Godzilla Minus One - November 3rd 2023

mikeszekely

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

Is it a follow on to Shin Godzilla?

Details are still pretty sparse at this point, but it's unlikely.  Toho's Keiji Ota is or was less in favor of a Shin Godzilla sequel and more interested in building a kaiju cinematic universe.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Details are still pretty sparse at this point, but it's unlikely.  Toho's Keiji Ota is or was less in favor of a Shin Godzilla sequel and more interested in building a kaiju cinematic universe.

That’s kinda what I expected, especially after the recent shorts. Although I would like to see a sequel to Shin Godzilla 

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm happy.  I did not enjoy Shin Godzilla at all.

I liked Shin Godzilla, but I liked (almost) all the Godzilla films.  That said, I could go for a Showa-style thing where different kaiju carry their own films, not just turn up as the heel in the latest Godzilla vs film.

• 8 months later...
  • azrael changed the title to Godzilla Minus One - November 3rd 2023
On 7/11/2023 at 3:29 PM, Old_Nash_II said:

Seems like more a prequel from first movie

Having never seen Shin Godzilla, I was under the impression that that's entirely standalone...? Or do you mean a prequel to the FIRST first movie, ie '54 Goji?

Perhaps "Minus One" implies an alternate retelling of '54, reframing the nuclear weapons social anxiety around... maybe... the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami, and/or climate change more broadly. IIRC that was somewhat the case with Shin Godzilla, but there the movie was just evoking footage from the disaster while the social commentary focused on government bureaucracy. I dunno, lemme know.

8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Having never seen Shin Godzilla, I was under the impression that that's entirely standalone...? Or do you mean a prequel to the FIRST first movie, ie '54 Goji?

Perhaps "Minus One" implies an alternate retelling of '54, reframing the nuclear weapons social anxiety around... maybe... the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami, and/or climate change more broadly. IIRC that was somewhat the case with Shin Godzilla, but there the movie was just evoking footage from the disaster while the social commentary focused on government bureaucracy. I dunno, lemme know.

TOHO has been tight-lipped on details but it appears it is a retelling of Goji's first appearance, but it's right after WWII instead of in 54. 

It was being suggested that this might be the beginning of a new Toho Kaiju cinematic universe.  I think I could go for that.  I mean, thanks to the MCU the notion of a cinematic universe is a bit played out (and it's certainly not helped by DC, Universal Monsters, and Sony's Spider-Man failed cinematic universes), but like I said before I kind of miss the old Showa days when Mothra or Rodan could carry a film on their own before turning up in a Godzilla film.  And I really miss the Heisei-era cohesion between films.

4 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Saw the trailer. Looks good. But anyone know the meaning of "minus one"?

According to the director himself...

"Japan was at zero immediately post war and then Godzilla strikes to hit an already devastated society at it's lowest taking them below zero to a new level of desperation, a minus one."

Edited by renegadeleader1

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

According to the director himself...

"Japan was at zero immediately post war and then Godzilla strikes to hit an already devastated society at it's lowest taking them below zero to a new level of desperation, a minus one."

17 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Perhaps "Minus One" implies an alternate retelling of '54, reframing the nuclear weapons social anxiety around... maybe... the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami, and/or climate change more broadly.

Well there goes that theory. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...