Mission 23: Scarred Requiem  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive ( Finally taking a bite out of the apple farm )
    • Neutral
    • Negative ( Isn't this trainwreck over yet? )

Welcome to the Macross Delta Episode 23 Talkback Thread

Guidelines:

• Macross Delta episode file requests, file offers or any audio/video sharing links of any kind or format are not permitted anywhere on the forum except by Boinger in the iMacross thread. This is 2016, not 2007. They know about us and how the 'Net operates now. This includes, but is not limited to BitTorrent files/links, YouTube, Nico, related video-sharing or video streaming site links, File sharing links, full audio soundtracks, etc.. Any user-post in violation of this rule will be deleted without notice. Repeated offenses may result in a ban. DISCUSSION ONLY. Send a PM to Boinger with a link to the file to be added to iMacross.
  • This thread only covers the episode listed in the subject. Do not post comments about another episode not covered by this thread. (i.e. References are OK, but do not post a critique about episode 1 when this thread covers episode 999).
  • This thread(s) is about current episodes only. Please reserve mecha talk and news talk for their respective threads. Do not cross-post.
  • Please reserve all talk about future episode spoilers for the News thread.
  • Do not ask when an episode will be aired or released (this includes fansubs).

Raw files will be release shortly after broadcast. Subtitled versions will be released when they are ready.

• Please use spoiler tags for the first 24-hours after an episode airs. There will be consequences if you don't
New episode threads and polls opens Sundays, 9:00AM EST/6:00AM PST (22:00, i.e. 10:00PM JST), 30 minutes BEFORE the broadcast.

Broadcast schedule:

Sunday: Tokyo MX, 22:30 JST

Monday: TVQ Kyushu, 26:30 (2:30 AM) JST

Tuesday: MBS, 27:00 (3:00 AM) JST / BS11, 24:00 (midnight) JST

Wednesday: d anime store, 12:00 JST / TV Aichi & Television Hokkaido, 26:05 (2:05 AM) JST

(Broadcast times subject to change, Check listings.)

Freyja and Mirage know of each other's feelings for Hayate but is interrupted. Shy Mikumo is cute and is teasing material for Makina and Reina. Arad brings Kaname to an old NUNS facility.

Freya, Mirage and Hataye, and Mikumo get caught separately. Under Heinz orders he wants to meet them. Knights bring them to Scarfell. Laying the blame on Terrans. But they couldn't justify this war or their actions which they do not see as wrong. Bogue gets violent on Freyja for singing to the dead.Yeah he is still an a-hole. Especially when he found out Hayate is Wright's son. Apparently they don't know that Wright sole an MDE after meeting their knights. Helmann isn't enraged and tres to stop Bogue several times. Wonder if he knows something.

Roid has now Mikumo in his hands the so called Star Singer. He s aiming for his endgame using her. Course he didn't tell anybody about her.

Lots of talking while walking or riding or sitting having a picnic. Red Wolf's summary is pretty spot on. Muko-Muko seems to have a memory of Roid or at least a reaction when he captures her. I just don't understand how this infiltration episode works. None of it makes sense. I mean once again they fail and get captured. They're smaller than the Windermereans how do they think they will not be recognized. Why not use the HoloTech to disguise yourself? To me another meh episode.

only 3 more episode left, hardly believe these few finale episode's plot is what they originally planned for the movie after 13 episodes...

Freyja's DAP is from Hayate's father as expected, but making the other 3's infiltration like going picnic is just lunatic :p

Edited by CRYO

Lots of talking while walking or riding or sitting having a picnic. Red Wolf's summary is pretty spot on. Muko-Muko seems to have a memory of Roid or at least a reaction when he captures her. I just don't understand how this infiltration episode works. None of it makes sense. I mean once again they fail and get captured. They're smaller than the Windermereans how do they think they will not be recognized. Why not use the HoloTech to disguise yourself? To me another meh episode.

Maybe infiltration was not their first plan. They might just wanted to destroy the ruin at WIndermere as soon as possible while some of Windermere's force was at Randall.

But because of Cassim and one of the twin came after them and shot down Walkure' ship so they have to change their plan.

Maybe infiltration was not their first plan. They might just wanted to destroy the ruin at WIndermere as soon as possible while some of Windermere's force was at Randall.

But because of Cassim and one of the twin came after them and shot down Walkure' ship so they have to change their plan.

But why not disguise like Muko-Muko in first episode with HoloTech? Why have picnic first? :p

Waiting for subs before viewing/clicking----but any notable mecha action in this ep?

What is this "mecha action" you speak of? :p In Delta?

All these "infiltration" episodes remind me more of Scooby Doo than of Macross at this point. I keep on expecting for Roid to take of his mask and him being Hayate's dad or something.

Yeah, this became a vehicle for Walkure instead of Valkyries. I mean I have all their magazines and music they've released, so on that front Macross D has been successful. However, as a show itself not so much. Anyway, the worst I hate about this is the wasted love triangle on poor Mirage as I felt she should be standing on her own two feet. Instead she is pining over Hayate. At this point Freya has more spirit or even Ranka, than her. Ah, well almost over now...

All right! In the interest of honesty and in acknowledgement of the show's horrendous track record, I'm not going to pretend I have any anticipation for this new episode... so, instead, we'll settle in for another date with Delta Disappointment and spend 24 minutes wishing we were watching something else.

So we open on Mirage, Hayate, and Freyja trekking through a dark, snowy forest on Windermere with no obvious goal or purpose other than to get their dumb asses caught.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that those searchlights on the Draken III's don't seem to have any actual source? It's just a beam of light hovering in the vicinity of the fighter... talk about sloppy animation.

I love how they're saving on money this time by having these scenes be pan shots over a still frame where every speaker's mouth isn't visible. You can really feel the production value.

Then we're into the opening, Absolute Zero Theta Novatic, which is a song that really should be in a much better show... maybe that's why everyone in the OP looks depressed.

Why is Windermere's army using H&K G36 rifles? Also, these motorcycles Mikumo and Makina are riding are hideous.

Are even the guys now wearing press-on nails with built-in radios? It still seems like a goofy idea, but at least it's unisex goofiness. I love how half-assed the infiltration plan is this time... the fake runes they've got look like they stapled Lucky Charms marshmellows to their hair. These people SUCK at infiltration. Wouldn't the inability of their runes to move or light up kind of give the game away immediately?

Freyja leads the party into a cave to avoid detection, and we get kiddie Freyja doing a cover of Interstellar Flight... looks like she's a Ranka fan. Poor Ranka, Freyja's a much better character.

Hey, there's the first modern-looking building we've seen on Windermere. It's the New UN Forces base, apparently long-abandoned! Looks like Arad decided he'd rather exposit and reminisce instead of doing his phony baloney job. No worse, I suppose, than the other three morons deciding to have a f***ing picnic in the middle of an infiltration op. What a shame Windermere doesn't have any bears.

We get a brief candid moment between Freyja and Mirage, for all the good it'll do... because they're interrupted by our boy Bogue, the only one who realizes how lame this has become. The twins found Mikumo and the fanservice duo... and apparently called in some Aerial Knights in wingsuits for no clear reason? Why does Mikumo apparently know kung fu? Doesn't matter, her dumb ass is caught. Bogue's a hell of a shot though, carving a perfect circle around the main trio with a rapid fire railgun.

Oooo... someone finally rumbled to the fact that Hayate's dad nuked Carlyle... I can hardly blame Bogue for losing his crap and trying to lop Hayate's head off. Being told to keep the son of a mass murderer alive and unharmed must really chafe their sense of honor, warped though it is. Hermann seems pretty relaxed as always though. Pretty sadistic of Roid to show Hayate where the dimension eater went off, though... and Hayate's not much better, inviting Freyja to sing for the dead there when the Windermereans regard her songs as offensive on a good day. He's lucky Hermann's there to stop Bogue from making him one head shorter.

(Honestly, I'd love to see Bogue and Mirage just rip into each other for an entire episode... those two seem like they'd devolve into some petty name-calling pretty fast.)

They have Wright's VF-22S on display in the palace? THAT'S kind of morbid too...made worse by going from a doom-and-gloom ending to an ED with a bouncy, upbeat song. Mood whiplash!

This was actually a mild improvement over the shoddy mess that was 19 and 20, but it still feels like Macross Delta's producers are desperately rummaging around in the show's toybox for something to show us.

Trying to humanize Mikumo NOW is a waste of time. It should've been done half a series ago, and falls flat now that she's Ms. McGuffin.

So I'm going to have to tender a negative vote again, but with less venom this time.

Yeah, this became a vehicle for Walkure instead of Valkyries. I mean I have all their magazines and music they've released, so on that front Macross D has been successful. However, as a show itself not so much. Anyway, the worst I hate about this is the wasted love triangle on poor Mirage as I felt she should be standing on her own two feet. Instead she is pining over Hayate. At this point Freya has more spirit or even Ranka, than her. Ah, well almost over now...

I wouldn't say wasted as much as a "Forced" love triangle.. there is essentially no chemistry between these characters. Frankly I'd rather see something happen between Boobs & Moody at this point! (aka Makina & Reina) LOL

if the point is to blow up the protoculture structure, wouldn't it have been simpler to have the VF go straight in with some micro-missiles... I seem to recall ketchup boy has to sing or something for the barrier to be active, or for that matter, just drop another MDE on it.

but that removes the need for a tactical sound squad if such a thing would work

My only hope is that this will have an epic end with Elysion vs SV, but that hope is just fading fast right now. Whatever you might want to say about Macross F, episode 25 was pretty good, even with some reused animation, the Galaxy vs Frontier fight was pretty decent. They even threw in some ghosts for flavoring... I just don't see an epic fight with Elysion, just as well I suppose, even if there was one, there has been no build up at all, it'll feel flat, but on the plus side, no more Ernie. And dammit, I'm still waiting for Bert.

Ok, now that I think about it (that's quick-viewing for ya)

Wouldn't EX-Gears be more useful than motorcycles??

And when the hell did Kumo-kumo learn CQC moves?

Also, who knew Aerial Knight uniforms had air slits for wing suits. Wait, do they?

I'll probably tender a thumbs down when I do my sit-down viewing.

I'm really not sure what I just watched... Maybe I'll be merely disapointed when subs come out..... My instincts tell me my blood will boil. Nothing the protagonists did had any place this late and in this situation.

Why the he'll didn't Reina and Freyja sit in Makina and Mikumos laps so we could all stick with the VF-31's!?!?!?!

Edited by Ghostbear0

Ok, now that I think about it (that's quick-viewing for ya)

Wouldn't EX-Gears be more useful than motorcycles??

Sure. But makes more sense to cover terrain using enemy vehicles. Then again, they brought some there in the shuttle, or did they stole those in place?

[Edit]: Not enemy vehicles, but civilian vehicles, supposed to be common. Noticed it was Hayate model reuse.

Bonus: my (not serious) proposal for triangle resolution is Mirage finding passion in Bogue, Prince Ketchup falls in love with Freya at first sight and she dumps Hayate when she realizes she could die old before him making a first move. Hayate have a tantrum after being dumped twice and Kumo-Kumo discovers she has a thing for immature types for no apparent reason.

Edited by Aries Turner

At least we know Roid has stock in Ray Bans in the dozens...

Just watched in on YT withOUT subs. Obviously I don't speak it but I guess the MDE emphasis has been intended to be references, in MD's story, to Little Boy & Big Boy's detonations in WWII?

Edited by TehPW

At least we know Roid has stock in Ray Bans in the dozens...

Fer Heaven's sake...

He's a walking LensCrafters™ ad. If this show ever had a problem with finance, just show Roid with a ™ designer-frame in each episode.

That's too bad. I guess that means no Bogue or Hermann flashback episodes.

Wouldn't make a difference at this point.

Honestly I was cheering for either Roid or Hayete to throw Bogues ass over the cliff!! Be really honest this series would have redeemed itself just a bit if Keith had shot Bogue while saying "Never harm a woman", I would have been pleased with that.

Edited by 505thAirborne

Wouldn't make a difference at this point.

Honestly I was cheering for either Roid or Hayete to throw Bogues ass over the cliff!! Be really honest this series would have redeemed itself just a bit if Keith had shot Bogue while saying "Never harm a woman", I would have been pleased with that.

Then that would have been made Keith even more of a hypocrite since he was gonna lob off Freyja's head back in episode 7 or 8.