Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

Ugh, watching the extra materials right now: The head translator just pronounced it as "MAH-cross" for most of the interview, and then clearly screws it up himself and goes back to the "classic" way of pronouncing it.

I think someone else mentioned that there is some lack of consistency, but I was tickled that the guy who headed the translation himself sorta stumbled there and went back to the colloquial pronunciation that us plebians use.

:)

H

P.S. Actually, I didn't notice it at first. My fiance who was listening from the other room first said: "Why the heck did you buy this if you knew they were going to say it that way." Then, a few seconds later, she yelled: "Hey! He just said it the old way!" I hadn't even noticed.

Holy crap! They've really punched up the base in the 5.1 surround. I just watched the scene where Hikaru is "caught" while in the lingerie shop, and my subwoofer is drowning out the voices! :lol:

This is great news. This is my first visit to this board in a LONG time. After running into financial difficulties and selling off my Animeigo set I never thought I'd get a chance at the series again. Definitely picking this up this weekend. Was listening to the soundtrack recently and forgot how much I love this series and how much I miss it.

Holy crap!  They've really punched up the base in the 5.1 surround.  I just watched the scene where Hikaru is "caught" while in the lingerie shop, and my subwoofer is drowning out the voices!  :lol:

363857[/snapback]

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

"This is a 5.1 master! Why isn't the subwoofer active?"

"Umm, you do realize that the show didn't have a lot to begin with, and it wasn't exactly designed for home theater usage? It's a MONO source for pete's sake!"

"WE NEED MORE BASS! BASS IS GOOD! MAKE IT JUMP!"

*sighs* "Okay boss."

Darn & here I was hoping they would get Hillary Duff to play Minmay. (Ducks into Bunker to avoid the rightious justice) :lol:

I didn't know about the ADV dub or that Animego disks can break! :o:o:blink::blink:

I mussssst be extra carefull with my preciousssss.

Hmmm. I sounds like the Dub disks some with a Subbtitle option. I might have to pick some up incase the unthinkable happens to my preciouses.

Darn & here I was hoping they would get Hillary Duff to play Minmay.  (Ducks into Bunker to avoid the rightious justice) :lol:

[Nukes the bunker] :p .

Let's go to MahcDuhnahlds and get Hahppy Meals for the kids and a Big Mahc for myself..  :p Just kidding.

365441[/snapback]

That made no sense untill I heard it. Those guys are just idiots.

What floors me is, why didn't they get actual macross fans to work on this project? Many of us (including myself) have worked on entertainment projects before. It would have been SO easy to find people with the proper experience that were actually fans of Macross.

Well a lot of these companies use people in house or ones they have used before. They are loyal. That says something good about them. On the other hand screw loyalty when someone else better can do the job. If you want to support your friends give them a job getting coffee.

What floors me is, why didn't they get actual macross fans to work on this project?  Many of us (including myself) have worked on entertainment projects before.  It would have been SO easy to find people with the proper experience that were actually fans of Macross.

366901[/snapback]

I've always wondered why Japanese producers of modern anime, toys, or whatever can't get someone fluent in both English and Japanese to provide aid in composing some of their works? For example, Bandai's Space Battleship Yamato Mechanic File toy states the following on the box: "The Earth is attacked...There is not fate of the Earth besides Great Navigation to Iscandar of the light year distance...to save the human..." and so on, and so on...

I could poke my eyes out with a spoon reading this stuff...

I just watched my ADV MOSPEADA DVDs again this past week. The translation and subtitles in the set are about on par with your average HK bootleg job. I realized that it shouldn't really shock me that the Macross dub is truly that bad.

Are all of ADV's products this bad?

What floors me is, why didn't they get actual macross fans to work on this project?  Many of us (including myself) have worked on entertainment projects before.  It would have been SO easy to find people with the proper experience that were actually fans of Macross.

366901[/snapback]

That would require you and Keith in the same room........

I just watched my ADV MOSPEADA DVDs again this past week. The translation and subtitles in the set are about on par with your average HK bootleg job. I realized that it shouldn't really shock me that the Macross dub is truly that bad.

Are all of ADV's products this bad?

367306[/snapback]

From my understanding, yes they are. I don't even know if the translations on my old dubbed VHS copies of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" are even close to being correct.

Darn & here I was hoping they would get Hillary Duff to play Minmay.  (Ducks into Bunker to avoid the rightious justice) :lol:

I didn't know about the ADV dub or that Animego disks can break! :o  :o  :blink:  :blink:

I mussssst be extra carefull with my preciousssss.

Hmmm. I sounds like the Dub disks some with a Subbtitle option.  I might have to pick some up incase the unthinkable happens to my preciouses.

364584[/snapback]

Fires a bazooka at bunker and impales the remains i=with a hot poker. :p

is this an exact translation? I'm starting to question it.

Focker: "So how did your first time being shot down?"

Hikaru: "Is sucked of course."

I don't remember the subs like this.

Focker: "Are you ok?"

Hikaru: "Yeah I'm fine."

Focker: "Not you pudknocker, I meant the girl!"

Just doesn't sound right.

Edited by jwinges

is this an exact translation?  I'm starting to question it.

Focker:  "So how did your first time being shot down?"

Hikaru: "Is sucked of course."

I don't remember the subs like this.

Focker:  "Are you ok?"

Hikaru: "Yeah I'm fine."

Focker:  "Not you pudknocker, I meant the girl!"

Just doesn't sound right.

368155[/snapback]

It's a bit more ... impolite than Animeigo's version.

Exact translations, however, are generally NOT a good idea. Some adaptation is required, or meaning gets lost.

Notable example is common sayings. "Lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas" won't make any sense to a foreigner. They'll wonder what the heck you're talking about dogs and fleas for when they're busy griping about their dopehead buddy getting them arrested. Same applies in the other direction.

Certain kinds of jokes, such as puns, are similarly bad.

I'm hoping that is a bad joke. Yes, the "tlead" is a little distracting but otherwise all of the dialogue is actually comprehensible in the Southern Cross and MOSPEADA boxsets that ADV released. Hong Kong dubs often have inconsistent naming conventions, absolutely incorrect verbage, words that were invented, and no attempt at all to keep puns present. I don't recall ever rewinding a scene to try to make sense out of it in the ADV sets but I have definitely done that with several HK subs.

In other news, is Macross supposed to be a Japanese word? I thought it was supposed to be a French word (maybe that's an RTism though). How would a French person pronounce the name "Macross." That would be the *proper* way to say it (if it is indeed a French word, not a Japanese one). Either way, it's just a name right? If a Japanese person were to say my name should I take that to be the only way my name should ever be pronounced?

Edited by jenius

...Where did you ever get the idea it was supposed to be a french word?

Macross = Macro Space Ship

Proper pronunciation is "Mah(like in mad or sad)-cro(like in bow, sew, or toe)-ss" or more literally, "ma-ku-ro-su"

Proper pronunciation is "Mah(like in mad or sad)-cro(like in bow, sew, or toe)-ss" or more literally, "ma-ku-ro-su"

369772[/snapback]

Good question? It's probably something picked up from an RT source when I was like 10. In Robotech wasn't the island already called Macross when the spaceship crashed on it? Eh, maybe I'm pullin' it all out of my arse...

Makes sense then that the'd first part would be pronounced "macro" like the actual word "macro" then. If we're applying that logic though then it should be pronounced "Mac-rows" That's a totally different tangent though.

369772[/snapback]

The mistaken idea that it is a French word comes from the Robotech novels. Macross Island in that story was a French-owned piece of real estate and a former nuclear weapons test area.

Hong Kong dubs often have inconsistent naming conventions, absolutely incorrect verbage, words that were invented, and no attempt at all to keep puns present. 

369736[/snapback]

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Its the worst "professional" subtitle job I've ever seen.

After 32 pages, and enough time to properly dissect the ADV Macross, it's time we had a comprehensive list of the Pros & Cons of owning this new set.

The Cons first (because this board thrives on negativity :D ):

-Incorrect pronounciation of names

-Use of outdated slang

-Vastly inferior Japanese audio (compared to Animeigo set)

-Fake 5.1 english audio (adding new sfx and calling it 5.1 is a no-no IMO)

-Same Video as Animeigo version (if you don't already have it, this would be a pro)

-Some voice actors & their performances are subpar

The Pros:

-A chance for Dub only people to experience Macross

-Mari Iijma reprising as role as Minmay

-Interviews with & episode commentary by Mari

-Better packaging than Animeigo set (depending on personal taste :p )

-Disc hubs are unlikely to crack

I'll try to update this list as more reviews become available. Also, we have yet to see how ADV has cast some characters who haven't appreared yet (Max, Kakizaki, Milia, Bodolza)

After 32 pages, and enough time to properly dissect the ADV Macross, it's time we had a comprehensive list of the Pros & Cons of owning this new set.

The Cons first (because this board thrives on negativity  :D  ):

-Incorrect pronounciation of names

-Use of outdated slang

-Vastly inferior Japanese audio (compared to Animeigo set)

-Fake 5.1 english audio (adding new sfx and calling it 5.1 is a no-no IMO)

-Same Video as Animeigo version (if you don't already have it, this would be a pro)

-Some voice actors & their performances are subpar

The Pros:

-A chance for Dub only people to experience Macross

-Mari Iijma reprising as role as Minmay

-Interviews with & episode commentary by Mari

-Better packaging than Animeigo set (depending on personal taste  :p  )

-Disc hubs are unlikely to crack

I'll try to update this list as more reviews become available.  Also, we have yet to see how ADV has cast some characters who haven't appreared yet (Max, Kakizaki, Milia, Bodolza)

369812[/snapback]

But the disk case nubs are cracked. And the voice actors are terrible. I was very dissapointed. I think they did that on purpose to make Robotech "look" better.

• 3 weeks later...

Can somebody please give me a scan of the ADV DVD boxes so I can add it to the main site.

I need a scan of the front and rear cover of each individual box. I also understand there is a big box for all the disks to go in, so a scan of that would be great as well.

Pics should be scanned at 200dpi and resized so they are 800 pixels wide please.

If anybody can help out, please PM me and I will give you an email address to send the pics to.

Thanks in advance.

Graham