The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

Anybody have any idea which TV tuner card I should get. I am building my MCE to record stuff from cable. What do you suggest to build a MCE? My specs is a 2GB Ram, AMD x2 3800 and 500GB HDD. Still figuring on the video card and tv tuner.

So what video card would you recommend Azrael?

Depends on your price range and what you plan to do with it (which I'm guessing would be some high-end 3D modeling).

If you really can't wait till April, then then 7950GT would be your best bet. The mid and lower-end 8-series Nividia cards are due out in April (few things are happening in April, right after tax time) so you might want to consider waiting. I was planning to update last month, but the CPU price war and upcoming product lines has me on hold till April.

My only worry about going for the Nvidia 8-series is the compatibility with autocad, I didn't find out until after the fact that my current video card is no ACAD compatible. That is something I want to avoid running into again, so I have been checking the video cards against the ACAD compatibility chart, and it does not list the 8-series yet.

My only worry about going for the Nvidia 8-series is the compatibility with autocad, I didn't find out until after the fact that my current video card is no ACAD compatible. That is something I want to avoid running into again, so I have been checking the video cards against the ACAD compatibility chart, and it does not list the 8-series yet.

Newer models shouldnt be a problem. The 8 series are compatible with the ACAD 2008 (coming out in April) IIRC. Also ACAD2008 will have 64-bit option as well. So if you have a 64-bit O/S, you can install it. I can tell you however, when the testing is going on, previous ACAD versions are used in the system testing for the upcoming ACAD release. I dunno if you are going to get the new ACAD 2008 or not as they are expensive as hell.

I didn't even realize that 2008 was coming out, so much for me being in the loop, lol. So if I went with Vista, which the new machine looks like it is coming with, will I have any problems with ACAD2007?

Anybody have any idea which TV tuner card I should get. I am building my MCE to record stuff from cable. What do you suggest to build a MCE? My specs is a 2GB Ram, AMD x2 3800 and 500GB HDD. Still figuring on the video card and tv tuner.

I'd recommend throwing in a DVD burner in there as well for archiving. If you plan on encoding the stuff you record, it might be better to go with Intel instead of AMD. Intel is better for video encoding. RAM and your HD-size is fine.

As for you TV tuner, do you plan on recording HD programming? If you do, that does narrow things down a bit. For video, if you don't plan on heavy viewing on this system, you can spend a little less there.

I didn't even realize that 2008 was coming out, so much for me being in the loop, lol. So if I went with Vista, which the new machine looks like it is coming with, will I have any problems with ACAD2007?

As of now, ACAD 2007 is not 100% compatible with Vista (more like 98-99%). An update for 2007 will be coming out around the same time as ACAD 2008 (which is Vista compatible out-of-the-box).

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_line...ad_and_aut.html

As for you TV tuner, do you plan on recording HD programming?

Yes, I would like to in the future. I am also planning for Windows Vista upgrade later. Looking at reviews on these TV tuner cards I dunno which is good to get. I assume it would be better to get a remote? Some cards do not include remotes, so I can buy that seperately?

I plan on getting a DVD burner as well.

Sorry to jump back to a previous question. Arctic Silver 5 is the most well known thermal compound, but if you're very nitpicky about cooling performance (overclocker's namely) then Coollaboratories Liquid Pro is the best. The only problem with Liquid Pro is you cannot use them with aluminum based heatsinks as it will alloy to it (it has a high gallium content) and appear to literally melt it. The other high performing well known thermal compound is Arctic Cooling MX1, which tests show equal to CoolerMaster Premium and better than AS5.

Edit: forgot about coolermaster premium

Edited by emajnthis

Heads up guys, for those of you that are interested in getting Windows Vista but didn't want to pay the high prices there is an alternative. I decided to buy the System Builder (or call it OEM if you want) version Vista Ultimate and it works just fine, no functionalities have been cut out.

Normally the full version of Ultimate (retail) will cost you ~500 Euros, I paid ~159 Euros. Do the math...

But there are a couple of thing to be careful about:

- No support from MS, because your the "OEM guy" support is supposed to come from you. So if you are completely computer/windows illiterate then stay away!

- When buying you must decide if want the 32 or 64bit version, unlike the retail where you get both on the medium. I went with 32bit, higher compatibility for me.

- Legality: In all/most parts of Europe it is completely legal to acquire this, but I'm unsure about the US and the rest of the world.

Just realized something about the video card I want to get, it's DVI only, no VGA ports and my monitor is VGA. I do not want to get a new monitor, as a one of this size would be prohibitively expensive, and because I like my monitor. So, are there adapters out there that take a DVI and convert it to VGA?

Just realized something about the video card I want to get, it's DVI only, no VGA ports and my monitor is VGA. I do not want to get a new monitor, as a one of this size would be prohibitively expensive, and because I like my monitor. So, are there adapters out there that take a DVI and convert it to VGA?

The video card should come with the adapters.

there should be something available.

heres some on newegg, I dont see any reason why you cant get an adapter at a local retailer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....ion=dvi+adapter

Edited by Macross73

Ok, this is what I am thinking of getting for my computer, assuming that the wife okays the price tag, so any advice on where to cut costs would be appreciated:

I Buy Power Customized SLI-Gamer Rig:

Raidmax O2 Gaming Tower Case w/400W Power Supply (Black)

NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply

[socket-AM2] AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink

MSI K9N4 SLI-F NVIDIA nForce 500-SLI MCP Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB VRAM

2x 250 GB HARD DRIVE [serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

16x DVD-ROM Drive Black

18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black More Options

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

[special !!!] Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter

So, comments or advice for the totally insane autocad modeller?

for someone who works with autocad i'm surprised you didn't go with a PC that is soley graphics based instead of getting a surround sound system two LAN cards and two PSU's. If you can find the same (or similar) case w/o a PSU that'll save you some money since you're buying an aftermarket one anyway. Also premium sound is great if you plan on using the PC for media, but if your concern is simply graphic modelling, then i would suggest going with a more demanding graphics setup (dual or quad SLI NVidia's). If you went with ATI's crossfire setup with 1900XTX's you'd get way better graphics performance (nvidia fanboys can argue but it's been proven) than anything nVidia can offer overclocked or not. Or you can just hold out a little longer since both nVidia and ATI are releasing new cards in a month or so.

If you plan to use wireless then having two NIC cards is pointless. Go with either wired or wireless, and if you're going wireless try to go with one of the newer 108Mbps 802.11g cards.

Otherwise, if you're happy with what you chose then that's what really matters, people can offer their opinions but you're the one who is going to be using it on a daily basis.

Well the 500watt is an upgrade from the 400, so its not two PSUs, and how is it aftermarket if it's a new build? The soundcard is on the Motherboard, not seperate, and I do plan to do some media work on it as well, maybe play games. What two NIC cards, the lan is onboard the MoBo as well. As for the wireless card it is included in the package, otherwise I would dump it, prefer my hardwired connection.

Nice thing about the LCD trend is that $2000 monitors only a few years old can be had for $200 or less. Just got meself a HP-p1130 and it's blows my LCD out of the water. Granted the LCD was a freebee with my DSL subscription (and not a total P.O.S.), but I like CRTs more... Even if they weigh 60-90 Lbs...

PROTIP: Never try to carry a 62lb monitor distances longer than 10 feet. Your arms will be protesting quite violently the next day.

Nice thing about the LCD trend is that $2000 monitors only a few years old can be had for $200 or less. Just got meself a HP-p1130 and it's blows my LCD out of the water. Granted the LCD was a freebee with my DSL subscription (and not a total P.O.S.), but I like CRTs more... Even if they weigh 60-90 Lbs...

PROTIP: Never try to carry a 62lb monitor distances longer than 10 feet. Your arms will be protesting quite violently the next day.

You should've seen the manhandling when I brought Screenzilla home.

Old 32" Mitsubishi CRT. Over a hundred pounds. Took 2 people and a dolly.

Max res of 800*600, but it takes composite and s-video feeds as well as RGB*, so it's got a bunch of game consoles hooked into it.

*But DOESN'T have a standard VGA connector, so I had to make a semi-custom cable to hook my PC to the thing. Mainly because I was too cheap to pay what people were asking for a VGA->BNC cable.

Next step: Build or buy a component->RGB converter, so I can get my XBox onto something that supports progressive scan(the XBox HAS RGB outputs on the system, but they're intentionally crippled to 480i only... bastards).

That or get un-lazy and build an RGB cable for my Genesis. Composite sucks, and RGB is easier to get from a Genny than s-video is.

Too bad soldering irons hate me. Every time I warm one up I get burned somehow.

I too have brought home a 32inch TV... And later found out it weighed 225 lbs (according to the manual). Needless to say when it needed some fine tuning, and the repairman wanted me to bring it in, I said "No FREAKING way".

But Yah, the last little bit of lugging the montior home, I had to chicken out, put it down, run to my house, get my dolly, and wheel it the rest of the way over. I just couldn't carry it anymore. By that point, I had been carrying it for about 500 meters... It wasn't just the weight, it was the bulk to boot. A 21 inch monitor isn't exactly a tiny thing... Not a long distance, but man my arms were very very tired, twitchy, and sore. They still are...

for someone who works with autocad i'm surprised you didn't go with a PC that is soley graphics based instead of getting a surround sound system two LAN cards and two PSU's. If you can find the same (or similar) case w/o a PSU that'll save you some money since you're buying an aftermarket one anyway. Also premium sound ...snip - too long...

Agreed. You might want to do more for graphics.

2x 250 GB HARD DRIVE...

It might be cheaper to get a single 500GB drive.

Expect new Conroe prices and CPUS in Q3 guys, it makes it too damn affordable.

Clickie

That is AWESOME.

Looks like I'm getting a new chipset.

In other news, Comp USA is closing a bunch of it's stores, 25% off of everything. So, they're in line with Newegg now but no shipping. Lol

Edited by Chewie

Agreed. You might want to do more for graphics.

It might be cheaper to get a single 500GB drive.

What's wrong with the graphics card I chose? And it was actually more for a 500GB then the two 250GB, strange I know. I'm not buying for probably another month or so, so will continue to tweak it, will more then likely ditch the the wireless, but what about everything else? I figured that the upgrade PSU was a good idea considering the processing power, ram, and video requirements.

What's wrong with the graphics card I chose? And it was actually more for a 500GB then the two 250GB, strange I know. I'm not buying for probably another month or so, so will continue to tweak it, will more then likely ditch the the wireless, but what about everything else? I figured that the upgrade PSU was a good idea considering the processing power, ram, and video requirements.

There's nothing "wrong" with the graphics card you chose, i just figured since this computer is built for graphics specifically you would want a setup that is more graphics intensive. If anything, the card you chose is a top of the line performer, but the card is 400 dollars and for a little extra money you could get a dual SLI or crossfire setup to perform faster (and utilize your dual PCI-E slots). If that doesn't float your boat, pickup the best of the best in that series and get the 8800GTX (which is only a 100 or so more but with vastly more performance). Like I said, it's your machine, so pick what makes you happy.

I find it strange that two 250GB were cheaper than a 500GB but it's not impossible. If you're going to get two 250GB you can run a combination of RAIDS 1 & 0 (which provides 250GB of secure data) but if you picked up an extra 250GB you could run a RAID 5 (which provides 500GB of secure data) and get all of the benefits of data security but also the added benefit of performance. You should look into this option if you're particular about ensuring the safety of your data and don't mind shelling a bit extra for the harddrive.

The only reason i mentioned two PSU's is because you get one with the case and you're purchasing another (upgraded) one. That will give you a left over 400W at the end of the build; if possible you can try to find the same case but sans the PSU to try and save money.

I guess I am also a bit confused; is this a computer that you're ordering through a company? Or is this a computer that you are ordering the parts for and building for yourself at home?

Edit: Elaborated on the RAID configurations

Edited by emajnthis

I plan to buy the computer from "ibuypower.com" they are suppossed to be a really good company and all the reviews I have seen have been positive.

The singel 500GB is $7 more then the dual $250, so that is a toss up and really penny pinching now that I look at it, but I have always prefered to have a seperate data drive from my operating drive.

The PSU thing confused me too, but that is there least expensive case and the 500W PSU is recommended, I can call them and find out what the deal is there.

So how would a dual SLI setup work, what card would be best for that? Also I am trying to keep the price, before tax and shipping (grrr) below $1500 just so you know.

I plan to buy the computer from "ibuypower.com" they are suppossed to be a really good company and all the reviews I have seen have been positive.

The singel 500GB is $7 more then the dual $250, so that is a toss up and really penny pinching now that I look at it, but I have always prefered to have a seperate data drive from my operating drive.

The PSU thing confused me too, but that is there least expensive case and the 500W PSU is recommended, I can call them and find out what the deal is there.

So how would a dual SLI setup work, what card would be best for that? Also I am trying to keep the price, before tax and shipping (grrr) below $1500 just so you know.

I had no idea it was from a company, in that case, you have a really good setup, i would just go with that. If you wanted to penny pinch you could opt out of a video card and go from the GeForce 8800GTS 640MB and purchase a BFG 8800GTS 320MB OC which has the same performance at half the cost (it's roughly 300 bucks). But then i don't think that would be covered under any kind of "warranty" offered by the company so it's probably better to go for the regular 8800GTS.

If it ever comes down to nickels and dimes to the point where you really need to save money you could always just build a machine yourself. The hardest part of building a machine is purchasing the parts, and if you already have a comprehensive parts list, putting the rig together takes about 15 minutes.

I could put the 8800GTS (320MB) instead of the 640MB, but how will that not effect the performance. I was also considering hte 7950GT 520MB but that is up in the air right now

Cutting the memory on the video card would affect how much you can load on the video card. The GPU is still the same. If your renderings are large and completely detailed running all the time (like a full and detailed background, with each object in that scene individually rendered with a ridiculous amount of detail, i.e the works, 24/7), then a video card with larger memory would be better. But if you are not going for that level of detail all the time, then the card with less memory would be better.

But the BFG card is overclocked so it could handle some of the aspects of the higher memory capacity card without the price tag. BFG cards also carry a lifetime warranty on their cards.

http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html

Hi, my tv went kaput, and I got $760 store credit at CC to buy a new one, I plan on buying a better tv, but dont want to go over $1200 on it.

So far, I have found and like this one the best (from what I saw at the store)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_LN_S3251D/...7-31787622.html

It's $1050 + Tax at the store.

is there any other models around that price range you guys recommend?

My brother got the smaller version of that TV recently (LNS2651D) and really likes it. And he has a very good eye for any issue a TV could have.

And you can find the 32in version for only $1050? BestBuy is clearancing it and still wants $1300.