The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

I figured I'd throw my deal up here, never know when it will help someone else.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Mobo: MSI P965 Platinum Limited Edition

RAM: Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4, DDR2-800, 1GB (x2)

GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS, 640MB DDR3, Superclocked

HDD: Seagate ST3160812AS, 160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II (x2)

Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS

PSU: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550

Case: Lian Li PC-V1000

I put this thing together a little over a month ago. The hard drives and sound card are hold overs from my last build, as is the Lian Li case. My 3rd self built system. It was hard giving up on AMD after so long, but the Core 2 Duo's are just SO good, I would have been doing myself a disservice if I hadn't gone Intel.

My experiences thus far:

The MSI mobo got great reviews, and its a great stock performer, but it has problems. There have been USB issues and RAM timing issues. Latest BIOS is 1.4, with 1.5 in beta, and each release is buggier than the next. The biggest problem I have had is with RAM timings. My Corsair RAM is rated at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v, but setting CAS Latency in the BIOS to 4 actually sets it to 3. There is no way to set it to 4, and its been an issue since release last September. So, I am forced to relax timings or suffer severe stability issues.

I went back and forth between the MSI mobo and the popular ASUS P5B Deluxe, and decided to save myself 40 bucks and go with the well reviewed MSI. That was a mistake. Right now I am just holding out for the new Intel chipset coming out in the coming months.

On the Corsair RAM. It seems they are (as of last summer/fall) using cheaper quality RAM on their sticks unless you buy their very top tier products. I paid the same price for the exact 2GB of RAM that not even a year ago was a higher quality product. Its simply not what it was. Same money would have gotten me the same timings and higher quality RAM from another vendor.

Ah yes, the big boy, the video card. The GeForce 8800 is blazing fast, its big, and surprisingly quiet. I've been an ATi user FOREVER, this is my first nVidia card. Now, I may have been spoiled, but man, nVidia is HORRID when it comes to driver support. I had no idea, and reading what there is to read out there, this seems to be a pretty standard issue for them. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy the 8800 again, the driver issue is more of a nag than a true issue (at this point atleast).

Anywho, just my experience with the current hardware out there.

Edited by Duke Togo

OK i have got a Dell Dimension 9100 with 1GB of RAM and would like to add 2 x 1GB from crucial for a total of 3GB.

So here is my question:

My current memory runs at 1.8V but the memory I'm interested in runs at 2.2V.

Is it possible to mix and match both at the same time?

Don't worry about the type/speeds/bandwidth and all that, I have got that covered.

I read through the thread and I think David Hingtgen had a similar dilemma, but it wasn't quite clear what he did in the end.

So here is my question:

My current memory runs at 1.8V but the memory I'm interested in runs at 2.2V.

Is it possible to mix and match both at the same time?

Don't worry about the type/speeds/bandwidth and all that, I have got that covered.

IIRC, you can only run RAM at one voltage (all or nothing). So you can't run your 1.8V RAM at 2.2V and run your 2.2V stuff at 1.8V. Doesn't work that way. They either have to run at 1.8V or 2.2V. Now, if the 2.2V RAM can be ran at 1.8V (or alternatively, can the 1.8V stuff run at 2.2V), then you shouldn't have a problem. But if it does need 2.2V, then you can only have 1 set of RAM in there, Either the 1.8V sticks or the 2.2V sticks. Another question is, can you adjust or can the motherboard adjust the voltage?

edit...I seriously need coffee in the morning.

Is your current 1GB a single stick, or 2 512's, or what?

Also--buy whatever RAM matches your voltage. Generally, 2.2V RAM is "higher performance" RAM than 1.8V. But if your motherboard came with 1.8V, the odds are good it won't like trying to power 2.2V, and the 2.2V will not like running at 1.8V, if it can do it at all.

Basically---any OEM RAM you have is probably cheap RAM, and buying high-quality RAM is pointless since you won't be able to take advantage of its capabilities if you use it with your cheap RAM, and it might not even be compatible to start with. I found RAM at Crucial that exactly matched my OEM RAM, just "bigger"---and went with that. No problems that I'm aware of, and I've got cool-running, Dual-Channel mode.

Ok guys, its time for me to upgrade my PC, my current setup is AMD XP 2500+, X800pro, 2gig ram, and its beginning to struggle with games.

WHat I mostly do with my PC is Gaming and web surfing.

I have about $700 Budget to replace Mobo, CPU, Ram, Vid Card and PSU.

This is what I had in mind so far, what do you guys think?

MOBO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131022

CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103778

Ram:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16820231098

Video Card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130082

PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817153029

post-723-1177112074_thumb.jpg

Ok guys, its time for me to upgrade my PC, my current setup is AMD XP 2500+, X800pro, 2gig ram, and its beginning to struggle with games.

WHat I mostly do with my PC is Gaming and web surfing.

I have about $700 Budget to replace Mobo, CPU, Ram, Vid Card and PSU.

I see nothing wrong with this setup under that budget. If you have to make cuts, I would look at the video card. A 7950-series or 8600-series (if you are looking at DX10) would be a cheaper option. Another cut is the motherboard. I have this motherboard (link) spec'd for a budget box I'm working on. It might be a good alternative to the Asus board.

does anyone have any idea about any bluetooth headsets? i'm deaf out of one of my right ear and i mostly see headsets made for the right ear...i've bought several headsets before for my phone and none of them could really switch ear piece for the left side...

I'm raplacing the mobo with this one instead, since i can get it in a combo with the cpu i want

http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?...N82E16813188016

What I am trying to find is a cheaper psu that can handle that system, do you think the one I currently have can handle it?

this is the one I have right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

does anyone have any idea about any bluetooth headsets? i'm deaf out of one of my right ear and i mostly see headsets made for the right ear...i've bought several headsets before for my phone and none of them could really switch ear piece for the left side...

Some quick googling shows this one:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/...ooth-Headset/p1

What I am trying to find is a cheaper psu that can handle that system, do you think the one I currently have can handle it?

What other components do you have in your system?

A 430W should be able to handle it, but I would bump up to a 500W minimum just be on the safe side. That PSU in your previous post is a good deal for what you get. They have a Thermaltake 500W PSU for about $4 more, so 550W at the price listed is a good deal.

other stuff in the case are 5 120mm led fan, 1 200mm fan, 2 dvd drives, 1 hd and 1 pci 1 card (sound card)

I would stick with the 550W Thermaltake that you picked out in that case. All of those fans doesn't leave you with a lot of head-room with a 430W.

btw, thanks azrael for that suggestion for the Jabra JX10. I ended up going with another headset

I ended up finding out who the ipod nano belonged to and I'm going to give it back to them later on tonight after work. It seems the ipod I turned in that my neice stole belonged to a girl on her softball team... <_<

Now that I've got use to this ipod, I really want one for myself now. I was wondering if anyone had any issues with referbs directly from apple. I really want to get another nano. I found a referb of the 8gb nano for $200 on apple.com. I have a friend that buys mostly mac products, and he said that apple is really good with their referbs... Apparently apple installs new cases and makes the product as good as new, at least that's what his expierence was with this macbook and his 1st gen nano he bought... and again, any help is much appreciated :D

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

i just 2gb nano its pretty neat. i dont care for the

Hold Switch it tends to stay stuck in that mode.

annoying but its a hand me down so i live with it.

Pretty neat overall.

I may have to a bigger version down the line

maybe check the referbs too

also if anybody is thinking of making a micro pc this was a

pretty nice case used for my Mom

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811133033

Edited by Macross73

I'm thinking of buying a Home Theater PC so I can hook it up to my 46" LCD. However, I'm also interested in getting an HD sattalite package and don't really relish the thought of using one video input for the TV and the other for the PC.

Is there a video card that'll accept an HD signal that I can then output to my TV?

I'm thinking of buying a Home Theater PC so I can hook it up to my 46" LCD. However, I'm also interested in getting an HD sattalite package and don't really relish the thought of using one video input for the TV and the other for the PC.

Is there a video card that'll accept an HD signal that I can then output to my TV?

I'm not aware of video cards that can accept a HD signal, only output an HD signal.

i know haro already went with a different bluetooth but i would've picked up a Nokia BH-800, or a Aliph Jawbone, both of which have exceptional features and excellent sound quality.

Edited by emajnthis

Ok, here is a fun one, I have to temporarily go back to dial up, for about a month or two, hopeful not longer then that, while we wait for cable internet to be extended to my new house. Anyway, what is a good dial up ISP that won't require a long term contract?

Ok, here is a fun one, I have to temporarily go back to dial up, for about a month or two, hopeful not longer then that, while we wait for cable internet to be extended to my new house. Anyway, what is a good dial up ISP that won't require a long term contract?

Umm outpost.com has it for like $5 a month, I suppose you won't need a contract but double check since I only saw it on the front page(s) somewhere... :unsure:

I dunno about cable, but my DSL provider supplies subscribers with a free dial-up connection too.

I used it once as intended(emergency back-up) and once to take my Dreamcast online just for the hell of it.

I'm still using Firefox, and for some reason, I can't seem to get the damn thing to keep my passwrods.

I have to relogin everytime now for MW and other sites. Is there a way to stop that?

Also I've been through a major recovery session through the most inopportune time. Still pissed off, I'm just wondering how good Norton Ghost is to recover stuff?

I'm still using Firefox, and for some reason, I can't seem to get the damn thing to keep my passwrods.

I have to relogin everytime now for MW and other sites. Is there a way to stop that?

Try cleaning your cookies out, then logging back in. It's been known to help.

Also make sure the check box to make it remember you on the login screen is checked.

And if it's an accessible option, make sure Firefux isn't set to only allow session cookies. If it is, it'll delete them when you close the browser. (I don't really know what all's currently missing from Firefox. I know they stripped all the cookie options out way back in the day, then added some back in, but not which ones.)

AMD/ATi R600 reviews are streaming out now, and it looks like they blew their first foray into DX10. Not only are they playing catchup to Intel, they are now doing so to nVidia too. I'm quite happy to see my GeForce 8800 purchase was a solid choice.

AMD/ATi R600 reviews are streaming out now, and it looks like they blew their first foray into DX10. Not only are they playing catchup to Intel, they are now doing so to nVidia too. I'm quite happy to see my GeForce 8800 purchase was a solid choice.

I was disappointed too. ATI really messed up on the HD 2900 XT. It is slower than an GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB and draws more power. So the GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB will still be king for awhile. Hopefully the mainsteam cards will fair better. I was looking forward to a card that has HDMI with audio on the card versus having to run a separate audio cable to the card for HDMI sound out.

I was disappointed too. ATI really messed up on the HD 2900 XT. It is slower than an GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB and draws more power. So the GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB will still be king for awhile. Hopefully the mainsteam cards will fair better. I was looking forward to a card that has HDMI with audio on the card versus having to run a separate audio cable to the card for HDMI sound out.

ATI's performance is slightly lacking, but overall the cards match up performance wise when compared on different OS's (XP & Vista) plus the latest catalyst drivers have not been released yet. As far as expansion, i feel like the R600 platform based on its architecture will provide more over time with better drivers and overclocking. However, at face value, ATI took way too long to release this and it wasn't nearly what I was expecting in both performance and value. Guess you'll have to wait until they release the rival to the GTX and see which side the coin falls on; as for now, i'm going to wait a few months to see the GTX rival and see what CPU's come out before i build my next rig.

Anyone here know when the GeForce Go 8600 is going to start showing up in more laptops? I've only seen a few with it.

We should see them spring out within the next few months.

Not everyone is switching over to Santa Rosa just yet since Core2Duo still has some life in it. Santa Rosa's showing very minimal performance gain over the current C2D. Hopefully with bios updates, Santa Rosa will show a substantial performance gain to make people want to switch...

I hope we get some new stuff soon, though...

ATI's performance is slightly lacking, but overall the cards match up performance wise when compared on different OS's (XP & Vista) plus the latest catalyst drivers have not been released yet. As far as expansion, i feel like the R600 platform based on its architecture will provide more over time with better drivers and overclocking. However, at face value, ATI took way too long to release this and it wasn't nearly what I was expecting in both performance and value. Guess you'll have to wait until they release the rival to the GTX and see which side the coin falls on; as for now, i'm going to wait a few months to see the GTX rival and see what CPU's come out before i build my next rig.

The XTX is months away. And what they've got out now doesn't even match or beat Nvidia's tier three card (tier two if you don't count the 8800gtx Ultra). So, what are the hopes that a die shrink and higher clocks will approach the speeds of the 8800GTX (ultra or not)? I'd say pretty slim. And, even were it to do so, I wouldn't call a card that shows up nearly a year late to the competition with only matching performance a "rival."

I think the fandom for video card companies borders on the ridiculous. If AMD has the better CPU, I go with it. If Intel does, I get that. Same thing with video cards. The lengths some are going (elsewhere) to paint a rosey glow on the completely underwhelming performance of the long-awaited and long-delayed R600 is just sorta sad. People should be able to recognize a success and a lemon without getting emotionally involved (as others elsewhere have done).

I wish ATi had a better high-end card. You can bet that nvidia's recent release of the 8800 Ultra at such an extravagant price was due to them knowing by then that ATi had absolutely nothing on tap that could compete with them at the high end. Competition is a good thing. Right now, there isn't any.

H

I think the fandom for video card companies borders on the ridiculous. If AMD has the better CPU, I go with it. If Intel does, I get that. Same thing with video cards

I totally agree. I was a LONG time AMD and ATi user, and when it came down to my new build, I went where the quality was.

Also I've been through a major recovery session through the most inopportune time. Still pissed off, I'm just wondering how good Norton Ghost is to recover stuff?

Do you have Clear Private Data when closing turned on? If you do, make sure the Saved Passwords box is not checked in the settings option for Clear Private Data

You have more than one right ear? :lol:

i had the other one surgically removed years ago...i keep forgetting it's not there anymore :D

but seriously, thats the day i had to work graveyard unexpectedly...i was up for 24+ hours that day :lol:

i think i was tryna say that i couldn't hear out of one of my ears...then slipped in right ear...

so has anyone handled any Asus laptops? I've been looking to get one of their whitebooks or ensembles, primarily a 13.3-15.4inch laptop...