New Macross Animation Announced, to be animated by Sunrise

seti88

8 hours ago, SebastianP said:

You're missing something critical here.

I don't expect the show air until 2025, with a teaser in December next year, for one important reason; We haven't heard a thing about auditions, yet.

Frontier wasn't announced at all - we first heard about it when someone described auditions going on at Victor Entertainment for a "new big-budget anime" and someone said the pamphlets given to the hopefuls mentioned Macross. That was in February 2007. In April, auditions had concluded and Megumi Nakajima was presented as the winner at the 25th anniversary concert. There was the Deculture Edition episode 1 in December, and then the show aired properly starting in April 2008.

Delta was given an "A new Macross TV show is in development" announcement in March 2014, and then we next heard about it in October 2014 when they announced that auditions would begin in December that year. Auditions ran until April 2015, and then there was silence until October, when Kawamori revealed more info; and then we got the first episode preview in December 2015, followed by the show proper in April 2016. 

We are at "A new Macross TV show is in development", and I haven't heard anything about auditions, which means we're at least one year out from today. More likely, we'll get an audition announcement somewhere this fall, and they'll be done by April next year, with the show airing in April 2025. 

(Unless I've been totally oblivious and there *has* been auditions that I missed hearing about. But IIRC all we know about Macross 40+ is that it's being animated by Sunrise.)

Edit: The original thread discussing the existence of auditions for a new Macross show back in 2007 is absolute megacringe. The things people apparently wanted from the new show... thank the Hoary Froating Head we didn't get any of that. 

Cheers for this info. Makes a lot sense.

From what I roughly recall from Sunrise's other shows (Which don't include singers though), the first announcement to the reveal of at least the series name and logo is within a year, then afterwards slowly drop teasers of characters, settings, to eventually the plot and some merch some months before airing. So yeah, it's likely it won't air next year. 

Then also depends the size of the series... 12 Episodes, 24 Episodes, just a film??? 

The wait continues. 

22 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As both @azrael and I mentioned, we don't have any actual/official timing info.

What I described is the approximate timing they've used the last two times (Frontier and Delta)... but there's no guarantee that Big West will stick to the same schedule with Sunrise doing the animation production.  If they are, we're looking at another 2-3 months before we get any real information about the series in terms of when and where it's set.

I'm thinking about the same thing: if. Being that they're using a different company, there may be a different schedule; I imagine Sunrise has other projects and have to schedule when the new Macross series can be produced.

10 hours ago, azrael said:

Or call in an established singer (likewise, no need to audition). ex. JUNNA, May'n, Yoshiki Fukuyama, Chie Kajiura

Speaking of Yoshiki Fukuyama: I wonder what Basara Nekki is doing these days in the Macross universe?

15 hours ago, SebastianP said:

You're missing something critical here. [...]

You're assuming they're doing open auditions.

There's no guarantee they're doing that... prior to Frontier, the norm was for them to contact the partner label and get a short list of already-signed newbie performers.

20 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Speaking of Yoshiki Fukuyama: I wonder what Basara Nekki is doing these days in the Macross universe?

As of 2060, he's still bumming around the galaxy as he was in Macross Dynamite 7.

He sent his guitar tracks for the Fire Bomber reunion album in over the galaxy network.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You're assuming they're doing open auditions.

There's no guarantee they're doing that... prior to Frontier, the norm was for them to contact the partner label and get a short list of already-signed newbie performers.

And if that's working for them, they'll probably continue to do so.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As of 2060, he's still bumming around the galaxy as he was in Macross Dynamite 7.

He sent his guitar tracks for the Fire Bomber reunion album in over the galaxy network.

And probably hiding from Mylene! :p

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 12:56 AM, Bolt said:

There was a huge spectacle and hype over the Delta auditions. It seemed to really hype up the series. But, all the same, best not to assume one way or the other.

This might end up being a one off film which won't need hyped up auditions for a full band, 

The next Macross needs to have a matured singer with a much more powerful voice. JUNNA was okay, May'n was good but it always felt like something was missing. I'm not asking for someone on the same vocal levels as Mariah Carey for example, though that would be great but something close or similar to it.

I don't know many Japanese composers, so I don't know who can make great pop music. Maybe the next Macrons can have multiple composers and musical style.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 10:52 PM, network19 said:

The next Macross needs to have a matured singer with a much more powerful voice. JUNNA was okay, May'n was good but it always felt like something was missing. 

They need Yoko Kanno to do the music. 

Delta and Frontier was very forgettable. 

Are... people unaware Yoko Kanno was involved in Frontier?

Because she was. She scored the entire series and had a large part in building Sheryl and Ranka's music.

Delta was someone different and it is noticeable but be careful about casually dumping on Frontier while praising Kanno, lol. 

I am gonna say frontier's OST amazed me. Didn't expect any macross series to top the OG SDFM scores.

But yet, i think frontier is... dare i say it... a touch (just a little) more appealing/resonated to me more than SDFM.  

To me anyway. Music is after all subjective, like all arts..

On 9/9/2023 at 5:28 PM, Graham said:

Whenever in the timeline this series is based, I'm super excited to see the new VF designs.

Always! But i think with the trend of bandai overmilking molds, its going to be how much more super/kibble parts can one valk carry.

4 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

While enjoyment of the music is subjective, this is pretty much an objectively incorrect statement. Especially considering that Frontier's music is some of the franchise's most popular and that both of its singers have had subsequent appearances and releases a solid decade after their series ended. Singles from both Frontier and Delta topped charts in Japan too.

Not to mention the fact that the Yoko Kanno was both a composer and lyricist for almost every song from Frontier 

5 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Seriously, Frontier was scored by Kanno (and lyrics as Seto mentioned), and Delta wasn't a slouch either. Not to mention that while Kanno has had quite the impact on the OST's shes done, she's not the only game in town.

What's Yoko Kanno up to these days? Those Macross Frontier live concerts were amazing. In my opinion that was the peak of Macross music.

5 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Seriously, Frontier was scored by Kanno (and lyrics as Seto mentioned), and Delta wasn't a slouch either. Not to mention that while Kanno has had quite the impact on the OST's shes done, she's not the only game in town.

Who else do you have in mind? I'm thinking Sawano would be a great improvement over Delta music, but I'm coming up zero on singers. Usually they do go with new faces but I'm hopeful they make good choices.

2 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

You know, it would be quite hilarious if this Sunrise show is a VFG racing anime instead of a mainline plot show.

It actually crossed my mind.

Or kids entering some kind of a virtual pokemon styled tournament... 

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Ouch... my bad. Forgot that... 

It's also worth remembering that Yoko Kanno is not always credited under her real name too.

As a composer, she's credited under her real name.  She's usually credited under a pseudonym ("Gabriela Robin") when she's working as a lyricist and mixing English and Japanese or performing her own compositions.  

Edited by Seto Kaiba

10 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Frontier and Plus are my favorite Macross OSTs, both composed by Yoko Kanno

I know, I forgot Frontier was Kanno's work too...

I loved Plus, it's on my mega playlist, and favorite alongside Zero. 

On 10/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, Raikkonen said:

Frontier had really awesome BGM and songs.

While Delta doesn't really have much BGM, the songs have really grown on me.

As far as the Delta anime goes though 100% prefer the 2 Delta movies to the TV series.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

I never could really get into the instrumental music of Zero.

But Frontier has some absolutely awesome instrumental BGM tracks, especially on the Macross Frontier OST 1 CD, including Private Army, Alto's Theme, Tally Ho and The Target.

That sequence of Alto's Theme, Tally Ho, The Target and Vajra is epic!

5 hours ago, Graham said:

While Delta doesn't really have much BGM, the songs have really grown on me.

+1. I think I actually enjoyed the Walkure concerts more than the TV series, and I listen to the concert tracks more than the studio ones. 

On 10/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

It's also worth remembering that Yoko Kanno is not always credited under her real name too.

As a composer, she's credited under her real name.  She's usually credited under a pseudonym ("Gabriela Robin") when she's working as a lyricist and mixing English and Japanese or performing her own compositions.  

This is new to me. I'm familiar with 'Gabriela Robin' on Ghost in the Shell SAC. I didn't know it was her. :wub:

Thanks for this cool info, @Seto Kaiba. :good: 

I don't think any of the Macross music so far has been bad but all together it is forgettable. Frontier is probably the best so far due to its vocals and musical variety.

I don't know what to expect of the next Macross in terms of music. I know that some people might say that Macross won't repeat itself but I don't think that is true. Macross will do what they think is right for its time. Macross has always been Pop, in the traditional sense. I'm just hoping that this time around Pop means something R&B-esque.

43 minutes ago, network19 said:

I don't think any of the Macross music so far has been bad but all together it is forgettable. Frontier is probably the best so far due to its vocals and musical variety.

I don't know what to expect of the next Macross in terms of music. I know that some people might say that Macross won't repeat itself but I don't think that is true. Macross will do what they think is right for its time. Macross has always been Pop, in the traditional sense. I'm just hoping that this time around Pop means something R&B-esque.

Completely disagree about Macross Music being forgettable.

I've been listening to Macross music since the 80s, have a pretty big collection of Macross CDs and still regularaly listen to the music of SDF Macross, DYRL Macross II, Macross 7, Macross Plus, Macross Frontier and Macross Delta.

The only Macross music which to me is forgettable is that from Macross Zero. There was really nothing that grabbed me.

1 hour ago, network19 said:

<insert pitchforks gif here> 😅

i wanna forget that tune but each time i unbox a VF-1....😂

giphy(10).gif.c43796c6486bd5492fe5e893e134a108.gif

As far as bgm I prefer the old stuff the best followed by plus. As far as the actual songs I gotta go with 7 stuff. Jet fighters need a more rockin soundtrack. That’s what helped make Top Gun memorable. But I doubt that a new series will have anything but a more pop sound to it