Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

5 hours ago, IXTL said:

Pre-order deadline will be on 22 May.

What was the deadline for the 31J parts? Seems like that was available for order on NY up to about a month before release? Is the deadline just for Bandai's shop and it will still be available at NY?

2 hours ago, anubis20 said:

I have an extra lil draken set on PO if anyone needs one ^_^

Tempted. Though the main reason I haven't ordered is the price, which I wouldn't expect you to lesson since it is new. Also I am not all that interested in the lil'Drakens... I more want the missile packs and the sword.

What is the price roughly in USD anyway?

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Google says Y8424 is $75.71.

Yikes... a bit higher than I hoped... especially when I'm not interested in the little planes, heh.

Am liking the display options with the lil draken stands. Buzzing around keith, or even acting as a shield b4 the snipe killshot thru the 31F canopy.
Get enough of it and you can have a mini squadron in v formation in front of the drakens...that is if your wallet can support it....

16 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

So lame, Bandai. :angry: Always has a way with 'clear support mechanism' as the last resort. This should've been thought out from the toy design phase. <_<

Not sure how long the swivel joint will hold if the Lil Drakens were left there in Gerwalk or Battroid modes. For sure, Bandai will make another lame 'clear support' for Gerwalk and Battroid modes.

Yup, my concern is on the swivel, not the fold.

Looks like the lil drakens are still available at NY so that 5/22 date was wrong or maybe by the end of the day they will stop. Seems odd considering how long all the other exclusive preorders stayed open but whatever the case I ordered mine just in case. Wanted to wait until the last min which should be months from now but at least it's out of the way along with the 31F parts I ordered together with it. 

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Looks like the lil drakens are still available at NY so that 5/22 date was wrong or maybe by the end of the day they will stop. Seems odd considering how long all the other exclusive preorders stayed open but whatever the case I ordered mine just in case. Wanted to wait until the last min which should be months from now but at least it's out of the way along with the 31F parts I ordered together with it. 

The deadline is correct, it is just that NY must have ordered a lot extra and let it stay open a longer. From my observation, the 31J super parts is still available to order a month before the release date.

40 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

The deadline is correct, it is just that NY must have ordered a lot extra and let it stay open a longer. From my observation, the 31J super parts is still available to order a month before the release date.

Yeah, the 31J armors, HMR missiles, Milia and most other ones I can think of all stayed open until about a month before release if I remember correctly. Anyways, not messing around and missing the preorder. 

13 minutes ago, Atheonyirh said:

Gotta be honest, I can't find a reason to be bothered by the clear support pieces.

I guess it comes down to personal preference but I simply don't like the fact that they needed to add a piece like that to counter a design deficiency that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

53 minutes ago, spanner said:

I guess it comes down to personal preference but I simply don't like the fact that they needed to add a piece like that to counter a design deficiency that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

+1. Ditto.

17 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Weird that they put such great foresight in the 31 design but not the sv-262.

yeah you can tell where the majority of the love went in to.. or more so the 262 design was a bit more adventurous to achieve perhaps? 

Pretty sad that they had alllll that unused surface down the front panel of the leg to secure the wing panels to, and they decided to go with a single tab on the one part of the entire wing that needs to move for the drones to mount. :rolleyes:

The models didn't even use a tab on the wing, they had locking pins up and down the full length of the shin.  The hinges also have an extra notch to pull the wingtips inwards past vertical so you can mount the drones while on the landing gear.

Course, the models are also pretty fragile, and the long panels holding the wings are especially prone to stress fractures, so they're both pretty mixed bags.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the YF-30 was their first try since it's so different (and was similarly well done I think), but they did seem to pretty much nail the design itself (for better or for worse, considering the "landing gear").  The execution of certain parts is still a little lackluster I think, but the overall design may be the best "first try" for any Macross design so far.

We're getting to the point where everything is designed in computers though, and you can get a nearly direct translation from screen to model/toy (if the engineers are willing to put forth any reasonable effort), so the problems with anime magic are kind of disappearing.  Now it's just a matter of how faithfully the physical version reflects the animated one.

What gets ugly is when the on-screen stuff is designed with no regard for whether a physical copy is even feasible, much less durable.  I don't know if official art exists for all the internal mechanisms of the 262, but the DX is an absolute monstrosity of itty-bitty hinges and pivots, all of variable tension, that are all supposed to move together and line up somehow.

It's a beautiful design, and I love it, but the engineering behind the 1/72 model is several orders of magnitude simpler, and just as effective.  Bandai's DX engineers just have an uncontrollable fetish for making everything with three or four times the number of pieces necessary to accomplish the design goal.

Edited by Chronocidal

24 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the YF-30 was their first try since it's so different (and was similarly well done I think), but they did seem to pretty much nail the design itself (for better or for worse, considering the "landing gear").  The execution of certain parts is still a little lackluster I think, but the overall design may be the best "first try" for any Macross design so far.

Don't forget the individual 'brackets' for Gerwalk and Battroid. ;)

No, the 30 was sloppy in my estimation.  The additional external brackets that the 31 easily incorporated is the real big one.  Though for a first try they did pretty well.  I think the 262 is worse, things are unnecessarily complicsted and they pretty much got Gerwalk mode wrong.

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

No, the 30 was sloppy in my estimation.  The additional external brackets that the 31 easily incorporated is the real big one.  Though for a first try they did pretty well.  I think the 262 is worse, things are unnecessarily complicsted and they pretty much got Gerwalk mode wrong.

How is gerwalk mode wrong? Not being facetious or sarcastic, i genuinely want to know.  

I don't know about "wrong" per se, but the massive mess of folding joints in holding the wings on doesn't put the wings in the proper place relative to the arms, if I recall. 

After building several of the 1/72 models and seeing how much simpler the design can be accomplished, I wish they would have copied it for the DX.  they even included locks for the shoulders into the torso in both gerwalk and battroid, which the DX just doesn't even attempt.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Elvis King version you meant ? Hell yeah, we need the white not white knight Draken before the green ones!

Yes sir! Roid's White Draken. I prefer that one for my 2nd Draken. And no plans on getting Pope Drakens. ^_^