Is this for real?

Sam

Here are some facts about the camel spider/wind scorpion...

Da Straight Dope

Arachnid Necrosis however is some serious crap. Roll yer old newpapers and go here.  :ph34r:

Where's the barfing smilie when you need it :o

Vostok 7

No freakin' kidding!! Here ya go.....

icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

The old board had a better barfing smilie...

I'll stick with dogs.

Dogs aren't as good at catching flies and with spiders you get twice as many legs for your money. :lol:

And inspite of arachnid necrosis spiders still worry me less than, say a drunk in a volvo or a desperate junkie with a straight razor.

Edited by Mechmaster

Spiders are cool, I love them :D ... I've had several pet tarantulas over the years, worst part of that was trying to find out of season bannanas :p

A couple of years ago, I was helping a friend who owns a fireworks display company (he puts on shows for 4th of July, new years, etc...) at one end of his property he had this old shed where he stored additional mortor tubes (6" diameter four foot tall tubes that the shells are launched from) anyway he was prepareing for a memorial day show or something and we needed to get some tubes from the shed...His normal tubes were off in another county for another show, so we had to pick from his backup supply in the shed...problem was that the tubes in the shed hadn't been used in a year or two...so when we opened the door it wasn't a big suprise to find the remains of a snake skin sitting on the floor...

Anyway we started picking out tubes that would work for the upcomeing show...I picked up one and looked inside, there was something dark at the bottom...usualy this is just left over burned foil used to encase the shell and lift charge...so I turned the tube over and tapped out the contents...out pops a wolf spider as big, if not bigger then any of my pet tarantulas...I had never seen one so big in person before, and the way it landed on the table, it almost seemed to have been dead...I took a moment to look a little closer, and it sprung to life, jumping right over my shoulder onto the shed wall behind me. I turned to see it quickly climb up into the rafters...woah! damn thing was quick!...now if only I could have taught my tarantulas to do that :p

Here are some facts about the camel spider/wind scorpion...

Da Straight Dope

Arachnid Necrosis however is some serious crap. Roll yer old newpapers and go here. :ph34r:

I always feel guilty about not liking spiders because they do a lot of unsung good work in the ecological community. Snakes I can respect, even if I don't really want one sliding across the room, but spiders...

One of the sites I looked at about brown recluse spiders mentions that is you get bitten by one, you should try and collect the spider.

Oh, sure. Tell you what, you do that, I'll be outside with the flamethrower... :huh:

Still, even spiders aren't the scariest things on Earth. I read in New Scientist the other day that they've just discovered a type of jelly-fish-like creature off Australia [1] that may just be the most human-lethal thing on the planet... (and no, its not the box jellyfish - its more dangerous than even that!)

[1] What is it with that place and dangerous animals, anyway? ;)

Well I've never been bothered by Spiders but my brother hates them.

We were watching LotR:Return of the King in the theater and he kept whispering "that's just wrong" when Shelob was stalking Frodo...

Wonder if I should send some of these links over to him? ;)

I think three links have been posted, but people still seem to be referring to these critters as spiders. They are in the arachnid class, but are not spiders (just as ticks, scorpions and whip-scorpions are not spiders).

Secondly, they have no venon...so if one did decide to gnaw on a private's ear, he would probably wake up.

That is all. Just some clarification.

man, now that is some sick shiznit. I guess I'm glad those spiders aren't in California, or are they? :p:D:lol: