Is this for real?

Sam

I just got this email forwarded to me with this pic, and this is the attached text to it..

SCARY STUFF!!!

> >

> > They run 10 mph, jump three feet, are a nocturnal spider, so only come out

> > at night unless they are in shade. When they bite you, you are injected

> > with

> > a Novocain type substance so you go numb instantly.

> >

> > You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up

> > with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all

> > night long.

> >

> > If you are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow

> > over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run. It will

> > instantly run for your shadow, and scream the whole time it is chasing

>you.

> >

> > The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are Spiders

>found

> > daily in IRAQ by troops. Imagine waking up and seeing one of these in your

> > tent!!

Is this for real???????????????? I dont know whether to be intrigued or more rightyly, horrified??????????????

Sam

post-26-1084186390_thumb.jpg

Camel SPder I think.

I've heard lots of rumors about them; flesh eaters, numbing venom, not sure how many are actually true though. The running at 10mph and screaming things sounds like BS though.

But a spider that big... yeeeuch. :wacko:

Edited by yellowlightman

They look and sound like wind scorpions. Wind scorpions run real quick but I had no idea there were that huge. I can't be sure though.

Edit: Those things that look like its mandibles are actually its claws...that is if its a wind scorpion.

Edited by wolfx

Well, I thought the ol huntsmen spider I get in my backyard by the zillions was nuff to be freaky, let alone something the size of a small cat!!

Dont know bout u guys, but damn, I would want a SHOTGUN handy if I had those things hanging round, cuz flyspray aint gonna work :(:(:unsure:

Guys....it IS indeed a windscorpion aka Camel Spider. And whatever's in that mail is all just bullshit...except that it runs fast. Who says so? Snopes.com says so.

Article here.

Camel Spider

Hey, thanks for that link mate,

tis funny they referred to them looking like small cat size !LOL!

but if you notice as they were talking bout photo manipulation, you can see the sleeve of the guy holding it actually, so now it doens't look *quite* as big..

but still freaky,

Must,... stop.. looking... at ... freaky... spider.....

STOMP!!!

:p

Camel Spiders(they ARE Whip Scorpions, as someone pointed out) are real.. but they're greatly exaggerated. They can run 8-10 MPH, unlike the 25(!!) mph some claim they can. =P They WILL chase people, though, but not to eat them. They hide in the shade during the day, and will infact hide in the shadow of humans.. and chase that shadow if it starts moving.

I've heard its a sort of hazing activity for the troops in Iraq to get a camel spider into the shadow of someone new and watch the fun that results, but given I heard that on fark.com it could be wrong. c.c

(edited to clarify)

Edited by DarkPhoenix

I heard they have webbing they can deploy between their legs which allows them to take a running leap and fly for short distances, and that they frenzy and swarm once every three months, and the only thing than can stop the swarm from killing everyone in the region is an ancient Sumerian ritual which requires hundreds of liters of goats' blood and a chant taken from one of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and that that ritual is the only thing supporting the Iraqi goat-herding industry.

Well, that's what I heard. :p

I heard they have webbing they can deploy between their legs which allows them to take a running leap and fly for short distances, and that they frenzy and swarm once every three months, and the only thing than can stop the swarm from killing everyone in the region is an ancient Sumerian ritual which requires hundreds of liters of goats' blood and a chant taken from one of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and that that ritual is the only thing supporting the Iraqi goat-herding industry.

Well, that's what I heard. :p

Yeh, I heard the same thing.. :lol::lol::lol:

Can run faster than a speeding bullet, but not a surface to surface missile,

Can jump tall buildings, with a rocket pack strapped to it...

Can fart obnoxious webbing to trap their prey and stink them to death...

* i think i need sleep... but how can i now after seeing this thing*

OH, and Zentran dude, I would rather have it hit my windshield than riding shotgun with me :D:p:lol:

Closer examination - plus a more careful readthrough of the text that follows the picture - states that the image does indeed show two spiders/wind scorpions/unleashed beasties from Hell.

Must make for some interesting radio chatter, though?

"HQ, this is Charlie-Alpha-Whiskey Nine - request fire support, ASAP!"

"Charlie-Alpha-Whiskey-Nine, this is HQ. Have you encountered strong enemy resistance?"

"No, man - we're up against the giant killer desert spiders from Hell! Send in the A-10s, all of them!" :lol:

Napalm Mortein maybe???????????????? :p

How would you be if one of your mates brought one back with him after being there and decided to get it stuffed or something, then shoved it in ur house/bedroom/toilet/shower recess.

Damn near put u through the roof or out the window!

I once was in my room reading and saw a fairly *large* spider on the other side of the inside ceiling. There were plenty of insects near my reading light, and i KNEW that lil bastard would climb over when i turned out the light...

so after a while, turned off my light... couldnt get the sleep cuz my ears were straining... then I heard this *plop* noise, of something landing on the bed covers...

ON FLEW THE LIGHT< UP I FLEW< LOOKED FOR THE BLOODY THING< COULDN"T FIND IT< THREW MY SHEETS OUT THE DOOR< COULDN"T FIND IT< THREW MY MATTRESS OUT THE DOOR>> COULDN"T FIND IT< THREW THE REST OF MY BED OUT THE DOOR< STILL COULNDNT FIND IT>.. by this time my roommate wandered out all bleary eyed wondering what the *fF* I was doing..

STILL COULDN"T FIND IT>...ARGHH>.

to this day I dont know where he went?? maybe hes/shes still out there..??*looks around nervously**

DId I mention I HATE spiders?/?

:blink:

"No, man - we're up against the giant killer desert spiders from Hell! Send in the A-10s, all of them!" :lol:

"Mayday, Mayday, I seem to be caught in some kind of web"

"Einhorn is a man!!!!!" ...wait, that's not right...

:blink: dear god that's disgusting looking thing! I can just see it now, it's not the iraqi resistance, it's the fin camel spiders! One by one things get blown up by our own troops, only to be blamed at iraqi resistance, but in reality,

"Hey grif...." "Hey simmons?" "WHAT THE frakk WAS THAT?!" ".........Camel Spiders......." "You mean those face hugging spiders like from aliens?!" "Yep....." "Oh.......so why did we blow the building up?" "Cause I found one." "So.........you blew up awhole building to kill one spider?" "Yep....only way to make sure they're dead." "........god damn dude......god damn......"

note: I'm not anti war.....it's just......think how stupid it'd really be to admit you blew up a building cause of one evil spider?........I'd do it.......than place the blame on someone else.....only ........I don't see Exo around right now.

Goddam camel spiders. I'm so happy I didn't see one when I went to Kuwait. Egress (me), and Fuel Shop shared the same trailer in one of the hangers in Al Jaber. There was an aquarium by the trailer that some guys would use for camel spider/scorpion fights. They would put one of each in there and watch the spider kick the scorpion's ass.

They are supposed to be a bitch to kill, like the toughest of cockroaches. Need a boot, broom, knife, or BIG book. Whoever that is that's holding those two spiders is a brave, brave man, because it would't take much for those two to decide to pounce on him. I sure as hell wouldn't risk it.

They do have a numbing agent, and nice pincers for teeth. The horror story I heard was one nibbling on a guy's ear while he was asleep and he didn't feel it or notice till he woke up with a spider next to him. Freaked me out there. Another reason why they tell you to shake your shoes out in the morning before putting them on, as well as the scorpion. There are also lots of mice and stuff. In 6 weeks wwe killed 4 mice in our tent with our old-school mousetrap. It was January to March 2000 when I was there, so it wasn't season for the spiders and scorpions yet. Thank god. I hate spiders. I also heard a story about one deciding it didn't like one of the fuel shop guys, chased him a little, he got up on a table, and it was jumping trying to reach him. That may or may not have been exaggerated.

I have also heard stories of them hiding under the sandbags the army has been putting on their tanks. So the guys there have to constantly check the tanks.

Nastiest damn things EVER.

Edited by Anubis

They aren't poisonous, ppl die from the shock of having a piece of their body eaten by those spiders. Nasty little buggers. :blink:\

They are also called shadow stalkers (or something like that) because they can't stand the heat. And if you are walking in the desert and see one of them charge at you is simply because they want to stay in the shadow you are making.

Edited by Abombz!!

They aren't poisonous, ppl die from the shock of having a piece of their body eaten by those spiders. Nasty little buggers. :blink:\

They are also called shadow stalkers (or something like that) because they can't stand the heat. And if you are walking in the desert and see one of them charge at you is simply because they want to stay in the shadow you are making.

I still wouldn't want one as my shadow buddy.

:blink: dear god that's disgusting looking thing! I can just see it now, it's not the iraqi resistance, it's the fin camel spiders! One by one things get blown up by our own troops, only to be blamed at iraqi resistance, but in reality,

"Hey grif...." "Hey simmons?" "WHAT THE frakk WAS THAT?!" ".........Camel Spiders......." "You mean those face hugging spiders like from aliens?!" "Yep....." "Oh.......so why did we blow the building up?" "Cause I found one." "So.........you blew up awhole building to kill one spider?" "Yep....only way to make sure they're dead." "........god damn dude......god damn......"

"...Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!"

:blink: dear god that's disgusting looking thing!  I can just see it now, it's not the iraqi resistance, it's the fin camel spiders!  One by one things get blown up by our own troops, only to be blamed at iraqi resistance, but in reality,

"Hey grif...."  "Hey simmons?"  "WHAT THE frakk WAS THAT?!"  ".........Camel Spiders......."  "You mean those face hugging spiders like from aliens?!"  "Yep....."  "Oh.......so why did we blow the building up?"  "Cause I found one."  "So.........you blew up awhole building to kill one spider?"  "Yep....only way to make sure they're dead."  "........god damn dude......god damn......"

"...Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!"

I second that! Anything that big and fugly needs to be wiped out. And people say that Saddam didn't have weapons of mass destruction. Hell, they're crawling all over the place.

On a second note, I've got an Army buddy who has pictures of these things from when he was over in Kuwait during the first Gulf War. Let me see if I can borrow them from him and I'll post some more pictures. That is if he isn't anal about it...

I can't believe you guys dedicated two pages to the infamous Eurypeima spinicrus aka "Camel Spider" already...

I never saw any live ones while I was deployed to Qatar a few months ago as it hadn't warmed up enough for them and the scorpions to be out yet. I did hear a few exaggerated stories concerning their abilities from other troops who had them as unit "mascots." Yes, they can jump 3 ft straight up in the air...it helps them to to attach themselves to camels and other animals. They are very quick and are attracted to shadows. Until the General Order 1 came down prohibiting troops from keeping them as pets amoung other things, the troops would catch them and make them fight each other or scorpions...one camel spider was said to have taken on two scorpions and kill both in a matter of minutes. They can get to be fairly large...almost the size of dinner plates with all legs extended.

I was able to purchase one and bring it back with me to the US. They sell them mounted/framed at the local BX/PX in some locations for about $20 depening on the size and if the abdomen is connected or not...they usually break away if they dry out too much or not carefully framed. The one I have is about the size of my palm. It's not the largest they had available, but it was the only one with abdomen still connected. I hang it in my office next to the scorpion I bought while I was over there and people can't help but stare at them for a few minutes...great conversation pieces.

I can't believe you guys dedicated two pages to the infamous Eurypeima spinicrus aka "Camel Spider" already...

I never saw any live ones while I was deployed to Qatar a few months ago as it hadn't warmed up enough for them and the scorpions to be out yet. I did hear a few exaggerated stories concerning their abilities from other troops who had them as unit "mascots." Yes, they can jump 3 ft straight up in the air...it helps them to to attach themselves to camels and other animals. They are very quick and are attracted to shadows. Until the General Order 1 came down prohibiting troops from keeping them as pets amoung other things, the troops would catch them and make them fight each other or scorpions...one camel spider was said to have taken on two scorpions and kill both in a matter of minutes. They can get to be fairly large...almost the size of dinner plates with all legs extended.

I was able to purchase one and bring it back with me to the US. They sell them mounted/framed at the local BX/PX in some locations for about $20 depening on the size and if the abdomen is connected or not...they usually break away if they dry out too much or not carefully framed. The one I have is about the size of my palm. It's not the largest they had available, but it was the only one with abdomen still connected. I hang it in my office next to the scorpion I bought while I was over there and people can't help but stare at them for a few minutes...great conversation pieces.

You actually bought one?!? :blink:

Ewwww. No thank you.

I never saw any live ones while I was deployed to Qatar a few months ago as it hadn't warmed up enough for them and the scorpions to be out yet.  I did hear a few exaggerated stories concerning their abilities from other troops who had them as unit "mascots."  Yes, they can jump 3 ft straight up in the air...it helps them to to attach themselves to camels and other animals.  They are very quick and are attracted to shadows.  Until the General Order 1 came down prohibiting troops from keeping them as pets amoung other things, the troops would catch them and make them fight each other or scorpions...one camel spider was said to have taken on two scorpions and kill both in a matter of minutes.  They can get to be fairly large...almost the size of dinner plates with all legs extended.

I was able to purchase one and bring it back with me to the US.  They sell them mounted/framed at the local BX/PX in some locations for about $20 depening on the size and if the abdomen is connected or not...they usually break away if they dry out too much or not carefully framed.  The one I have is about the size of my palm.  It's not the largest they had available, but it was the only one with abdomen still connected.  I hang it in my office next to the scorpion I bought while I was over there and people can't help but stare at them for a few minutes...great conversation pieces.

Palm sized? Man I have spiders larger than that in my backyard :p:rolleyes: Hey isn't there a spider in africa that's supposedly 2 feet in diameter when fully spread out? I think I read about it in an article in national geographic. Lives in deep caves methinks. I rememeber hearing a story where one of the photographers was bitten by one and all the scientists were screaming, "Don't kill it, don't kill it! It's really rare!"

Edited by GobotFool

I never saw any live ones while I was deployed to Qatar a few months ago as it hadn't warmed up enough for them and the scorpions to be out yet.  I did hear a few exaggerated stories concerning their abilities from other troops who had them as unit "mascots."  Yes, they can jump 3 ft straight up in the air...it helps them to to attach themselves to camels and other animals.  They are very quick and are attracted to shadows.  Until the General Order 1 came down prohibiting troops from keeping them as pets amoung other things, the troops would catch them and make them fight each other or scorpions...one camel spider was said to have taken on two scorpions and kill both in a matter of minutes.  They can get to be fairly large...almost the size of dinner plates with all legs extended.

I was able to purchase one and bring it back with me to the US.  They sell them mounted/framed at the local BX/PX in some locations for about $20 depening on the size and if the abdomen is connected or not...they usually break away if they dry out too much or not carefully framed.  The one I have is about the size of my palm.  It's not the largest they had available, but it was the only one with abdomen still connected.  I hang it in my office next to the scorpion I bought while I was over there and people can't help but stare at them for a few minutes...great conversation pieces.

Palm sized? Man I have spiders larger than that in my backyard :p:rolleyes: Hey isn't there a spider in africa that's supposedly 2 feet in diameter when fully spread out? I think I read about it in an article in national geographic. Lives in deep caves methinks. I rememeber hearing a story where one of the photographers was bitten by one and all the scientists were screaming, "Don't kill it, don't kill it! It's really rare!"

Goliath Tarantula in the Amazon. How big they get? Really really big.

uhhh... that's kinda freaky. Where can you find these spiders? The reason why I'm asking is because I caught like three of these in my house last year. I was like what kinda spider is this? I stuck a piece of napkin in front of it and it snapped at it and wouldn't let go. So caught it and kept it in a jar for like 3 weeks feeding it with flys and bugs n stuff like that. I was thinking it would just suck the blood out, but this sucker just straight ate the bugs I fed em. I found the second one and caught it and put it in with the first one. Shouldn't have done that. Sucker ate the second on quickly, but the second one put up a good fight. Anyway that first one grew to about an inch in length. I felt bad so I let it go in my back yard. So from then on I never saw any of these spiders again. These suckers I caught looks exactly like the one this picture (the one that says camel spider):

Camel spider

Can somebody provide me with some info on this? Is that what I actually caught?

The giant spider from Arachnophibia?

A dinner plate size spider would still freak me the hell out. To say nothing about one that could eat me for lunch.

uhhh... that's kinda freaky. Where can you find these spiders? The reason why I'm asking is because I caught like three of these in my house last year. I was like what kinda spider is this? I stuck a piece of napkin in front of it and it snapped at it and wouldn't let go. So caught it and kept it in a jar for like 3 weeks feeding it with flys and bugs n stuff like that. I was thinking it would just suck the blood out, but this sucker just straight ate the bugs I fed em. I found the second one and caught it and put it in with the first one. Shouldn't have done that. Sucker ate the second on quickly, but the second one put up a good fight. Anyway that first one grew to about an inch in length. I felt bad so I let it go in my back yard. So from then on I never saw any of these spiders again. These suckers I caught looks exactly like the one this picture (the one that says camel spider):

Camel spider

That might mean that someone near you went to Iraq and was stupid enough to bring one or two home, and they got out or were released. They probably got picked off by a bird or something eventually, or just died being too cold.

Definately don't want any kids finding one.

Edited by Anubis

The giant spider from Arachnophibia?

A dinner plate size spider would still freak me the hell out.  To say nothing about one that could eat me for lunch.

The spider in the movie is pretty small compared to those tarantulas.

The "General" was still pretty damn big.

Camel spider

That might mean that someone near you went to Iraq and was stupid enough to bring one or two home, and they got out or were released. They probably got picked off by a bird or something eventually, or just died being too cold.

Definately don't want any kids finding one.

You can't. Much like scorpions... those spiders are hard to keep alive.