New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

As many of my Rowboatech-lovin' friends can attest to, I'm a big-time HG/RT hater. However, despite my Macross Purist derived instinct to puke (or urinate) on anything RT, I decided to give Shadow Chronicles a fair shake.

The early trailers looked promising. I especially liked the battle scene where two fleets were exchanging fire (massed tracer/beam barrages in space are just plain cool). And the idea of huge knockers on alien chicks is also cool ( something that would make James T. Kirk grin :p ).

However, the latest Funmation/HG trailer has left me somewhat disappointed. Plus, the fact that the overall plot was ( it seems) heavily borrowed from End of the Circle and the first part of the movie is a rehash of the Mospeada ending, has made me skeptical. I suppose that it was too much to ask from HG to cook up an original storyline. That would have made me change my opinion of them a little, despite the continued use of Mospeada mecha designs (i.e other people's hard work, as opposed to their own).

And I agree that the CG is a bit dated. If it were on the same level as M0 or Yukikaze, I would give it a thumbs up (but only one since it's Robotech we're talking about here ;) )

So, I doubt that I'll rush right out on release day and buy it, even for the extraterrestial D-cups. :D

But when the price comes down, I might pick up a copy for the hell of it. One more animated flick in the collection never hurts.

Edited by SpacyAce2012

For some reason this latest trailer seems to have worse visuals than what I remember from the previous ones. The shot with Invid scouts leaving the carrier literally looks like an animatic, both in terms of motion and detail.

I'll still give it a shot, but it does seem rather subpar in several areas...

Edited by Prime

The CG from this new trailer looks pretty much like the pre-production CG video they were showing as at Comic Con, and Anime Expo from 2-3 years ago.

Well, what they showed at Sac-anime was quite ancient then. I at least remember the 2D being unfinihed. Maybe I just percieved CG impovement in the Ani-magic bit.

If you're talking about Janice, she's a robot. They might have actually been trying to make her sound unnatural.

Nope, I said short pink hair. So was some fighter pilot. I don't remember her name. Janice does sound a bit like a word fit victem in the trailer.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Nope, I said short pink hair. So was some fighter pilot. I don't remember her name. Janice does sound a bit like a word fit victem in the trailer.

Maia Sterling, youngest daughter of Max & Miriya Sterling & the new commander of Skull Squadron.

As for the voices not matching with the voices correctly, it was animated in Korea so the timing might be a little off. Eventhough, it gives the illusion that it's a real anime.

A TON of modern cel work is done in Korea (Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc. etc.) and they all seem to get the mouths to line up with the english voices just fine. Sounds more like cheap and or sloppy animation to me rather than some issue with using a Korean studio.

considering how low budget the cg is, I would think people would look at budget more then what ethnicity was drawing the animation.

considering how low budget the cg is, I would think people would look at budget more then what ethnicity was drawing the animation.

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!! It's not a racial issue. I meant since it was animated in Korea the mouths were prolly paced for a Korean version of the script. Then in the U.S. they overlapped with the American/Canadian counterparts.

Not that impressed by the trailer. I mean I didn't expect much to begin with. My biggest problem is that CGI in general. It doesn't look right to just straight up weird. Not so much as bad I would say but it's really lacking. The actual animation looked decent from what I saw but it won't be winning any awards. The meshing of the two is just bad I think, if they had gone for one or the other I think things might have been better at least visually. One shouldn't go for both unless you can afford it. You don't need to have both for something to look good, no need to jump on the current fad. Things just look to dark and the objects were to bright. Where are all the stars is what I'd like to know?

What's the price being pushed for the film again?

Edited by Effect

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!! It's not a racial issue. I meant since it was animated in Korea the mouths were prolly paced for a Korean version of the script. Then in the U.S. they overlapped with the American/Canadian counterparts.

ah, sorry, my bad. took it the wrong way then.

Yes, just like how when the Simpsons is animated in Korea, they animate it for a Korean script. :rolleyes:

Hey dude, I already explained what I meant & if you can't understand it well that's too bad. Now if you want the Mods to close this thread down for something that doesn't mean anything then be my guest. <_<

Terry didn't mean anything negative by his remark, he was just making assumptions none of which were really racially or geographically motivated. I think other people are reading into his comments too much... let's let it drop.

For all we know they did animate to an english script and nailed it perfectly... only to have HG do a rewrite mid-production and do a bunch of ADR that threw off all the dialogue (it happens more than you think). Also, especially in trailers, the dialogue is pushed around to get the best shots and quotes so sometimes they may use a clip of a character saying "I like beans with ketchup" and overdub it with "we're all going to DIE!" because it's more dramatic for the trailer. Or they may take a line in the movie of a character saying "we are all motherfrakking going to motherfrakking DIE you motherfrakkers!" and remove all the language so they can show it in the trailer to all audiences (the GTA game commercials are notorious for this now).

And in the end when you think about it, cheap 2D animation lip synch is just a series of wah-wah-wahs usually only using two or three mouth positions anyway. The character may be saying "we are all going to DIE!" but their mouth is saying "wah-wah-mah-mah-wah-wah-maaaaaaaaaaaah!"

"Over 25 years after the original robotech launched a generation of anime fans"

Okay Robotech's came out fall of 84 and completed it's first run in 85. 25 years of robotech would be 2009-10. If Robotech is over 25 years old it would made in 1981. Pre-dating even Macross. Hmm is 2009 the expected date to release the Shadow Chronicles of Riddick?

CHeck it out even the Regiss has huges hooters! :huh::huh:

"The results [blending of CG and cel] is stunning and at its best moments, it's reminiscent of 2004's superb Appleseed."

Either the chose the shittiest CG possible for the trailer, or these guys are just as blind as the RT.commers. Hell they might be RT.commers themselves... And the comparision with BSG is ridiculous.

vinnie

"The results [blending of CG and cel] is stunning and at its best moments, it's reminiscent of 2004's superb Appleseed."

Either the chose the shittiest CG possible for the trailer, or these guys are just as blind as the RT.commers. Hell they might be RT.commers themselves... And the comparision with BSG is ridiculous.

vinnie

yeah, I kept wondering where out of his enormous ass he pulled the BSG comparison from.

Wasn't Zor high from smoking protocuture when he tapped that slug's thorax.

Yes....That's the beauty of Protoculture. It can even make a slug's rear end look good enough for anybody to hit it. If it can increase breast sizes overnight, make slugs look hotter than some of the girls in Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit edition, imagine what it can do for the guy...

vinnie

They thought the 2004 Appleseed was "superb", with those words they instantly lost any and all credibility. That movie insulted me on a professional level.