macross toy line, they just do 1/72 transforming models (of everything) instead.

Most of my toys I leave in one mode or pose for a very long time and rarely if ever play with it. The only reason I go towards toys over kits is because of time/patience to have to build kits. But I prefer the look of them.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Most of my toys I leave in one mode or pose for a very long time and rarely if ever play with it. The only reason I go towards toys over kits is because of time/patience to have to build kits. But I prefer the look of them.

Then this kind of Bandai toy/model is really ideal:

1) it is a lot easier and fastor to build than a traditional kit, but still gives you the satisfaction of "I built it myself"

2) it is cheaper than toys, which in Yamato's case, they're awesome, but also come at awesome prices and have some QC problems.

Bandai is going to price the DX 1/60 cheaper than the Yamato Macross toys, but I have no idea if it can compare to them once we see the actual product. I personally have no experience with Bandai Chogokin DX stuff, but love Gunpla for their concept and quality.

Can't wait to get my hands on the VF-25, landing gear/support issue and all: Batroid looks too cool (Off topic: Ozma custom would be better, I am a bit tired of the Alto Saotome character.

Looking forward to the Ozma myself. One thing's for sure, I'm definitely using the water slide decal for that big skull insignia on the back. Though Bandai coming up with the Alto custom first is a smart move on their part, to be honest.

1) It's a main character valk.

2) It's the simplest VF-25 in the whole show.

3) Not too many marking to be printed on sticker/decals.

Though they could've come with the removable super/armoured packs as well in the first release for maximum variety, I suppose we can't win everything. If those versions do come out later, I hope the packs will be removable and interchangeable with the existing VF-25 models.

I'm getting dark dirt. Light dirt is like white, it's for highlighting things on black, and isn't really for "panel lines" per se.

Thanks! I will order some today.

EDIT: Just placed my order with Sprue Brothers.

Edited by miriya

Heh, have you seen the sticker and Decal sheets for Alto's VF-25F?

Its has tons of markings.

Graham

Hooray! Thanks Graham! :D Still, not as much or elaborate as one would expect from Ozma or even Luca's 25.

Just.... 3.... more.... days.... ack.... (and maybe longer till the usual orders appear on HLJ :( )

Alright did we ever really figure out of this kit is perfect transformation or not? I know the gear are swappable, which is good, and the pictures seem to hint at perfect transformation, then we have mickeaseyou on here who said he handled one of the kits at the show and said it was pt(I think?). If this kit is pt I may pick it up, its gorgeous~!

Alright did we ever really figure out of this kit is perfect transformation or not? I know the gear are swappable, which is good, and the pictures seem to hint at perfect transformation, then we have mickeaseyou on here who said he handled one of the kits at the show and said it was pt(I think?). If this kit is pt I may pick it up, its gorgeous~!

I'm pretty sure it is perfect.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read through most of the 20 pages of this topic.

Looking forward to the Ozma myself. One thing's for sure, I'm definitely using the water slide decal for that big skull insignia on the back. Though Bandai coming up with the Alto custom first is a smart move on their part, to be honest.

I know, that's the strategy, and I am sure I will be all over the Ozma one once it's released...and if the reverse was the case, I'd probably never get the Alto one! Hmm...should I wait? Coloring is different, Bandai needs to use different colored plastic and a different conbination of stickers/decals/colored plastic if they want to keep it in line with Gunpla...

Heh, have you seen the sticker and Decal sheets for Alto's VF-25F? Its has tons of markings.

Graham

Have you already seen it in the shops or are you referring to the pictures on that japanese site? I am contradicting myself, but I think I will not be able to hold myself for the Ozma VF-25!

Edited by regult

I hope to get a payment request from HLJ tomorrow!!!! The box art rocks. worthy of display IMO. This is by far the most excited I have ever been for a model kit. Considering that I have only ever completed one kit (so far - others are in the works - slowly) it may not seem like much. I do plan to complete this kit as fast as possible while still making it look good.

Gonna apply the weathering wash to the pieces still on the sprues.

QUESTION:

If I am not painting it do I still need to wash off the mold release with soap and water before I apply the weathering wash and the gundam markers or is it good to go as is? Anyone?

Bandai is remarkably good about the cleanliness of their molds etc---if there's any you don't NEED to wash, it'd be Bandai. Personally, I'd just wash the white parts.

Thanks David.

One more question for you. And I am sorry if I already asked you (i cant remember), but are you going to put clear coat over the weathering wash? And if so which kind? Thanks.

Looks awesome.

So what's happening with regards to the armor packs? (super and armored)

Is it going to be a seperate set of parts that can be removed and taken off the model, or will a model of the valks with the pack on them be released?

And VF-171? Bandai announced anything on that?

No news about any of the above. :(

If Bandai does release 1/72 kits of the Super and Armoured Packs, I bet it will be together with the VF-25, not separate.

Graham

wow, i did not knew this fact wich i read in those scans is that shinsei industry participated along with L.A.I. in the development of the VF-25. Man i can't wait to have tha beauty in my hands. To bad that in this side of the world we have to wait more. :(

Edited by striderhiryu