Harmony Gold & Toynami releasing DYRL? Toys

Duke Togo

I own the rights to Clash of the Bionoids. I'm currently collecting all old VHS copies so I can burn them out of existence. So in the future when someone asks "whats Clash of Bioinoids?" I can say "never heard of that one, probably just some rumor".

Sadly enough, you can't burn the memory from my head.

:(

If this leads to a region 1 DYRL DVD (unaltered of course and legalities straightened out) so be it. I doubt many here wouldn't buy it. Even the folks that scream boycott HG that have their Macross boxset sitting on their shelves.... <_<

It's funny, because no matter how much we dislike HG's business practices, I've never seen anyone here deny the fact that the one thing HG always had the right to do was distribute the SDF: Macross TV shows. Which is exactly what the AnimeIgo Boxset is.

The problem really lies in the question of whether or not it was intended to let whomever Tatsunoko distribute with mangle the show itself into something different.

ya but you do realize that HG probably soaked up 90% of the profit?

:HG Handshake: (translation: shake your hand with their right, as they steal you blind with their left)

:HG product push: (translation: bend you over and do you dry)

:HG Blows: (Translation: self explanitory)

crap, I have to go to bed... someone save my place in line

You know whats funny? Watching ppl run around like headless chickens over something like this.... as if the world was coming to an end tomorrow.

Truly hilarious. :lol:

See... if theres anything wrong with this release, something will be done about it, like it was done about the Macross 7 Trash release. BW isn't exactly blind, you know? :rolleyes:

If they are on solid ground.... just move on with your life and keep doing what you guys always do.... get import toys. Honestly... I wouldn't miss a breath over super poseables. <_<

I think as much as it seems like people are panicking, we're all just having fun with it. At least I know I am. I mean, what's more fun than headless chickens?

Oh yeah. Penguin baseball!!!

Ali Sama- Take your own advice and learn international copyright and other laws.

Just because a company procures the distribution rights for a show doesn't give them ALL of the rights to the franchise, as HG claims it has.

I was in negotiations to produce a "Ninja scroll" mini comic to be released with the "ninja scroll" tv sereis. The us distribution compnay loved the idea and wanted to persue it, then the found out they did nto have the rights to do so. The oucld nto creat original content as to the agreement. If they did it would not be pretty.

Bigwest etc could have stopped robotech on it;s tracks the minute it hit tv if the contract was not solid. You can;t jsut claim youhaev a right and have it be true. You either have it or you don't.

As far as the franchise. if they buy DYRL you can bitch mone complaine. wont; change jack sh*t.. Peopelw ith money cna buy anything. Big west and studio nue are there to maek money. If they cna make money on a product that is 20 years old or so. they will. get with the prorgam.

If this leads to a region 1 DYRL DVD (unaltered of course and legalities straightened out) so be it. I doubt many here wouldn't buy it. Even the folks that scream boycott HG that have their Macross boxset sitting on their shelves.... <_<

It's funny, because no matter how much we dislike HG's business practices, I've never seen anyone here deny the fact that the one thing HG always had the right to do was distribute the SDF: Macross TV shows. Which is exactly what the AnimeIgo Boxset is.

The problem really lies in the question of whether or not it was intended to let whomever Tatsunoko distribute with mangle the show itself into something different.

its happened here plenty and other anime boards I've been to..

No one brings it up that much anymore since all the legal stuff has started but there are some Macross fans still in denial.

Damn your Penguin Baseball, EXO!

I lost my patience after getting with a point of your score!

I agree, I think most of us here at MW are just having fun with this... we've been through enough HG vs BW silliness to not get so worked up over more shenanigans.

Nobody here wants to relive all that crap... most of the ones who would love to argue and fight about this crap have been banned. And there was much rejoicing.

If it was discovered that Hamrony Gold aquired the rights to DYRL? from whatever backwards company that currently owns them, and Harmony Gold released a R1 DVD of the movie, would you buy it?

it dopesn on money avalability and quality.

I have it on dvd already though (eg)

v. boot·legged, boot·leg·ging, boot·legs

v. tr.

1. To make, sell, or transport (alcoholic liquor) for sale illegally.

2. To produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally: a clandestine outfit that bootlegs compact discs and tapes.

v. intr.

1. To engage in the bootlegging of alcoholic liquor or another product.

2. To attach a transmitter to a dish antenna, creating an uplink via which a signal is sent to a satellite without the knowledge of the satellite's owner.

3. Football. To fake a hand-off, conceal the ball on the hip, and roll out in order to pass or especially to rush around the end. Used of a quarterback.

n.

1. A product, especially alcoholic liquor, that is illicitly produced, distributed, or sold.

2. The part of a boot above the instep.

3. Football. A play in which the quarterback bootlegs.

adj.

Produced, sold, or transported illegally: bootleg gin; bootleg tapes.

wow. that totoaly describe s a company who paid for the rights of a show. yeah it does.

Ali Sama- Let's try this again, shall we?

The statement you made, which I quoted above, seems to me that you're saying it's OK for a company to make toys simply because they paid for the rights to the show.

I was responding that simply because a company pays for the rights to the show, that doesn't mean they can do anything they want with the franchise itself. Which is kind of what your statement, which I was replying to, was implying.

ILLUSTRATED TRAIN OF CONVERSATION:

HG makes bootleg DYRL toys. -> Bootlegs, why are they bootlegs? -> "Insert defintion of Bootleg here" -> Ali Sama: "wow. that totoaly describe s a company who paid for the rights of a show. yeah it does." -> TWDC: "Rights to show doesn't mean rights to everything." -> Ali Sama: "Peopelw ith money cna buy anything"... "get with the prorgam."

I'll tell you this, I am with the program (much more so than you, I'd like to think).

I never once stated that BigWest/Studio Nue haven't sold/licensed DYRL rights to HG (although I do feel it's quite unlikely, given the history of the licensing debacle). So why are you rambling on about these companies are there to make money and that I should get with the program? In no way during your statement did actually address my response to your original statement.

Edited by the white drew carey

If it was discovered that Hamrony Gold aquired the rights to DYRL? from whatever backwards company that currently owns them, and Harmony Gold released a R1 DVD of the movie, would you buy it?

nope. I'm happy with my boot. I don't give a crap about Harmony Gold or Big West, I just wants me Macross. ;)

It all depends what they did with it. It would have to be subbed and restored for me to think about it, since I already have two copies (albeit bootlegs).

On Moral Ground- I really think the only way HG would release it is if they did obtain the rights from the current U.S. holder. If HG does announce that they will release DYRL, I'm sure that BigWest will request that HG prove it holds the license to do so.

Personally, it looks like they're still using the exact same head (not the more refined DYRL VF-1A head) though it is a bit heard to tell in the pictures. Seems to be just another case of "no one pinned us for bootlegging toys, so we'll bootleg the paint schemes too."

they always had dyrl style heads on the vf-1a

Nope, just gave the eye grey edges.

I guess Toynami DYRL toys using the TV series head is no different from Yamato toys claiming to be TV series VF-1A with the DYRL head...

Cyc

well the toynami head is like a hybrid of the dyrl and the tv head, the laser points forward on the dyrl head, and it mor angular had has the grey border around the eyepiece, the tv head is rounder, fatter and the laser sweeps back, the toynami head is definitely dyrl but the laser sweeps back

Wow this thread is flying...

I already have DYRL on DVD. Good enough for what it is, I think... so doubt I'd be buying an HG Version. Don't see what an official R1 release could add... mabye slightly better quality...

All I want to know is what could happen with us being able to get toys from Japan? Could this "first step" of HG producing DYRL? merchandise be a prelude to us not being able to import toys from yamato anymore?

Or could this have the opposite affect and possibly allow companies like Yamato to import their products to the US and worldwide?

I've read most of this thread, and these questions really haven't been addressed except by Kevin from Valk Exchange. So would someone please comment about this?

Thanks.

rocco_77

yer damn right, I know I would and am willing to bet everyone else would too

Absolutely!

I will only buy HG products that are quality... That has been my gripe with them over the years.

I don't care who owns who's rights or what the fukin deal is from a legal standpoint... If HG produces good products like the Animego set I will buy them.

If they product garbage like the RT remasters (Who the fuk would remaster a hackjob?) I won't purchase...

This is the worst news I have heard in a long time.

Either HG is pushing its boundries or they made a deal with BigWest.

This definitely doesn't have to be bad news. Since we know absolutely nothing about the deal, including whether it exists, allow me to engage in some wild speculation...

Push has finally come to shove, and Big West/Bandai are ready to assert their rights in the US Since they don't want to be bothered by legal hassles, they've thrown HG a bone: don't bother us, and in exchange we'll give you the right to release a line of DYRL superposables. But that's it.

After said agreement, BW/Bandai may decide to play ball with HG on further Macross video distribution and merchandising, but they'll be completely free to go to another distributor and to import Yamato toys, etc.

Again, this is pure speculation. I'm simply trying to illustrate the fact that if these superposables are a sign of a settlement, it by no means indicates that BW is giving away the farm.

I know nothing about this "Hamrony Gold :p, but if HG somehow enlists Animeigo to release DYRL, then I would, to compare notes (as well as to continue my support for more R1 releases of Macross shows and movies regardless of who has 'em)

I'm not the most savvy guy here, but could this thread qualify as the most quickly responded topic ever? 10 pages in less than a day. That's gotta be some record for this site.

No that would be the first Japanese court ruling we got 2 years ago.

That thread was over 30 pages in 4 hours.

This is the worst news I have heard in a long time.

Either HG is pushing its boundries or they made a deal with BigWest.

This definitely doesn't have to be bad news. Since we know absolutely nothing about the deal, including whether it exists, allow me to engage in some wild speculation...

Push has finally come to shove, and Big West/Bandai are ready to assert their rights in the US Since they don't want to be bothered by legal hassles, they've thrown HG a bone: don't bother us, and in exchange we'll give you the right to release a line of DYRL superposables. But that's it.

After said agreement, BW/Bandai may decide to play ball with HG on further Macross video distribution and merchandising, but they'll be completely free to go to another distributor and to import Yamato toys, etc.

Again, this is pure speculation. I'm simply trying to illustrate the fact that if these superposables are a sign of a settlement, it by no means indicates that BW is giving away the farm.

I am hoping that Bandai will step in and take control of MW:DYRL and MW Zero in North America since Bandai owns them in Japan...

Bandai is a way better company than HG...

Ali Sama- Let's try this again, shall we?

The statement you made, which I quoted above, seems to me that you're saying it's OK for a company to make toys simply because they paid for the rights to the show.

I was responding that simply because a company pays for the rights to the show, that doesn't mean they can do anything they want with the franchise itself. ...

Or they wrote a new agreement... Or maybe we as fans have no clue what the hell is in any of these agreements.

Just a thought.

All I want to know is what could happen with us being able to get toys from Japan? Could this "first step" of HG producing DYRL? merchandise be a prelude to us not being able to import toys from yamato anymore?

I doubt it. As far as HG is concerned, if you want toys then you'd get them from Toynami. George Sohn didn't sell out Toycom just to see Yamatos come into the country unhindered.

Edited by bsu legato

Honestly... I find it hard to believe that HG would simply be able to stop all import Macross toys from reaching the hands of the fans. Its too big, too many sources for them to just stop it.

If they really had balls, I would love to see them make some DYRL MPCs or maybe celebrate Macross Plus's little mentioned 10th anniversary, with YF-19 MPC. :rolleyes:

Never happen. BigWest/Studio Nue's U.S. Copyright to Macross Plus is still in effect and, to my knowledge, has never been officially challenged by HG.

Sorry Drew, I'm not big on the whole ownership debate... what would have been a better example? Macross 2 or Macross 7 valks. I mean they are working off the whole we own the Macross name outside of Japan aren't they? Or the fact that Tatsanuko hada part in DYRL??? I guess it's all just speculation what their claim is, and it's too much to hope that we would find out. :huh:

From a legal standpoint, the DYRL Valks are qualitatively the same as the M+ Valks. That is, unless there's something in the BW/TP contract which would treat DYRL as a special case. But the M+ Valks would be a more blatant example of the same principle.

I want to emphasize that if HG doesn't have an agreement with BW, if they do enjoy exclusive rights to Macross derivatives in the US, that means that they can block other companies from releasing DYRL, M+, etc. stuff here. It may mean that they can create their own derivatives (toys, comic adaptations, even animated sequels). But unless the BW/TP contract gives away far more than we've assumed, it doesn't mean that they can simply "take" Macross derivatives in Japan and distribute or merchandize them here in the US without BW's permission.

Edited by ewilen

Honestly... I find it hard to believe that HG would simply be able to stop all import Macross toys from reaching the hands of the fans. Its too big, too many sources for them to just stop it.

considering the ease of availability at the corner store instead of mail order, I dont think they would have too

Sure. I own the Region 2 DVD and FX bootleg whats another disc? I'd assume that all the legal stuff would be resolved by then. As long as its unaltered and the quality is good I'll buy it. Let the pros handle it, Bandai or Geneon. Animeigo did a good job on the series but their distribution sucks. DYRL is too much of a classic to remain hidden on the internet or barely found in retail stores.

Knowing HG they'd use ADV again. Which can be hit & miss.

Maybe DYRL will be re-released as Do You Remember Robotech?

Anyways, with the current situation, it means toynami is making bootlegs :p

And i dont thing macross fans should appreciate these new offerings, the just trying to put out as many repaints as humanly possible of the same figures.

And if HG is testing the waters with these figures, if they cant release them, they havent lost anything.

I haven't had any real problem with ADV releases at all. My only gripe is the 7 disc format they have used for some shows, and some questionable dub castings. I would have watched FMP dubbed it not for Sousuke's English VA. Didn't like him.

On the technical side, I haven't had any problems. They at least have shown a sizable effort, which counts for a lot, which can't be said for some others *cough*Manga*cough*.

If ADV handles the DYRL release, I won't have much problem. I would rather see Bandai or Animeigo get it, but given ADV's past successful relationship with HG, I would wager they would get it. Animeigo would also be very good, though their distribution is still nowhere near ADV's ability, they are getting better. One more argument for ADV is they could initiate a sizable marketing campaign for it, something that Animeigo wouldn't do nearly as well on. As long as it's not Manga, which I seriously doubt would be a contender for DYRL anyway.

This of course assumes a deal has been hammered out finally between HG and BW.

Edited by Anubis

And i dont thing macross fans should appreciate these new offerings, the just trying to put out as many repaints as humanly possible of the same figures.

Funny Yamato does the same thing... repaint... after repaint

at least yamato hasn't realsesed that 3 laser headed freak of nature thing, oh, and their products dont suck :p