Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

THIS SUNDAY, its allready that time, I thought it didnt come out till april, NOW THE BIG QUESTION WHICH SITE DO WE GO TO DOWNLOAD THE TORRENT, SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME

Deadghost, just a note... the series does start in April!

This weekend only the special and the 1st episode will be aired. It will be tough to wait FOUR more months for the actual broadcast start :(

I wouldn't go so far as to compare them to the mercenaries in Iraq, however in the most simplistic terms that is what they are: mercenaries.

However from a Japanese point of view they could actually be more like the JSF which is a military set up like a volunteer public service branch (if I remember correctly). It's a civil servant job not contractual servitude to the military like it is in the West.

It is entirely possible that this was intentional to demonstrate the differences between the JSF and modern Western militaries, through the differences between the SMS and Spacy.

Just a theory of course.

I am wondering if they are going to tie the games in closer to the anime canon of the show with this series, by drawing from what was established in the games and importing elements into the new series?

But that doesn't work. If it were a "civil servant job", they'd still be working for the UNS. And when has service in the UNS ever been anything but volunteer? I've never seen any mention of drafting in Macross, even during Space War I. And we may have seen atleast two different groups so far, the "SMS" and "S".

I'm going with private military contractors until I hear otherwise. I guess we shall see.

Edited by Duke Togo

I wouldn't go so far as to compare them to the mercenaries in Iraq, however in the most simplistic terms that is what they are: mercenaries.

However from a Japanese point of view they could actually be more like the JSF which is a military set up like a volunteer public service branch (if I remember correctly). It's a civil servant job not contractual servitude to the military like it is in the West.

It is entirely possible that this was intentional to demonstrate the differences between the JSF and modern Western militaries, through the differences between the SMS and Spacy.

Just a theory of course.

I am wondering if they are going to tie the games in closer to the anime canon of the show with this series, by drawing from what was established in the games and importing elements into the new series?

I hope so, be nice to see some of the game ships and mecha make it into some real anime finally, that and I really want some line art of the Algenicus.

Let me repeat myself and the article so that certain morons can shut up.

The Macross 25th Anniversary Special program that was announced earlier this month will air in Japan on December 23 at 26:50 (effectively 2:50 a.m. the next day) on the Kansai region's MBS station, and on December 28 at 25:15 (1:15 a.m. the next day) on the Tokyo area's TBS station. The one-hour special will include a retrospective of previous Macross projects and a special compilation of clips from the first episode of Macross Frontier. This will be the first new Macross animation footage to premiere on television in over 12 years.

So who in Hong Kong will be selling Region 1 DVD's of the 25th Anniversary Special?

Prolly no one, it's a TV special.

I expect to see it on torrents or stage six first, however Stage 6 still doesn't have the second commercial for the series... <_<

The Macross 25th Anniversary Special program that was announced earlier this month will air in Japan on December 23 at 26:50 (effectively 2:50 a.m. the next day) on the Kansai region's MBS station, and on December 28 at 25:15 (1:15 a.m. the next day) on the Tokyo area's TBS station. The one-hour special will include a retrospective of previous Macross projects and a special compilation of clips from the first episode of Macross Frontier. This will be the first new Macross animation footage to premiere on television in over 12 years.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dec. 23, TBS, 2:50AM

Dec. 28, MBS, 1:15AM

http://www.macrossf.com/news.html

Is this usual in Japan? Those seem like some crazy times to be airing this stuff.

They probably expect a low viewer turn-out because it is a special. I don't expect the kids to watch it so that rules them out. Like hell anybody is gonna put that on at primetime hours, so forget 7-11PM (that's ratings suicide). So that leaves late night. :)

Quite happy with the amount of publicity Frontier is getting so far with the preview movies, various websites, magazine articles and the upcoming Shonen Ace manga, which should all help boost popularity of the series. I think Big West has finally woken up to the fact that they do need to promote Macross more.

Graham

I'm wondering are the bugs (alien life forms) we have seen so far, just the first wave and perhaps later we might see more advanced 'second wave 'humanoid enemies.

Graham

hey, that's a really good question Graham... or maybe its bugs first, birdhumans second...

inbit was teh cool. Totally hope we get humanoid form enemies as well.

Weren't those guys that had insects first and then humanoid guys the enemies in Tekkaman Blade?

I would certainly like to see a humanoid leader class for the insect creatures to enable communication and drama between the colony fleet and the insects as in SDF Macross and Macross 7 the big end theme was making the enemies change their point of view.

Weren't those guys that had insects first and then humanoid guys the enemies in Tekkaman Blade?

I would certainly like to see a humanoid leader class for the insect creatures to enable communication and drama between the colony fleet and the insects as in SDF Macross and Macross 7 the big end theme was making the enemies change their point of view.

Nope, those were Radam, Inbit were Mospeada.

I'm wondering are the bugs (alien life forms) we have seen so far, just the first wave and perhaps later we might see more advanced 'second wave 'humanoid enemies.

Graham

The second wave of enemies is going to consist of humanoid lumberjacks. The insects and lumberjacks will be working together to destroy all the trees in the Macross fleet. It's going to be up to the Private Military Force to show the insects and lumberjacks that trees are our friends. Kawamori's gotta tie nature into the story somehow. :lol:

[Grammar Nazi] General note to all: Can we please not use teen net-slang phrases such as "teh cool", "Teh roxxor" etc, on the Macrossworld forums. [/Grammar Nazi]

Certain standards are to be maintained here and repeat offenders will be tarred and feathered before being banished to the Row-Boat-Tech forums! B))

Graham

I was referring to the use of the phrase "teh cool" in a recent post.

Anyway, back on topic, I would say there is a very high probablity that the VF-25 has traditional VF-1 type swing wings in Fighter & Gerwalk modes, but not in Battroid mode.

I'm dying to see a pic of the back of the battroid though, as the wings seem to fold differently to any other battroid, i.e. instead of folding flat against the back like on the VF-1, VF-0, VF-17 & VF-5000, they seem to sit at a 90 degree angle to the back.

Graham

VF-9 has an amazingly complex wing transformation, seeing as how they form the chest... (took me a while to figure it out, even booted up M3 and just sat there a while, switching from one mode to another, watching) IMHO the VF-9 has the most unique transformation of any valk. I mean, it's not even symmetrical.

what so special about the swing wing on the VF-25??, most of all Macross VF have a swing wing design as part of their tranformation method

I was specifically talking about in fighter mode. Was wondering if Graham or anyone else had seen anything with the VF-25's wings swept back in what I guess would be normal atmospheric conditions.

Anyway, back on topic, I would say there is a very high probablity that the VF-25 has traditional VF-1 type swing wings in Fighter & Gerwalk modes, but not in Battroid mode.

I'm dying to see a pic of the back of the battroid though, as the wings seem to fold differently to any other battroid, i.e. instead of folding flat against the back like on the VF-1, VF-0, VF-17 & VF-5000, they seem to sit at a 90 degree angle to the back.

You sure about this? From the photos it looked almost like a carbon copy of the wings from the VF-11, just narrower in profile so they sit back flat against the shoulders & torso when in battroid mode. Mind linking a photo that shows this "90 degree angle" you're talking about?

Edit: After looking at the photos some more, I think I see what you're suspecting - it looks like there may be a hinge joint just inboard of the wing swivel which would enable the wing to fold back, very similar to the overall wing design for the Metal Siren in Macross II (back and down like Tinkerbell wings) and similar in structure to the wing joints in the SV-51 or YF-21. I'm not sure if this is really the case or not, since all we have to go on is that slow-motion transformation clip to go on and in that clip the wings don't really do anything but fold down VF-11 style. I think they'd make more of a point of them folding back during mid-transformation if it was an intended function.

Edited by Dio

Edit: After looking at the photos some more, I think I see what you're suspecting - it looks like there may be a hinge joint just inboard of the wing swivel which would enable the wing to fold back, very similar to the overall wing design for the Metal Siren in Macross II (back and down like Tinkerbell wings) and similar in structure to the wing joints in the SV-51 or YF-21. I'm not sure if this is really the case or not, since all we have to go on is that slow-motion transformation clip to go on and in that clip the wings don't really do anything but fold down VF-11 style. I think they'd make more of a point of them folding back during mid-transformation if it was an intended function.

I don't think it even has wing hinge joint like the SV-51 or YF-21/VF-22. It just swings back like the Metal Siren. Judging by the pre-production sketches, it appears that this may have always been the case.

VF-9 has an amazingly complex wing transformation, seeing as how they form the chest... (took me a while to figure it out, even booted up M3 and just sat there a while, switching from one mode to another, watching) IMHO the VF-9 has the most unique transformation of any valk. I mean, it's not even symmetrical.

I've always felt the VF-9's transformation sequence was the most awkward and unruly of all the sequences conjured up by SK. I swear, in a combat situation the VF-9 would be cannon fodder because of how long it would take to transform as well as how vulnerable it would be during that time.

Definitely one of those "Designed the fighter before the battroid" situations... The fighter is beautiful, the battroid looks like it was "literally" built with lego! :blink:

Maybe it gave him the inspiration to start using lego... :p