Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

VF-19S and VF-17s rock even more. I have no doubt that it will be a future project in the long run.

I forgot about the VF-17 stealth bombers .... bring 'em on Yamato!!!

AFTER the VF-11B of course!

B))

I think detachable limbs would cause more problems than it would solve. Though u raise a good point; what else is the 21 going to come with? It doesnt even have a gunpod! Its just the fighter and a pilot!

That said, it'd be the biggest valk in the 1/60 line wouldnt it? Its a much wider bird than the 19 and zero...

Actually he does ram it. He shoots at it with lasers after jettisoning the limbs, which is an mistake they made since the lasers are located in the arms he jettisoned. :p

But aren't the lasers only usable in battroid/gerwalk mode, and even if in fighter mode it can only fire the rear? Anyway the "high mobility mode" or whatever it was called in the D'stance kit would be interesting to have, but I'd prefer if if they didn't. Imagine ppl here battying about hands and legs popping off in battroid mode or a locking mechanism that breaks after a few transformations. :rolleyes:

But aren't the lasers only usable in battroid/gerwalk mode, and even if in fighter mode it can only fire the rear? Anyway the "high mobility mode" or whatever it was called in the D'stance kit would be interesting to have, but I'd prefer if if they didn't.

Are you crazy? High speed mode is a must have. It's actually do-able unlike the 19. If they can do the giraffe head on the 51 they can do high speed mode on the 21. Tail fins just fold up against the engines and the wings bend down about 45 degrees. That's easy.

I'd buy it if I could afford it. *sobs*

so how long until this gets released ? I need to save up too.

ah..... 1st quarter 2008 . ok B))

Edited by Macross73

But aren't the lasers only usable in battroid/gerwalk mode, and even if in fighter mode it can only fire the rear?

Nope, it can fire forward. If you watch episode 2 when the 19 and 21 are doing test exercises, there's a scene where the 19 and 21 swoop down on ground targets at night while firing with gunpods and lasers (which appear as purple). I think the 21 also takes a laser shot at the 19 in episode 4 in the middle of the city, just after they smash the windows with their sonic booms, but I'm not positive on that.

Nope, it can fire forward. If you watch episode 2 when the 19 and 21 are doing test exercises, there's a scene where the 19 and 21 swoop down on ground targets at night while firing with gunpods and lasers (which appear as purple). I think the 21 also takes a laser shot at the 19 in episode 4 in the middle of the city, just after they smash the windows with their sonic booms, but I'm not positive on that.

Yup, the compendium states that the lasers have dual ports.

Thanks for the clarification on the lasers. Damn Yamato designs making us confused. XD

Vin:

Are you crazy? High speed mode is a must have. It's actually do-able unlike the 19. If they can do the giraffe head on the 51 they can do high speed mode on the 21. Tail fins just fold up against the engines and the wings bend down about 45 degrees. That's easy.

I was referring to the detachment of hands and legs. Refer to ignacio's images (below my post) for reference.

Scream Man:

I think detachable limbs would cause more problems than it would solve. Though u raise a good point; what else is the 21 going to come with? It doesnt even have a gunpod! Its just the fighter and a pilot!

According to the compendium, it has gunpods and hardpoints for it in fighter mode, althought the 1/72 toy doesn't reflect this. Don't think you can see them in fighter mode in the macross plus anime though.....but i remmeber there was a scene which i think was the target practice scene, where it showed the 21 with its gunpod in battroid mode.

Great news. I don't like my yf-21 1/72 in battroid mode because of the weight of the diecast legs.

I wonder how this thing will balance in GERWALK mode? I remember when I first got the 1/72 how nervous I was to leave it standing up in that mode because a slght wobble would send it toppling over.

Hopefully yamato find a way to make nice and tight ratcheted joints for the limbs and generally tight hands too. (but not at the expense of making them so tight it ends up cracking something - they should be safe to transform)

I'm going to be looking forward to see what non-canon 21 they can do. I would love a "stealth" (ie black) yf-21 in a scheme similar to the vf-22 that gamlin used. (it's ok if the head has the yf-21 style: I actually think it makes the battroid seem more alien like compared to the vf-22.)

Oh yeah: don't bother making two releases where one comes without gunpods. I will only buy the release with the dual gunpods. Don't know why the original 1/72 yf-21 toy was missing them, but it was a pretty silly idea to do it. I think it would be fair to just allow fighter + FP this time as the standard issue given how simple the FP parts are on the 21 compared to the chunky VF-1 FP parts.

So looking forward to this. I have yet to buy my yf-19 w fold booster still. I think a good accessory for yf-21 (if they decide to do one that isn't a fold booster) might be the test drones that Guld shoots with his wrist lasers in the anime. It has nothing to do with the fighter itself but it is part of an image we all remember from when Guld gets to show off in front of Isamu at how flashy he can be with the yf-21 and kill those drones with so much ease and lack of the need for hard work by relying on the brain wave controls. :D

The accessory for the vf-11 would be easy of course: the atmospheric boosters isamu used which detached while he was trying to dodge those dummy micromissile swarms in order to show he could do the same tricks that Guld could do, but with a crapper plane. (and ends up failing.) :D

The Ghost X-9 could come packaged with the test drones guld shot down and have the Guld FAST packs in there too. (that is if they decide to go the route of seperating the FAST pack parts from the standalone toy.

So for yf-21 they could have:

1. standalone (includes the dual gunpods but no FP parts)

2. YF-21 with FP + ghost-X9 + test drone thing

or just:

1. YF-21 with dual gunpods and FP

2. ghost x-9 + two test drones (which has nothing to do with the yf-21)

or

1. yf-21 dual gunpods and FP

2. fold booster (but this is boring since it never showed up in the anime on the 21) + Dyson's YF-19 gunpod which guld loaded with ammo with intention to kill dyson in the episode where the two of them are in a one on one battroid brawl. :D heh

Edit: also give us some cool fixed pose hands. This would make up for the lack of missiles and stuff. One thing I want to do is have the yf-21 hold dual gunpods with hands that don't drop them easy. Maybe have an articulated wrist. (make up for no articulation in the neck :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I really have no idea why ya'll want a YF-21 that looks like a jet without jet engines. :mellow:

Thats because the main jet engines are in the back compartment of the YF-21...not the legs. This improves the YF-21s movements in Battroid mode.

Thats because the main jet engines are in the back compartment of the YF-21...not the legs. This improves the YF-21s movements in Battroid mode.

True, but in the pic that ignacio posted, there's still a huge gap between the intakes and the exhausts and I'm pretty sure that's where the engine is supposed to go. So to me, it looks like a jet that's missing its engines. ^_^

That fact that they didn't show a front view or side view is a pain in the butt. Being able to see how the arms disappear in fighter would have been interesting. They screwed that up on the 1/72.

meh. Yamato did a great job with the yf-19 and it looks like they did an incredible job with the SV-51, I'm not too worried.

The YF-21 without arms and legs looks to slim in fighter mode. Whether or not Yamato builds it with detachable limbs doesn't bother me a lot. As long as the fighter and battroid modes look as spot on as possible, I'll be satisfied.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Lonewolf

Detachable limbs are absolutely necessary for the YF-21. Not as any real world design issue to make the toy more perfectly transformable. It's just a feature that's needed to recrate the action of the anime and the line art variant. The legs and arms are blown off in Guld's fight with the X-9 Ghost, like the pictures that Ignacio Ocamica posted. Please Yamato, you've got to include this feature! :)

I believe the "belly covers" were jettisoned with the limbs. Seeing as the "belly covers" were attached to the legs and not the hips.

I thought they stayed on through the marvel of anime magic. I re-watched the scene in ep4 in slow mo, and I can't see a good shot of the underside. Maybe the movie version shows it better. I don't have a copy of it.

On page 88 of Macross Design Works, there's some line art of the yf-21 sans limbs and belly plates. there's a bunch plate like shutters that close along the exposed under carriage, giving it a smoother look, but the belly plates definitely go along with the limbs.

IMO, unless yamato is going to be able to model those plates, I have no interest in the limbs popping off.

I thought they stayed on through the marvel of anime magic. I re-watched the scene in ep4 in slow mo, and I can't see a good shot of the underside. Maybe the movie version shows it better. I don't have a copy of it.

The movie version slows it way down and also shows the 21 jettison the limbs; i'll pull it off of the shelf and take a look at it when i get home to see if he still has his vertical stabilizers which are part of the arms and also to see if he still has the belly covers which are part of the hips/legs. From memory i think he might have kept the upper hip area for the belly covers but dumped everything from the thigh below.

The movie version slows it way down and also shows the 21 jettison the limbs; i'll pull it off of the shelf and take a look at it when i get home to see if he still has his vertical stabilizers which are part of the arms and also to see if he still has the belly covers which are part of the hips/legs. From memory i think he might have kept the upper hip area for the belly covers but dumped everything from the thigh below.

tail fins go and hips go.

The entire underside and sides of the fuselage are gone. The "shutters" are not part of the limbless mode nor intended to smooth out the area---they are the vanes for deflecting the engine thrust in GERWALK mode and are always present. They are merely exposed by the loss of the belly.

The YF-21 has an intake/nacelle configuration very similar to the YF-23, with the intake trunking angling upwards as you go in, thus the loss of the belly doesn't interrupt airflow to the engines, as the intake trunking stays near the top of the fuselage. (With the shutters forming the underside of the intake trunking---more properly I think they'd be called louvers, but they act as vanes/deflectors)