Kitz Concept Robotech Toy Line

kajnrig

I would guess that KC can't get a license from BW which makes their product unlicensed goods in Japan... Someone may have thought that since it didn't say Macross it'd be okay to sell it but then realized that's not the case.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I wonder if that's a Harmony Gold issue, or something else. Either way, shame for HLJ, but good that you were able to find it at a better price. I'd highly recommend buying directly from KC directly, esp since shipping is free and most of their SD valks are on sale for better prices than you'll pay through an online retailer.

Almost certainly a legal issue involving the limitations on Harmony Gold's license.

The Robotech brand can't legally market any merchandise based on the original three shows in Japan, because the Japanese domestic market is specifically excluded from the scope of their rights under license.  It'd be treated as bootleg merchandise if sold in Japan.

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I wonder if that's a Harmony Gold issue, or something else.

I'd pr'ly call it a Bandai issue(which company is likely to be complaining about toys imported to Japan?), but it is almost certainly due to "the Robotech problem".

Edited by JB0

23 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

anyone actually get that minmei speaker?

If ever, let's just hope that nobody is ashamed to post it here. You can be the first one if you want. :ph34r:

Edited by no3Ljm

7 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

anyone actually get that minmei speaker?

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

If ever, let's just hope that nobody is ashamed to post it here. You can be the first one if you want. :ph34r:

I've gotten it for about a month now. I know.. I really shouldn't support the Robotech license... but still, I kinda wanted one.

It's actually not bad. A bit like those Star Wars Marching speakers. 

You can link several up to dance together too if you'd like.

If you guys wanna know anything, I can try to answer them when I get off work.

Ugly???!  They're adorable. I'm expecting my Max Sterling w/ FAST Packs version any day now; it'll be my first SD VF-1 and I'm pretty excited to fiddle with it. I'm not plussed about helping HG, but then again, I've bought a few Toynami products over the years. I still think their Legioss has the best sculpt, even if the quality is iffy at best. At least reports of the KC's VF-1s have been positive. If you'd be so kind Stampeed, I'd be interested in your impressions of the toys. 

15 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Ugly???!  They're adorable. I'm expecting my Max Sterling w/ FAST Packs version any day now; it'll be my first SD VF-1 and I'm pretty excited to fiddle with it. I'm not plussed about helping HG, but then again, I've bought a few Toynami products over the years. I still think their Legioss has the best sculpt, even if the quality is iffy at best. At least reports of the KC's VF-1s have been positive. If you'd be so kind Stampeed, I'd be interested in your impressions of the toys. 

Sure...  once I get a chance to actually open them up and tinker with them.    I just ordered  the CF 1A with super packs which is the only one I didn't have,   so I like them enough already to get all of them.     

I just got another packaged from HK today.. should be the Super Max 1J and Kakazaki's 1A

On a side note... why is it faster to get an item from HK.. then getting an item from BBTS?   I don't really order from BBTS so maybe this is not the norm.. but seriously?  They are in the USA.. and it's been 2 weeks!

Mine shipped this past Sunday from HK and it's due to arrive on Tuesday, so a little over a week, and I chose the faster of the two shipping methods KC offered, since shipping was free either way. Moreover, I live in WA, so it doesn't usually take too long for packages to get here by USPS once they clear customs in CA. I'm actually surprised it's taking this long, honestly; I had expected it to come yesterday, until I checked tracking. 

I've ordered a few things from BBTS in the past, and I can't remember its taking that long for packages to reach me; then again, it's been awhile, and I do more business with TFSource, who are based in Vegas. BBTS are based in Wisconsin, so location may play a factor, as well as, as Jenius mentioned, shipping method.

Since I need to vent... I have a packaged that has been in Los Angeles customs now for 9 days without an update. I've bought lots of little stuff from Japan lately, this is the one thing that has any value to it and of course it gets stuck in customs no man's land while all the little other boxes keep showing up ahead of it :(. 

I have all my KC SD VF-1s in my pile of loot at BBTS waiting for the Calibre Wings VF-1 to come in to ship. Since I've already reviewed the SD VF-1S/J and Super parts I'm in no rush.

And my 2nd HK order beats out BBTS..     Max Super 1J and Kakazaki TV 1A.

I haven't opened them all up just the Max Super 1J..  and I am impressed with what I see at this point.    I don't care that Robotech is on the box, and I think these guys may have just one upped the Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia toys just by trying something new.     One of the things I just noticed is that KC sent me baggies of mini UMM-7 missle pods that are not in any of the pictures.. so I can change the hard points from AMM-1, and RMS-1,  or any load out I wish.   The little pilots on the inside stand out, and the light up gimmick is silly but not a detraction..    Bonus since I got all of them for less then the cost of an Arcadia 1/60 valk.

Rob

Optimized-20180127_181840.jpg

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie
added pic

How was the build on this things? And true I guess, since it's heavily discounted on their site, you can complete the set for less than what Arcadia asks for a single Valk. But I wonder why it's so heavily discounted? :rolleyes: 

32 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

And my 2nd HK order beats out BBTS..     Max Super 1J and Kakazaki TV 1A.

I haven't opened them all up just the Max Super 1J..  and I am impressed with what I see at this point.    I don't care that Robotech is on the box, and I think these guys may have just one upped the Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia toys just by trying something new.     One of the things I just noticed is that KC sent me baggies of mini UMM-7 missle pods that are not in any of the pictures.. so I can change the hard points from AMM-1, and RMS-1,  or any load out I wish.   The little pilots on the inside stand out, and the light up gimmick is silly but not a detraction..    Bonus since I got all of them for less then the cost of an Arcadia 1/60 valk.

Rob

Optimized-20180127_181840.jpg

27 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

How was the build on this things? And true I guess, since it's heavily discounted on their site, you can complete the set for less than what Arcadia asks for a single Valk. But I wonder why it's so heavily discounted? :rolleyes: 

Good Question...   The build quality from what I have seen with the Super Max 1J puts it on par with the Hi-Metal R valks.

Diecast content is in the legs, and chest area.. swing bars are diecast.   Height is about 5 inches without fast packs and about 6-6.5 inches with fast packs.

Things worth noting..  2 heads.. one for transformation purposes,  one for Battroid..  In Battroid there are gap pieces.. chest area and neck and shoulders that need to be removed for transformation..  I do not believe they serve any other purpose other then in Battroid mode.     Head lights up..  Gunpod lights up..  Fast pack boosters light up both via the thrusters, and when missles are inserted the missles light up.      Panels do come off on the fast packs.. and while not as detailed as my 1/48s they look pretty good. 

I also like the Panel lining which is already pre-done.  

I like the fact that I can order the whole set.. for less then an Arcadia 1/60 from the HK site currently.     I have nothing against the Arcadia line.. I just can't justify a car payment for 2 valks..  I specifically got out of Macross collecting 15+ years ago because of pricing.   The Hi Metal-R bug hit me mostly because the cost was reasonable again and they looked damn cool..  

I would say fit and finish is a good way below HMR levels. These things are cute, and do battroid really well, but you're not going to confuse them for a Bandai it Arcadia product. Price is good though, it might owe to them having a much cheaper license and also that this started off as a knock off so they might have been able to buy the molds cheap.

Edited by jenius

Honestly, for what's really more of a novelty figure, I'm not expecting the quality of a Bandai or Arcadia valk, or even HM. For the price, though, these are some nice toys; the use of die-cast is appropriate for balance and strength, the panel lining is a great addition, as well as all the accessories, not to mention it has the best sculpt of all the SD VF-1s I've seen over the years (granted I've never handled any of them). Moreover, I doubt anyone is buying these for their collectability;); I may be wrong, but this sort of thing just doesn't seem to fall into that niche. These things are made to be played with, as just by their very nature, they're cute and fun, and beg to be messed with. I know I'm kinda excited for mine to arrive, supposedly Tuesday, so just a couple more days. Robotech or no, pretty sure I'm gonna love it.

Edited by M'Kyuun

... And BBTS finally shows up!  

Looks like I still need to locate a 1S for Fokker... this one is clearly labeled Rick Hunter and the little pilot inside is painted in Hikaru's TV Helmet scheme.

Also interesting to note that the Fast packs are not bundled together in the box like M&M.

Optimized-20180129_180736.jpg

Got my Max Sterling today- pretty much what I expected- a little floppy in fighter, esp with FAST Packs, but overall a pretty neat little figure. The kneecap covers on mine are really tight, making GERWALK a little challenging. Fortunately, they're made from a soft rubbery plastic. To get a nose down look, I finally had to untab the intakes from the frame and just pose him. The ball joints are tight, so it holds a pose well. I wish they'd made a way to tab the arms in fighter, but with the gunpod pegged in, they stay in place pretty well.

Anyway, for it's few flaws, looks, presentation, details, and overall articulation on an SD figure are really well done IMHO. KC also included a set of four of the boxy rocket launchers in a separate little ziplock. The overall loadout for this little guy is pretty impressive if you get the FAST Packs. Glad I did as they're done really well, and as Stampeed mentioned, they have removable covers revealing some nice painted engine detail. To me, on a figure like this, that's the extra mile.

So, really pleased with it. :wub: Wish I'd scored a VF-1S, but I'm happy with the one I do have. Recommended if you like SD valks.

I hope these guys do an SD Legioss, and perhaps a 1/72. My Toynami looks nice, but I dare not touch it for fear of something crumbling.

Edited by M'Kyuun

I reached out to Kitz Concept support to see if I could locate a Fokker 1S since the 2ndary market has them going for $200 plus (HAHA... no).   According to them they are bringing out more Fokker 1S SD valks later this year and to keep my eyes open..    I also got them to add just the super packs to their site.. :)

.... and I just ordered 4 sets...

update

11 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Stampeed Valkyrie, for a guy who thinks they're "ugly", you're amassing a nice little collection of these things.:D   

Seriously.. these ugly chunky beasties are pretty neat.    I have several HCM versions from the 80's  and I enjoyed those as well.   $10 says others are grabbing these as well and just ashamed to admit it because "Robotech" is on the box.... bah

.. not to mention you can get a good collection of them and not need to mortgage your house... <_<

I need no convincing, even with the names Harmony Gold and Robotech on the box. I like SD planes, and to find a VF-1 done this well is great, regardless of its associations. The price is nice, too.  But, like most transforming toys, there's something satisfying in transitioning from mode to mode, and I think they did a really good job with the engineering overall. It's not perfect- I wish the feet had more fore-aft movement, b/c the articulation is done well enough that this thing could assume some pretty dynamic poses if not for its limitations. I already mentioned how tight the kneecaps are, and it would have been wonderful had they found a way to squeeze some retractable gear in there. But it still does some cool stuff for a super deformed transformable toy. I'm really pleased with it, and I have to admit feeling a little giddy the first time I strapped on the packs and mounted it on the stand. It fits perfectly, and just looks great. :wub:

@M'Kyuun   yes very good point.. landing gear!  that is probably the only drawback I can see about these guys..  even if they couldn't fit retractable gear in there.. some peg in options would work as well..    At least make it easier to display in fighter mode.

I'm a sucker for SD stuff and I'm a fan of these (but only at the sale price I paid on KC's website). These are not worth over $50usd each IMHO. Decent metal content although some is in unnecessary areas just to have it while some is well thought out like the area towards rear that the backpack hinges on. My only three criticisms are MSRP is crazy, lack of landing gear and my biggest criticism being the arm articulation being very restricted. You cannot even point the arm straight forward nor straight down at sides. I also feel like the fighter mode is kinda odd/awkward looking as opposed to squat or cute like the original JMs. That aside they are decent toys and scratch my SD Valk itch well. Much bigger than I had anticipated also. If you've got the Master Made Makuros SDF-1 they jive very well with it. And if you don't have the Makuros I just found a duplicate MIB in storage that I'll be posting for sale in next few days along with a few other items lol

1 hour ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

I'm a sucker for SD stuff and I'm a fan of these (but only at the sale price I paid on KC's website). These are not worth over $50usd each IMHO. Decent metal content although some is in unnecessary areas just to have it while some is well thought out like the area towards rear that the backpack hinges on. My only three criticisms are MSRP is crazy, lack of landing gear and my biggest criticism being the arm articulation being very restricted. You cannot even point the arm straight forward nor straight down at sides. I also feel like the fighter mode is kinda odd/awkward looking as opposed to squat or cute like the original JMs. That aside they are decent toys and scratch my SD Valk itch well. Much bigger than I had anticipated also. If you've got the Master Made Makuros SDF-1 they jive very well with it. And if you don't have the Makuros I just found a duplicate MIB in storage that I'll be posting for sale in next few days along with a few other items lol

By any chance, do you have some pic for both MM Makuros beside a KC SD VF-1's? Just curious to see how they look together. If they're good together I might consider getting one of these SD VF-1's to display it with. Thanks! ;) 

54 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

By any chance, do you have some pic for both MM Makuros beside a KC SD VF-1's? Just curious to see how they look together. If they're good together I might consider getting one of these SD VF-1's to display it with. Thanks! ;) 

Sure. I'll take one tonight after work