Iron Man the Movie

Ladic

Yeah, I found that kind of incredulous, as well.

"Hey, we can't make a miniature arc reactor like Tony Stark, but we can make an armored suit that is better... EVEN THOUGH WE'VE NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO STUDY THE MKII OR MKIII, only the MKI MADE FROM SCRAPS IN AFGHANISTAN!!!"

:lol:

nah, that makes a lot of sense to me. The iron monger looked almost like a mech. Given its size, it's pretty obvious Obi wasn't in 100% control over the movement of the suit. So the suit must have had some sort of 'fly by wire' control scheme to it where Obi gives a general direction to the suit and the suit's AI figures out the rest, where as in Tony's suits, Tony is doing most of the fine manipulation of movement. So yeah, it's going to take Tony a lot longer to get proficient. It's like learning to drive stick versus an auto transmission.

Yeah, I found that kind of incredulous, as well.

"Hey, we can't make a miniature arc reactor like Tony Stark, but we can make an armored suit that is better... EVEN THOUGH WE'VE NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO STUDY THE MKII OR MKIII, only the MKI MADE FROM SCRAPS IN AFGHANISTAN!!!"

:lol:

I didn't really get the impression that Stane's suit was really all that more advanced. Just bigger. If anything, it seemed really crude in comparison. The thing was, Stark was using his first attempt Arc Reactor Mini, so he couldn't really go all out against a suit that was much bigger and loaded out with more weapons.

I got a very strong impression that if Stark didn't have that significant handicap, the odds would have been tilted overwhelmingly in his favour.

What we really need is a large premium format 12" figure of the Mk I with Stark underneath... something on the scale of Takara's JinRoh figure... guy with the jumpsuit and all layers of clothing and then the armor accurately attatching... gimme!

I've never followed the comic but maybe some of you did.

WHO are Iron Man's major villians?

The Hulk, not necesarily a villian but he is sent to stop him a lot, hence his cameo in the new Hulk film. The Mandarin is the biggest villian. He uses magic rings and it a good counter balance to Starks technology. And he too is smart. Not as smart as Stark the only one smarter than him is Reed Richards, Mister Fantastic of the FF4

Yeah, the Mandarin is Stark's real arch-enemy... that's the one big thing about IronMan that is not timeless... he was always the guy to beat on Commies... Crynson Dynamo and Titanium Man were Soviet IM copies, and the Black Widow... Iron Monger was built by Stane from the old IM plans bc/ Stane was a business rival in the books... IM also spends alot of time fighting the organized groups like AIM (Advanced Idea Mechanics, they made MODOK and lots of variation sof Dreanoughts), Hydra, and the Maggia... plus big baddies like Fin Fang Foom and Ultimo,a nd the occasional other magical villains (Stark HATES magic!)... couple that with the corporate espionage characters like the Sypmaster(s) and the Ghost, who usually worked for someone like Justin Hammer... he's also got the usual costumed rouges' gallery guys like Whiplash (GREAT little nod in the movie), Blizzard, Unicorn, Living Laser(!), Controller, Madame Masque, and the Blood Brothers.

PS I know waaay too much about IronMan... I've been working for a few years now on collecting all the comics (the original series, Heroes Reborn stuff, the modern stuff, and all the limited stuff)...

So, if Mandarin uses rings does that mean that the leader of the Ten Rings Army is Mandarin?

ding ding ding, we have a winner! :lol: That's what I got out of it as well. But I hope that movie version of mandarin is not going to be a fu manchu sporting, robe wearing 'oriental' caricature with a funny accent and long finger nails.

Why bother having the Jericho Missile do a burst break-up if it can't do an Itano Circus?

Yeah, and why the hell would anyone expect the guys making the movie to know what the Itano Circus is?

Loved the movie. Downey is perfect as Tony Stark. In general the plot was predictable, but not entirely. The comedy wasn't forced or cheesy, thank goodness, unlike most comic based films. Some of the CGI was obvious, but nowhere near as bad as it looks in the upcoming Hulk movie.

I put this up there with Batman Begins and Spiderman I.

Awesome how they left it open for a sequel. Pepper had some great comebacks in this movie.

Saw it today and loved it. I put it up there with Batman Begins and Spidey 1 as my favorite comic-book movies (with an edge as I'm a big Shellhead fan). Downey Jr did a great job as Tony Stark and the way Stark was portrayed in the movie was spot on. The rest of the cast did their jobs and I still hate Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts but she did fine and the sexual tension between the two was a great inclusion from the comics.

Next movie will be kickass as IM will be more proficient in use of his suit and fully powered, War Machine will be in it (I hope), possibility of multiple suits (have a soft spot for the Hulkbuster Armor), and Mandarin as the villain FTW (at least keep the Fu Manchu)

Tidbit at the end of the credits was great.

nah, that makes a lot of sense to me. The iron monger looked almost like a mech. Given its size, it's pretty obvious Obi wasn't in 100% control over the movement of the suit. So the suit must have had some sort of 'fly by wire' control scheme to it where Obi gives a general direction to the suit and the suit's AI figures out the rest, where as in Tony's suits, Tony is doing most of the fine manipulation of movement. So yeah, it's going to take Tony a lot longer to get proficient. It's like learning to drive stick versus an auto transmission.

Ill have to double check when i see the flick again, but i thought he was saying the Iron Monger Suit was better than Tonys original suit. he hadnt even SEEN the Mk3, so he would have no way of knowing how advanced it was at all!

Ill have to double check when i see the flick again, but i thought he was saying the Iron Monger Suit was better than Tonys original suit. he hadnt even SEEN the Mk3, so he would have no way of knowing how advanced it was at all!

Stane said he gave the Iron Monger his own enhancements. It was never stated that Stane knew how to do so, but since he was high up in the company, maybe he knew a thing or too about tinkering with electronics.

The rings are not magical in nature, they are alien tech of Makulan origin.

Behold! The ten rings of the Mandarin!

Correct. And yes, I greatly hope that the Ten Rings means he's there somewhere... I was almost thinking it'd turn out to be the leader guy who gets scarred, as they kept showing him with that one big ring... there might be something in that nod.

Correct. And yes, I greatly hope that the Ten Rings means he's there somewhere... I was almost thinking it'd turn out to be the leader guy who gets scarred, as they kept showing him with that one big ring... there might be something in that nod.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Obi paralyzed him and then left. He's the only one still alive.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Obi paralyzed him and then left. He's the only one still alive.

yeah, and remember what obi said to him before he left, "your troubles are only beginning." or something to that effect. I think he wasn't referring to the obvious slaughtering of his men but having to account for his actions to the mandarin.

I certainly hope so. Hopefully they won't pull a Spiderman and wait until the third movie to give us the really important villain... I'd love for the second movie to be the rise of the Mandarin and War Machine, and some conflict therin, and the third film to be some corporate espionage stuff like the Spymaster and The Ghost, maybe working for Justin Hammer, and maybe also have the Mandarin in the background for a final fight in that as well... I like the Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man, but we've already gotten one armored foe in the Monger, so I'd love to see the next step be something more than two tin cans wailing on each other.

I certainly hope so. Hopefully they won't pull a Spiderman and wait until the third movie to give us the really important villain... I'd love for the second movie to be the rise of the Mandarin and War Machine, and some conflict therin, and the third film to be some corporate espionage stuff like the Spymaster and The Ghost, maybe working for Justin Hammer, and maybe also have the Mandarin in the background for a final fight in that as well... I like the Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man, but we've already gotten one armored foe in the Monger, so I'd love to see the next step be something more than two tin cans wailing on each other.

Terrance Howard (Jim Rhodes) has stated he would rather wait for a 3rd movie to don the War Machine armor. I won't mind that as well since he should try out the IM armor before stepping into WM (like the comic). We'll just have to wait and see what they want to do for 2nd movie though. There have been some nudging to weigh in on Stark's alcoholism in the next movie. This would give Rhodey the best chance to try on the IM armor.

Good call... I hadn't heard that he wanted to wait until 3 to do WM, but that makes sense and works fine... so they could do the alcoholism and corporate espionage guys second movie, with Mandy in the background, and Rhodes taking over as IM for some of the movie, and then 3 can be IM and WM against the Mandarin!

Saw it yesterday. Loved it. It's definitely in the top tier super hero movies. I think the casting is what really made the movie. With anyone else it just wouldn't have played as well. Downey gets the big props, of course, but Howard, Bridges, and surprisingly even Paltrow deserve big kudos.

My main worry was that they wouldn't address how the suit is powered, but incredibly they not only addressed it, but they gave it sufficient movie logic to drive the entire story! I could have used a longer and less kinetic armor fight, but it went with the story. Yeah, Stane was a little too efficient with the suit. I'm guessing there was a scene or two from the design phase that was cut out because it seemed like it went instantly from Stane recovering Mark 1 to a fully realized and upgraded, but unpowered, suit. I'm really looking forward to the blu ray, and hope they take full advantage of the format to give us theatrical and extended versions.

Are they really talking sequels already? If they make it clear to the audience that the Mandarin's rings are alien technology, I could really see him working as a villian even if he says they're magic. Personally I always liked Crimson Dynamo, and I'd also like to see The Beetle make an appearance too. Keep it techy! And of course, Rhodes needs to eventually don War Machine armor.

The plot falls apart a bit in the second half of the movie, predictable stuff, some things are forced... but who the hell cares! This thing was really fun, funny and, well, awesome!

Robert Downey Jr. perfectly nailed Tony Stark. Good to have an IM geek for an actor. I'll watch the new Hulk movie just for his cameo.

Now this is a good Marvel comicbook movie.

The little surprise after the credits was perfect.

(Ultimate) Avengers assemble!

Edited by Twoducks

Second movie could be Mandarin, with Rhody wearing the Mk III armor, while Stark has moved on to a Mk IV. Third movie could introduce the War Machine armor to help out in an Armor Wars style story line.

Am i the only one who wouldnt like to see Mandarin? I was never even a fan in the comics, let alone a movie version of him...

Stick to hi tech baddies or at least massively strong ones...

Edited by Scream Man

I think 2nd movie will have tony getting depressed and become more of an alchy and it looked like Pepper and that shield agent had a little chemistry by the end of the movie. I'd rather have more of Mandarin's operations slowly revealed in the 2nd movie.

I think Mandarin is too big of a threat to be wasted on the 2nd movie... I'm assuming there's going to be a third movie.

I think 2nd movie will have tony getting depressed and become more of an alchy and it looked like Pepper and that shield agent had a little chemistry by the end of the movie. I'd rather have more of Mandarin's operations slowly revealed in the 2nd movie.

I think Mandarin is too big of a threat to be wasted on the 2nd movie... I'm assuming there's going to be a third movie.

There's a great interview 2 years ago at rottentomatoes.com when favreau didn't even know who the actor for Iron man would be. He talks about how he chose not to tackle the alcoholism because he felt there was already too much going on and he felt that the pressure of being Iron Man is where he gets pushed over the edge with his drinking problem. It's great that he's so keen on storytelling. I can't wait for the next movies. I think that was all in one interview.