Harmony Gold & Toynami releasing DYRL? Toys

Duke Togo

I keep reading that the rights to DYRL were all tied up in obscure ways which is why nobody's done a US release. But the source for this claim is Harmony Gold, isn't it? If so, isn't it possible they were fudging the facts? I can easily imagine that what was really going behind the scenes was that HG was trying to get the DYRL rights from BW, while blocking BW from dealing with anyone else.

Okay, I have to correct myself--the source is apparently Robert Woodhead of Animeigo. Even so, from the reports I've seen, it could well be that the main obstacle has always been a HG/BW dispute, rather than the difficulty of tracking down the rights holders. Here's what I saw on the animeondvd forum:

As for the movie, things get very, very muddled. HG is one of several companies which claims to have rights for US distribution of the movie. Due to some bad blood between the three, none of the companies will let the other two release it here. Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo put the situation like "you ask one of them [for rights], and they refer to the other two. If you try to pay them all, each company says 'we'll license you the movie, but only if you don't give anything to those other two.'"
(--Thanatos; original post is here.)

I think it's likely that two of the three companies are HG and BW. The third may be the distributor of the VHS dub, or possibly Tatsunoko. (We've always assumed TP and HG have no disagreements, but that may not be the case. Historically, HG may have been none too pleased about TP's selling model rights to other US companies, which forced HG into a deal with Revell and eventually--it seems--a legal dispute with FASA.

Edited by ewilen

On the technical side, I haven't had any problems. [ADV] at least have shown a sizable effort, which counts for a lot, which can't be said for some others *cough*Manga*cough*.

Over at animeondvd, people are up in arms because ADV shipped the Southern Cross set with severe glitches on a couple of disks. When people complained, ADV had them send the ENTIRE box set back (the sender had to pay for shipping). And then when the replacement sets arrived, the glitches were still there.

And i dont thing macross fans should appreciate these new offerings, the just trying to put out as many repaints as humanly possible of the same figures.

Funny Yamato does the same thing... repaint... after repaint

at least yamato hasn't realsesed that 3 laser headed freak of nature thing, oh, and their products dont suck :p

true but all Macross VF-1s are repaints. and to imply Toynami is the only one doing it is kind of unfair when Yamato has been doing it for the last 3 years. Not that I'm complaining, I love my 1/48s.

And i dont thing macross fans should appreciate these new offerings, the just trying to put out as many repaints as humanly possible of the same figures.

at least yamato hasn't realsesed that 3 laser headed freak of nature thing, oh, and their products dont suck :p

true but all Macross VF-1s are repaints. and to imply Toynami is the only one doing it is kind of unfair when Yamato has been doing it for the last 3 years. Not that I'm complaining, I love my 1/48s.

Gee I must have missed the part where Toynami designed 2 completely different scales and designs for transformable VF-1s, not to mention accurate representations of the anime they're based on. Not to mention that the sculpts were never, ever thought to be a "clone" of an older toy or model's design.

Not a very fair comparison. Toynami has been a pretty crapass toymaker and we all know it.

ummm.. no. I don't know that.

I think they make fine toys.

And it's fun to transform them MPCs! Imagine that. :D

Actually (and I know you were referring to kawamori's original art or whatever, not the anime) I think the superposeables look the most like what you see in the TV anime. They're 'anime accurate' :p

(don't quite know why I'm responding. feel free to disregard this post)

Edited by Shaggydog

Gee I must have missed the part where Toynami designed 2 completely different scales and designs for transformable VF-1s, not to mention accurate representations of the anime they're based on. Not to mention that the sculpts were never, ever thought to be a "clone" of an older toy or model's design.

Not a very fair comparison. Toynami has been a pretty crapass toymaker and we all know it.

"Gee" no need to be an ass... <_<

I know Toynami blows. I wouldn't buy their stuff anyway. I wont buy these DYRL toys. The one super posable I had fell apart. The MPCs are junk too which I never bought.

Ugh I'm getting too old for this fanboy bullshit...

Well if we follow Toynamis track record on reselling stuff. I'd say the DYRL? MPCs are not far behind.

How many out there is willing to wager against me??? Can you imagine the Hikaru DYRL suit in the MPCs? Not to mention the strike cannon? :o

On the technical side, I haven't had any problems.  [ADV] at least have shown a sizable effort, which counts for a lot, which can't be said for some others *cough*Manga*cough*.

Over at animeondvd, people are up in arms because ADV shipped the Southern Cross set with severe glitches on a couple of disks. When people complained, ADV had them send the ENTIRE box set back (the sender had to pay for shipping). And then when the replacement sets arrived, the glitches were still there.

I didn't buy Southern Cross, so I was not aware of that.

What I did buy within the last year, FMP, RahXephon, Noir, Gasaraki, the Eva Director's Cut, Excel Saga, Ruouni Kenshin: Reflection OVA, and others have all came out fine. Like I said, I would rather Animeigo or Bandai get it, meybe even Pioneer, but at least ADV has a better track record than Manga has ever shown, and has been comparable with Pioneer.

Edited by Anubis

Well if we follow Toynamis track record on reselling stuff.  I'd say the DYRL? MPCs are not far behind.

How many out there is willing to wager against me??? Can you imagine the Hikaru DYRL suit in the MPCs?  Not to mention the strike cannon?  :o

It will be hideously crappy.

It would not surprize me of they have a 20th anniversary MPC or two in the Queue. I have to say, gerwalk doesn't look bad on the MPC's, but the rest of it stinks.

Edited by Anubis

You know what? I wouldnt be surprised if DRYL MPCs came out. At least they have Hayao Kakizaki VF. Strange that there is no Max VF. I wonder if Yamato will make Hayao Kakizaki.

Now a better question is: Will I buy them? HELL NO! I bought the MPCs and the armor. I also have the 1/48 and 1/60 Yamato. I should have stopped buying the MPCs after Rick but I didnt want to have take off the legs for transformation. At the time I didnt really know what I wanted. Until I bought a low vis VF-1A in August. I think that was when I said detail was important and perfect transformation. I sold my extra MPCs and refuse to buy anything by HG or toynami. The Alphas are a big maybe. I do not want to be disappointed again. Quality and price are what gets my blood boiling.

Frankly I will go way outta my way to avoid Toynami and HG.

If they are able to release more DYRL products, fine. Doesn't mean I will buy them, especially when other online stores still sell the imports. Its all about quality for me. If they do release a R1 DVD of DYRL I'd buy it but only if there was a subbed version of it and it was cheap. I already have a version. True we won't know anything till more information on either side is released.

There would never be DYRL MPCs... you want to know why? Because looking at those SPs, theres no difference between TV and Movie VFs... and we all know thats not true, but they don't seem to know.

They would probably just ship a special edition FP with the strike cannon or something.

Edited by Abombz!!

There would never be DYRL MPCs... you want to know why? Because looking at those SPs, theres no difference between TV and Movie VFs... and we all know thats not true, but they don't seem to know.

So true.

Many people have erroneously stated in this thread that there is no difference between the TV and the DYRL Valks except for paintschemes. But this is wrong. There are visual differences, due to the fact that Kawamori upgraded the designs for DYRL.

To say they're the same visually is like saying the Hornet and Super-Hornet look the same.

They do at first glance, but closer inspection points out the differences.

Maybe... or maybe they know and don't care. Even Yamato put DYRL style FAST packs on the 1/60 Hikaru Super VF-1J.

Just seems like they're milking their SP sculpts...

Maybe... or maybe they know and don't care. Even Yamato put DYRL style FAST packs on the 1/60 Hikaru Super VF-1J.

Just seems like they're milking their SP sculpts...

I'm inclined to think they just don't care. Maybe toynami doesn't know any better.... but I'm inclined to think that the HG employees involved with dealing with toynami are aware of the differences.

"Gee" no need to be an ass... <_<

I know Toynami blows. I wouldn't buy their stuff anyway. I wont buy these DYRL toys. The one super posable I had fell apart. The MPCs are junk too which I never bought.

Ugh I'm getting too old for this fanboy bullshit...

Is there ever - really and truly - a need to be an ass? :p

Don't get dispirited, Bud... I wasn't trying to attack you, I just wanted to point that there's a lot of difference between Toynami and Yamato, beyond their respective affiliations to HG and BW.

So, no worries... relax and breathe deep. Sorry to offend.

As for Shaggydog -

ummm.. no. I don't know that.

I think they make fine toys.

And it's fun to transform them MPCs! Imagine that. 

Actually (and I know you were referring to kawamori's original art or whatever, not the anime) I think the superposeables look the most like what you see in the TV anime. They're 'anime accurate'

(don't quite know why I'm responding. feel free to disregard this post)

I won't disregard your post... I should have clarified that Toynami is WAY below Yamato in terms of popularity amongst the folks here. Mine included. Your opinion is your own.

hehehe

Somebody oughta inform Toynami that the head-lasers of DYRL valkyries points forwards instead of their current rebadged-bootlegs' backwards TV-lasers.

sheesh!

:lol::lol::lol:

fwiw, is anybody here really gonna buy these dyrl-bootlegs when these become available after Toyfare-2004?

Edited by treatment

But I wonder, why havn't they started with landbased vehicles yet? I mean the bikes and tanks especaly.

Also HG could re-use the molds for the non transformable mechs, they were used in exo-squad awhile back...

I think something is abrewing, that could go either way...

Because so far.... HG has only been interested in producing stuff from the Macross Saga and New Generation. Apparently.... the RT Masters part of the show isn't considered profitable by HG.

But I want a tank dammit A TANK!!!

Oh and a mospeeda bike, preferibly if the figures were 8" tall that should be a decent height and scale to make a bike for... I'd want a 12" figure but it would seem to similar to GIJOE....

But one useful thing that HG could do is mass produce the enemy mechs, those I would not mind getting for 10 bucks, because they don't transform in the first place...

Edited by BFG-1 Gigan

They say there is no market for it. Which is funny since they have never done any type of testing or tried to push that part of the series. Instead they are going on market data from the early 80s. To actually create a market for SC toys HG would actually have to put in some work. Everything they've done so far has simply been copies off products that have been produced already by other companies. Clothing, hats, mugs are simple. You just need to add the logo to the hat, cloths or image to a cup. No real work there.

LOL - funny how some people reacted to this. You would think their lives depended on what one toy company does. It is interesting to say the least. I don't see how Toynami can make them without some sort of agreement. Toynami did get permission to use the superposeable design in the first place so it's not like they always steal designs.

Oh...stop whining about Yamato doing repaints. All the "repaints," as you call them now are legitimate valks to sell, they all showed up in the TV or DYRL? movie (with the exception of the Low Viz, but all I've read and heard was praised even though we don't even know that it will appear in Macross Zero). Live with it.

Oh...stop whining about Yamato doing repaints. All the "repaints," as you call them now are legitimate valks to sell, they all showed up in the TV or DYRL? movie (with the exception of the Low Viz, but all I've read and heard was praised even though we don't even know that it will appear in Macross Zero). Live with it.

No kidding? Really? <_<

I kinda referred to that in another post after the one you quoted.

ugh this board today...

They would probably just ship a special edition FP with the strike cannon or something.

You mean like Bandai did with the Hikaru strike. ;)

fwiw, is anybody here really gonna buy these dyrl-bootlegs when these become available after Toyfare-2004?

I might pick up a Strike if I find one for a $1.50.

yeah. i guess so.

$1.50 for the whole set of six should be good enuff price for it.

$1.50.

that's Buck-Fifty, for the dollar-impaired.

I won't buy them. I have enough Macross stuff from Yamato. The last super posable I had from Toynami the legs fell off and the paint job sucked.

Edited by dejr8bud

I might pick up a Strike if I find one for a $1.50.

yeah. i guess so.

$1.50 for the whole set of six should be good enuff price for it.

$1.50.

that's Buck-Fifty, for the dollar-impaired.

Don't forget to specify canadian dollars! :)

Hmmm... Hong Kong dollars are almost 8-1 with the US Dollar. Maybe we should use those?