Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24559

I have already started a thread with several guidelines regarding MF. The first posts has all the links you'll need. File requests and offers of any kind are not permitted anywhere on the forum. If you have a link, PM a mod and it will be added.

HAHAHA

SORRY, excite~~~excite~~~

I do not notice that

^^

FYI, the character is not specifically stated to be at the helm of anything.

何言ってんだよ "S.M.Sのマクロス25(クォーター)戦艦操舵士。"

戦艦操舵士 clearly means battleship helmsman.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24559

I have already started a thread with several guidelines regarding MF. The first posts has all the links you'll need. File requests and offers of any kind are not permitted anywhere on the forum. If you have a link, PM a mod and it will be added.

Has somebody found the whole TV special?

This is the original post:

"most civilized nations..." "abhorred" Sorry you arrogant prick, these are loaded words and you know it. And learning not to assume is also something you learn in university, but maybe you missed that class so you could take some extension classes on "how to use your knowledge to be a complete ass on the internet 101".

Look at the posters names. When does Sketchley = Sketch?

You are attributing another person's post to me.

User profiles:

Sketchley (me): http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showuser=3910

Sketch (not me): http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showuser=1441

If you need a mod to provide you the IP addresses, I'm sure that can be provided.

And mods, can you censure Eugimon?

Edited by sketchley

何言ってんだよ "S.M.Sのマクロス25(クォーター)戦艦操舵士。"

戦艦操舵士 clearly means battleship helmsman.

No, it doesn't clearly mean it.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1E

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...man&WC=none

Sanseido's Daily Concise: helmsman = 舵取り

All dictionaries referenced give 操舵 as steering. Tuttle's "The Learner's Kanji Dictionary" gives 士 as Samurai; man; scholar. 最新漢韓字典 gives 士 as scholar, or warrior.

Therefore, the term could be translated as: steering samurai, steering warrior, steering man, or steering scholar.

I will concede that helmsman conveys a similar meaning to that of 操舵士, but for me, and the reference material that I have available, 操舵士 has an entirely different facet that 操舵手 (helmsman) does not convey.

For some, this may seem like arguing semantics, but it is par for the course with translations. Subtle differences could result in entirely different concepts when mistranslated. For those readers who have read this far, if you want the quick and dirty translation, go with cyde01's translation. If you want a more exact and nuanced translation, go with the list of possible translations that I have provided herein.

Just to clarify, our effeminate helmsman makes an appearance in the first episode, and indeed he was at the helm.

OK, i want to know if it is just me or at 00:27 we get to see the VF-19A since tough the image is not quite clear i can manage to see what looks like forward swep wings.

also it seems that were're gonna see some gerwalk action on episode 2

edit: oops looks like i quoted duke togo by mistake, i was going to quote azrale's link post. sorry

Edited by striderhiryu

File requests and offers of any kind are not permitted anywhere on the forum beyond this post. This includes, but is not limited to BitTorrent files/links, YouTube or related video-sharing site links, Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc. links, etc.. We will provide download locations for you. Any user-post in violation of this rule will be deleted without notice. Repeated offenses may result in a ban.
Edited by azrael
Mod edit

Who's kidding who... will Bandai make 'em? All they could pull off is re-ishes of model kits

Oh i dunno, thought you knew something I didn't. The obvious answer is probably Bandai, but I hope that it's a free for all, like Mospeada, and we'll have a few cool competitive designs.

Haven't seen a VF-17S equivalent of a VF-171 yet. Wonder if it is going to show up.

So it does transform after all.

I love the extra details on the 171 in the first ep.

In wonder if it was a wise choice to have the other eps so for away. I mean, I don't want people to forget lose interest in this franchise now, I want to support it fully, unlike back in the time of Macross Zero. But then again, when March hits I suppose the first ep will reair, and we'll be getting regular eps weekly till Christmas, so it's a bit different.

I really liked the purple-striped VF-25, I hope we see it at some point. If nothing else, it's DIFFERENT. Personally, I'm getting starting to get sick of "pale grey/white valk with black and yellow stripes and a skull". I've got a VF-1 painted like that, I will buy no others. Same for "hero-boy's valk with red stripes".

But purple stripes on white? That's new.

Haven't seen a VF-17S equivalent of a VF-171 yet. Wonder if it is going to show up.

So it does transform after all.

I love the extra details on the 171 in the first ep.

In wonder if it was a wise choice to have the other eps so for away. I mean, I don't want people to forget lose interest in this franchise now, I want to support it fully, unlike back in the time of Macross Zero. But then again, when March hits I suppose the first ep will reair, and we'll be getting regular eps weekly till Christmas, so it's a bit different.

I expect there will be a marketing blitz between now and April. Interviews, lineart, art, etc.... This looks like a fairly expensive production so they will want to get as many eyes watching it as possible...

After viewing the episode:

I think the VF-171 is actually called a VF-117 - if you go frame by frame when they show the scout being destroyed on the tactical screen, it shows this.

Also the Ghosts are identified as AIF7S.

Sweet episode cant wait for more!!

After viewing the episode:

I think the VF-171 is actually called a VF-117 - if you go frame by frame when they show the scout being destroyed on the tactical screen, it shows this.

Also the Ghosts are identified as AIF7S.

Sweet episode cant wait for more!!

VF-117 would sort of make sense I guess given the relation to the F-117 Nighthawk.

One instance of 117 does not make the "171" -> "117." every other time you see on the fighter it shows the numbers 171. The writing you saw on the computer projection was merely an error, or perhaps the 117th fighter commissioned in the Frontier forces.

But why would every "VF-171" have its name painted on it??? I think it stands for their fighter group (such as Variable Fighter Group 171) not the actual fighter designation. The VF-25 doesn't have VF-25 painted on it - it has SMS007.

Edited by oneal_cj

As it says VF-171 on the side of the fighters in big bold letters, plus two Japanese magazines have already published the name as being VF-171, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the name of the fighter is indeed VF-171.

Graham

Gee boss, but the evidence is so compelling...I think I'll put my collection on the "117".... :p:lol:

Edited by kensei