18 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I'll go see it but I think they missed a YUGE opportunity by not including Ke Huy Quan (Short Round) in this film, especially after his return to stardom with Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Everything Everywhere All at Once came out after Dial of Destiny had wrapped filming. So, not exactly something they could have done.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

After Ke Huy Quan's big Oscar win this week it feels like a bigger miss than before that he wasn't added to the new Indy film.

How could they have known? They had already finished filming when Everything... came out.

People would be complaining if the movie turned out to be a cameo-fest. 

57 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

How could they have known? They had already finished filming when Everything... came out.

I'll be complaining about how much crap this movie is, less about the cameo-fest.

And I'm a defender of Crystal Skull*, so that should tell you how much faith I have in this film!

* Defender doesn't mean it was good.  It wasn't, but I place it on the same tier as Temple of Doom.

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

Cameo? I'd have Ke Huy Quan as part of the main cast. Oh well. I'm just saying it'd be cool if Short Round made a return.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Word out if Cannes is that it's a fine, well-made movie, but that it plays it too safe and ends up feeling like a recycling of Indiana Jones's greatest hits. Which, I'm fine with. Better than another Crystal Skull.

Word out if Cannes is that it's a fine, well-made movie, but that it plays it too safe and ends up feeling like a recycling of Indiana Jones's greatest hits. Which, I'm fine with. Better than another Crystal Skull.

I miss old style Indy type movies so I'm fine with it too.  We will see if the setup to hand off the franchise backfires this time too.  (I'm assuming Indy is not going to be recast but a son/daughter/student carries on the tradition)

Yeah, I can gain that from the trailers. Shame the stars weren't aligned to include SHORT ROUND in this film. Maybe a spin-off series perhaps?!?

If it plays well and is a fun movie, hearkening to those things that make Indy 'Indy,' then I'll be happy. And if this is a stepping stone to a hand off' to a new adventurer, then that would be great too. I did like the Crystal Skull and was a bit disappointed that they didn't continue it with LeBeouf - although seeing how he imploded it may not have been a bad thing after all...

23 minutes ago, Thom said:

If it plays well and is a fun movie, hearkening to those things that make Indy 'Indy,' then I'll be happy. And if this is a stepping stone to a hand off' to a new adventurer, then that would be great too. I did like the Crystal Skull and was a bit disappointed that they didn't continue it with LeBeouf - although seeing how he imploded it may not have been a bad thing after all...

While I think LeBeouf did okay as "Mutt" Williams, I don't believe he would have been a good candidate to take over the fedora from Ford. Nowadays, I'm wondering if like with James Bond, there aren't really any actors with the gravitas to handle being Indy.

Edited by pengbuzz

Reviews from the movie's premier at Cannes have started showing up in a lot of publications... let's just say that most are not kind, to downright brutal, even when couching their criticisms as much as possible.  General audiences might embrace the film once it hits theaters... anything is possible (maybe, international markets will ultimately save it), but all indications point to a trainwreck in the offing, especially given its estimated 300M production, with its multiple reshoots and overruns, budget.

@pengbuzz 'The gravitas of being Indy.' That's great!

42 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Reviews from the movie's premier at Cannes have started showing up in a lot of publications... let's just say that most are not kind, to downright brutal, even when couching their criticisms as much as possible.  General audiences might embrace the film once it hits theaters... anything is possible (maybe, international markets will ultimately save it), but all indications point to a trainwreck in the offing, especially given its estimated 300M production, with its multiple reshoots and overruns, budget.

You know, I really don't listen their opinions. Usually, what they like, I don't, and what I like, they don't. And I think far too many of them are listened to far more than they should be. 

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

You know, I really don't listen their opinions. Usually, what they like, I don't, and what I like, they don't. And I think far too many of them are listened to far more than they should be. 

The "negative" reviews out of Cannes seem mostly to be that the movie is predictable. It's a "legacy sequel" that recycles what has come before. I haven't read any reviews that it's poorly shot, poorly acted, or even poorly written. 

I expect it to settle around 65-70% on RT. Which is fine for me, but YMMV. My stepmother is a huge Indiana Jones fan, so I'll likely see it with her. But, it isn't some ultra-important genre film for me. I'd be more concerned if Dune Part 2 was getting some shade.

Edited by Duke Togo

Something else to keep in mind: reactions out of Cannes should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt. This movie could be far better--or worse--than we're seeing being reported. 

So true. I remember hearing people walking out of PULP FICTION way back then.

Edited by TangledThorns

2 hours ago, Thom said:

I don't give any credence to critics' opinions either; however, what I find funny and interesting is that these same publications invariably gush over everything coming out of Disney, more often than not standing in stark contrast to audience reviews, so to have these usually sycophantic shills throwing shade at this latest offering from Lucasfilm means something is up.  We'll find out if these early reviews were on the money or not by the second week of release... if BO receipts drop off a cliff like they did with Antman: Quantumania, or hold well like GotG Vol 3.

2 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

Something else to keep in mind: reactions out of Cannes should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt. This movie could be far better--or worse--than we're seeing being reported. 

More like with a block of salt and a belt sander...

6 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I miss old style Indy type movies so I'm fine with it too.  We will see if the setup to hand off the franchise backfires this time too.  (I'm assuming Indy is not going to be recast but a son/daughter/student carries on the tradition)

Supposedly Fleabag takes the hat. They were planning a series around her. From other things I’ve heard is that Mutt got killed offscreen after getting drafted. He didn’t really seem interested in another franchise character and has pretty much talked crap about his character in Indy. He likes doing hit and mostly miss art film type characters more these days, but maybe he’ll need some cash and come back somehow.

The one thing I know for sure is this is the first Indy movie that I just don’t feel excited for. There’s gotta be some really great word of mouth for me to care enough not to wait for it’s release on D+

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Oof. I'm gonna pass watching it in the theater. If anything this is a poor rating on James Mangold who is supposed to direct a STAR WARS movie. Kathleen ain't gonna like it if this new Indy film bombs 🤣

https://www.ign.com/articles/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review

IGN? Really? 🙄

IGN is usually pretty soft on movie reviews, so this isn’t a good sign. Then again it is a Disney movie and they’ve been kinda dropping the ball lately, so I’m pretty sure it’s another skippable movie 

34 minutes ago, Big s said:

...and with many saying it make’s Crystal Skull seem good...

That alone seems to be worth a shot for the price of a $5 AMC Tuesday ticket!  But I doubt anything could ever change my mind about that piece of shite movie! :lol:

1 hour ago, Thom said:

An yet no one here has seen it yet. Personally, I'll see it myself before deciding if it is good or not.

Unless you never agree with movie reviewers...it's a safe bet that those you do end up agreeing with are giving you a fair assessment before you even take your seat at the movie theater....once in a while I may end up enjoying a movie that has been universally disliked...but it's usually due to nostalgia....the Indy franchise definitely qualifies for a potential pass due to nostalgia, but for me, that did not work out with Crystal Skulls...so I do not have high hopes based on what has been written about it so far.....

Edited by jvmacross

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Unless you never agree with movie reviewers...it's a safe bet that those you do end up agreeing with are giving you a fair assessment before you even take your seat at the movie theater....once in a while I may end up enjoying a movie that has been universally disliked...but it's usually due to nostalgia....the Indy franchise definitely qualifies for a potential pass due to nostalgia, but for me, that did not work out with Crystal Skulls...so I do not have high hopes based on what has been written about it so far.....

Yeah, I ignore all of that. I'll watch the trailers, just enough not to be spoiled by too much but that's usually it until I see it for myself. And really not even after. There have been videos pointing out the supposed flaws of movies I've liked that I've ignored simply because I want to keep enjoying a movie for what it is, just entertainment.

One of the things reviews do, both good and bad, is to set preconceived notions. And if a reviewer is set upon showing all the bad* parts then that could be what people end up focusing on the most rather than just sitting in a chair and enjoying the show. Or just not going. But that's just my opinion.

*bad could be anything from writing to acting.

My stepmother loves Indiana Jones, so I'll be going to see this on release day with her and probably my father. I expected this to run 60-70% on RT and a month out it's at 50. That's whatever. Lowers my expectations, but I'm not overly concerned one way or the other. If I don't love it, my life will go on. 

Edited by Duke Togo

I’m not really too interested in it and like a lot of movies lately, I’ll wait till someone has something good to say about it. I’ve mentioned before that this is the first time I wasn’t excited about an Indy film and it really is unfortunate. A few years ago, I would’ve bought a ticket on nostalgia alone, but too many franchises have fizzled bad in the last couple years and it doesn’t help that this movie seems to just be copying those. It’s pulling the time travel/ multiverse gimmick, the everything went wrong in my life depressed main character gimmick and main character replacement gimmick that all pretty much doesn’t work for a franchise.

Those are  the gimmicks that are ruining DC, Marvel, Starwars and pretty much anything Lucas films. These companies need to try something new other than these annoyances