Star Wars Rebels - animated series

I nearly gave up on Clone Wars (and this) when I got to the Younglings building lightsabers - I ended up skipping those and the droid episodes that followed. The ones following that were excellent. Hopefully this show has fewer clunker episodes and more of the good ones. The teaser clip does not make me hopeful though.

Watched it last night and agree with the sentiments here. Not horrible but needs improvement. As was pointed out already, CW was a bit silly in the beginning too, but matured greatly. What I fear, is Disney not letting Rebels grow and mature as CW did, to make it stay more kid friendly.

Chris

Just caught the 1 hour pilot (?) at Disney XD. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

It's definitely very kid-friendly, with a couple of silly plot holes (stormtroopers missing a holocron during a so-called body search...that doesn't involve frisking for some reason).

Never watched CW, so I can't comment on that.

First series episode and already falling back on showcasing classic characters for story telling fodder... Although, it was well handled, all things considered.

And even at point blank range, the bucket-heads still can't hit the broad side of a barn :rolleyes:. Muttonchops is the only somewhat competent imperial depicted thus far; it's a wonder that, with such poor soldiers, the Empire was able to conquer anything... sheer overwhelming numbers, I guess.

Next week, the Inquisitor makes his non-hologram appearance.

Hopefully his lines is better than what we heard in ROTS.

That was him? Seriously, I can't believe I didn't know that until now.

you mean his 3 lines and 2 minutes of screen time? God I hope so.

so I'm confused though. rebels airs on ABC or Disney XD?

Can't quite be sure since I live in Malaysia, but I watched the 1-hour movie on Disney XD in the local cable TV network.

First series episode and already falling back on showcasing classic characters for story telling fodder... Although, it was well handled, all things considered.

And even at point blank range, the bucket-heads still can't hit the broad side of a barn :rolleyes:. Muttonchops is the only somewhat competent imperial depicted thus far; it's a wonder that, with such poor soldiers, the Empire was able to conquer anything... sheer overwhelming numbers, I guess.

Next week, the Inquisitor makes his non-hologram appearance.

They got pwned by feral teddy bears in ROTJ, so it's not really that much better in the movies. :mellow:

Edited by GU-11

^ That's kind of cool and not surprising at all that Disney would want to absolutely canonize their ride designs; but since I've never been on that ride, or Disney Land/World for that matter, it didn't register with me at all. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

The style seems to me like a simplified version of what we saw in The Clone Wars; it's very similar, but lacks the "weight" of the rendering of the previous series. It's color pallet also comes across as far more pastels and muted tones that give it a "chalky" look that is visually flatter than TCW. At least that's the way I see it.

• 2 months later...

I liked how Billy D played Lando, but I was not thrilled with the animation. The over-the-top gesticulating seems more obvious on a Lando, because we've seen him IRL. Lando does strike me as the kind of guy to wave his hands around so much and shrug a lot.

Apparently James Hong does the voice for the gangster in this episode. It would've been fun if they dropped in a Lo Pan reference.

I've enjoyed where Rebels has been for the last few episodes, but I guess it was time to switch back to Jar Jar mode.

Edited by Kelsain

^^Which one though? Volume 1 or Volume 2?

Volume 1 just had the kewl factor going for it and lacked any meaningful or substantial plots.

Volume 2 actually had some pretty solid, interconnected stories and some damn memorable moments.

I really didn't get into the CGI CW series until much later. But it seems like every Clone-centric episode or arc is awesome. And despite my initial misgivings about bringing the character back, Darth Maul's appearance was actually done fairly well.

As for Rebels, it's one of those "I'll watch it if there's nothing else on" shows, but I'm not actively seeking it out or DVR'ing it yet. The series just hasn't had one of those signature, jaw-dropping :blink: moments yet.

I liked how Billy D played Lando, but I was not thrilled with the animation. The over-the-top gesticulating seems more obvious on a Lando, because we've seen him IRL. Lando does strike me as the kind of guy to wave his hands around so much and shrug a lot.

Kind of like the animators don't understand how to animate in "cool" mode?

• 1 month later...

Pretty dang good season finale.

Vader enters the mix, ostensibly in his Ep.4 role as Tarkin's attack dog. And Fulcrum's identity is revealed: Ashoka Tano. Now, if they only bring back Assage Ventress, this serie's potential for awesomeness will be fulfilled...

Edited by mechaninac

Pretty dang good season finale.

Vader enters the mix, ostensibly in his Ep.4 role as Tarkin's attack dog. And Fulcrum's identity is revealed: Ashoka Tano. Now, if they only bring back Assage Ventress, this serie's potential for awesomeness will be fulfilled...

G-dammit. Knew I shouldn't have hit the spoiler link. Time to hunt down the episode before reading anymore.