Jump to content

1/55's revisited


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Salamander said:

Hmmm...maybe going by today's standards. Back in the 1980s things were a bit more lenient in various European countries, and it also depended on the product category whom to license things from (model kits, for example, were a bit of a gray area).

For the Benelux, I know of the following:

  • Orguss and Macross kits made by Arii and Imai were sold in shops, in Japanese boxes, with crudely translated instructions in Dutch/French/English and also the original Japanese instructions included. These have a BigWest licensing sticker.
  • Bandai also sold Japanese kits with Dutch/French/English instructions. The ones I own are two Xabungle (of all things) kits.
  • Various toy retailers had parallel import of actual Japanese toys, with an import sticker slapped on. They also had parallel import of US and Canadian toys. Doing that was not illegal (AFAIK, it still isn't).

 

 

large.1521366883_MacrossGermancatalog4.j

large.1980298218_MacrossGermancatalog5.j

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Salamander said:

Hmmm...maybe going by today's standards. Back in the 1980s things were a bit more lenient in various European countries, and it also depended on the product category whom to license things from (model kits, for example, were a bit of a gray area).

Not really. Most, if not all, European countries had signed on to the Berne Convention by the 1970's, which requires signatories to acknowledge international copyrights.

5 hours ago, Salamander said:

For the Benelux, I know of the following:

  • Orguss and Macross kits made by Arii and Imai were sold in shops, in Japanese boxes, with crudely translated instructions in Dutch/French/English and also the original Japanese instructions included. These have a BigWest licensing sticker.
  • Bandai also sold Japanese kits with Dutch/French/English instructions. The ones I own are two Xabungle (of all things) kits.
  • Various toy retailers had parallel import of actual Japanese toys, with an import sticker slapped on. They also had parallel import of US and Canadian toys. Doing that was not illegal (AFAIK, it still isn't).

Wait, what are model kits doing in a 1/55 thread? :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Not really. Most, if not all, European countries had signed on to the Berne Convention by the 1970's, which requires signatories to acknowledge international copyrights.

For some products, especially toys, that only started to be properly enforced in the early to mid-1990s.

For example (non-Macross example :P ), Bandai sold the European version of the Machine Robo DX toy Porsche 930 Turbo in their Robo Machine line under the name..."Porsche 930 Turbo", for at least several years (including in a box that mimicked the official Porsche advertisement style) with all logos intact until the toy was finally released in the Challenge of the Gobots style packaging renamed "Baron von Joy" (still all logos intact). Then in 1993 Bandai could not get away with using "Porsche 930 Turbo" anymore, and when doing their Robo Machine Generation 2 release simply called it "Sports Car II" with the copyright altered to remove the "Porsche 930", generic stickers removing all references to Porsche, and colored like a red Datsun 280Z T-Bar roof to avoid any further suspicion that it, in fact, was a Porsche 930 Turbo (despite looking like one :D ). The reason might have been these treaties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Duration_Directive and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIPS_Agreement

Copyright in Europe in the 1980s was a mess.

Also, many European countries have exemptions in international copyright law, where local law trumps the international laws. An example is the right to own a personal copy of a recording, which money- and power-hungry US-DMCA-style predators would love to have struck down, but that fortunately keeps failing in court.

Edited by Salamander
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

After searching for one for 20-25+ years, I FINALLY got myself a VT-1 Superostrich (I used to think this was "Super Ostrich" but it is actually all one word! "Superostrich" pretty cool)  and man oh man it was worth the wait.  I still like this as much as I ever did.  The local comic book store used to have one on display from time to time as well as Max and Mirya, and some Diaclone and Transformers toys.  I got my diaclone ultra magnus reissue many years ago, though I still need to find a brand new in box one (mine was brand new but I unboxed it, should have left it alone).  Anyway as far as this 1/55 goes, I just used some distilled water to clean off some kind of grease that was on some of the plastic as well as cleaned off the yellowed parts.  It doesn't actually look as yellowed as it did in the photos.  Maybe it is the lighting in here.  At least it was one side was a bit yellowed and the other side is bone white.  Same with one of the booster packs.

All in all, I still love the 1/55 line.  It is still my favorite.  My second favorite now is the Chogokin and then the Hi-Metal R.  Sorry about the Yamatos guys, those just don't hold the great appeal to me but I like Yamato as well in its own way.  I have a set of 1/60 V1 Yamato also.

Now it looks like I should buy GBP-1 armor.  I just don't know if GBP-1 armor fits on the 2000 reissue valkyries or not.  And I should save up for a VE-1 Elintseeker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rocketblast said:

Now it looks like I should buy GBP-1 armor.  I just don't know if GBP-1 armor fits on the 2000 reissue valkyries or not.

It in fact does! I can at least confirm that the original armor fits the 2001/2002 reissues. I haven't tried it on my 2008 Origin yet. Here's a shot of it in my collection.

IMG_3222.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2005 at 11:27 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

_______________________________

List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries

_______________________________

Takatoku VF - 1982

01. 1A CF TV

02. 1J Hikaru TV

03. 1J Max TV

04. 1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

4 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

01. 1A Hikaru DYRL

1 = TOTAL

(Manufacturers Unknown) VF - Production Dates Unknown

01. 1S White (Battroid Valkyrie)

02. 1J White (Battroid Valkyrie)

03. 1S Grey (Battroid Valkyrie)

04. 1J Grey (Roboticjet)

05. 1J Grey w/ Red and Yellow Chest Stripes (Roboticjet)

5 = TOTAL

 

 

Do not see this one on the List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries.....

 

large.2046752502_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.1116051578_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

 

large.930605885_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.416415323_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.1138177320_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

 

large.1107142620_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

 

large.502881579_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.744437186_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.279001892_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.805759956_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Do not see this one on the List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries.....

 

large.2046752502_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.1116051578_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

 

large.930605885_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.416415323_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.1138177320_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

 

large.1107142620_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

 

large.502881579_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.744437186_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.279001892_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

 

large.805759956_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

I’ll have to add this to the list.  Have found a slew of other 1/55’s as well and need to make some time to add them as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.a1186551fe8ffb052955244cbdf13170.jpeg
Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

It in fact does! I can at least confirm that the original armor fits the 2001/2002 reissues. I haven't tried it on my 2008 Origin yet. Here's a shot of it in my collection.

IMG_3222.jpg

cool thanks I'll have to get some at some point, once I start saving moneys again :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...