Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

Frankly, I don't know what all of the fuss is about the new Macross ADV version.

No offense to anyone, but I wonder if people here are overly harsh with it just because they already feel financially "vested" with the Animeigo set (it certainly wasn't cheap), which makes it hard to go with something newer, even if it might actually be better. To be honest with you, if someone without either had to choose between ADV and Animeigo, I would point them to ADV unless they absolutely love subtitles.

I'd like to clear up what I consider to be some minor misconceptions about the ADV version:

First off, I don't think the dub is all that bad, and compared to Robotech, it's great. It's wonderful to be able to immerse yourself in the imagery without having to focus on the subtitles. Like the Animeigo set, the remastered visuals are simply gorgeous (at least I think so), and I hate to miss any of them.

Secondly, I've heard some false claims recently (not necessarily here) about the 5.1 sound. Contrary to what some have said, these are NOT the same sounds that were used for RT remastered. The ADV version actually uses most of the original sounds (unlike RT remastered), and just compliments them here and there with some bass and effects. I think it ends up being an effective tradeoff. Being the geek that I am, I have directly compared RT:R and ADV Macross episodes and they are simply not the same. ADV has enough enhancements to sound great on a modern 5.1 system, but also enough of the original sounds to excite an old fan. If you have a decent 5.1 system, they you'd have to view this as at least somewhat positive.

Which brings me to my next point. The music in the ADV version is spectacular. It is so clean and robust, and it jumps right out of the speakers. It is clearly more powerful in 5.1 than in 2.0, and anyone who says otherwise hasn't experienced it this way. If you're a fan of the original soundtrack then this is just an undeniable bonus. It just makes it so epic.

The extras are also mildly entertaining, albeit they're not earth shattering. It's interesting to hear the interviews and see the notes.

Finally, I have to add a more subtle issue. This series holds a particular place in my heart, and I love to share it. My wife has never been fond of subtitled anime (it's like pulling teeth getting her to watch any with me), but now she is watching Macross episodes with me... and really getting into them! I was also able to watch some with my little brother who is a fan of TV dubbed anime (Gundam, Neon Genesis, etc.). He loved it as well.

Personally, I love the original, unadulterated, subtitled versions of Macross. In fact, if someone absolutely prefers subtitles, then maybe the ADV version just isn't for them. But it's a wonderful tradeoff to have a product like this that I can finally see with others who wouldn't have been drawn in otherwise.

This series holds a particular place in my heart, and I love to share it. My wife has never been fond of subtitled anime (it's like pulling teeth getting her to watch any with me), but now she is watching Macross episodes with me... and really getting into them!

No matter how many times you say it, the purists don't believe that casual fans actually prefer to hear a dub for the "I'm too lazy to read subtitles" reason. A friend of mine can't stand to read the text when thier eyes can be focused on other things while thier ears picking up the words and thier brain processing it all on the fly. Even if the Dub ain't so great, they will gladly take the hit in VA quality in exchange for the convenience of hearing words rather than them reading them out to themselves in thier head. And no, they are not dyslexic, just lazy.

I also don't mind variety of having two sets of audio to listen to. It's what dvd is good for. (haven't people ever liked to hear the director's commentary for movie dvds out of curiosity of what peopl were thinking when they made it? Maybe what should have been done is get Mari to do a commentary of what she was thinking in all 36 eps of macross. hehe :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

For me, it's not about being a purist or a fan or not of a particular film or TV series. I just generally prefer to listen to a foreign language production in it's orginal language and have Engish subtitles to read.

I'm not just talking about Japanese productions, any foreign language film or TV series, be it French, Spanish, German, Cantonese, Korean etc invariably sounds better when the dialogue is spoken by the original actors in their native tongue, rather than dubbed into English, often with some less than stellar voice acting.

As somebody who has been a voracious reader since the age of 7, with a high reading spead, I have no trouble reading subtitles and looking at the pretty pictures at the same time. :p

I do realise that subtitles are not for everybody, especially the large segment of the population that has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Graham

Ah but that is again assuming that all people that don't like subtitles have problems reading and watching at the same time and this must then be the basis for thier preference. That's all I want to clear up: They just prefer to hear people say the words and/or like a less busy view. Nothing to do with how good they are at reading. :)

Similar to how an ambidextrous person can use both his left hand or right hand to do a task but may just favour one over the other. (but still being equally good with either)

The problem is some people won't watch something that involves having to read and pay attention to the screen because it means they have to be glued to the screen. Like when a character says something they have to have thier eye ready to capture the message when normally they could hear the character say it without having thier eye at a specific area of the screen.

It's got nothing to do with them being unable to read, but more to do with putting more effort into the watching of a show. Something they may only have a casual interest in.

A good example:

Taking out the garbage takes virtually no skill to perform. But choosing NOT to take out the garbage doesn't mean I haven't the skill to do it. It just meant I was lazy and chose not to because it takes 'effort' (getting up off the comfy couch) or I just wasn't in the mood at the moment to care enough. Nothing to do with an inability to perform the boring task. In my dream world a robot would do this for me. But the basis for me wanting that does not mean I think it is a hard task to perform that requires too much skill: just that I prefer I didn't have to do it.

It is more the laziness of people that don't want to keep thier eye focused at a certain area of the screen more than thier inability to read quickly. One is preffered because hearing words is just more relaxing to them. That doesn't mean they think eng dub is better, or that the original VA isn't good, they just aren't that interested enough to care either way and want to put as little effort as possible. :D

Being dumb and preffering dub, is not quite the same as being lazy and preffering dub. For the casual fan, and to get them into something, what you want is the path of least resistance which is the positive point of including dub for those that refuse to care enough about the work (ie the show is just not something they are into to begin with) to even pay attention to the acting. Sometimes to get someone into something you got to cater to thier lazy attitude to something to make it easy (as in takes less 'effort' not 'skill') for them before they will even BEGIN to watch.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well just got my dubbed Macross DVd today. It is excellent. I am really glad I got back into Macross.

The voices arent bad at all. Although I really dont care for Roy's or Global's dubbed voices. Misa's voice is too high pitched when she goes off but I think the voice actress is good. Other than that the voice IMO are great. (Especially Mari iijima.) The surround sound is great. I recommend this DVd highly!

Any word of when Volume 2 will be out? (I'm assuming it isnt out yet because I didnt see it when I picked volume 1 up.)

MicronianDevil,

Does Iijima’s English sound good? I loved her Japanese voice over but I was never sure about how the dialogue would rolled out in her English tongue. As cute as 20 years ago?

...I think the voice actress is good. Other than that the voice IMO are great. (Especially Mari iijima.)...

376919[/snapback]

It's out next tuesday..but right stuff shipped it out almost two over a week ago (still haven't checked mine out yet).

377079[/snapback]

Cool. Thanks for the info.

MicronianDevil,

Does Iijima’s English sound good?  I loved her Japanese voice over but I was never sure about how the dialogue would rolled out in her English tongue.  As cute as 20 years ago?

...I think the voice actress is good. Other than that the voice IMO are great. (Especially Mari iijima.)...

376919[/snapback]

377133[/snapback]

Yes her voice is as cute as 20 years ago. She does a great job. And when she says "Hikaru!" still sounds exactly the same as it did some 20+years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
It's the 14th.  Isn't it (Vol.2) suppose to be out today?  I was checking Best Buy's website and it seems like it's up for ordering my it looks like no stores have gotton it yet.

380279[/snapback]

Just got back from my local Best Buy, they don't have it either. The guy I talked to says its been pushed back to the 28th. He checked a few sites and they all said 3/14. He told me to call back tomorrow because they will get a shipment in and it might be on it.

My copy arrived today, courtesy of deepdiscountdvd. I haven't had much time to watch it yet, but from the little I've seen I'm actually (wait for it...) content with the voices for Max and Kamjin. :o "MUHcross" still makes me roll my eyes, but this dub is growing on me. Slowly.

Just got back from my local Best Buy, they don't have it either. The guy I talked to says its been pushed back to the 28th. He checked a few sites and they all said 3/14. He told me to call back tomorrow because they will get a shipment in and it might be on it.

380365[/snapback]

It wasn't in where I am either, and I checked Best Buy as well. This is strange because every site I've checked (Suncoast, Amazon, Best Buy) all have the 14th listed still. Very odd.

380365[/snapback]

It wasn't in where I am either, and I checked Best Buy as well. This is strange because every site I've checked (Suncoast, Amazon, Best Buy) all have the 14th listed still. Very odd.

380385[/snapback]

I think Best Buy is screwed up, too bad they are the only one around me that carries it. I will call them tomorow, but I wonder if I'll get a straight answer, because their instore computer has the 28th listed, I saw it on the screen. :angry:

Edited by valk1j

380365[/snapback]

380385[/snapback]

I think Best Buy is screwed up, too bad they are the only one around me that carries it. I will call them tomorow, but I wonder if I'll get a straight answer, because their instore computer has the 28th listed, I saw it on the screen. :angry:

380387[/snapback]

I guess I wasn't the only one disappointed in Best Buy today...they told me the 28th too! Oh well...anyone know another store that might carry Vol. 2?

I guess I wasn't the only one disappointed in Best Buy today...they told me the 28th too!  Oh well...anyone know another store that might carry Vol. 2?

380491[/snapback]

I've already found a copy at Suncoast, which I believe is a nationwide chain (usually located in shopping malls).

I went ahead and took a quick peak of the end of episode 11 to see if Minmay's first musical performance was altered at all (it's not! :) ). She sure does sound great in 5.1!

I guess I wasn't the only one disappointed in Best Buy today...they told me the 28th too!  Oh well...anyone know another store that might carry Vol. 2?

380491[/snapback]

I've already found a copy at Suncoast, which I believe is a nationwide chain (usually located in shopping malls).

I went ahead and took a quick peak of the end of episode 11 to see if Minmay's first musical performance was altered at all (it's not! :) ). She sure does sound great in 5.1!

380519[/snapback]

I guess that's where I'll get it this weekend...so its true that there's only 5 episodes in the set? Maybe they'll release them faster then. Anyone know when Vol. 3 is gonna be out? :p

380491[/snapback]

380519[/snapback]

Called Best Buy, got the same answer: the 28th. The nearest Suncoast to me is 90 miles away, so I'm not making that trip. There is nothing else near me that will carry it. Guess I'll wait or order it online.

Mari had a great interview on the first disc.  ;)

380719[/snapback]

One thing I thought was interesting in that interview is that in the background, they're clearly playing the AnimEigo sub version... :lol:

380491[/snapback]

380519[/snapback]

Called Best Buy, got the same answer: the 28th. The nearest Suncoast to me is 90 miles away, so I'm not making that trip. There is nothing else near me that will carry it. Guess I'll wait or order it online.

380702[/snapback]

Here's my updated Vol. 2 search...Nothing so far...Neither Suncoast or the other mall stores I looked in had it. I'm thinking I'll just have to wait.

Doesn't Fry's Electronics sell them Iv seen it around thier a few times.

380826[/snapback]

Fry's doesn't follow release dates on their anime titles. Most of the time they get new stuff 2-3 weeks after the intended release date. So if Vol. 2 is delayed till the 28th then expect Fry's to have it later or not at all.

I remember wanting to get Macross Vol. 1 and they didn't get it till the following month.

Ended up getting it at Best Buy.

I got my copy today. Couldnt find it at Best Buy or Suncoast, so went to some anime store in the local mall and they had it there.

Was afraid to hear what Max was going to sound like but his voice actor is good. Has a deep voice like the japanese voice actor. Kakizaki's voice actor is good too. As well as Kamjin's. Now just need to hear what Millia's is going to sound like. :ph34r:

Edited by MicronianDevil

I watched the first episode and checked out the "special features". I was not that impressed with the voice acting although it was novel to hear Mari doing Minmei in English.

I was disappointed with the extra titled "original english dub" of Macross. I had that on tape when it came out and I wanted to hear the embarassing theme song again for old time sake - " A Super Space Fortress called MACROSS! Dumdiddy-Dum!" Guess what? It's not there. They have used the original voice tracks to reconstruct a facimile of that first version but this is not the full original version released on VHS in 1984.

I won't be buying these since I have the ADV restored versions.

Edited by DestroidDefender

The old HG dub song is there, but only during the end credits.

382085[/snapback]

Ah. I admit I did not sit through the whole thing. I recall the song being used at the beginning. As a matter of fact the VHS tape I had had the end cut off so I could not have heard it during the end credits.

In any case, I don't reccommend this version over the ADV version. If you have the Robotech version in English already then, again, I don't see too much to reccommend this one.

Guest Bromgrev
Finally broke down and ordered #1 & 2 from amazon. Not for myself you understand, as I don't like dubs, but for the purpose of getting my son into Macross. :D

382023[/snapback]

That old excuse ... :p

Some people do care about the dubs, there are some people who hate reading subtitles and hearing a language they don't understand, they just won't do it no matter what you do. And even if they violate some sense of the purity of the show for you or other guys, every dollar they spend counts as much as ours.

I say that excuse used so often and it's still as stupid as day one.  What idiot can't focus on the images on the screen and dialog at the same time?  I never had that problem.  My attention is taken up by both but I don't suffer from missing out on either.  Only idiots that might have this problem are poor readers.  Some people don't even want to hear Japanese?  They love to see the Japanese pictures but not the Japanese language.  Those are some pretty crappy racists.  True their dollar are a worth as much as ours and even more.  The vast majority are stupid or at least that what most importants of forgein movies etc think.  The more you dumb it down the more attention you get.

Really is it worth trying to make some thing that appeals to everyone at the expense of the art itself?

338265[/snapback]

Don't forget.Theres also this macgic button on the dvd remote that lets you rewind and pause, just incase you can't, unlike roy, focus on to things at once. :ph34r:

The old HG dub song is there, but only during the end credits.

382085[/snapback]

Ah. I admit I did not sit through the whole thing. I recall the song being used at the beginning. As a matter of fact the VHS tape I had had the end cut off so I could not have heard it during the end credits.

In any case, I don't reccommend this version over the ADV version. If you have the Robotech version in English already then, again, I don't see too much to reccommend this one.

382087[/snapback]

It's more there as a novelty than anything, I don't think anyone's going to watch it in lieu of the Japanese audio (or adv dub..) with any regularity, especially since it's just the one episode included.