Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

I was under the impression I could combine this release with my AnimEigo DVDs into one SUPER DVD SET. However, the way they broke the series up in the ADV release makes that rather difficult.

If I was the sort that believes in draconian conspiracies, I'd say the mispronounciations might be an intentional attempt to seperate the Macross dud (er...dub) from the work done on Robotech, as well as from AnimEigo's efforts.

I find Mari Iijima's presence intriguing in this voice cast. Like most everybody else on this thread, I would have perferred a more laconic Roy and Misa, at least. I also would have also dropped "sempai" from the dub, and from any other Macross dubs. I can understand why they took the echo out of the Zentradi voice, particularly if they're considering releasing more Macross titles. If I'm right, that booming echo will re-appear during the abduction and interrogation scenes. A Zentradi would sound normal speaking to himself and other Zentradi after all... I was hoping for a deeper voice for Britai. Claudia and Vanessa are perfect, Sammy (I don't like and will never advocate "shammy") needs to be toned down some. I was wondering if they would use the voice from Nadia's Captain Nemo for Captain Gloval (I'm not quite certain if they did or not). I was also hoping for more of an accent on Hikaru. He's supposed to be kind of a rube, I thought. I think Pierce Brosnan would make a good Max, or anyone with a decent English accent. How's that for "never gonna happen"?

If they were going to beef up the sound FX, they COULD have used the material from Macross Plus and Zero. The transformation effect would have been very nice, for instance. Oh, well.

Hopefully, they'll reign it in a bit for further releases, and maybe, you know, for a shocker, get around to releasing the rest of the non-dubbed Macross titles. Maybe Macross Zero or the Macross movie around Christmas 06?

Edited by zogozzo

Hopefully, they'll reign it in a bit for further releases, and maybe, you know, for a shocker, get around to releasing the rest of the non-dubbed Macross titles.  Maybe Macross Zero or the Macross movie around Christmas 06?

359819[/snapback]

People have been saying "Maybe next year" for DYRL since at least 1985. IMHO, it's not going to happen until somebody decides to finally take Shakespeare literally.

A current example would be Ziyi Zhang.  She switched her names around to properly reflect her first name, as most western interviewers were referring to her by her last name, not her first.

359302[/snapback]

However, that being said, I still maintain that the point is that for 20 years, on both sides of the Pond, and notwithstanding Asian naming conventions, Lynn Minmay's name has been...well..."Lynn Minmay." To say "Minmay Lynn," while obviously more correct, would sound wrong, even to we few, we happy few, we band of nitpickers here on MW. Sometimes the error in a name sticks better than reality. Take a look at General and President of the US, Ulysses S. Grant. His real name was not Ulysses Samson Grant, but Hyram Ulysses Grant. But a clerical error during his time at West Point created the name that everyone knows him by. The same thing here. Someone in the dim mists of history forgot to take Asian naming conventions into account when they romanized Minmay's name. Everyoen and their uncle calls her "Lynn Minmay."

359414[/snapback]

Ahhh. I get it.

Accuracy is all important unless someone tries to "move your cheese"...

The "accuracy" being, the correct romanized/anglicized name for Japanese characters.

Interesting.... :rolleyes:

The reason why "Everyoen and their uncle" calls her Lynn Minmay in North America is because of Harmony Gold's RT where they first heard her name.

That is where the majority of Mac fans started from. They learned of Macross through RT and then discovered the real show afterward.

I for one am not interested in perpetuating any part of HG's interpretation of the show in this dub.

I stand by my point. The majority aren't always right <place your own political comment here..>.

359417[/snapback]

Well to be totally "accurate", I guess you could say this is ADV's interpretation of the show in this dub.

If I was the sort that believes in draconian conspiracies, I'd say the mispronounciations might be an intentional attempt to seperate the Macross dud (er...dub) from the work done on Robotech, as well as from AnimEigo's efforts.

This is HG. Tehre's ALWAYS a draconian conspiracy going on. :p

I can understand why they took the echo out of the Zentradi voice, particularly if they're considering releasing more Macross titles.

Not gonna happen until HG gets less pig-headed.

If I'm right, that booming echo will re-appear during the abduction and interrogation scenes.

They aren't going to mix/match. The cool reverb is gone.

A Zentradi would sound normal speaking to himself and other Zentradi after all...

A zentradi would also be speaking zentran to a zentradi, not english. :p

... Sammy (I don't like and will never advocate "shammy")

That's really too bad for you, as it's the official romanization AND an actual finnish name(Shammy happens to be from Finland).

If they were going to beef up the sound FX, they COULD have used the material from Macross Plus and Zero.  The transformation effect would have been very nice, for instance. Oh, well.

Actually, they couldn't. Neither HG nor ADV has the rights to either program as far as anyone can tell(though HG claims otherwise).

And even if they did, they can't get the source material from Big West, who vehemently disagrees with HG's interpretation of the license and refuses to give them anything unless they pay for it(which HG won't do, because they "already own it.").

Hopefully, they'll reign it in a bit for further releases, and maybe, you know, for a shocker, get around to releasing the rest of the non-dubbed Macross titles.  Maybe Macross Zero or the Macross movie around Christmas 06?

Again, not gonna happen. HG refuses to pay for a MacZero license, as they recently decided their Macross license covers all aspects the entire franchise instead of just the TV series(they even claim they have a copyright on the TV series... *rolls eyes* ). Big West isn't going to just give it to them.

DYRL... had something like 4 seperate english licenses out at one time.

The problem is that no one knows who, if anyone, still has a valid license, and nobody wants to go to court over it. So everyone's waiting for someone else to make a move.

And even if they do sort it all out, they still have Harmony Gold waiting for THEIR day in court.

BTW, if you want more detail about the legal situation between HG and Big West, see the legal debate thread.

And welcome to the board. Keep your doorknobs away from Agent ONE and you'll be fine.

Edited by JB0

You mean to say ther were paid by HG to muh-ck it up? (pun intended) :D

First block yamato toys from sale, now sabotage the adv release of macross hoping to kill off any real support for original macross and instead only put effort into robotech. I get it now..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

No, not paid to muck it up, just encouraged not to use certain pronunciations or Romanisations to differentiate the titles. Foolish, in my opinion. It's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

In reply to JHO, I submit that Zentradi speaking to each other would understand each other clearly, and since the audience is also supposed to follow their conversation clearly, using an alien language in all-Zentradi scenes could hamper the storytelling. Zentradi would be perfect for the interrogation, as well as the echo. Have you managed to see those episodes from this release yet?

Sticking with Sammy (which is from the US...maybe.). Also fond of "Reflex" over "Reaction". Just a heads-up. :p

Ahh..I was not aware of the international friction. Oh, well. Looks like another decade or more of waiting...

Who would have thought ten years ago it would be easier to see Gundam than it is to see Macross?

Funny, I had always assumed (since my Robotech days) that the echo was just an effect of their booming voices emanating from 50 foot bodies.

The echo effect to portray them speaking Zentran makes sense. Except that their voices still carry that echo when they are actually speaking Zentran in DYRL.

Muh vs. Mah

I totally agree with Keith. The commentary has the director saying MUHcross one minute, and MAHcross the next. And then, in the first epsiode, we see Minmay's uncle do the same thing. He says something about "Looking up at the MUHcross" and then when Global and the Mayor drive by, he says "There go some more MAHcross bigwigs". MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

Of course, it should be noted that I have met several Macross fans, both die hard, and casual over the years, and heard both pronunciations of Macross from die hards and casual fans alike. So, it could be said that the characters each had their own way of pronouncing the word as is human nature. I think that is how I will have to rationalize it to be able to sleep at night. However, the logical side of me says that when you have all the source material that ADV has access to, plus an ORIGINAL voice actor, who no doubt pronounces it correctly (not to mention that, as JBO pointed out, it's in the goddamned theme song) you would get at least the title of the series correct. :angry:

I HATE ROY

I know Roy is supposed to be a hard-drinkin' womanizer type (on the surface) but this guy makes him sound like Randy Macho Man Savage. Funny too that in the commentary, the director says he had the VA for Roy picked out, and the guy had been wanting to play Roy all his life, and was really excited to do it. Funny, you'd think he'd have wanted to do it accurately. <_< Oh well, at least we only have to put up with him until Episode 18. :lol:

PS - The only thing I like about Roy is the lascivious MmmHmms and oh yeahs that he mumbles to himself while checking out Minmay. That is classic Roy. :rolleyes:

Slanging it up

Some of it is OK. While I did actually laugh out loud when Global made his "This ship is a piece of ...." comment, I immediately disliked it. If Global was one thing, he was a damned good Captain, and NO Captain will ever make a comment about that in front of his crew.....EVER.

The various sh!t's etc don't bother me as they were in the original. I am a little put off by "frickin" especially coming from Hikaru. I mean let's be realistic here. The only one who should be (and currently is) cussing like a New Yorker is Roy because he's actually American. Granted, Roy is currently overacting worse than Shatner on his best day.

The Director did not admit to it in the commentary, but I think they are trying to cash in on the whole "Meet the Parents/Fockers" craze with regards to the various times they mention Roy's last name. In the scene where Roy takes Hikaru and Minmay to Hikaru's racer and slams on the breaks, Hikaru actually shouts "Jeez, what the heck is wrong with you FOCKER?!" I think they Fockerized 'em. <_<

All in all, It's good. Mari and the extras make it worthwhile. And hey, the cover art so far is WAY better than that sh!t AnimEigo threw at us with their release.

In reply to JHO, I submit that Zentradi speaking to each other would understand each other clearly, and since the audience is also supposed to follow their conversation clearly, using an alien language in all-Zentradi scenes could hamper the storytelling.

Right. Hence the reverb effect. It's a cheap way to fake an alien voice being overlaid by a translator. :p

Sticking with Sammy (which is from the US...maybe.). Also fond of "Reflex" over "Reaction". Just a heads-up. :p

Oh gods, you're one of THOSE people.

It's reaction, as in nuclear reaction. "Reflexor" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

That's one of the biggest translation screwups HG made("protoculture = battery" being a rewrite issue).

Yes, Sammy's a valid US name. Too bad the character's not from the US. :p

Ahh..I was not aware of the international friction.  Oh, well.  Looks like another decade or more of waiting...

Don't worry. Eventually HG will go under.

Who would have thought ten years ago it would be easier to see Gundam than it is to see Macross?

Yah. That was right before everything went to crap.

Manga released Macross Plus in the US in '95, and HG blew up a few years later(if I recall, the new broader interpretation of their license started when people imported Mac Plus merchandise). Probably because that was about when they realized Robotech was old enough to have "retro appeal."

Why does everyone have to be so hard on HG? I understand you guys are all hardcore Macross fans. But seriously, they gave us Macross in the form of Robotech. Then based on their distribution rights they license Animeigo to give us a remastered version of our beloved Macross in it's original form. Now they license ADV to give us Macross with a decent (but not perfect) English dub. Those are some nice things for the Macross fans. This is not the place to argue over the distribution rights or anything, but hey... you guys are Macross "purists," so even if Bigwest did the English dub, I bet it still wouldn't have been perfect and you guys would be having similar discussions. Let's leave the HG bashing comments out of this thread and talk more about the ADV English Dub.

I am not a purist, so MuhCross vs. MahCross vs whatever is not a big deal to me. The English dub translation is fairly accurate/close to the Animeigo translation as far as I can tell, the 5.1 sound is pretty amazing and does not take away from the classic sound, image quality is of course amazing, and voice acting sounds fine to me. Mari's english is a little hard to understand at times. Hopefully they will work with her to improve her English in the rest of the series. Remember, anyone new to Macross is not gonna care about the differences in the japanese and english dubs.

I am looking forward to the rest of the ADV Macross English dub releases.

So are you, it seems. Won't shoot your sacred cows if you stay away from mine, deal?

I figured the reverb is what a Zentradi voice would sound to Terran ears. When speaking to each other, they would sound normal. We'll see what the future holds, in any case. I noticed in Macross 7 they changed the reverb effect, and dropped it entirely from Emilia's voice in the move. In Macross 7, Exedor switches between Zentradi and Terran while keeping the echo. Of course, the echo is mostly present in the Japanese audio in the TV series and the feature. Bottom line: Shoot me, please.

I'm going to try to work up the courage to finish off the rest of the content...

I'm glad Harmony Gold released Macross in the US as Robotech. Carl Macek's staff did a fairly decent job in producing an internationally-friendly version of this show, and it's sad to see more studios don't follow that example.

Edited by zogozzo

Why does everyone have to be so hard on HG?  I understand you guys are all hardcore Macross fans.  But seriously, they gave us Macross in the form of Robotech. ....

360191[/snapback]

You haven't been here long, have you? :(

...Carl Macek's staff did a fairly decent job in producing an internationally-friendly version of this show, and it's sad to see more studios don't follow that example.

Why don't I just take take Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, and Star Trek and lump them together into some kind of story? You want studios to bastardize more shows? :blink:

Why don't I just take take Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, and Star Trek and lump them together into some kind of story? You want studios to bastardize more shows? :blink:

360207[/snapback]

You know what would be even better? Recycling the special effects footage from Battlestar Galactica in a thoroughly awful but unrelated Sci-Fi movie.

Oh wait! That happened! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096149/

So are you, it seems. Won't shoot your sacred cows if you stay away from mine, deal?

Reflex sucked. It's an indefensible screwup. End of story.

I'm glad Harmony Gold released Macross in the US as Robotech. Carl Macek's staff did a fairly decent job in producing an internationally-friendly version of this show, and it's sad to see more studios don't follow that example.

360192[/snapback]

No. They didn't.

Other studios DID follow HG's example, for the record.

Ask a Sailor Moon fan about the Dic dub sometime. Or a Clamp fan about Cardcaptors.

And those are MILD compared to the HG hackjob.

Other studios DID follow HG's example, for the record.

Ask a Sailor Moon fan about the Dic dub sometime. Or a Clamp fan about Cardcaptors.

And those are MILD compared to the HG hackjob.

360217[/snapback]

To be fair, Robotech was never advertised or intended as a faithful translation of the source material. So, other companies hacking up a series while still promoting it under the same name isn't quite the same thing.

At the same time, it's not accurate to refer to Robotech as an "internationally-friendly version" of Macross, since it's a different story, and therefore not really any "version" of Macross at all.

I know it's too late but two weeks ago I saw the first MAcross english dub DVD from ADV in it's new boxset in my local comic book store I was shocked to see it out already. I think it's goig to six episodes per dvd considering the small space to allow for future releases that would be added into it. I have 10 volumes of Gundam Seed in one boxset 9 volumes two boxsets of the Macross series so I figure 8 Volumes of the ADV english version. Now I trying to decide if I want to get it or not considering I have th Animego set.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Now I trying to decide if I want to get it or not considering I have th Animego set.

360251[/snapback]

That's up to you. Unless you want 5.1 audio, English dub and a different translation. Or, get it if your Animeigo discs are cracking.

Well to be totally "accurate", I guess you could say this is ADV's interpretation of the show in this dub.

359848[/snapback]

Well I think all Macross fans have had enough of North American studios "interpreting" the show!

Were this many liberties taken with Evangelion??

My God, the show has had a loyal worldwide fanbase for over 20 years, it might occur to someone on this side of the ocean that MAYBE IT CAN STAND WELL ENOUGH ON IT'S OWN, without any "Help" or "interpretations"!

Edited by Zinjo

At the same time, it's not accurate to refer to Robotech as an "internationally-friendly version" of Macross, since it's a different story, and therefore not really any "version" of Macross at all.

360235[/snapback]

But, at least they pronounced Macross correctly. :lol:

360241[/snapback]

No, they didn't. Macross has "row, toe, bow, sew, low" sound. What they did in robotech was a "hoss, boss, toss, moss, floss" sound. The proper way to say it is

-Ma-Ku-Ro-Su (or more simply) Mak-Roh-ss

Just picked the ADV boxset with Skull Leader at Best Buy an hour ago. We got the last two.

I've just finished watching it and I'd say they did a fairly okay job dubbing it. Although the issue of Muh-cross and Mah-cross irritated me a bit. It made my skin crawl when the mayor initially said it. After 10 minutes, I didn't care anymore.

I'm glad they kept some of the original sound effects for the English dub and mix it with new ones. But the sound of the unmanned space fighter from ARMD-1 firing its missiles sounded too much like a Decepticon unloading energy rounds.

Roy's voice was alright but Hikaru sounded like a midwestern boy trying to speak Japanese. Minmay was, to me at least, sounded right. I guess it is because it was Mari Iijima after all. The Asian accent made all the difference.

Misa's voice is too high pitched for me. often enough she sounded on the verge of panic. She should've been authoritative and firm but yet nerous. Hopefully it will tone down after more episodes.

Global, Britai, Bridge Bunnies and the rest are acceptable. Exedol's voice is similar to Homotech's. Can anyone confirm this? I'm happy with his voice acting.

These are my $0.02. I still love this new version even though I owned the AnimEigo version. Hell, I even have the licensed HK bilingual version in VCD format in a 2' X 1' box.

I'd say buy it just because it's Macross in English.

My brother picked this set up. I didn't know it was released yet. I have the Animeigo ones from all those years ago, but I may pick this set up someday once it's all released.

I did like the dub. It seemed they changed the language to be a little more to today's standards, with "crap" and "fricking". I liked most of the voices. Hikaru's is still strange to me. I guess it's hard for me to accept another voice actor than Arihiro Hase. I would have liked him to sound a little less young. Minmay was very good. I think a lot of it has to do that I recognize the way her voice sounds, and a lot of her words and noises are the same. It makes me very happy that they casted Mari Iijima for this. If it were any other way, I think I'd watch a couple episodes and that's it. But with Mari, I'll watch the whole series, just to see her portray the part that I love so much.

I noticed some sounds from Transformers and Go-Bots thrown in the battle sequences. Definetly threw me off a bit. Nice to see them try and bring some new life to the sound effects, not that it needed it though.

Though I do like Britai and Exedole's voices, I really wish they would have went with at least a similar sound effect to the original voice actors. It made them seem more alien, and further humanized the Zentradi when they were Micronized.

Randy

Alright, I picked this up the other day and finally got around to watching it. Here are some of my impressions.

It took about one and a half episodes for me to get comfortable with the whole "muh-cross" pronounciation thing, and the way everyone except Mari pronounces Hikaru as "hi-kar-oo" still tends to grate (I pronounce it "hik-a-roo", regardless of whether that's correct or not), but I can live with it.

The majority of the English voice actors are pretty good, which is to say a vast improvement over the people who voiced Robotech. Thankfully they've kept Minmay's songs in their original Japanese instead of having Mari sing them in English. I actually had fears that HG would resurrect those dreadful Robotech songs and have Mari sing those instead. "Stage-fright, go away! This is my big day!" Shut up! Shut up! Shut the f**k up! Okay, sorry about that. Now all of us will have that damned song in our heads for days.

Moving on, I am also pleased with the translation. While it's not exactly the same as on the Animeigo set, it's pretty close. The writers have obviously taken a few liberties with the script to help "Americanize" it (like when Roy calls Hikaru a "pud-knocker; very Beavis and Butthead), but that doesn't bother me.

Anyway, overall I'm pleased with this release. It's nice to have a decent English-voice version of Macross. In addition, I also like having another set in case something unfortunate happens to my Animeigo discs.

My biggest complaint is that the discs are being released individually rather that as one complete set. While it is easier to throw down $20 each when they come out, I would rather spend more and get all of them now. But this is something that will not change no matter how much I want it to happen, so for now I'll just sit back and be happy with what I've got. But believe me, I'm eagerly awaiting the future volumes.

"Stage-fright, go away! This is my big day!" Shut up! Shut up! Shut the f**k up! Okay, sorry about that. Now all of us will have that damned song in our heads for days.

360623[/snapback]

Now I know whom I have to destroy. :)

Anyway, I might as well put my own $0.02 in.

I got it a couple of days ago from Amazon, and have watched most of the episodes with the dub on. For the most part, I like the voices:

Hikaru: So far, he's not as annoying as he could have been. Vic Mignola does a good job of conveying the "fish out of water" quality of Hikaru in those early episodes. If he knows hios stuff, as the character progresses, he'll do like Luke Skywalker and mature the characterization over time. In fact, he held his own remarkably, IMHO in the episode "Lynn Minmay."

Misa: Monica Rial, I'm blowing hot and cold on. In some parts, she's actually quite good, but she overdoes the scenes where Misa's under pressure -- she sounds at times not like she's no-nonsense but on the verge of panic. Although to be fair, she did nail the scene where she's flatfooted by finding out that Hikaru's a civilian piloting a military fighter.As an aside, in the commentary with her and Mari Iijima, she sounded a little like a perpetual cheerleader (perky to the point of obnoxiousness).

Minmay: Mari Iijima. Need I say more? She did an amazing job, given that English is not her native tongue, and that Japanese and English are as different as night and day. Other than some problems with sentence pacing and a few times where her accent intruded upon word pronounciations, she showed that she is a very good English voice actress.

Roy: Bleah. In some scenes, he's not bad, but he does sound often like a pro-wrestler who shall remain unnamed. In one scene ("Oh, I forgot, this is one of those fighters you haaaaate...") he sounded almost gay -- he was laying on the sarcasm with a snow shovel, where Akira Kamiya was more subdued but still busting Hikaru's chops. They could have done better IMHO -- hell, I would even have been happy if they had recruited Dan Woren (the only tolerable member of the Roboblech cast.) I will say this, though: Apparently, pudknocker IS fighterjock slang, meaning a person who is all mouth and no talent.

Claudia: Not bad, she actually captures a lot of the character quite well.

Global: Meh...he sounds a bit more "stage-actor"-like than I care for. The "British Major General"-esque accent is nicely done, though.

The Bridge Bunnies: Vanessa's actor isn't bad. I haven't heard enough of Kim or Shammie yet to make a judgement (although Shammie's voice seems just a little too overdone at times for me). One complaint on Kim's actor though: In "Lynn Minmay," when Kim makes coffee, the English voice sounds a little like, of all people, Ratso Rizzo from "Midnight Cowboy" when she says "Hey, I made some coffee here" in a (to me) somewhat snotty voice (soundeed like Dustin Hoffman's "I'm walkin' here! I'm walkin' here!").

The Zentradi: Not bad, but neither Britai or Exedol made a real impression on me. I do miss the Zent Echo, though.

The rest: Varied in quality from good (Minmay's Aunt, who also affected a slight accent, a nice touch IMHO to tie in with Mari Iijima) to annoying (most of the generic soldiers and workers, who all sound like they came from the $%#@ing Ozarks.)

The Script and everything else: I watched the dub along with the subtitles, and amazingly, apart from a few places of added exposition, the writers and translators resisted the urge to "improve" upon the original Japanese script. The two tracked very nicely and mostly differed in word choices for the convinience of the ADR recordings. I'm not used yet to "Muh-cross" yet (not sure I ever will) though. I was a little jarred by the added (not replacement) sound effects and the poorer sound quality (although apparently, that last was not something ADV had a great amount of control over), but in the end, neither was so jarring as to lose sleep over.

All in all, I think I'll keep up with the new dub. It wasn't as abysmal as it could have been. Some of the actors could use a bit of coaching and perhaps a little more studying of the original performances, though.

Probably so HG can get all of us saying it that way. Then, a few years from now, they'll release their "Muhcross" anime sequels and products and all the licensing disputes will be over!

Picked it up today and watched it with a couple of friends. We all liked it once we got by the few strange pronunciations. The way they pronounce Focker was the most grating for us. The new sounds didn't bother us to much, though I heard a little GI Joe type lasers from the Regults during episode 2. Episode 4 "Lynn Minmay" is where I feel Hikaru's voice actor started to get a feel for the character, or maybe I was getting used to the voice.

Over all I would say they did a fine job with the dub. For those who don't own the Animeigo version, pick this one up.

By the way it seems to be selling well at the stores where I live, or the stores didn't stock it to well. Best Buy had it, but I bought the second to last copy on the shelf.

The familiarity with her voice sells me, and it makes me feel like it's really Macross (though in English) and not someone's elses interpretation of Macross (like how Robotech was).

I agree. The chinese accent thing I like too. It helps bring the idea that there are many different cultures within the macross universe coming together to fight off the coming alien threat. Especially when pacifist Kaifun comes into the picture, his kung fu techniques should seem especially fancy to max and the others when they see him fight, like it is something they've never seen performed before.

About the alien echo: Yeah I realise what you are reffering to now. The echo is more a "long distance phonecall" delay or a "dude shouting at the mountains and hearing his voice a half second later" thing, than a "multiple people speaking at the same time" thing like in macross plus. I got confused between the macross plus echo which isn't alien sounding or strange, to the "I'm now speaking alien language to my alien friend" effect where the tone of the sound alters and goes high pitched at times.

Whenever I think of "alien" I think an alien should be "weird" so all those sound effects give off this impression. "OMG they are so strange, this must be what aliens sound like when talking" :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I got my copy of Muh-cross last Friday. Didn't get the box. I enjoyed it pretty much.

Mari's english voice acting isn't bad. I kinda like her accent.

The voice that got to me was Shammy. She had that irritating lisp sounding like Cindy Brady.

Was that Misa or Shammy announcing the transformation warning, because it sounded like a girl version of Fire Marshal Bill screaming.

Did anyone watch that original DUB of episode 1 by HG? The ending credits theme with the guy singing was really bad. :lol:

360192[/snapback]

Gotta disagree. They did anything but. They tried to breed three separate shows together in order to make something completely new (and failing abysmally at it, I might add). Had they presented it as three separate stories under a similar banner (like "Harmany Gold presents...." or something, that would be different. The reason most of us hate HG as bad as we do is because they've been dicking around with purist fans for a long time. Yes, we DID finally get the Animego set (which was wonderful), we've still been getting ass-ramed on merchandise. They've produced their own own piles of excrement and have tried on numerous occasions to prevent the sale of foreign toy products on these shores (legalities aside, that pap in a box they call their MPC line is nothing compared to a 1/48 Yamato... and they never even tried to make their own MacPlus valkyries after telling Toycom they couldn't sell theirs)

so yes, most of us hate Whoremoney Gold and for a good reason. Do we let it obsess us? Not most of us, but that doesn't stop me from hoping every last associate working for HG and their subcontractors gets a horrible case of whiskeydick on their honeymoons.