Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

Frankly I don't care who the hell makes it even if they wear Earth Federation uniforms. Just make me the god damn toy solid, anime accurate and filled with nice gimmicks. Thats all I and most people want out of this. Simple and straight forward. All is now is to play the waiting game.

I think you have missed an entire thread lol

the fact is that bandai will make Macross F toys and models because they have the licence. Yamato or hasegawa will have to wait.

Yamato still have the licence for other Macross products.

I caught all that but it sounds like some people think Bandai is going to somehow by exclusive rights to all Macross franchises if Mac F does really well... It seems like there's a healthy amount of over-reaction in this thread but such is the Internet.

Those pictures may have been taken during Wonderfest and the Bandai reps were probably dressed like that all day, or had just come from a Gundam presentation with no time to change clothes. Even if they were to meet with Nightow later on for a Trigun discussion, its not like they would change clothes.

Anyways I am itching to see more prototypes. It would be awesome if the 1/100 line has interconnecting stands like the HCMpro line has. Or a hangar display to store weapons and FAST pack parts like the SHCMpro. Who knows, maybe the 1/100 line will branch off into Macross 7, and the fan favorites get made in 1/60. If they still have the Macross 7 license(which is oft blamed for Yamato not being able to make Macross 7 toys), we can have hope that Bandai makes use of it in that scale. I'd love to see a 1/60 VF-17 and Blazer valk accompany my DX VF-25s. This way we get more valkyries, and Bandai still doesn't step on Yamato's toys. Instead of a YF-19, Bandai pulls out a VF-19S or Fire Valk. Instead of a YF-21, Bandai whips out the Max and Milia VF-22s. At the end of the day we are all happy and no one complains about the same valk made by 2 companies.

I hope the VF-25 DX toys are out in summer.

Regarding Bandai staff wearing Gundam uniforms, thats their official working uniforms in the GUNPLA Factory, many videos have been posted in MW about it. Besides Bandai produces very good QC toys from other well known franchises (no need to mention them) . Oh anyway its good to see Gundam and Macross together.

Most people here don't understand professionalism. I don't rock up to work and deal drugs in a shorts and gym shirt, neither do I rock up to a Judo seminar in a Kung Fu uniform. Toy making is a profession, and it is an employee's job to look professional.

One good thing about Bandai, is their product development lead time is usually shorter than Yamato. Hopefully, they will be able to release the toys while the show is still on the air.

However, if what we have seen in the pics is their present state of progress so far, it's likely we won't see any transforming toys until the show is already half to three quarters over.

Graham

Most people here don't understand professionalism. I don't rock up to work and deal drugs in a shorts and gym shirt, neither do I rock up to a Judo seminar in a Kung Fu uniform. Toy making is a profession, and it is an employee's job to look professional.

LOL you never saw how programmers dress at work?

Edited by CF18

Bandai's QC is a league above the rest, but not exactly perfect.

their efforts also swing back & forth from mediocre to fantastic. they do a couple of stupid things on occasion too.

take their new 00 kits, compared to the SEED ones, they seem kinda lacking with the engineering.

they seem like they were made just for the sake of having toys months after the start of the show.

they could be doing the same thing with F. i hope not.

then there's their 'premiere' SOC line. ie: the Voltes V. for some reason, they decided to use red plastic on parts that should be gray/silver & just painted them the correct color. wouldn't it have been better if they used the correct color for the plastic?

i know, 'cuz i had to take mine apart due to a jammed spring-loaded tower on the thighs.

that said, i hope Bandai's F toys rock. and rock hard, with a reasonable price tag ^_^

who knows, this could be the push we've all been waiting for.

LOL you never saw how programmers dress at work?

Black pants and company issue shirts where I come from. Here, where there are a number of small businesses, there is a lot of client interaction. I've heard of the work at home type who don't shave, shower or even wear clothes, but they don't see their clients.

Too late now anyway let's just see what they do with the licence.

Edited by kensei

Frankly I don't care who the hell makes it even if they wear Earth Federation uniforms. Just make me the god damn toy solid, anime accurate and filled with nice gimmicks. Thats all I and most people want out of this. Simple and straight forward.

QFT.

That's exactly how I feel, I don't care who makes it, or even if they spend their breaks frolicking through the fields buck naked with hamsters strapped to their thighs while screaming out the band names of mayonnaise. As long as the 1/60 VF-25 rocks, I could care less who makes the damned thing.

-Kyp

If Bandai backs Kawamori's films, then it's Bandai > Kawamori & co.

But then again, it's just a Bandai uniform that happens to be of Gundam design and Kawamori was at their office for a meeting. The staff at Bandai probably knew what Kawamori is all about (being one of the top 3 mecha designers in the world and all)... how are they gonna do good work if they are easily intimidated by that fact and not wear what they want or what they are required to wear?

It'd be interesting to see when Macross can help Bandai make as much money as Gundam did, when they start wearing bridge bunny suits to a Tomino / Katoki new Gundam toyline briefing. :lol:

Gundam 00 season 1 ends in what, 4 more weeks? That's just perfect for Macross F to start its April run, ending just in time for 00 season 2 to pick up in October. That's how smooth the planning is. I just hope the toys turn out just as well.

I seriously doubt that Bandai's 1/60 valks will be any cheaper than Yamato's current offerings. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if they were slightly more expensive because this is their first foray into this market with a toy whose transformation is much more complex than anything in the SOC line. I hope that they get a few samples of Yamato's current offerings to dissect what they have done (what's worked, what could have been done better, etc). I think that its kinda funny that so many people implicitly assume that Bandai will do a better job than Yamato in this arena. I'd be happy if they come close to the standard that Yamato has achieved with the yf-19 and the sv-51. Very few companies nail their 1st attempt at something. I hope that the 1/60 isn't made primarily of metal--like the SOC line. Because metal, transforming toys, and paint usually don't go over too well.

I don't know how did you come up with that crazy fanboy non-sense. That is just a company unitform. You don't wear suit to design a toy.

owned!!!

The Bandai staff turning up to a meeting about Macross Frontier with Kawamori-san, who is one of the top three mecha designers in Japan (if not the world) and the main the creator of Macross, while wearing Gundam jackets is a definitely being a tad disrespectful in my opinion. I know if I had been Kawamori, I would not have been pleased.

graham i know u own this site n all and i'm grateful for having u represent our wishes to yamato and i don't mean any disrespect, but seriously, this whole issue of discussing bandai's corporate attire is ridiculously off topic. aren't we all forgetting that kawamori started out as a huge gundam fan, and created a gundam fan club at his college with friends mikimoto and miyatake before eventually joining studio nue.

Regarding Bandai staff wearing Gundam uniforms, thats their official working uniforms in the GUNPLA Factory, many videos have been posted in MW about it. Besides Bandai produces very good QC toys from other well known franchises (no need to mention them) . Oh anyway its good to see Gundam and Macross together.

It does seem kinda odd that's all. (in a geeky sense)

If Bandai is cheaper than Yamato, as they are a bigger company, and the quality/looks is good enough, then Yamato may have to drop its prices too, no??? guess not...

It would be all about demand and production cost. I don't know how big are the production facilities of Yamato but I am sure that Bandai wouldn't have problems producing large quantities of VF's for low cost.

I seriously doubt that Bandai's 1/60 valks will be any cheaper than Yamato's current offerings. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if they were slightly more expensive because this is their first foray into this market with a toy whose transformation is much more complex than anything in the SOC line. I hope that they get a few samples of Yamato's current offerings to dissect what they have done (what's worked, what could have been done better, etc). I think that its kinda funny that so many people implicitly assume that Bandai will do a better job than Yamato in this arena. I'd be happy if they come close to the standard that Yamato has achieved with the yf-19 and the sv-51. Very few companies nail their 1st attempt at something. I hope that the 1/60 isn't made primarily of metal--like the SOC line. Because metal, transforming toys, and paint usually don't go over too well.

Yeah I'm not that big a fan of metal either. That's one of the reasons I don't own any transformer binaltechs.

Transforming toys are better off being plastic if you intend to handle them a lot. If they can kill two birds with 1 stone making it plastic like the yamato 1/60 (save money plus make the toy more handle-friendly) then that'd be good.

I can't tell the difference when looking at an alternator and binaltech in side by side pics. MY 1/72 yf-21 has lots of paint flaking off the thighs. :( Good thing the upcoming 1/60 is replacing it and I won't have to worry about stuff like that anymore..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Gundam 00 season 1 ends in what, 4 more weeks? That's just perfect for Macross F to start its April run, ending just in time for 00 season 2 to pick up in October. That's how smooth the planning is. I just hope the toys turn out just as well.

There is the other benefit of being sponsored by Bandai, they scheduled both potential money makers separately to maximize their return on investment.

If their toy line is of the same quality of recent offerings, we have little to worry about. They also have the clout to really make Yamato squirm if they release VF's of similar quality at a lower price from not only Mac F, but the other two shows they've sponsored. Designs Yammie has never had access to.

My greater concern is over the quality of the model kits. It's pretty hard to compete with the quality level of Hasegawa.

My greater concern is over the quality of the model kits. It's pretty hard to compete with the quality level of Hasegawa.

If they make the kits anywhere like the Perfect Grade, Master Grade, or HGUC Gundam kits, it'll be AWESOME (arguably perhaps better than what Hasegawa could do).

Edited by Vifam7

Because metal, transforming toys, and paint usually don't go over too well.

They don't go well with Yamato, not Bandai.

I think that its kinda funny that so many people implicitly assume that Bandai will do a better job than Yamato in this arena.

The slumbering giant vs the little guy who tried? The slumbering giant finally awoke, they might blow Yamato's efforts away.

Compare the various reviews of the recent SOC's compared to the reviews of Yamato's latest valkyries. What do you get? Broken VF-0 arms until 3rd release, aft canopy folding hinge breakages on the YF-19, and possibly others. Sure some might be isolated cases, and this is not saying the SOC's are problem free, but there is a big difference. Even some of the diehard suckup apologists here started getting pissed once their VF-0 arms broke. No not all VF-0's are breakage prone, but to say everyone was happy and smiled while staring at a ripped off arm, wait for HLJ replacement that is still breaks, and shuddered at spending $210+ for a "fixed" Ghost bundle, would be a lie. Did we hear anything similar with SOC Baikanfu? Did we hear anything with the Soulspec Dragonar? The list goes on. Again there are some problems with SOC, but nothing on the scale of Yamato's valkyries. Yea the new qc guy made sure the Nora and quite possibly the 21 will be of high qc, but he sure as hell wasn't there for the past valks.

Bandai has a lot of experience, just never did anything catering to collectors with Macross since the mid 80s with their HCMpro. Did any of you think that maybe they didn't take on Yamato years back with new products was because they did not have the licenses Yamato had? Maybe they wanted to do a 1/60 but couldn't when Yamato had the 1/60 VF-1 license. There was no Macross F at that time, and Yamato may have had the Macross Zero license before Bandai could get one. What opportunity do they have now that Yamato does not? First dibs on the F license. To compare their previous Macross efforts to what they can do now is ridiculous. 1994 was a far different market than now.

I think we will get great toys from Bandai, but still have people wanting them to fail, because Yamato won't have the license for a couple of years. If Yamato ever makes Macross F toys, and some of those break, there will be apologists saying its understandable because they are doing something new and that Bandai's suck because they came out years earlier. No doubt Yamato could design a nice looking valkyrie, but I am more questionable with Yamato's quality than Bandai's. Yea Yamato is the little guy but questionable quality is questionable quality. Look at it like the military toy market. 21st makes aesthetically pleasing designs, and is a smaller company than BBI. BBI's quality blows 21st out of the water and is very similar in aesthetics to 21st. BBI just never puts out as much stuff as 21st. 21st has the edge in accuracy, but BBI has shown that they have caught up, though like Bandai, are a sleeping giant, and seemingly come out of nowhere. See a parallel?

I just want some good toys. I just think Bandai is more capable of making something I want.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Yea the new qc guy made sure the Nora and quite possibly the 21 will be of high qc, but he sure as hell wasn't there for the past valks.

Yep even the diehard yamato fans had to concede there was no excuse for that. This is like the Yamato equivalent to microsoft's red ring of death on their xbox360. Very frustrating.

But remember that even for its time the chunky 1/65 were lazy lazy lazy designs. Massive chunk of the thigh missing on the back of the leg for the vf-19. Crap landing gear for the vf-17. No release of the VF-11. Crap proportion in plane modes to make battroid look better. With yamato they are releasing all the stuff based on the diehard fan demand during a time when there is a drought and going back to older release (like 1/72 mac plus, and 1/60 sdfM) toys and improving and remaking them to be better. (in the form of 1/60 mac+ valks, newer 1/60 vf-1 for example)

So although the first releases have had problems, people were still happy that something is at least being done during those years when they can't find anything new.

Now why didn't during all that time, bandai not want to make us a new vf-17 1/60 from then till now? (instead of re-releasing the existing stuff?) Because gundam is their main cash cow and they could make more from that robot show is my guess. And now that mac F is coming it's another opportunity (new show, so not as much risk to start making toys now) to appeal to the mainstream. After that they might neglect to make anything new from the show. (just like with macross 7 in how we never saw a vf-22, never saw a vf-11c, never saw a redone vf-17 with more realistic proportions. No excuses!) Generally fans feel the neglect but don't doubt the quality they are capable of, which is why they are angry. Such a waste of a license if it doesn't get used, you know what we are saying?

I guess what all this whining and complaining achieves is that it lets them know that we have been dying for something more and hopefully this translates into more of their attention on macross beyond the mainstream lines during a safe time when the show is being first shown on tv and gets exposure. I am quite happy with them being able to make the vf-25, but not going to make excuses for them for not releasing new toys in the past. But I am also just as disappointed with the yamato mistakes as the rest of you. It's not helped by the fact that HG/toynami issues make it hard for the first release buyer to not be able to get replacements. It's possible to hate both companies for different reasons. (ie one will sit on a license for ages, the other rushes the toys and makes the first release buyers have to worry about QC or design problems which shouldn't be there after all the experience they should have gained by learning from mistakes made in the past and avoiding them in future toys)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

But remember that even for its time the chunky 1/65 were lazy lazy lazy. Massive chunk of the thigh missing on the back of the leg for the vf-19. Crap landing gear for the vf-17. Crap proportion in plane modes to make battroid look better.

Why didn't during all that time, make us a vf-17 1/60 from then till now? Because gundam is their main cash cow and they could make more from that robot show is my guess.

Because even the gundam toys sucked back then, and were lazy too. Again those were marketed to kids, not like the takatoku 1/55s, which were geared towards not only kids but the older audience, since at the time, it was one of the most realistic toys in the market. In 1994 there were kids, kids kids. This is 14 years later, with regards to kids being born in japan, there is what we call decline in birth rate. Comparing the toys of 1994 to the future toys later this year is like comparing the 1995 Master Grade Gundam to the Master Grade Gundam 2.0.

Bandai has a lot of experience, just never did anything catering to collectors with Macross since the mid 80s with their HCMpro. Did any of you think that maybe they didn't take on Yamato years back with new products was because they did not have the licenses Yamato had? Maybe they wanted to do a 1/60 but couldn't when Yamato had the 1/60 VF-1 license. There was no Macross F at that time, and Yamato may have had the Macross Zero license before Bandai could get one. What opportunity do they have now that Yamato does not? First dibs on the F license. To compare their previous Macross efforts to what they can do now is ridiculous. 1994 was a far different market than now.

**Cough** Macross 7.... **cough** Macross II **cough**

Bandai had plenty enough licenses to compete with Yamato in the 1/60 scale sandbox, but chose not to play. They stuck with their bread and butter Gundam merch.

After seeing how much Yammie was making with their 1/60, 1/72 and 1/48 Valks, I'm sure they stood up and took notice that the Macross fan market actually had the money to afford higher end collectible toys.

Now with Mac F, they have a perfect "excuse" to compete directly with Yamato. Both are licensed for different shows, but they are both after the same Macross fan's pocketbook.

So things could get interesting on the toy front in the next few years...