Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

After viewing the episode:

I think the VF-171 is actually called a VF-117 - if you go frame by frame when they show the scout being destroyed on the tactical screen, it shows this.

Also the Ghosts are identified as AIF7S.

Sweet episode cant wait for more!!

yes, i noticed that too. but then the label on the scout itself says VF-171, so i guess the tactical screen label should be a mistake.

But why would every "VF-171" have its name painted on it??? I think it stands for their fighter group (such as Veritech Fighter Group 171) not the actual fighter designation. The VF-25 doesn't have VF-25 painted on it - it has SMS007.

Veritech? WTF....

We haven't even had the minute details of the VF-25 shown to us yet.

In the original series, the VF-1 is shown to display it's model number, and I can also remember in Macross Plus the YF-21 having it's own model number printed on it, and more recently the VF-0.

A big clue is this VF is based off a well known one in the Macross Universe, the VF-17.

Edited by kensei

Your evidence is compelling, I'm sure that the "J" after the VF-1 meant nothing, and they were part of this Variable Fighter Group 1 J.

So only prototypes get their name on the chassis. I didn't know that.

Edited by kensei

Your evidence is compelling, I'm sure that the "J" after the VF-1 meant nothing, and they were part of this Variable Fighter Group 1 J.

So only prototypes get their name on the chassis. I didn't know that.

Easy on the Newbs Kensei, they have much to learn and it is up to us to teach 'em.... B))

Easy on the Newbs Kensei, they have much to learn and it is up to us to teach 'em.... B))

Actually he's got me there, I've seen no numbers on the VF-4 or the 11 or the old VF-17 in Macross 7....

Edited by kensei

I expect there will be a marketing blitz between now and April. Interviews, lineart, art, etc.... This looks like a fairly expensive production so they will want to get as many eyes watching it as possible...

Better start saving... It's a safe bet that we'll have art books, CDs and toys (by Bandai and/or Yamato)... who knows what else they will come up with. Maybe a PS3 game? :D

Better start saving... It's a safe bet that we'll have art books, CDs and toys (by Bandai and/or Yamato)... who knows what else they will come up with. Maybe a PS3 game? :D

As long as it played like or close to the PS2 game, I'd be all for it. Bring on the merch! Hell, has "Don't Be Late" been solicited as a single yet?

And the missilon dollar question is, just what is that purple CG VF on the screen? It isn't a VF-25, SV-51 or VF-4, although it shares elements of all.

Perhaps a mid season replacement for the VF-25? OOr maybe just an earlier design for the VF-25 that Kawamori discarded.

Graham

And the missilon dollar question is, just what is that purple CG VF on the screen? It isn't a VF-25, SV-51 or VF-4, although it shares elements of all.

Perhaps a mid season replacement for the VF-25? OOr maybe just an earlier design for the VF-25 that Kawamori discarded.

Graham

Looks like an old SV-51 design to me, but I'd need to check my books to be sure.

Looks nice though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0pSUdKjxTk

That's really amasing, using lego for skecth conception. He do that since college, so I expect that it was a toy like that who give birth of the vf1 gerwalk (I read in an old interview of Kawamori that the gerwalk was created after he play with a toy...)

Edited by Nexx2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0pSUdKjxTk

That's really amasing, using lego for skecth conception. He do that since college, so I expect that it was a toy like that who give birth of the vf1 gerwalk (I read in an old interview of Kawamori that the gerwalk was created after he play with a toy...)

Thanks for the link Nexx2!

Does this make anyone else wanna start playing with Lego's right now?

After viewing the episode:

I think the VF-171 is actually called a VF-117 - if you go frame by frame when they show the scout being destroyed on the tactical screen, it shows this.

Also the Ghosts are identified as AIF7S.

Sweet episode cant wait for more!!

Typically fighters all have 3-letter identifiers. The first number typically tells what the planes mission is, like 1 is strike and 9 is special ops or something. Then the last two tell it's place in the squad or flight group. So that ship was probably a strike fighter and the 17th ship in that squad.

It's been awhile since I've looked at that so I don't know for sure.

No, it doesn't clearly mean it.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1E

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...man&WC=none

Sanseido's Daily Concise: helmsman = 舵取り

All dictionaries referenced give 操舵 as steering. Tuttle's "The Learner's Kanji Dictionary" gives 士 as Samurai; man; scholar. 最新漢韓字典 gives 士 as scholar, or warrior.

Therefore, the term could be translated as: steering samurai, steering warrior, steering man, or steering scholar.

I will concede that helmsman conveys a similar meaning to that of 操舵士, but for me, and the reference material that I have available, 操舵士 has an entirely different facet that 操舵手 (helmsman) does not convey.

For some, this may seem like arguing semantics, but it is par for the course with translations. Subtle differences could result in entirely different concepts when mistranslated. For those readers who have read this far, if you want the quick and dirty translation, go with cyde01's translation. If you want a more exact and nuanced translation, go with the list of possible translations that I have provided herein.

bull crap sketchley, you are totally arguing semantics.

if sketchley was a native japanese speaker and not someone who learned japanese through books, he would know that kanji ending with 士(shi), when not in reference to a warrior, almost always refers to a professional operator of some sort. 手(shu) can be used in the same way. for kanji that have both a 士(shi) and 手(shu) form, the 士(shi) version always connotes either a military version of the term or a higher level of profession.

some examples that use the word 士(shi): 飛行士(pilot), 宇宙飛行士(astronaut), 運転士 (driver, but only used for operators of trains, crains, other heavy machinery, for taxis they use 運転手), 操縦士(a generic word for pilot, but can be of something other than a plane).

thus, any NATIVE SPEAKER of Japanese would realize that 操舵手 and 操舵士 have the same denotative meaning, with a slightly different connotative usage. anyone Japanese would tell you that both a 操舵手 and 操舵士 are "the guy who steers the ship." they would tell you it means helmsman if they knew the english word for helmsman. apparently they don't teach this kinda stuff in Japanese language courses for non-native speakers. <_< sketchleyさんはまだ勉強が

足りないようなのでこれを参考にしてみてはいかがかな? http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%81%8B%E8%BB%A2%E5%A3%AB

if you want an approximate translation based on guestimates by using translation dictionaries and Japanese 101 textbooks, use sketchley's translation. if you want a more nuanced translation from a native speaker of the language that KNOWS THE NUANCES OF THE LANGUAGE, i would suggest you look at sketchley's translations with a lot of skepticism.

steering samurai, steering warrior, or steering scholar, please.<_< no those would all be incorrect translations.

Edited by cyde01

I wonder how will they stop that big red mecha, it seems unstoppable, it can take direct hits by the VF-25 gunpod and a pair of missiles without a hitch

and where did the other big red mecha went to, there were 2 of them, but only one went in the city...so, I guess Ozma is fending of this one

and why did he tell Leon to retreat when they were pursuing the mecha ??? [based on bad subbing]

and why did he tell Leon to retreat when they were pursuing the mecha ??? [based on bad subbing]

He didn't. According to the 'good' subs, Ozma says to him, "Hiiro, we need to protect the colony", to which he replies, "Don't need to tell me!"

I wonder how will they stop that big red mecha, it seems unstoppable, it can take direct hits by the VF-25 gunpod and a pair of missiles without a hitch

Ah, this is where Alto's kabuki traditions come into play... in the next ep he'll kabuki the big red mecha to death using the VF-25 through a mixture of kabuki song and dance... song force reborn! /jk :p

There is a third sub out now, I'd rate it as "good" as well, but it has differences from the other "good" sub. Neither one is perfect (for instance, the third botches the lyrics to 'Don't Be Late'). All three subs use different names, but having watched both good ones and doing some careful listening, I do believe Ozma's wingman's name is 'Gilliam'.

Edited by Duke Togo

Graham

It's very likely the latter as on the Good subbed version Alto made the comment "They're deployed already?" when he saw the VF-25 for the first time.

It's much better when you can finally understand what they're saying. ^_^ I think this series is going to be awesome, I love the nods to the original SDF Macross series, very cool!

-Kyp