I've seen everyone of them at the theater.....good or bad, I'll do the same for this "last" Indy ride....wow...hard to believe it's been 40+ years since this character was brought to life by Lucas and Spielberg...

Wonder what "new" franchises that started within the last decade or so will still be around 30 years from now?  

Someway, somehow, Raiders is playing at my local theater. They wouldn't show ROTJ, but they'll show Raider's of the lost ark....go figure. Now, I do remember seeing The Last Crusade cause I was I think 6 or 7...and of course I did go and see Crystal Skull which I will continue to deny ever was an indy film. But the biggest memory for me was when you went to Mcdonalds and you purchased like a meal or something you could get the VHS tapes....I think we had to go as a family and purchase each video individually though. But we went home and we all watched the movies while having dinner. Those were actually fun times I think.

I never saw Raiders at the movies, it was actually the first move I ever watched on videotape (Betamax no less).  Even though the home movie watching experience is now better then any theater experience (besides Imax) I may still go to the theater to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Derp answer on why Short Round is not in the new film. Complete lack of vision!!

Why Ke Huy Quan’s Short Round Isn’t in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

https://www.ign.com/articles/why-ke-huy-quans-short-round-isnt-in-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny

I used to think a spin off movie or short series would be funny having him as an adult scamming would be adventurers 

I've never seen the 2nd move the entire way through (that opening song and dance number was excruciatingly painful so I turned it off) and what's her name's acting was painful too.  Perhaps I suffer through it to see Short Round some more (caught a couple seconds of him driving, I think that was him).  He would make a good character to bring back for the next film (or series, etc...)

1 minute ago, mechaninac said:
  Hide contents

Do not watch unless you don't care about spoilerish content.  The verdict by Chris Gore was brutally honest and paints this movie as utter garbage.

I was already planning on staying away. I may see it for free if I hear from the right people, but I’m just gonna take the happy ending from Crystal Skull at this point even though I don’t think they should have gone beyond Last Crusade.

19 hours ago, Big s said:

I was already planning on staying away. I may see it for free if I hear from the right people, but I’m just gonna take the happy ending from Crystal Skull at this point even though I don’t think they should have gone beyond Last Crusade.

You really can't get a much better ending than watching the heroes literally riding off together into the sunset.

46 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

You really can't get a much better ending than watching the heroes literally riding off together into the sunset.

Yeah, that was a good ending. It left your imagination thinking this guy could have adventure after adventure without there being a continuation. Or he could’ve retired and lived a great life, it was open ended but perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

The following video's title is admittedly click-bait-y, but I found it to be a pretty good analysis of just why, not only Indy 5, but so many modern super expensive movies, are almost destined to flop, or at best break even or make middling profits in their theatrical runs.  The bloated price tags alone create hard hills to climb towards profitability, then you take the mediocrity, for whatever reasons, and he goes over many... which tend to drive away audiences, of so much of this content into account and instead of a hill to climb, they get a hill to die on.  Agree or disagree with the breakdown is rather moot; the box office numbers, as related to all the costs associated with these productions, speak for themselves and spell a coming reassessment of how these sausages are made.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, mechaninac said:

The following video's title is admittedly click-bait-y, but I found it to be a pretty good analysis of just why, not only Indy 5, but so many modern super expensive movies, are almost destined to flop, or at best break even or make middling profits in their theatrical runs.  The bloated price tags alone create hard hills to climb towards profitability, then you take the mediocrity, for whatever reasons, and he goes over many... which tend to drive away audiences, of so much of this content into account and instead of a hill to climb, they get a hill to die on.  Agree or disagree with the breakdown is rather moot; the box office numbers, as related to all the costs associated with these productions, speak for themselves and spell a coming reassessment of how these sausages are made.

Hide contents

Personally, I think the big problem is streaming. Why go to a movie that might be just ok and spend so much money, when you can see it easily at home. The movie has to be good to get people out of their homes, but if you know it’s only gonna be two or three months before it can be watched for an existing subscription price, then it makes it even tougher to get people to spend at the theater.

I love the theater experience for a good movie. And honestly, with fewer and fewer people going I can understand why some theaters think raising prices is the way to go. That doesn’t mean I think it will work.

Over saturation is also a major issue. When it’s only a couple big movies a year, then it’s easier for people to be excited even for smaller movies. But now we think of those smaller films as a non event and unfortunately just wait for streaming.

I do believe in the theater being the best way for viewing, but if they want our interest, they need better writing and a bit of originality. Top Gun did great, even though it was just a sequel. But that movie felt different than what is out currently. It’s mostly a smaller story even though it has big effects and found a way to make a sequel without angering its fan base and the same could be done with just about any franchise. The super hero doesn’t need to always save the world, maybe just the neighborhood once in a while. The Batman saved his city and that’s what people wanted, he didn’t need to run around a multiverse of madness. Spend time writing a good story and base the film around that.

Just got back from seeing it. Legitimately a good movie. Not a legacy sequel, not a recycling of Indiana Jones's greatest hits. More in line with Raiders in that it isn't as slapsticky as the other movies are. A tad long, maybe. Has some real emotion and a wonderful ending.

Where would I rank it? Not sure, but my stepmother loved it and said it was her new favorite Indy movie.

Edited by Duke Togo

I legitimately don't understand how it's only 67% on RT. I've been poking around some of the negative reviews and man, did they even see the same movie I did?

Edited by Duke Togo

40 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

If I see more posts like yours then I may go see it myself :)

I've been checking out more recent reviews this morning, and there's definitely a feeling (discussion) that the Cannes crowd sunk the rating score. It's gone up over 10 points with the recent non-Cannes reviews.

Edited by Duke Togo

Yeah.... NO!  This "thing" will most definitely earn its likely hundreds of millions of dollars loss at the theaters, and hopefully tank Lucasfilm for good in the process.  This is my personal opinion, of course, and more power to those who enjoy these movies -- why, I'll never fathom, but I'm not alone, as evidenced by the recent history of monumental flops from many studious that have embraced all these regressive post modernist tropes.

Spoiler

I've seen all the Indy movies on the big screen, this one will be no different...I have a long weekend, I'll try and catch a matinee at some point this weekend..or maybe just wait for Tuesday's AMC 5 dollar show.....

I'd say it's the end of an era, but I'm sure Disney will find a way to milk the franchise some more....maybe they need to make an all-new Indiana Jones ride at WDW to keep the IP in the public eye...

12 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I'd say it's the end of an era, but I'm sure Disney will find a way to milk the franchise some more

There’s even more talk going on about a show starring fleabag, so there’s definitely ideas in milking the franchise for a while. If the movie at least makes its money back, I’m sure they’ll more than likely go through with those ideas. I don’t know what they’ll do if the movie is a failure. Indy is one of those big names in franchise movies and like marvel and Star Wars, Disney probably will try to do something eventually as long as they own the property 

They already did Young Indiana Jones, so kinda hard to fill in any limited gaps.

But they could always milk Henry Jones, Sr.  Hire some young British or Scottish actor on the cheap, and pretty open as far as stories to fill.

$5 show?  boy the crappy matinees around here are $12.

I think I'll save my money, I saw Indy 4, and it was just disappointing to see a 60+ Ford in action, I don't want to see a 70+ Ford trying to eek out one last paycheck.  I prefer to remember my heroes as they were.  Like Indy in Last Crusade, McClain in Die Hard 2 or may be even 3, Arnold in T2....  none of the later stuff in the 00s and 10s where they were clearly out to milk the franchise for whatever it was worth.   Call me old fashioned, but I liked the action heroes from the last millennium,  they seem to have more drive even if they'd all be throwbacks and booed out of the mainstream for their attitude today.

I'd like to go see it, I've never turned down an indy movie even if it wasn't all that good....I just always liked Indiana Jones. Sadly though, finances have been tough after putting one cat down and the other having to get medical assistance himself for kidney issues. Which bummed me out, I've been racking hours at work like crazy after we let someone go and wanted to do some upgrades to my car!

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

$5 show?  boy the crappy matinees around here are $12.

I think I'll save my money, I saw Indy 4, and it was just disappointing to see a 60+ Ford in action, I don't want to see a 70+ Ford trying to eek out one last paycheck.  I prefer to remember my heroes as they were.  Like Indy in Last Crusade, McClain in Die Hard 2 or may be even 3, Arnold in T2....  none of the later stuff in the 00s and 10s where they were clearly out to milk the franchise for whatever it was worth.   Call me old fashioned, but I liked the action heroes from the last millennium,  they seem to have more drive even if they'd all be throwbacks and booed out of the mainstream for their attitude today.

The AMC "loyalty" promo offers 5 dollar shows every Tuesday, even for new releases.....I opted to just pay for the matinee today....the movie wasn't that good...I think someone jokingly said that this movie had the potential to make Krystal Skull look good and I think it actually did!  And that is saying ALOT!  

The movie was long and boring...moving from one dull chase scene to another until everyone somehow ends up just where they need to be at the climax of the movie.......nothing in the movie was ever over the top, like we are to expect from an Indiana Jones moview, not even one sigle scene, but I think that the filmakers were trying to do that on purpose to match Indy's age during this movie...but that isn't the Indy that was involved in any of the movies that are universally considered "Indy" movies.....and with that said...what's the point of making any more?  To setup the next Indy? They tried that with the last one and it backfired...third times the charm?  If so, then we may still have to endure one more...  No one in this movie, not even Harrison Ford, deserved to return for any more Indiana Jones movies.....they essentially just showed up for the paycheck......there is a line in the movie where Helena says something like, "the only thing that she believes in is cash"....and that basically sums up this movie...a terrible cash grab at the expense of the complete tear down of yet another film hero that we never would have thought would have ended in such a depressing and pointless way....what former action hero have they left to screw with?

7 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Whoever is in the next Expendables film, lol.

In the case of Lucasfilm, they're all out of IPs to ruin and legacy male heroes to Jake Skywalker; however, there's always exhuming those corpses and abusing them all over again, to ever diminishing returns... most fans are done.