Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

The Valk can look feminine all it wants. They are all referred to as "she" in the end, even the VF-1. From an Engineering standpoint (being an Engineering student) I love the design of the VF-25. It seems what most people don't like is something aesthetic. The thing with the way it looks though, although the show tries to make it look good in any case, in engineering vehicles like this every part and every curve has a certain function (whether we know what it is or not) and if to make the design work then the vehicle has to have something that makes it ugly then the vehicle will have to be ugly. An Engineer doesn't change a design that works based on whether it looks good or not.

Despite all this though, I think the VF-25 is beautiful, but then again, I have an engineering and mechanical mind so perhaps my perception of it is warped a bit.

Edited by Master Dex

I think that the armored VF-25 is one of the most aesthetically beautiful valks ever designed. And I am an artist and graphic designer. But of course art is subjective. I cant wait to get one (or three) of these in my collection!

I do like these thinner new valks. I'd prefer sleeker jets than beefier bots.

Armored one is also great. They look like VF-4, VE-1, and an armored gerwalk put together...

I wonder how those two giant boosters on the back attach.

Though this is not a PVC toy, I hope its not going to be like Gundam Fix Figuration.

I do like these thinner new valks. I'd prefer sleeker jets than beefier bots.

I wonder how those two giant boosters on the back attach.

I agree, I've always liked sleeker jets myself. All my ideas for designs involve something usually looking very sleek. Although for space ships that really isn't necessary and therefor not needed (and I would be contradicting myself in my last post, lol). As for atmospheric or aerospace craft such as the Valkyries are, I go for something sleek because that helps negate air resistance.

I believe the boosters on the armored VF-25 are connected to the wings. I believe the boosters have a sleeve or something the wings slide into, but this is all based on observation and screen shots I've taken from episode 1 so it could be something different, but seeing as the wings don't appear to be there in the armored shots, I think that the boosters are simply fixed over the wings.

Edited by Master Dex

You mean you didn't watch episode 1 of Frontier yet?????

Don't worry, the masses will have their chance again to watch it in 2 weeks. Then we get to ride this thing ALL. OVER. AGAIN. It will be funny when we get newbs in here saying "OMG 1/60 VF-25 DX Chogokin ~ *drools... dies* I just heard about it...blah blah blah". Our response...."We've known about it since March. Where have you been? :rolleyes: "

Don't worry, the masses will have their chance again to watch it in 2 weeks. Then we get to ride this thing ALL. OVER. AGAIN. It will be funny when we get newbs in here saying "OMG 1/60 VF-25 DX Chogokin ~ *drools... dies* I just heard about it...blah blah blah". Our response...."We've known about it since March. Where have you been? :rolleyes: "

Doesn't take a prophet to know that eh? :lol:

wait, what happens in 2 weeks? ^_^

You mean you didn't watch episode 1 of Frontier yet?????

Graham

:lol: Sorry. I meant that it was the first time to see that specific pic of the armoured vf-25 and that since seeing it first in the show, i'm still not liking it.

Me am no friend to grammar.

Edited by Alex

Ok - here's my take...

First - the VF-25 could have been MUCH worse.

In the end, it seems logical that the machine has to have a lot of the YF-19 in it, since the VF-19 was such an iconic and powerful fighter in the end. The SV-51 element is not so much IN the VF-25 as it is in the YF-19.

I've always considered the YF-19 to be UNspacey's nod of recognition towards Anti-UN for producing something as good as the SV-51; and the YF-19 seems to be an attempt to adapt alot of what makes the SV-51 work so well.

Let's face it - the worse thing about the classic VF-1 is the stupid swivel legs - stupid because it was so hard to actually build the darned thing - I mean; it must have been extremely difficult to build a real life VF-1 given how extremely hard the perfect TF version was to come up with - and even then those swivel legs are really really kind of lame - because I just can't imagine that thing really transforming in mid air without going into multiple barrel rolls...

The VF-25 does, however, keep what is best about the VF-1 --- the fighter mode.

In fighter mode, the 25 seems to really be just another VF-1 with a longer nose and sleeker design - but it harkens back really well.

Final thought: the head looks like Gaemlin's VF-17S ... and I never really liked that much.

As for it being so slender..well...that is just the trend recently; look at the Transformers from the movie.

I too favor bulky bots; but ho hum such are the times.

I don't like the swiveling guns on the Armored mode - yucky - and the ELINT radar... it's just over done.

But maybe when I see the toy version I'll like it just fine.

Over all - could have been much worse - this is a conservative upgrade; and it should be.

good work.

VFTF1

I still don't know what to think of the armored 25. It seems a little too Gundam. However, it does look quite nice in fighter mode. Passable at least. I'm just reminded too strongly of a couple of the Gundam-G mecha when I see the Battroid mode.

If Bandai can produce a Valk with the same quality and price (or lower) than Yamato's Valks, then Im all game for it. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes of it. I cant wait to get my hands on a VF-25 with full armor.

Nothing at all in the hobby mags? I'd have thought this would be big news after the debut at wonderfest.

The hobby mags basically just have the Wonderfest pics. Don't forget there is a fairly long lead time in print publishing, so it was never likely that this month's mags would show anything new or exciting that we haven't already seen.

I would expect the really interesting pics to start appearing in the issues released towards the end of April.

I've scanned the new Hobby Japan on page 28 or 29 of the Frontier news thread.

Graham

Not too happy about the kibble on the back.

YF-19 and SV-51 did a much better job of taking care of this... the wings on the YF-19 are there, sure, but not as intrusive as they could be - whereas the bird-man solution on the SV-51 is great...

Here they just "hang back" ... and they are not- Patlabor Griffon Like - the type of wings you would associate with a "flying robot"...

But we'll see what the final result looks like :)

VFTF1

I think the whole thing has a Macross II-ish feel to it, the stripped battroid looks very Metal Siren-ish and then all armored up has the whole VF-2SS feel to it.

Feels more Eureka 7 or Armored Core to me.

Feels more Eureka 7 or Armored Core to me.

I agree. I don't see any of the faux futuristic style of Macross II in the new VF-25. The head in particular looks like Eureka 7, the thin frame and the torso reminds me of Armored Core modular structures.