Harmony Gold & Toynami releasing DYRL? Toys

Duke Togo

I think its quite clear that they are trying to push the issue.

I think you hit it on the head, O Master Sniper. I'll bet that, after Robert Woodhead's jawdropping announcement a few months back (which was, IYEAPN, the catalyst to my going R2 to get DYRL) HG's lawyers went all out to try to discern if they could get the license themselves. If we're lucky these hideous Super Posables are just HG's attempt at a Sunwards in reverse.

Which announcement was this????

Robert has stated many times during the last few years that DYRL would probably never see a US release due to all the complications involving who really has the rights to DYRL.

Oh, ok, I thought you meant there was some new announcement.

3) Unlike Big West licensed and approved Macross merchandise in Japan (which is what us Macross fans REALLY want), neither Harmony Gold or Toynami have access to Shoji Kawamori, Studio Nue, et al to get their approval on the accuracy of their take on the VF-1 Valkyrie's or any other Macross mecha. Toynami's versions of Macross mecha will continue to be inferior to what is available to Japanese fans.

Why should this matter given it's only a cheap effort to get more milage out of the existing Superposeables molds? Apart from having to mold a Strike beam cannon FAST Pack, these are just the Battlecry Superposeables with a different paint job, heck they're still going to use the TV A head instead of the DYRL A head.

Cyc

To add to Apollo Leader's explanation: RW had said that for any anime company to even consider licensing DYRL would mean paying licensing fees to a large number of putative license holders (including, but not limited to HG and BW). Further, most of these companies want to be the only one drawing fees and have said that they would derail any release if the others were paid as well.

Whoa......just came online and it's like WTF! Did I go to sleep last night only to wake up this morning in an alternate dimension, where reality as we know it has been turned upside down?

Anyway, until we get some concrete information, the way I see it is that either HG is just try to see how far they can push the envelope or they have been secretly negotiating with BW recently.

Graham

I asked HG long ago, mentioned this many times before, but they stated that they have no clue where the liscences to DYRL went too, one company had them, than another, and another and boom it became missing after that, but they would like to do DYRL...don't know if it'd be in it's original or would they call it "Robotech: The motion picture" But I think this is a call to Big West to say, "Hey, HG leeches have gone and done something evil again"...I really don't think this is legal...they don't own the DYRL name, it's actually like it's own seperate thing from Macross...

What got me so much was that they are using the actual Japanese names, and actual DYRL designs. No pretense of altering it. At all. Bottom line, they don't have the rights to that material. UNLESS a deal HAS in fact been hammered out that has not been revealed yet. This will be a very interesting year indeed.

They are clearly pushing these as 20th ANNIVERSARY items. Clear as day. This leads me to think they have some kind of brass balls idea about the movie. RT: the movie = Die HG. Animeigo remastered DYRL = Hell yeah, but with reservations as to what they have in store for the english side. Could they have conceded DYRL as the base for the Macross franchise, leaving M7, M0, etc. alone, and keep using SDF Macross for their RT franchise. Maybe the sales of Animeigo's DVD's and the Mospaeda/Southern Cross remasters made them rethink their stance a little.

The reason there are no Robotechies here yet, is because they are all confused like a deer in headlights.

Soon some will come and go "Hey, what is this?" "Who are Hikaru and Kakizaki?" "Strike?" Watch.

I can't wait to see how this develops.

Maybe they got the brass balls all of a sudden for the 20th anniversary, and decided to push the envelope to try to cash in on it. I wonder how this will affect M0 if at all. M7 wasn't picked up yet in large part due to the music liscensing fees. M7 was an exorbantly expensive liscense, that has been admitted to already by a few R1 studios. M0 shouldn't have had a problem. We were betting on who would pick up the rights from big west upon its completion, I hope it doesn't get dragged into a legal quagmire which it still shouldn't.

This is really a merchandise and DYRL itself issue. Same as before, though with a new edge to it that may force various hands to be played. This could be one of the 7 signs of the apocalypse that a deal has been made regarding DYRL. time will tell.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Anubis

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I think Harmony Gold's primary purpose here isn't to sell more toys, but to force BW's hand in resolving the DYRL license issue. After waiting 19 long years, this issue could finally be resolved by the year's end.

From HG's standpoint, this is a win-win situation. If the courts rule against them, it won't hurt them as they've never pushed DYRL merchandise (worthless comics excluded). But, if somehow, the courts rule in their favor (imo, an unlikely situation), they stand to exploit a whole slew of merchandise at a fraction of the cost.

Personally, I'm thinking that HG is hoping that Big West will try to resolve the issue out of court by selling them a DYRL license for x amount of dollars.

The reason there are no Robotechies here yet, is because they are all confused like a deer in headlights.

Not really, we're too busy watching the most feverent Macross fans go ballistic over finally getting some proper Macross toys, with the original spellings, characters, and colours... and then complaining about it.

I can't speak for the others, but the majority the posts in this thread have simply made me laugh harder than I have in weeks. "Whining: The Official Sport of Macrossworld" indeed.

At least HG/Toynami are putting the effort to make little nods and caveates towards the original shows and their fans. These DYRL superposables. The special edition SPs in the SDCC. The Mospeada-style Legioss fighters.

Personally, I think this is a great thing for Toynami to be doing.

I'm no HG lover, but if BW is now willing to deal with HG and license Macross properties to them, this could potentially be a good situation for us.

That is of course only if HG is willing to release pure Macross anime, i.e. subbed, completely uncut and unedited, with all orignial character names retained and no mention at all of Robotech.

Graham

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I think Harmony Gold's primary purpose here isn't to sell more toys, but to force BW's hand in resolving the DYRL license issue. After waiting 19 long years, this issue could finally be resolved by the year's end.

From HG's standpoint, this is a win-win situation. If the courts rule against them, it won't hurt them as they've never pushed DYRL merchandise (worthless comics excluded). But, if somehow, the courts rule in their favor (imo, an unlikely situation), they stand to exploit a whole slew of merchandise at a fraction of the cost.

Personally, I'm thinking that HG is hoping that Big West will try to resolve the issue out of court by selling them a DYRL license for x amount of dollars.

Bingo! We have a winner. This is more than HG just testing the waters to "see what happens."

[sidious] This is an unexpected move for them. It's too agressive. [/sidious]

Not really, we're too busy watching the most feverent Macross fans go ballistic over finally getting some proper Macross toys, with the original spellings, characters, and colours... and then complaining about it.

I don't know about you, but I already have some "proper" DYRL toys. And they even transform.

I can't speak for the others, but the majority the posts in this thread have simply made me laugh harder than I have in weeks. "Whining: The Official Sport of Macrossworld" indeed.

At least HG/Toynami are putting the effort to make little nods and caveates towards the original shows and their fans. These DYRL superposables. The special edition SPs in the SDCC. The Mospeada-style Legioss fighters.

You know, if it doesn't have a BigWest sticker on the box, it isn't proper. :p

Nods and caveates are all nice and dandy, but it still doesn't change the fact that there is a serious doubt to HG/Toynami's legal ability to put out these toys.

I learned long ago to never buy Toynami products simply due to their complete lack of quality. Even if some type of agreement was reached, and Toynami could make officially licensed Macross: DYRL toys, I probably still wouldn't buy them.

I'm no HG lover, but if BW is now willing to deal with HG and license Macross properties to them, this could potentially be a good situation for us.

That is of course only if HG is willing to release pure Macross anime, i.e. subbed, completely uncut and unedited, with all orignial character names retained and no mention at all of Robotech.

Graham

Now I'm thinking positively and of course speculatively...

Its possible that BW said to HG:

"Ok, you winey little Biyatch! We will let you market DYRL, DYRL ONLY... you have 6 monthes to make something of it. If you murder it in the market place, its all on you, you take the loss and the fan backlash. If you succeed in appeasing the fans, makeing new fans, and don't go bankrupt (with how much money your going to have to pay us)... We'll talk about letting you license other Macross works."

Or... your probably very very right... HG is testing BW to see just how far they can go before BW snaps.. goes Manic... and drops a bomb of a "Reactive" lawsuit against them. I'd love to read the Cease and Disist order.

Might explain the pre-order.... making it "appear" available for preorder to give plenty of time to cancel it if BW pursues, or continue and make money. Problem is I also see HG making a huge stink if BW forces HG to cancel it. saying something like "BW doesn't want the US market to have Macross" or some other load of crap.

Where the debate is lies in the legalities behind HG releasing DYRL merchandies, which until now they have not had the rights to do so. It's not the simple fact they they are relasing DYRL super posables. If they have the rights to, then fine. By all means do. But as of right now they do not. Unless new information regarding a deal is presented.

They also have this listed on the RT.com store:

Macross Visor

Now... I'm not sure how this classifies... it does not say Robotech, nor SDF-1 (which by HG license can still be RT)... but just "Macross" and the description says "UN Spacy" logo.. not RT logo... Isn't this item is also questionable?

OH MY GOD!!!!!!  What the hell?!  Most of those Robotechies never even heard of DYRL?!!!!!!  WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!?!?! :ph34r:

Sure they have. They probably seen it as "Clash Of The Bionoids". I can hear the RT people saying "Who's Hikaru?" or "IT'S LISA NOT MISA!" :p:lol:?

~G25

P.S how could I have missed this topic? G4tv is crack :lol:!

Edited by gerwalk25

Macross Visor

Now... I'm not sure how this classifies... it does not say Robotech, nor SDF-1 (which by HG license can still be RT)... but just "Macross" and the description says "UN Spacy" logo.. not RT logo... Isn't this item is also questionable?

This most probably falls under the auspices of "General Merchandise", which they do have the rights of through their connection with Tatsunoko.

Macross Visor

No, Harmony Gold does indeed hold the rights outside of Japan to the original SDF Macross. They can't create a new series using the characters, but they can develop merchandise based upon the series.

Macross Visor

Now... I'm not sure how this classifies... it does not say Robotech, nor SDF-1 (which by HG license can still be RT)... but just "Macross"  and the description says "UN Spacy" logo.. not RT logo... Isn't this item is also questionable?

No, Harmony Gold does indeed hold the rights outside of Japan to the original SDF Macross. They can't create a new series using the characters, but they can develop merchandise based upon the series.

my bad... good to know...

EDIT---

let me clerify... its not "good", but for my information/knowlege its good

Edited by Southcross

Graham

they alredy did this..... animeego sets.

That's what I'm talking about. I hope this is the case and everyone can be happy. BW and HG need to deal... everything else is too murky for it to turn out good any other way in any reasonable amount of time (say the next decade! at least)...

I'd say you guys are over reacting a bit. For one, they're not making any mention of DYRL being part of Robotech in the description. HG is definately making an effort to differentiate between Robotech and Macross, and if you think they're going to release DYRL as a Robotech movie juust because they're making DYRL toys (and not claiming them to be anything but Macross toys) they you're just being paranoid.

HG does understand the differences between Macross and Robotech, and they seem to be sure both series can exist seperately. They supported the Animeigo Macross boxed sets and now they're making DYRL toys, neither of which are going to be advertised or branded as Robotech products.

While I agree with the sentiment, Uxi, I'm wondering if there's been too much bad blood spilled over the course of the past few decades for them to play nice. Rather than the harbinger of some modicum of peace, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see another round of legal fighting going on. It's not over, not by a long shot.

If nothing else, though, this will have to get BW and Tat to stop pussy-footing around the issue of the foreign rights.

ah holy hell.. how in the world could this happen without anyone knowing of it till it was set in stone? How does HG plan to explain to all their Robotech fans wtf DYRL? is? To them, this has to be like telling their children that Santa isn't real..

Lemme clear soemthing up for you guys, since some of you have trouble understanding this.

ROBOTECH FANS AREN'T IDIOTS

Things may have changed, but when I was a regular in the Robotech community (pre-Robotech.com days) every Robotech fan knew the difference between Macross and Robotech. Not only did they know the difference, 95% of them liked both Macross and Robotech.

I'll pause for a second to let you guys pull your jaws off the floor. :rolleyes:

A lot of people here on Macross World are under the impression that Robotech fans dont understand the differences between Macross and Robotech. Unless the average IQ of Robotech.com members is painfully low, it's pretty safe to say that they understand the differences as well.

My point is that just because people here on Macross World disagree with most Robotech fans, don't let a difference in opinion give you the idea that they're idiots. For that matter, don't let a few losers with too much time on their hands that come and troll over here ruin your opinion of all Robotech fans, either.

You must think it's also a great thing what Joons and the Chinese bootleggers of the 1/55 Takas did. :huh:

That's like giving nods to the shady guy on the corner selling fake Rolex watches out of his trenchcoat. I mean, first, you shouldn't praise someone for illegal activities, and second, you can't try to sell an inferior product and expect your market to be happy about it when they know damn well there's better to be had.