Jump to content

HMR Macross Zero VF-0S Phoenix


jvmacross
 Share

Recommended Posts

The HMR line in my opinion has two different quality and design approaches. You can divide it in two groups. First, the VF-1 and the VF-0S in one group of releases (not the best fit and finish) and then the other group where the VF-4, Destroids, Glaug and Regult all feel like T-Rex/Arcadia products in 1/100 scale (with much better fit and finish).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

The HMR line in my opinion has two different quality and design approaches. You can divide it in two groups. First, the VF-1 and the VF-0S in one group of releases (not the best fit and finish) and then the other group where the VF-4, Destroids, Glaug and Regult all feel like T-Rex/Arcadia products in 1/100 scale (with much better fit and finish).

 

I’ve never thought of it this way. That is a very good call out. 
 

Hopefully, the QRau falls in the latter group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So yeah, compared to the HMR VF-4, Bandai seems to have taken a step back with the overall fit and finish on the 0S.

Side note: even though it uses the same sliding arm mechanism as the VF-1, I found it more difficult to tuck everything into fighter mode than the 1/60 0S. Add to that fewer tabs and detents than its bigger counterpart.

The VF-4 was also equally lacking in detail markings out of the box though. :unknw:

Admittedly, the HMR 0S looks better in fighter mode than battroid, which is surprising for a Bandai valk.

HMR VF-0S vs HMR VF-4 (both taken using DSLR)

52506986413_e85de8b683_o.jpg

HMR vs 1/60 :blink: (both taken with phone camera)

1237008081_HMRvsArcadia0Ssmall.jpg.2a5cea9080504df4c5335d4a848ff793.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Nice diorama....wonder if Bandai will give us the HMR SV-51's?

 

The fact that the VF-0D is a now a possibility, anything can happen. If they do decide to make an SV-51, the boosters better be included and not be some lame TWE offer.

Any day now we'll probably see a Ghost/weapons exclusive for the VF-0's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

The fact that the VF-0D is a now a possibility, anything can happen. If they do decide to make an SV-51, the boosters better be included and not be some lame TWE offer.

Any day now we'll probably see a Ghost/weapons exclusive for the VF-0's.

I hope you’re right, but in the meantime…

Genie Lamp GIFs | Tenor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2022 at 10:27 PM, MKT said:

I suppose, any single-layer white parts will show some translucence when held up against direct light. In the Arcadia VF-1 pic, other than the wings and backpack flap, other places remain opaque.

I was a bit bothered about this VF-0S, because places like the arms and chest, still show some translucence I've not seen in the other HMR when taking pics of them in the usual lighting conditions.

Anyway, I took the short wings of the VF-0S, VF-1J Hikaru, and the VF-2SS, taped them against a lamp shade, and this is what I got:

113960622_HMRTranslucenseComparison.jpg.96c82a594eeefb28e2ba8f4b25df51e1.jpg

 

When I measured the thickness of the wings using a vernier caliper, this is what I obtained. But take the absolute figures with a grain of salt, because the wings are not flat and molded with surface curvature, especially so with the VF-1 wings. The thickness varies on different areas of each individual wing, but the takeaway is that the difference in thickness across all 3 are pretty consistent.

17780350_HMRThicknessComparison.jpg.68db750d7519e51a1d188c7396cad5b8.jpg

 

Although the opacity of each wing appears to correspond to their thickness, the degree doesn't seem to be. The VF-0 is about 5% less thick than the VF-2, but to my eye the light filtering through look to be much more than that... :unknw:   

 

 

Edit: Well, forget the thickness measurements above. Did another translucence comparison test, and the results are self-explanatory lol..

592585126_HMRTranslucenseComparison2.jpg.fb735f705121a83c66763828b37d4906.jpg

 

 

I took a look at this in the packaging and was immediately struck by how cheap-looking it was.  Something you'd expect from a Hasbro knockoff, or even Hasbro, but definitely not Bandai.  Then again, as Lolicon pointed out, there's been a tendency to spotlight the mecha in the HMR series, and neglect the valkyries.  I strongly agree, but this latest entry has me seriously wondering about the health of the company going forward after the pandemic.

You really have to wonder with supply chain shortages worldwide whether companies haven't been forced to cut corners in terms of the materials they are using.  I took a look at some recent press releases announcing a change in their five-year midterm plan that was initially announced in April 2018, but was recently changed this year, including a change in mission statement (always concerning).  See https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/en/press/6089?entry_id=5507.  See also https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/5_E4B8ADE69C9FE8A888E794BB_E.pdf.  Nothing immediately jumps out at me, although I did notice a much stronger focus on digital entertainment, and less of a focus on hardcopy toys.  The mission change was also primarily driven by COVID-19.  Again, makes you wonder if this isn't part of an overall strategy pivot away from toys into the digital domain, where perhaps the quality of toymaking will be sacrificed as less resources are devoted to it.  This is pure speculation, however.  Only time will tell.  And the analysis above suggests that their plans on steadily rolling back materials in HMR releases has been going on for some time.  

It would be interesting if this same analysis could be done with all the future releases that Bandai Naamco suddenly flooded the market with this past week.  It's too early to tell from product shots alone, but the materials don't seem up to snuff on those either.  The SDF-1 is especially concerning to me.  Again, it's a prototype, but the plastic seems cheap, off, like it was carved out of wood or something, and the panel lining is almost non-existent.  The detailing also seems to be missing.  I don't recall this ever happening with the DX Chogokins.  Those prototypes really popped, and perfectly summed up the line.  Again, we'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

I took a look at this in the packaging and was immediately struck by how cheap-looking it was.  Something you'd expect from a Hasbro knockoff, or even Hasbro, but definitely not Bandai.  Then again, as Lolicon pointed out, there's been a tendency to spotlight the mecha in the HMR series, and neglect the valkyries.  I strongly agree, but this latest entry has me seriously wondering about the health of the company going forward after the pandemic.

You really have to wonder with supply chain shortages worldwide whether companies haven't been forced to cut corners in terms of the materials they are using.  I took a look at some recent press releases announcing a change in their five-year midterm plan that was initially announced in April 2018, but was recently changed this year, including a change in mission statement (always concerning).  See https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/en/press/6089?entry_id=5507.  See also https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/5_E4B8ADE69C9FE8A888E794BB_E.pdf.  Nothing immediately jumps out at me, although I did notice a much stronger focus on digital entertainment, and less of a focus on hardcopy toys.  The mission change was also primarily driven by COVID-19.  Again, makes you wonder if this isn't part of an overall strategy pivot away from toys into the digital domain, where perhaps the quality of toymaking will be sacrificed as less resources are devoted to it.  This is pure speculation, however.  Only time will tell.  And the analysis above suggests that their plans on steadily rolling back materials in HMR releases has been going on for some time.  

It would be interesting if this same analysis could be done with all the future releases that Bandai Naamco suddenly flooded the market with this past week.  It's too early to tell from product shots alone, but the materials don't seem up to snuff on those either.  The SDF-1 is especially concerning to me.  Again, it's a prototype, but the plastic seems cheap, off, like it was carved out of wood or something, and the panel lining is almost non-existent.  The detailing also seems to be missing.  I don't recall this ever happening with the DX Chogokins.  Those prototypes really popped, and perfectly summed up the line.  Again, we'll see.

Or it might just be that Macross Zero still isn’t very popular. Anything we get is merely a blessing in Bandai’s eyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 x ¥16k = ¥48k (give or take) and not including additional fees @Angesdad
Edit: * Redid my math, original numbers was super inflated * 

So that means you better have a good chance in getting a big chunk of money from Max Millions or Lotto 6/49 to cover those expenses. :lol:

Edited by borgified
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

I regret having purchased two and I'd still need five more to recreate this awesome diorama? damn too cruel.:p

Not just having to buy 6 more, but you also need to PF up all of them too. You can do this 7 more times, right? :)

(Seriously still in awe of how good it looks even next to the actual PF version)

31388120_hmrvspf.jpg.dfbdea775215bf2f9d2341e4f9b783ea.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, borgified said:

3 x ¥16k = ¥48k (give or take) and not including additional fees @Angesdad
Edit: * Redid my math, original numbers was super inflated * 

So that means you better have a good chance in getting a big chunk of money from Max Millions or Lotto 6/49 to cover those expenses. :lol:

wrong math! there are seven 0S's in the featured diorama, I have two so five more! 5 x 16k is more than I can afford for sure.😁

 

Edited by Angesdad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Not just having to buy 6 more, but you also need to PF up all of them too. You can do this 7 more times, right? :)

(Seriously still in awe of how good it looks even next to the actual PF version)

31388120_hmrvspf.jpg.dfbdea775215bf2f9d2341e4f9b783ea.jpg

Damn @Lolicon, I don't know about you but I regret buying even two of them (you know why) and there's no way I am going through "the ordeal" ever again!...well unless Bandaisan releases 1D.😁 I did use Arcadia PF as a reference...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Or it might just be that Macross Zero still isn’t very popular. Anything we get is merely a blessing in Bandai’s eyes.

Not sure.  HMR line has always been a rehearsal for DX Chogokins in my mind, so it's odd that they didn't plan a more comprehensive figure.  Especially if they're using it as a dry run for something better.  But hey, all of this is speculation.  What does concern me is the SDF-1 (wooden looking), and some of the other mecha prototypes in the HMR line.  The diecast doesn't seem to be coming through on those either.  Not all related to the VF-0D.  But I'm repeating myself...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, MacrossMania said:

I took a look at this in the packaging and was immediately struck by how cheap-looking it was.  Something you'd expect from a Hasbro knockoff, or even Hasbro, but definitely not Bandai.  Then again, as Lolicon pointed out, there's been a tendency to spotlight the mecha in the HMR series, and neglect the valkyries.  I strongly agree, but this latest entry has me seriously wondering about the health of the company going forward after the pandemic.

 

I can understand the sentiment of how looks cheap it looks, and it will be initially bolstered somewhat when taking it out of the packaging because of how light it feels relative to its size. This is especially when compared to the non-transforming mecha in the rest of HMR line. We do not have to look across at other HMR IPs, but in the Destroids line itself and the differences in heft is just night and day. But once you handle it with more time & transform this VF-0S, your opinions might change as it did mine because of other factors.

Today I transformed it to Fighter, and just.. wow! The fit and tolerances are just phenomenal, everything lines up and tabs up perfectly, there's minimal gaps as can be expected, and there's NO freeplay anywhere. I daresay it surpasses the Arcadia VF-0 mold in this regard, which does have one or two loose areas, and definitely any of Bandai's own current Chogokin releases (looking at you 31AX!).

This qualitative aspect is hard to convey, the best I can explain is that it has the more toy-like plastic flex of a typical Bandai Chogokin in Battroid, but the fit and tolerances of the best of Arcadia molds (VF-1!) in Fighter. This is quite an achievement at this small 1/100 scale.

As mentioned before, despite the weight the plastics are strong, and the grey parts within the chest and neck although looking very thin appear to be made of POM. This is similar to what Yamato used for their old 1/15 Motoslaves, which has fair bit of small plastic parts, but because of POM material they don't feel fragile and till today haven't heard of any much breakage issues.

It is also a pleasant surprise to find that unlike the HMR VF-1, the missiles can be individually separated from the tree (I know @Angesdad posted a pic earlier of them being worked on individually, it just didn't hit me then). Again, as testament to the tolerances, the missiles fit beautifully to their trees and the trees to the wing mounting slots.

 

1921876993_HMRVF-0SFighterNRM2nt.JPG.13262ee15408eeef3863a77692c3c2b3.JPG

 

 412836773_HMRVF-0SFighterfrontNRM2nt.JPG.423e39306447d2da3577afceaba1fc29.JPG

 

 

Edited by MKT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Still way overpriced at $160+. I'd be more forgiving if the toy was actually, you know, finished. 

I don't disagree, $160 stateside is really overpriced. Fortunately, it can be had much lower from JP stores. I only hope whatever mark-ups Bandai US is imposing does not become the new standard for JP prices later on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Still way overpriced at $160+. I'd be more forgiving if the toy was actually, you know, finished. 

You've made it pretty clear you don't like it. Other people do. It's not an unfinished toy since no other HMR toy has the kind of finishing you are asking for. That's just how they are.

This one is more expensive, but many things are these days, and most of the joints on this one are metallic.

I think it's a great figure and I'm happy they've announced the VF-0D. I'll continue to support this line.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Angesdad said:

Damn @Lolicon, I don't know about you but I regret buying even two of them (you know why) and there's no way I am going through "the ordeal" ever again!...well unless Bandaisan releases 1D.😁 I did use Arcadia PF as a reference...

I said the same thing after fixing up the VF-4. Never again with the ordeal!

 

5 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

You've made it pretty clear you don't like it. Other people do. It's not an unfinished toy since no other HMR toy has the kind of finishing you are asking for. That's just how they are.

This one is more expensive, but many things are these days, and most of the joints on this one are metallic.

I think it's a great figure and I'm happy they've announced the VF-0D. I'll continue to support this line.

"That's just how they are" is not a good excuse for mediocrity and cheapness.

At the $160 overseas price, this thing is nearly as expensive as a DX VF-1. To say that it's nowhere near the same level of quality as the DX is an understatement.

So yeah, overpriced indeed.

Edited by Lolicon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...