The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

I would probably go with something similar to this:sub-total: $520.97 US

I've left out the hard drive as they have a tendency to go on sale regularly. As for the power supply, probably any brand name 500W PSU of your choosing will do.

good build, also don't forget heatsink, some AS5 (or MX1, or Liquid Pro (LP only if its copper)), and this build will definitely last a solid 2-4 years with proper up keep. And if you decide to get a high quality Heatsink and Fan now, in the future when you feel it's starting to get a bit sluggish, you can overclock the processor a bit.

PS2 Network Help

Okay. I have a new slim model PS2.

I've tried all my tech support mojo to get the little bugger online but it's just not working. It won't DHCP. It's won't talk to the router with a static address. The router's firewall is off and the static address is assigned to the DMZ anyway.

The router doesn't even show a connected light but my cable tester shows the line is good.

Update. Using a different cable run I can get to the test connection screen. Now it says connected but shortly after "Connection to DNAS Times Out. Try again later." What's up with that?

BTW I don't know what's wrong with the original cable. My tester says all the wire pairs are good....

Edited by DestroidDefender

I would probably go with something similar to this:sub-total: $520.97 US

I've left out the hard drive as they have a tendency to go on sale regularly. As for the power supply, probably any brand name 500W PSU of your choosing will do.

wow! looks great, much more affordable than I expected, I'll let you know when I get all this system done how well it goes, thanks a lot, certainly made my life a bit easier now, hehehe...

just a question, any references on neweggs.com shipping?? is it well packaged ?

wow! looks great, much more affordable than I expected, I'll let you know when I get all this system done how well it goes, thanks a lot, certainly made my life a bit easier now, hehehe...

just a question, any references on neweggs.com shipping?? is it well packaged ?

OEM stuff is usually wrapped in bubble-wrap. Retail goods are usually left alone to their own packaging. Then the whole thing is covered in the packaging popcorn. You can also check out other stores for a cheaper price. Just to name a few...

Tiger Direct

ClubIT

Zip Zoom Fly

Chief Value (Newegg with coupons)

If I build a desktop, would I be better off getting two 8600GTS in SLI or one 8800GTS? I can't go all out and get top of the line, but I want to get good performance.

The 8800GTS will get you farther along. An 8600 GTS in SLI would bring you close to a 8800GTS but if your budget doesn't allow you to get an 8800, then an 8600 in SLI would be ok.

has anyone been keeping up with the newly announced ipods? apparently there's now an ipod touch(8gb/16gb), ipod classic (80gb/160gb), and a new nano with video support (4gb/8gb) the ipod touch is around 300-400 while the classic remains the same price (250-350) and the nanos will be 150-200... also, supposedly, they upped the size on the shuffle but haven't read anything on that yet...i'm kinda disappointed with the ipod classic, they should've made it wide screen...meh, can't always get what you want i guess...i think their main cash cow will be the ipod touch...especially since most iphone users it as everything but a phone...:p

My work laptop is stuck with ATI radeon IGP 340M, I coulnd't found any new driver for it. So I downloaded the omega driver, however now it disabled the direct3D with the reason the driver is not digitally signed. Can anyone help me with this?

This is my work laptop information:

Laptop type : Fujitsu FMV-BIBLO NB70E

Processor : Mobile Intel® Pentium2.20 ® 4-M CPU 2.2 GHz

Memory : 256 MB RAM (I know, I should upgrade it to 1GB or more XD)

HD: 60 GB

Display : RADEON IGP 34xM

Video memory : 32 MB

Its 4 years old, do you think I need to buy a new one? I'm a hardcore gamer after all :ph34r:

Frys is still doing the E6750 (2.6Ghz dual core with 1333 FSB) and and an EliteGroup G33T-M2 mobo for $213. (normally the CPU is $209 alone). I got one and half the build half done (right now just have SuSE installed and am running on onboard video and 4GB of 1066DDR2. Most likely getting an 8800 GTS with 640MB of VRAM) and will then install Vista Ultimate.

They're wrong.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070522141119/...ple.com/itunes/

http://web.archive.org/web/20070523004310/...om/ipodshuffle/

http://news.com.com/iPod+gets+touchy%2C+wi...l?tag=nefd.lede

Amazon is also selling all the previous color Shuffles which were also 1GB. The only thing the Shuffle got was a recoloring.

I know there was a "big" announcement today regarding the new models. Does Asus build the Shuffle now, or did they get a contract for the next-next version?

Edited by meh_cd

Does Asus build the Shuffle now, or did they get a contract for the next-next version?

Asus has been working with Apple for a while now. Since about the time that Apple switched to Intel processors. Much iPod manufacturing occurs in China/Taiwan so I'm not sure who's building what for Apple these days.

Frys is still doing the E6750 (2.6Ghz dual core with 1333 FSB) and and an EliteGroup G33T-M2 mobo for $213. (normally the CPU is $209 alone).

Good deal. Pity that it has a 3100 graphics chip on it. It would be better if it had a X3000.

Does anyone know of some good free or otherwise recovery programs? My dad is not that birght when it comes to technology and formatted the camera containing all the pictures of my graduation night. Any help would be appreciated.

I've downloaded and failed with so far:

eDataUnerase Personal

Data Recovery

Does anyone know of some good free or otherwise recovery programs? My dad is not that birght when it comes to technology and formatted the camera containing all the pictures of my graduation night. Any help would be appreciated.

I've downloaded and failed with so far:

eDataUnerase Personal

Data Recovery

Have you gone through these?

http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php

I need some help...! 1080p HDTV or 25th Anniversary Yamato Valks? One or the other; can't have both. :(

Edit: Also, what 32" HDTVs would you guys recommend? I can't go any higher than 32;" and I was thinking of getting a Sharp Aquos LC32GP1U 32" 1080p LCD HDTV because it's 1080p. I can find one for about $1199, but I'm told that I should wait a year or so before I get one for it'll eventually go down in price. Question is, how much in price will it drop in a year? Is it even worth waiting that long for who knows how many hundreds (if any)? I'd be using the TV to watch HD TV (NFL games, etc.), HD movies, and to play my 360 on of course.

I was thinking, however, that if I don't get an HDTV this year that I'd get the Valks instead...and I'd love to have either...though I'm really wanting a HDTV right now. I've never bought a model Valk before but the 25th Anniversary has definitely caught my eye.

Edited by Oihan

I'm currently leaning towars the Sony 32S3000, or the 32M3000---aka the 32ML130. The M3000/ML130 is supposed to be a cheaper version of the S3000---but so far no one's figured out how it's "cheaper" parts/features-wise. It simply costs less, and seems to be identical. A few hundred cheaper than the Sharp. Accepts 1080p, but won't display 1080. Not many 32's do.

Big thing to look for lately--tearing when hooked up to a 360. Has eliminated quite a few "possibles" on my list for a 32in LCD. Might want to move this over to the HD thread.

I'm currently leaning towars the Sony 32S3000, or the 32M3000---aka the 32ML130. The M3000/ML130 is supposed to be a cheaper version of the S3000---but so far no one's figured out how it's "cheaper" parts/features-wise. It simply costs less, and seems to be identical. A few hundred cheaper than the Sharp. Accepts 1080p, but won't display 1080. Not many 32's do.

Big thing to look for lately--tearing when hooked up to a 360. Has eliminated quite a few "possibles" on my list for a 32in LCD. Might want to move this over to the HD thread.

I must have missed that thread. My apologies! I'll be sure to post it over there. Thanks for your opinions!

Edit:Are you talking about the HD-DVD/Bluray thread by any chance?

Edited by Oihan

Edit: Also, what 32" HDTVs would you guys recommend? I can't go any higher than 32;" and I was thinking of getting a Sharp Aquos LC32GP1U 32" 1080p LCD HDTV because it's 1080p. I can find one for about $1199, but I'm told that I should wait a year or so before I get one for it'll eventually go down in price. Question is, how much in price will it drop in a year? Is it even worth waiting that long for who knows how many hundreds (if any)? I'd be using the TV to watch HD TV (NFL games, etc.), HD movies, and to play my 360 on of course.

I was thinking, however, that if I don't get an HDTV this year that I'd get the Valks instead...and I'd love to have either...though I'm really wanting a HDTV right now. I've never bought a model Valk before but the 25th Anniversary has definitely caught my eye.

TVs are going to continually go down in price. Get it now or later, 3 months later, the price will go down. Right now, the rush isn't on to get new TVs as we still have till Feb. 2009 to switch to HDTVs. But if you really can't wait....

Hey guys, so some of the LED bulbs on the front of my PC case have died, others are starting to wink out. Would it be just a simple matter of cutting off the old bulbs and then soldering on replacement ones? Thanks in advance! Here's what it used to look like:

post-1069-1190875567_thumb.jpg

Edited by myk

Hey guys, so some of the LED bulbs on the front of my PC case have died, others are starting to wink out. Would it be just a simple matter of cutting off the old bulbs and then soldering on replacement ones? Thanks in advance! Here's what it used to look like:

Check for any wire disconnections in the case, it happens to me a few times since the cables act lose.

If not, then I guess you could replace the leds, double check though.

Hey guys, I need some help trying to integrate my computer into my home entertainment center. Here's my deal, I bought an HP Mediacenter computer (M7760N) and I currently have it hooked up in my office... not really serving my media needs. I'm moving into a new place with a lay out more conducive to including the computer and I'm really liking the idea of playing some video games on the 46". I think what I need to do is buy a new video card (the one I have sucks anyway) that has two HD video outs. I'm not a super avid gamer... I only buy about one game a year, so I'm looking for something only in the $100-$200 range. I saw Azrael a page or so back recommended the following Video card to someone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130084, would that same video card solve my problem?

Hey guys, I need some help trying to integrate my computer into my home entertainment center. Here's my deal, I bought an HP Mediacenter computer (M7760N) and I currently have it hooked up in my office... not really serving my media needs. I'm moving into a new place with a lay out more conducive to including the computer and I'm really liking the idea of playing some video games on the 46". I think what I need to do is buy a new video card (the one I have sucks anyway) that has two HD video outs. I'm not a super avid gamer... I only buy about one game a year, so I'm looking for something only in the $100-$200 range. I saw Azrael a page or so back recommended the following Video card to someone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130084, would that same video card solve my problem?

I'm not sure if the Mediacenter your talking about uses PCI Express, check on that to be sure your not wasting money on something you cant even use.

If your looking to just play those regular everyday games like Half-Life 2, or your everyday MMO it should be more then good enough.