My Vf-0s (low-vis) With Ghost Booster

Dobber

Hi evryone, I finished this a few weeks ago but kept forgetting to take pictures. This is the VF-0S painted up like Shin's VF-0A with the Weapons and Ghost Booster. Sorry for the poor quality pictures, I only have a lousy 2 mega pixel camera so you unfortunately can't see alot of the subtle weathering that I did on her. I added ejection handles and the exhaust vanes to the kit, I hope you all like.

Chris

post-265-1134062980_thumb.jpg

post-265-1134063065_thumb.jpg

post-265-1134063136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

Excellent work on the paint scheme!!!

What colors did you use?

350706[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliments. I used Testors Modelmaster Acrylic "Standard US Navy Grey" for the upper surfaces, and Testors Modelmaster Acrylic "Light Grey" for the lower surfaces, both straight from the bottle.

Now I'm working on a hasegawa F-14A ;) . She's almost finished too.

Chris

Dobber--could you post the FS numbers for the paints? Testor's Acrylic lines are all over the place, I have about 4 different ones names "light grey". And then there's the fantasy acrylic line... Though I'd presume you're referring to 36495. No idea for Navy grey, unless it's one of the Marine paints.

Dobber--could you post the FS numbers for the paints?  Testor's Acrylic lines are all over the place, I have about 4 different ones names "light grey".  And then there's the fantasy acrylic line...  Though I'd presume you're referring to 36495.  No idea for Navy grey, unless it's one of the Marine paints.

350934[/snapback]

Lets see, the bottle says 4765 Light Gray ModelMaster Acryl

and

4233 #5 Standard Navy Grey 1/2 ModelMaster Acryl. This color I just found about a year ago and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! It really is the perfect US Navy blue grey. And yes the bottles actually have the different spellings of Grey/Gray on them! ;) .

Graham, I also prefer and build my models with gear up whenever possible. That's one problem with Hasegawa Tomcats.....pilots won't fit in them!

Chris

Thanks.

4765's FS number is 36495, as I thought.

4233 is a wartime color in the Marine line, also what I thought (since there is no current Navy grey). It's an inter-war color, just prior to WW2. The only place by me that carried the Marine colors stopped carrying them. I bought out all the USS Iowa camo colors when they started clearancing them out.

There's apparently just not enough wartime ship builders to justify the Marine line, nowadays most shops don't carry it, just the standard MM acrylic line. You won't find better camoflage colors than that line, WW2 was the absolute height of "experimenting with different shades of grey and blue for visual concealment or deception"

If you want some really bluish greys, check out the Norwegian versions of the Kriegsmarine greys in that line, especially Hellblaugrau(Norway) it's nearly baby blue, but still a battleship grey. (The Tirpitz, specifically) Dunkelblaugrau is a dark green-gray for forest camo for ships. Yes, there was a great need for forest camo for ships.

Also, the later US greys tend to be more of a purple-grey than blue-grey. Modern Light and Dark Ghost grey were derived from the later WW2 ship colors, with Dark Ghost Grey being notably purple, as it came from the final 1943 purple-tint versions. (They literally ran out of blue pigment, so everything from 1943 on was painted with grey paint tinted with purple pigment instead of blue, requiring camo modifications)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Wow, thanks David.

Currently I'm working on Hasegawa's 1/72 F-14A "Atlantic Fleet Squadrons". Applying the Decals at this time, went with the 1988 VF-84 CAG aircraft, it really is a unique Jolly Roger livery (Light grey overall, with High vis stripes, but the Stabs are still light Grey with Black Skulls on it.

Chris

Excellent work ! You've got skills man ;)

Damn thats nice. I have to get one of these before Hasegawa stops production, thats a beautiful kit. Great work- what airbrush do you use?

351302[/snapback]

I actually don't use an airbrush. I use to brush paint only( If you all remember my SV-51 with the splinter camo, she was completely brush painted!) but now I use those Testors spray cans that you can attach paint bottles to for the majority of the painting ;) Slowly making my way up to airbrushes :p

Chris

Wow that's amazing that's brushwork, please share you technique and what kinds of brushes you use. If I could get my brushwork to look like that it would save me some masking when I want to paint small parts etc...

Damn thats nice. I have to get one of these before Hasegawa stops production, thats a beautiful kit. Great work- what airbrush do you use?

351302[/snapback]

I actually don't use an airbrush. I use to brush paint only( If you all remember my SV-51 with the splinter camo, she was completely brush painted!) but now I use those Testors spray cans that you can attach paint bottles to for the majority of the painting ;) Slowly making my way up to airbrushes :p

Chris

351429[/snapback]

If I get that right this VF-0S was mainly can-painted? That´s amazing considering how hard it is to get a real even, thin finish with cans. I have tried a long time to only get my primer even, I´d be really scared to mess things up with a whole multi-tone scheme like you achieved here! Looks so great man!

Guess you won´t have the slightest problems if you decide to use an airbrush!

That's correct. On this model I used one of the testors Aerosol cans that comes with a removable cap that you can attach Modelmaster bottles to so you can spray directly out of the paint bottle instead of useing Spray paint cans. Just takes some thinning. It also comes with an empty clear jar so you can use any other paint...like Tamiya. I guess it's the same principle as an airbrush but with less control. My main problem with airbrushes is figuring out the air/paint ratios, where these "cans" that I use just spays it on. Now my SV-51 was completely brush painted.

On the VF-0S with Booster,I weathered it using a Dark Grey pastel chalk wash, then bry brushed on more pastel chalk along most of the panel lines, and then I used pastels and pencils to do various streeking and such.

Edited by Dobber

Wow Dobber, fanastic work!

Keep posting... I love seeing this work - I can't wait for the F-14. I need my model fix (since I can't build right now, Christmas & got a short 4wk production)

I can't believe you hand brush - I can't hand brush to save my life!! I didn't know the Ghost was removeable - how does it attach on? I must get one of these kits now!

Great work on the scheme, it looks great - keep up the fanastic work! :D

Actually, I don't think it supposed to be removable....I just liked how the 0 was looking that I didn't want to hide her under the ghost perminantly! What it does is it has slots between the engine and the wings and they slideinto the vertical stabs and then it just rests on top of the 0. The thing is, is that this requires different vertical stabs that are actually canted out further than normal....which I think looks better..... than normal....but when the ghost isn't on my kit is "Technially" inaccurate because the vertical stabs are still canted out farther. Like I said, personally I think it looks better though, since the VF dosn't have horizontal stabs. What I did with the upper missile pods was to just drill out little holes that the pegs fit into and the pods just fit in well enough with out glueing!

My Tomcat is just about done, just need to do the lights and a few other things, but she is essentially done! I'll post pictures later tonight.

Chris

Here are a few shots of my Tomcat. It's night time so the pictures are so so. still need to finish a few things on her too. Here is a taste anyway. Since this is a CAG bird she's really subtly (spelling) weathered, If you look hard enough you can see!

Chris

post-265-1134608036_thumb.jpg

post-265-1134608103_thumb.jpg

post-265-1134608169_thumb.jpg

post-265-1134608224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber