Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

My collection of Yamato figures is still very small (YF-19, Konig Monster, Garland), but I really want the SV-51, it looks absolutely fabulous.

Hi Dr. Z, and welcome to Macrossworld. I highly recommend the SV-51, either version. Yamato did an incredible job on it. My Ivanov version is the centerpiece of my Yamato collection (12, for now B)) ). It looks great in all three modes, and it's the first transforming enemy mech fom Macross, which makes it unique. If you decide to get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-M'Kyuun

If anyone wants a diecast model Jolly Rogers F-14, do NOT buy the Franklin Mint one. Paint scheme is way wrong, plus a lot of other small issues. Save a chunk of money, and get a MUCH better (though slightly smaller) model. Get one of these:

http://www.aimhigherjets.com/Century_Wings..._p/ahj-4185.htm

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CW-587199

http://www.aimhigherjets.com/Century_Wings..._p/ahj-4180.htm

Note: AJ203 has the wings permanently extended forward, to allow the flaps and slats to be deployed---it's posed ready for a catapult launch, and has the nose lowered.

AJ210 has the flaps and slats up, but can swing the wings back and forth. Both have moving stabilators and gear up/down options.

They're not the problem, Yamato's the problem. 1/72 is the defacto scale for all planes, and now a common scale for tanks. Especially in Japan. Yamato chose 1/60 I believe as a compromise between 1/48 and 1/72. And nothing else is to that scale--expect MP Starscream, which I believe its scale was intentionally done to copy Yamato.

Going down to 1/72 scale may result in increased fragility, if the same level of articulation/feature/detail/gimmicks etc were to be kept.

Yamato chose 1/60 as the best compromise between size/durabilty/cost/features.

Graham

Now a more fragile Yamato is something i DON'T want to imagine. :p

1/60 is perfect anyways, a 1/48 SV-51, whilst being totally cool, would be way more plastic for me to want to hold

or to display. lol

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hi Dr. Z, and welcome to Macrossworld. I highly recommend the SV-51, either version. Yamato did an incredible job on it. My Ivanov version is the centerpiece of my Yamato collection (12, for now B)) ). It looks great in all three modes, and it's the first transforming enemy mech fom Macross, which makes it unique. If you decide to get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-M'Kyuun

Thanks for the welcoming. I'm officially getting the SV-51, I was able to raise some Yamato money today! Pretty excited! :)

as far as the Dobber 51 goes...how does this work? Would Yamato pay him royalties for using his design, or would they change it just enough to where its not really his exact design anymore so they dont have to call it sv-51 dobber type?

Well, the anniversary valks are a direct rip-off of the Hasewaga anniversary valks with minor changes. If Yamato has not paid to use them (don’t know if they have or have not), I' guess they'll find a way to not pay a dime to a random fan.

They can just do a random urban camo design using the colours Dobber used and say it’s theirs (it would be a nice gesture if they at least included a sticker with the name "Dobber" or something).

Yeah, I really don't expect any royalties or anything, especially since it's just a variation of the Flanker splinter camo/ Tomcat NSWAC(not sure if I got that right) schemes. Now I would love to at least have my name on the sticker sheet as a pilots name though....if I couldn't have one for free that is......:)......ya I know...keep dreaming. :D

I would love to know if Graham had asked them about this possible release though and what they said. All this being said, I am very honored that they MAY at least make one...whether I get any credit or not. It'll be more Macross goodness for all to enjoy, and that's what is really important. :)

Chris

Got my second Ivanov.

Haven't transformed it yet- but am pleased to say that the wing tips hold perfectly, unlike my previous ivanov.

am now trying to sell the previous one, but no one is crazy enough to buy it so...

Guess I've got two Ivanovs :)

Cooool

VFTF1

Mailman just dropped my SV-51 half an hour ago. Wow! The jet mode is elegant, I love it. Wings and fins are scary thin, but they survived the first transformation. I like the system with the little sliding rods in the wings, pretty clever. Transformation is challenging but less scary than for the YF-19. Didn't really pay attention to the gerwalk mode and went straight to robot mode. That thing is huge! With the wings fully loaded, on the little display stand, it looks fantastic. Hard to say if I like it better than my YF-19; I think they're equally good, but I prefer the darker and more stealth-looking SV-51 deco. Bring on the YF-21 now!

I am pretty sure those too are completely different. Dobber's scheme looks a hell of alot cooler than the small pic SV-51.

It's just too "speckly" and not smooth enough.

sorry, didnt look close enough. I just figured they were the same.

the only way i will buy a 51 is if it has a dobber paint app...thats how much i like it.