Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

The engine hang in battroid mode looks about as perfect as anyone could make it looking at that second CAD picture (thanks a bunch David H!) That battroid mode looks solid. I think the nose hang and the engine hang are going to look really good. This looks great so far.

Sumdumgai--you've never had a YF-21 toy or kit? They all move the engine nacelles--it's a required part of the transformation. If they didn't, the engine nozzles would be next to the feet in battroid mode---if not projecting beyond.

Anyways---better pic of battroid mode CAD here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=11...1433&size=o

People are welcome to try to and photoshop out the Sv-51 in front of it.

Damn you Air Force computer system for not letting me see this, damn you....

David- nope never had a YF-21 toy or kit. Never went out and got a kit since I realized I wouldn't be able to repeatedly play with a kit. I never got the 1/72 YF-21 because I was hoping that one day Yamato would come back and redo it. :) My patience has paid off.

The engine hang in battroid mode looks about as perfect as anyone could make it looking at that second CAD picture (thanks a bunch David H!) That battroid mode looks solid. I think the nose hang and the engine hang are going to look really good. This looks great so far.

I'm also really liking the shape of the head cowl. A lot of the kitbashes around do an awful job of this feature and I'm glad to see yamato is continuing to be faithful to the line art.

This is the best I could do within the given time. I didn't dare to eliminate the silouette of the SV-51 to avoid falling in speculation.

Anyway behold the new Dark Monk!

Edit: The head isn't visible from the side and the vectorial nacelles could be a little higher, but looks better than I first thought.

post-1636-1187036666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Looks great, but some things that I've noticed.

I noticed that the Shoulders are not round... -=X

It seems like the bay covers will be interlocking with each other via those six tabs (three on the top and the three on the bottom). Those (that?) notches on the bottom of the bay doors look like the guns maybe attached via tabs and not magnets. Hmm... They could be both. I think tabs would've been the the preferred method for Yamato since it would be cheaper than buying a mass of magnets.

The wings seem like they might fold up in a similar method as the SV-51, but maybe w/o the pins; rather with a double jointed hinge that slides into the main section of the back.

And the feet do look a bit small. XD

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Ok, just some terminology:

The blue part is the nacelle, the red part is the nozzle. As for the 3 moving parts of each nozzle---never found a definitive term AFAIK. I'd suggest petals or paddles, or even "nozzle flap".

Ok guys... I couldn't resist. Here's my guess as to what the side view will look like. I arrived at it using a very scientific method... :p

I traced the battroid CAD image into my CAD software, reoriented all the parts until they fit together, and then filled in the blanks. I then aligned the now-assembled side-view with the top-view, and tweaked until it all lined up correctly, length-wise. It aligned with the top view pretty much at every major point, which is promising.

Everything's color-coded, green is 100% authentic trace-from-image, while red is "just guessing."

I've got to say, it looks pretty sleek. If it looks this good, that's going to be one incredible YF-21. :D

I do have one question, though. HOW do the arms get that short in battroid? They practically double in length, when it goes to fighter mode! :blink:

~Luke

Edit: Oops, messed up on shoulder pivot point. New image.

post-3133-1187051752_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

They are color resin cast models that come preassembled. From my understanding they go for 35,000 Yen and are exclusive only for the WF convention.

@Luke...

Most likely the arm will stretch out like the old 1/72 YF-21.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Hence why they might include a stand as they did with the SV-51. I'm sure i can work out some cool pose with the limited

foot movement... Same as the 1/60 Q-Rau, but atleast with the 21 they will have a good hip/knee movement! :D

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

what I really dislike about the 21 is that the feet don't have a movable heel. So posing is always an issue. Based on the image, I'm guessing they aren't going to add one. :( Otherwise looking good!

vinnie

Uhh...the heels do move. At least they are movable, based on the 1/72, the heels fold in with the feet just like every traditional valkyrie so it can be stored under the engine backpack in fighter mode. The real problem is because the feet are so small, the joint for the ankle has to be some super strong rachet joint so it can support the weight of the whole 21 in battroid mode. I won't be expecting some dynamic posing with the 21 though.

I do have one question, though. HOW do the arms get that short in battroid? They practically double in length, when it goes to fighter mode! :blink:

~Luke

This is simple if the shoulder is attached to the back section of the battroid not to the intakes. so in fighter mode, the forearm is at the right place.

I do have one question, though. HOW do the arms get that short in battroid? They practically double in length, when it goes to fighter mode!

On all the other transforming toys so far, the forearm works much like tugging down a jacket's cuff and sleeve---to go from battroid to fighter you just slide it down over the wrist and hand, thus moving the tailfin out further from the elbow. And with the foream "no longer there" the remaining part of the arm is much skinnier, and fits into the fuselage sides better.

Just to point it out, the line art doesn't show a heel joint either. The foot is always shown in a fixed pose and as one piece. The only articulation it has is in the ankle. The 1/72 had the joint there due to the collapsable leg for transformation.

The CAD shows no heel joint.

Sorry...my bad. Even so, its true to line art.

What are people's concerns on this in terms of poseability? Its not like the movable heels did anything in terms of poseability in the previous releases.

Reposted from page 21's post from Mr March:

yf-21-battroid-rear.gif

It is possible for Yamato to make the YF-21 without a heel joint. I preety much can judge the foot flips 45 degrees at the ankle and stows away in the lower legs. Usually (on gundams...) I see them make certain models with non-moving heels and moving heels so Yamato might make it with a non-moving solid foot (given from Battroid CAD assumption).

Nice tight ankle joint is what is needed. My Q-rau (BWAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA, the one that I finally got after all the mishaps), holds various poses nicely and is able to stand up well despite the heavy upper body... And manages to stay standing despite all the times I accidentally slam my chair into my desk when I get up, or when I slam my knees into the desk while assuming a comfortable sitting position.

I'm actually surprised the Q-rau doesn't tumble. Nice tight ankle, knee, and hip joints will be the key... But not so tight that the parts break because of a mix of abs and pvc plastics, mixed with overly tightly turned screws, and excessive amounts of glue. Yes, I am glaring at you from over the ocean, Chinese factory workers, and Japanese engineers.

What are people's concerns on this in terms of poseability? Its not like the movable heels did anything in terms of poseability in the previous releases.

Reposted from page 21's post from Mr March:

*image*

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well.

Actually, the solid, single-piece foot of the YF-21 might work much better than the VF-1 two-piece toe and heel. When the FAST Packs and the GBP-1S system came along, I found the two-part foot a liability. I'd try to pose the foot on a certain angle only to have the weight collapse the foot back into the standard pose.

The only thing to worry about with this new YF-21 is the tightness of the leg joints, like the ankle (as you've mentioned previously). As long as they use a good system for those, the battroid will handle any pose.

Edited by Mr March

bah...

I so wanted this yf-21 to be kick ass in all modes...

Looking at the significantly tapered down bell bottom legs and the teeny weeny feet of the CAD,

the legs will look more chicken like than the 1/72.

Kinda reminds me of a body builder who focused only on training his upper body.

The swell of the legs happens after the cuff, around the calf. We can't even see it with the belly plate in place. I don't see what all the battying is about when we don't know anything... even about the CAD that we saw.