Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

Well, I can think of a few reasons, extra stress on the already thin limbs being the main reason. But again, I'm not against it, I'm just at a loss why so many people are so fixated on it. To each their own, personally I think the yf-21 looks damn sad, like a gutted fish without its limbs so I have little to no interest in the gimmick.

I think people are fixated on it because it occures just before a very memorable scene. Would it really change the look of the fighter that much? as I could never see myself displaying it without its arms in battroid mode.

I think people are fixated on it because it occures just before a very memorable scene. Would it really change the look of the fighter that much? as I could never see myself displaying it without its arms in battroid mode.

yeah, it changes it a lot. one, the tail fins are gone, since they're mounted on the arms. And the belly is scooped out. It's not like the limbless yf-21 fighter is all sleek and sex looking, it looks down right wonky.

It's not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say it's pretty odd if you don't expect fans to call for the feature. Like I said, when it comes to Japanese toy manufacturers, that's just the sort of gimmick they're known for including. Completely unnecessary and of very limited use, but anime correct. I'd say there's a good chance it will actually be implemented, for better or worse.

Nah, we should forget about the limiter/detachable limbs feature. It's not that it's not doable, it's just that as ambitious as Yamato would like to portray themselves, Yamato seriously lack that all important acquiesce or brain power to use suitable materials for such feature.

No use wanting something like that now, then b1tch and moan when the joints break or project undesirable stressmarks from gentle transformation later. As with their previous releases, this will CERTAINLY happen on their 1st release, and it might or might not be resolved with their subsequent reissues; usually not resolved. We would certainly benefit better if we don't throw rocket science problems to Yamato.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the gunpod stowage (in regular fighter mode) and the Fast Packs than the detachable limbs feature.

Especially if the detachable feature somehow limits or hinders how poseable the YF-21 can truly be.

Just my own personal 2 cents. ;)

It's not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say it's pretty odd if you don't expect fans to call for the feature. Like I said, when it comes to Japanese toy manufacturers, that's just the sort of gimmick they're known for including. Completely unnecessary and of very limited use, but anime correct. I'd say there's a good chance it will actually be implemented, for better or worse.

meh, I don't think so. There are far easier gimmicks that yamato will probably do, like the removable face plate. Given the amount of flak yamato has gotten due to the garland and the vf-0, I really doubt they would want to try their luck.

Im with Eugi; It doesnt seem worth the hassle to me. As ive said; To many problems for too little reward. And much as i hate to agree with BoB, he's right about Yamato probably npot being able to do it very well.

I like the idea of little missle ports and maybe a removable faceplate, but frankly Ill just be happy if it transforms.

Well, I can think of a few reasons, extra stress on the already thin limbs being the main reason. But again, I'm not against it, I'm just at a loss why so many people are so fixated on it. To each their own, personally I think the yf-21 looks damn sad, like a gutted fish without its limbs so I have little to no interest in the gimmick.

I'm hoping that the legs and arms will be chunkier. I like mecha which are more robust, especially since the YF-21 seems to have such a fat body (an illusion partially contributed to by the folded up wings).

And yes, contributing the space to a storable gunpod would be a better idea, as well as internal missile pallets, even if they area not removable and are simply part of a sculpt, much like the VF-1 FAST Packs. If people will want detachable limbs, they will also want damaged arms which are also charred and blackened.

Edited by kensei

yeah, I'm hoping for decent sized feet. I always thought the 1/72 toy looked like it was the victim of chinese foot wrapping. And the tiny little feet did nothing for posability.

hmmmm... now I'm wondering if the yf-21 will come with a stand like the sv-51?

Oh! How about a special edition set like the Strike Freedom and the Destiny MGs, a 1st edition with a stand that is built to hold BOTH the YF-19 and the 21 together and also with FAST Packs for the 21 included! As for the Fold Booster, maybe it won't be such a worry as it was not shown (but definitely used) in the anime. Also, two pair of covers for the fists in a green-yellow transparent plastic, for the PPB Punch!

Edited by kensei

Gunpod storage would probably be like missile hardpoints on the belly of the plane, and probably won't jive very well with the whole contour of the valk. I don't think i saw a line art or any source that shows the gunpods in fighter mode. Or perhaps someone already posted this on this thread?

the two gunpods get stowed on the belly plates, directly following the little triangular thingie... I'd post a picture but I have no scanner. I'd rather yamato used magnets rather than those little wing hardpoints.

Kensei - that's a pretty cool idea, I wouldn't mind a dual stand, as long as it had some flexibility in how you could pose them. Or... a two stands that connect?

the two gunpods get stowed on the belly plates, directly following the little triangular thingie... I'd post a picture but I have no scanner. I'd rather yamato used magnets rather than those little wing hardpoints.

Kensei - that's a pretty cool idea, I wouldn't mind a dual stand, as long as it had some flexibility in how you could pose them. Or... a two stands that connect?

I'd rather Yamato used magnets at several points if that were the case, and I would rather the Gunpod be semi-recessed for it to be more secure.

I cannot visualise where the gunpod goes when the YF-21 is without FAST Packs. Perhaps you have a camera instead of a scanner eugimon?

Edited by kensei

sorry for the crap lighting.

1. no fast pack, no gunpods:

P1000235.jpg

2. no fast pack, with gunpods:

P1000234.jpg

3. with fast packs, with gunpods:

P1000236.jpg

4: just the guns:

P1000237.jpg

they look like they just hang there. and yeah, I'd want to magnets per gun. but looking at the design of the gun, the upper part looks like it would have a "v" shaped trough along the top where it mates up with the belly plates.

Edited by eugimon

Geez I didn't expect you to go through the trouble straight away.

Cheers Big Ears! :D

I'm guessing that the Yf-21 will have a movable face plate, like the Q-Rau. It's more like the Q-Rau in more than one way.

Edited by kensei

Thanks for the pics, eugy. ;)

Yeap seems like the place where the gunpods attach to the bottom of the fighter have to be curved in contour with the gunpods if its gonna be magnets. But i dunno, i thinnk i prefer plastic nubs for it to be more secure. For strong magnets, they should use those on the old Starcom toys. Magna-lock, ON! :lol:

I can't imagine how the gunpods are removable without removing the whole faspack though. Probably should have something like a "Robocop handgun holster" which opens and closes for the gunpods to be accesible in battroid mode.

Put it this way, if the detachable limbs work but still manage to keep the poses nice and tight and upright, I'm all for it. If it turns into a pile of scrap that can't even lean on all fours, then forget it. Yes the feature is cool, but I'm just worried that it will compromise the design.

lol... you and me are self confessed multiple buyers of the YF-21 when it comes... I'll sacrifice one just to have the mode to

pose "indeffinently."

It's canon, and the way he maneouvers (or try's to regain control? lol) is so fricken cool.

Guld/YF-21's like fruhh! fruhh furh fruh fruh fruhhh! (sound effect) all over the place! Seriously COOL.

Like someone mentioned, in the YF-21 Fold Booster pack (or if we are unlucky the Fastpack+Fold pack) they could include

damaged arms (accessory for the YF-19 lovers to bash the YF-21 with!), and burnt off colour ones and so on. It's a thought!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Thanks for the pics, eugy. ;)

Yeap seems like the place where the gunpods attach to the bottom of the fighter have to be curved in contour with the gunpods if its gonna be magnets. But i dunno, i thinnk i prefer plastic nubs for it to be more secure. For strong magnets, they should use those on the old Starcom toys. Magna-lock, ON! :lol:

I can't imagine how the gunpods are removable without removing the whole faspack though. Probably should have something like a "Robocop handgun holster" which opens and closes for the gunpods to be accesible in battroid mode.

Starcom... starcom... Were they those little figures with magnets attached to their feet???

I like found my little starcom figure the other day! No visor, but still the magnets are super strong even today!

I'll take a pic later. Lol you re-jogged my memory, i was trying to figure out what they were called!

I got the Major i think, can't remember his name...

You're not the only one who's excited about this release.

I'm gonna have so much trouble deciding what mode to pose my YF-19 and Yf-21 in.

I'm stuck between a chase scene in fightermode or a fistfight scene in battroid, both using the flexistands of course.

ruskiiVFaussie Posted Today, 01:42 AM

QUOTE(Hayabusa @ Aug 1 2007, 09:57 PM)

Hayabusa

Thankyou Hayabusa! Welcome to our madness.

Look at this pic... isn't that the sh^t. YF-21 is bad ass. So excited!!!!!

Thanks RuskiiVFaussie! Just like that 1/72 resin model, that YF-21 has detacheble limbs that can both transform with the legs on very sturdy and without in fighter mode. Yes and I've just added to the madness lol!

Thanks for those pictures Eugimon! I also wanted to make a point in my first post as to how the gunpods are attached to the fighter for both models. One with a fastpack and one without.

Kensei

And yes, contributing the space to a storable gunpod would be a better idea, as well as internal missile pallets, even if they area not removable and are simply part of a sculpt, much like the VF-1 FAST Packs. If people will want detachable limbs, they will also want damaged arms which are also charred and blackened.

AH~! Thank you for agreeing! :lol:

Then again, another reason why detacheable limbs is a very cool thing is because you can display your YF-21 like it is in for a maintenance. I'm sure for all you aviation mechanics/buffs and crew chiefs, you know how a fighter plane looks like if you remove the engine for an overhaul/100HR maintenance right? It looks just like that picture I posted earlier. It gives the bird a nice gap/emptiness, yet a very cool feel to it. And then again you can display/play with the bird as if it was fighting the X-9 or just to pose it like its under maintenance.

Only problem I see with this is how Yamato will pull off the fast packs. I really want my YF-21 to mount both guns under the fuselage without the fastpacks and mount both guns with the fastpack on and including the small little gun port to open up like in M+ when Guld fired off a few shots at Isamu. And finally to have the fastpack to open up to allow the YF-21 in battroid to remove the gun pods with more sense...Instead of our 1/72 YF-21 FP set which you HAD to remove the FP from the fusealge to remove the gun pod and what's left where the gun pod was? It was a nice big hole shaped like a Gun pod! So if we can see if Yamato can make a sliding port cover for the FP to replace the gun pod that is in use, that will be perfect.

Then again the other thing I find it hard is that infamous high speed mode the YF-21 pulls off with anime magic on the wing warp. I can see it is possible to sorta make that wing warp effect if the wings had layers of flap-like-wing sheets on each other so the wing can open out or open downward like the fowler flaps on 747s during T/O or landing. So that way we don't have to worry about wing segments that fold down making those spaces in between the wing joints, but rather a layer of fowler flap like mechanisms to smooth out the wing to bend downward and swept forward wings. Good idea right?

Edited by Hayabusa

Wait a minute, I could have sworn as just the figher it self if doesn't have gun pods. The gun pods were part of the fast pack so unless it is the VF-22 the gun pods wouldn't actually be stored on the normal fighter version of the craft. The main weapons in Battriod mode were the guns located right above the hands, but then i could be wrong but if you look at the Design Works book it clearly shows no gun pods on the figher.

meh, I don't think so. There are far easier gimmicks that yamato will probably do, like the removable face plate. Given the amount of flak yamato has gotten due to the garland and the vf-0, I really doubt they would want to try their luck.

Hehehe, I suppose you're right. This is Yamato we're talking about :)

Aw crap. I guess I'm a little too late for pics. Oh well, the new update is coming soon and has all the big clean pictures of YF-21 line art you could hope for :)

yeah yeah, you and your scanner, showing up me and my camera and crap lighting. :p

Aw crap. I guess I'm a little too late for pics. Oh well, the new update is coming soon and has all the big clean pictures of YF-21 line art you could hope for :)

Can't wait to see it.

Can't wait for this obviously, as the 1/72 YF-21 FP is one of my favorite valks, right with my Low-Viz. I haven't gotten a YF-19 yet (was actually hoping for a Ravens VF-19A actually). I hope we get the optional VF-22S face and cockpit like Graham had posted as a possibility for the 1/72. I will not likely be able to resist getting a Gulk YF-21FP but would be dreaming of a Ravens, if not a Max or Gamlin VF-22S.

I really hope Yamato forges new ground and does a 1/60 VF-17, though, before the 11B and 11C!

yeah, bring on the vf-11 and all the accessories, yamato can milk that for a long time.

True and use the time milking it to prefect the molds and materials for the rest. . .

(VF-17, VF-5000, VF-4 etc, etc, . . . . .)

VF-11B before any other new valks. I am even going to have to say, VF-11B before a VF-4. :p Oh man, just thinking about the M+ 11B with fast packs... :D It's the only valkyrie I think looks really really good with fast packs and without.

But, I'm there with you on wanting a VF-17 uxi. ;) That and a Ravens VF-22S...

Maybe Yamato could include an alternate canopy, alternate belly plates, and an alternate face to switch from 21 to 22. I doubt it though. :p And to be honest I'd rather have them be seperate releases so we can get appropriate tampo printing on them. :)