The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

I've just threaded the screw on my Tablet PC RAM lid, the Ram is located under the keyboard, and I swear, the screw is like just over 6 mm long. How do I get the bugger out?

I've just threaded the screw on my Tablet PC RAM lid, the Ram is located under the keyboard, and I swear, the screw is like just over 6 mm long. How do I get the bugger out?

Try really hard? Try using a flat-head to try and get it out.

Found a site like 2 days ago, but can't remember the name at all (so my web history won't help) and can't get the right results from google.

It's a site that'll evaluate your PC's ability to play specific games. The site has a big pull-down menu listing of many popular games. Anyone know that site?

Alrighty, so I'm feelin' kinda proud of myself for doing something as routine as plumbing my entertainment stuff into my computer. It's actually really cool, my computer's remote controls the cable box and I now have a free DVR... w00t. Well, that's what I was thinking until I ran the DVI to HDMI cable back from my computer (I got that 8600GTS card that was recommended) into TV. I was able to get the card to recognize the TV as an output but man... things are not going very well from there. At first I couldn't get an image at all so I downloaded the latest driver which gave me some options to try to tweak the display. I dropped the refresh rate on the output to 30MHZ and told it to display at 1080i and while I can see the computer screen on the TV it is constantly blinking yellow around the inside imagery and blue around the frame. The blue looks to be coming in where the Monitor's image (just cloning) isn't quite filling the TV. Holy crap, this is annoying, I'm teetering on the edge of success and failure simultaneously. Any one here have there TV hooked up to their computer? Any similar experiences? Any suggestions? Do these symptoms have an obvious cause? I'm using a 25' DVI to HDMI cable, could that be a problem (I really don't want to go through the hassle of testing a 6' version of the cable... and neither my TV nor receiver have a DVI in.

EDIT - EW, had to drop resolution way down to 1024 x 768 to get it to work. My bad.

EDIT 2.0 - Okay, so I have now set the resolution on my monitor to nifty highness and my HDTV to 1024 but now my HDTV just shows my desktop background. I take it I need to buy some software that will let me use two monitors as one long desktop?

EDIT 3.0 - Turns out that I just had to give everything a moment to catch up with me. It all works. I'd edit this all out but I'll leave it as a lasting tribute to my lack of intelligence to all things computers. Sorry for anyone who has read this.

Edited by jenius

if all else fails, you can be very careful (i have experience with this from working on cars and using a drill, but i'd imagine the computer screw wouldn't be any different), grab a Dremel with a 1/16 bit and drill through the screw. You can measure the drill bit up to one of the other screws and then mark the drill bit to proper depth so you know you're not drilling too deep. After you drill the screw out you should be able to pry out the lid off without a problem and then remove the excess. Other thing you can do is get a sharp object (chisel or knife), and try to rescribe the head by laying the blade at an angel and chiseling your way (tap the handle of the chisel with a hammer) to rescribe the head; if its a phillips try to scribe one crossing of it and get at it with a flat head.

Alrighty, so I'm feelin' kinda proud of myself for doing something as routine as plumbing my entertainment stuff into my computer. It's actually really cool, my computer's remote controls the cable box and I now have a free DVR... w00t. Well, that's what I was thinking until I ran the DVI to HDMI cable back from my computer (I got that 8600GTS card that was recommended) into TV. I was able to get the card to recognize the TV as an output but man... things are not going very well from there. At first I couldn't get an image at all so I downloaded the latest driver which gave me some options to try to tweak the display. I dropped the refresh rate on the output to 30MHZ and told it to display at 1080i and while I can see the computer screen on the TV it is constantly blinking yellow around the inside imagery and blue around the frame. The blue looks to be coming in where the Monitor's image (just cloning) isn't quite filling the TV. Holy crap, this is annoying, I'm teetering on the edge of success and failure simultaneously. Any one here have there TV hooked up to their computer? Any similar experiences? Any suggestions? Do these symptoms have an obvious cause? I'm using a 25' DVI to HDMI cable, could that be a problem (I really don't want to go through the hassle of testing a 6' version of the cable... and neither my TV nor receiver have a DVI in.

EDIT - EW, had to drop resolution way down to 1024 x 768 to get it to work. My bad.

EDIT 2.0 - Okay, so I have now set the resolution on my monitor to nifty highness and my HDTV to 1024 but now my HDTV just shows my desktop background. I take it I need to buy some software that will let me use two monitors as one long desktop?

EDIT 3.0 - Turns out that I just had to give everything a moment to catch up with me. It all works. I'd edit this all out but I'll leave it as a lasting tribute to my lack of intelligence to all things computers. Sorry for anyone who has read this.

LOL don't be so hard on yourself, best way to learn is trial and error. I can't tell you how many times i had to reinstall XP learning all of the .exe that are and aren't necessary, including running unmanned installs and all sorts of other Windows goodies; i think MS license activation had me on a first name basis for awhile.

Alrighty, so I'm feelin' kinda proud of myself for doing something as routine as plumbing my entertainment stuff into my computer. It's actually really cool, my computer's remote controls the cable box and I now have a free DVR... w00t. Well, that's what I was thinking until I ran the DVI to HDMI cable back from my com... <too long to quote>

I have seen this. And it's very likely that it's the TV's fault (or at least most of the blame goes to the TV). If the manual has a input signal chart, you might want to look at that to see what is the max resolution the TV will accept for an external source.

Can you run it?

That's the site there, it examines your pc to see if you meet requirements to play a game.

Found a site like 2 days ago, but can't remember the name at all (so my web history won't help) and can't get the right results from google.

It's a site that'll evaluate your PC's ability to play specific games. The site has a big pull-down menu listing of many popular games. Anyone know that site?

So get this, my TV's native res is 1080P so there's no reason I should have to display at 1024. I'm told I need to download Powerstrip and tweak all my settings because NVidia's software doesn't allow for the custom settings that will be necessary. Problem is, Powerstrip is described as being unfriendly to novices. Any Powerstrip pros here? I get the feeling I'm about to have to go join a new forum group... Any one have suggestions for which forum group would be the most help for PC to TV chat?

• 3 weeks later...

So, changing the subject a bit... anyone besides me upgrading to Leopard? I never bothered with Vista (for my Windows computer), since it seems like a lot to pay for a broken version of XP, but I'm actually pretty excited about Leopard.

If you're wondering, which I'm sure you're not, on the Linux front I did install YDL on my PS3, but never really got into it. I had Kubuntu 6.06 (the KDE version of Ubuntu) on an old computer, but I got rid of it. If I can convince my wife to buy a Mac Mini to replace her aging XP computer, I might take her aging XP computer and save it for a Linux distro when KDE 4 comes out.

Who collects vintage computers here? I've got a 386mhz laptop I'm trying to dump.

I only keep a computer until it stops running decent Linux distros. But my buddy has a garage full of really old computer hardware. I don't know the specs, because he organizes them by OS, not processor, but I do know he's got an OS/2 unit.

I need a little advice from the Apple users here since ALL of my damn friends are staunch PC people. I plan to ditch my Toshiba laptop and step into Apple country. I've never owned an Apple before, although I used Macs regularly throughout highschool (long ago, 1989-1994). My question is this:

Should I get a MacBook for $1099 or a MacBook Plus for nearly double that price? It'll primarily be used for internet and writing documents, but I also would like to be able to run Photoshop and ProTools.

Obviously the MB Plus would be able to handle those more taxing programs, but would the standard MacBook be able to run them just fine? It's a big price difference and I want to make sure it's worth it.

So, changing the subject a bit... anyone besides me upgrading to Leopard? I never bothered with Vista (for my Windows computer), since it seems like a lot to pay for a broken version of XP, but I'm actually pretty excited about Leopard.

I will soon, mostly because I get a nice, near half-off discount for the OS.

I need a little advice from the Apple users here since ALL of my damn friends are staunch PC people. I plan to ditch my Toshiba laptop and step into Apple country. I've never owned an Apple before, although I used Macs regularly throughout highschool (long ago, 1989-1994). My question is this:

Should I get a MacBook for $1099 or a MacBook Plus for nearly double that price? It'll primarily be used for internet and writing documents, but I also would like to be able to run Photoshop and ProTools. <snip>

Macs have changed a bit since you used them, but you should be able to get around. If anything, dual-boot Windows on it and you'll be fine.

As for which one...The MB is perfect for 'net, regular office work (word processing, spreadsheets, etc), a DVD or two, some quick Photoshop, and other everyday day tasks. The plus here is the screen-size. At 13", it's just big enough to fit and carry without too much trouble. The MBP is more for the Pro who needs screen size (15" or 17") on-the-go, gamers, and people who need the horse-power to drive some apps (like Photoshop for hours at a time). Here's a good thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354287

If you have a desktop that can do the heavy stuff, you'll probably want to stick with the MB. You can bump up the ram on the MB and it should handle Photoshop just fine. The down side of using Photoshop on a MB is the 13" screen.

I will soon, mostly because I get a nice, near half-off discount for the OS.

Macs have changed a bit since you used them, but you should be able to get around. If anything, dual-boot Windows on it and you'll be fine.

As for which one...The MB is perfect for 'net, regular office work (word processing, spreadsheets, etc), a DVD or two, some quick Photoshop, and other everyday day tasks. The plus here is the screen-size. At 13", it's just big enough to fit and carry without too much trouble. The MBP is more for the Pro who needs screen size (15" or 17") on-the-go, gamers, and people who need the horse-power to drive some apps (like Photoshop for hours at a time). Here's a good thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354287

If you have a desktop that can do the heavy stuff, you'll probably want to stick with the MB. You can bump up the ram on the MB and it should handle Photoshop just fine. The down side of using Photoshop on a MB is the 13" screen.

Thanks for the info. The screen size does concern me a little. When I was looking at them at an Apple Store they just seem so small. Granted I'm not going to be doing any professional work that requires a big canvas, but I'm used to a much larger screen so it's more of a comfort thing and I know I could get used to a 13". I was also told the glossy screen on the Mac Book isn't favorable for Photoshop work, but again I'd just be doing non-professional stuff so i don't think it would be an issue. I don't have a desktop computer so the MB I get will be my main machine. Maybe for that reason I should get the MB Pro.

::EDIT::

After checking out that link I'm pretty much sold on the MacBook. I'm far from a power user and I do ZERO gaming. If it can handle CS3 and Garageband with no problems, it's good enough for me.

Edited by eriku

Just my two cents...

When I traded my PB 12" to a 15". I just didn't feel any appreciative difference. But I also felt 15" is MUCH bulkier than 12".

13" MB's platic chasis makes it lighter to carry too.

Metal chasis seems to me less resilient to damages especially around the monitor.

Although MB does have improved monitor hinges, you might want to note that I've had monitor problems with both 15" and 17" PBs.

If you have budget to buy MB pro, I'd buy a 13" MB and a desktop PC.

Thanks for the info. The screen size does concern me a little. When I was looking at them at an Apple Store they just seem so small. Granted I'm not going to be doing any professional work that requires a big canvas, but I'm used to a much larger screen so it's more of a comfort thing and I know I could get used to a 13". I was also told the glossy screen on the Mac Book isn't favorable for Photoshop work, but again I'd just be doing non-professional stuff so i don't think it would be an issue. I don't have a desktop computer so the MB I get will be my main machine. Maybe for that reason I should get the MB Pro.

::EDIT::

After checking out that link I'm pretty much sold on the MacBook. I'm far from a power user and I do ZERO gaming. If it can handle CS3 and Garageband with no problems, it's good enough for me.

The glossy screen is fine for indoors. Outdoors is not a good place for glossy. Considering you don't have a desktop, I would really suggest the MBP. The 13" MB is more of a supplement computer to a desktop. The MBPs are what I would consider a desktop replacement unless your usage really doesn't warrant a MBP. But yes, the MB will handle CS3 and GarageBand just fine. Although, I would bump up the RAM to 2GB. But this can be done on your own.

I only keep a computer until it stops running decent Linux distros. But my buddy has a garage full of really old computer hardware. I don't know the specs, because he organizes them by OS, not processor, but I do know he's got an OS/2 unit.

Well...if your buddy needs a 386 laptop...I've got one:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/sh...read.php?t=8601

I've had a MacBook since June of last year, and I love it. I bought it with the default configuration, figuring that I'd upgrade it myself later (and that's when the default was 60GB HD and 512MB RAM). I just upgraded the HD to 250GB, and I'll pick up RAM soon (yeah, I'm still running it with 512). I installed Leopard without a hitch (not a huge leap, but worth the price of admission), ran the Boot Camp tool, and installed Vista Enterprise, which is slow but still runs with Aero. In fact, the MacBook has run everything I've thrown at it. The one and only time I wish I'd gone with a Pro was when Neverwinter Nights 2 came out and I wanted to play it at work (back then it was XP in Boot Camp beta on Tiger), but the Intel GMA chipset couldn't handle it. But my desktop has a GeForce 6200, and it can't really handle it either, so... yeah, if you're not playing games, the regular MacBook should be fine. And if you need extra work area, I'm sure the Spaces feature in Leopard should help.

I've had a MacBook since June of last year, and I love it. I bought it with the default configuration, figuring that I'd upgrade it myself later (and that's when the default was 60GB HD and 512MB RAM). I just upgraded the HD to 250GB, and I'll pick up RAM soon (yeah, I'm still running it with 512).

Great thing about MacBook is that you can upgrade RAM and HD easily.

MacBook Pro still needs quite a surgery to replace a HD. I've done it a few times and man, that sucked.

I've always thought laptops should never be used for gaming even though it's not entirely true.

Need for gaming just seems to kill longevity of laptops. System requirements for gaming change often, but basic stuff I do on my laptop hasn't.

Nice---but I'm probably 12-18 months away from a new PC. (I just upgraded this one to last till then). Probably something even better----or I'll snag 2 of those really cheap. My goal for my next PC is to play Mass Effect, if/when it comes out for PC.

Nice---but I'm probably 12-18 months away from a new PC. (I just upgraded this one to last till then). Probably something even better----or I'll snag 2 of those really cheap. My goal for my next PC is to play Mass Effect, if/when it comes out for PC.

Already got a 360 for that. ;)

Yeah, but I like Bioware's stuff so much, that I bought KOTOR and Jade Empire for the PC, even after having played them earlier on the Xbox. (Just wait a little while until they're cheap---I got KOTOR for 10 bucks and JE for 8--well worth it for the extras added in, and the mods possible)

Question for you tech-types. Every now and then my computer will refuse to load up any sort of imbedded video file (YouTube, GameTrailers, etc.) and might not even load the page itself. I'll leave it for a few hours and suddenly everything is back to normal. This is most frustraiting and I could use some help. I'm using the stock IE 7 that comes with Vista, though I've disable the phising filter in the vain hopes that this would solve the problem.

Question for you tech-types. Every now and then my computer will refuse to load up any sort of imbedded video file (YouTube, GameTrailers, etc.) and might not even load the page itself. I'll leave it for a few hours and suddenly everything is back to normal. This is most frustraiting and I could use some help. I'm using the stock IE 7 that comes with Vista, though I've disable the phising filter in the vain hopes that this would solve the problem.

Firefox is your solution. :)

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Check and make sure that you the latest version of Macromedia Flashplayer installed and that Java is up to date.

I had that problem recently and that fixed it for me.

you can also use Ctrl and the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out.

That only makes the text sieze bigger. Since I'm using my 46" big screen as my computer monitor, it's really a pain to have to watch those tiny, tiny video windows that most websites use. The zoom function in IE 7 scales everything up in size.

Check and make sure that you the latest version of Macromedia Flashplayer installed and that Java is up to date.

I had that problem recently and that fixed it for me.

Just tried that and it doesn't work. Imbedded video files still only partly load (if at all). But since it seems to only happen around this time of night and not at others, maybe I should give my service provider a call.