1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I just did a quick spray of the canopy. 5 parts clear yellow, 1 part clear orange, and some tamiya thinner.

It's still wet, but here's how the tinting looks. It's pretty close to the original color minus the frosted metallic look.

20170127_002358.jpg

Nice job, MJ! Good to know that it can be stripped and repaint. ;)

45 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Yeah, you just lift it and pull and wiggle it right out.

That sounded a little dirty...

Thanks!  So did the alcohol strip the black as well?  I guess you painted that back in?  How about the forward piece, its all together with the red sensors, how did you remove that?

49 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks!  So did the alcohol strip the black as well?  I guess you painted that back in?  How about the forward piece, its all together with the red sensors, how did you remove that?

The alcohol will strip the black off as well. I was just very careful removing only the yellow, but I had to do some touch ups still. I haven't done the front piece yet, but I'm just going to use alcohol, cotton swabs, and twisted up paper towel pieces to get it off and then do any necessary touch ups.

41 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

The painted black stripes were on the inside or you have repainted them before applying the tint?

The black is on the outside. The whole outside is painted with that foggy yellow actually, and then they painted the dark grey/black frame over top. You can either soak it in alcohol and wipe the whole thing clean and repaint the frame or painstakingly remove the yellow. Using a fingernail or dulled down pencil tip with a small piece of alcohol soaked paper towel over the edge can help to get the yellow off the edge close to the frame.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I haven't picked up a Valkyrie for about 4 years, but I'm really thinking about picking this latest release up. I just started watching the show and the first episode was pretty painful. 

1 minute ago, Crimson9 said:

I haven't picked up a Valkyrie for about 4 years, but I'm really thinking about picking this latest release up. I just started watching the show and the first episode was pretty painful. 

If the first episode is already painful for you wait until you finish it. ^_^ 

But kidding aside, I agree that this latest Valkyrie design is just perfect for your needs after 4 years of not getting one. ;) 

9 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

The alcohol will strip the black off as well. I was just very careful removing only the yellow, but I had to do some touch ups still. I haven't done the front piece yet, but I'm just going to use alcohol, cotton swabs, and twisted up paper towel pieces to get it off and then do any necessary touch ups.

The black is on the outside. The whole outside is painted with that foggy yellow actually, and then they painted the dark grey/black frame over top. You can either soak it in alcohol and wipe the whole thing clean and repaint the frame or painstakingly remove the yellow. Using a fingernail or dulled down pencil tip with a small piece of alcohol soaked paper towel over the edge can help to get the yellow off the edge close to the frame.

Thanks!  Can't wait to see you're creation.

Well, here is how I did the forward section of the canopy if anyone wants to try. Please excuse the crap phone camera photos I've been taking.

The area is very small with hardly any room to work with for a cotton swab, so I masked it off as a precaution.20170127_124824.jpg

Carefully rubbed it off with the alcohol and cotton swabs.

20170127_130558.jpg

Sprayed it with the tinting and here we go.

20170127_135958.jpg

Now you can see inside like you should instead of it being like trying to look through a frosted church window.

The red sensor array is really foggy too and I think that's the next item on the list to wipe off and spray with a clear red.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

23 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

kind of want to do this because I don't like the yellow tint and I just want to make the canopy clear, but the front part looks scary.

It's definitely doable. Just have to take precautions to keep yourself from rubbing off the framing. Otherwise, you'll need to color match the dark gray and do touch ups.

8 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Very nice work MJ! So glad this is doable. Going to add the smoke to the front of the red sensor array on the nose too?

7 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Looks fantastic with the proper clear canopy!

Fricking Bandai and their outlandish design choices...

Are you going to look into a way to achieve the recessed look of the forward sensors?

Thanks! Without being able to take these darned things apart, I can't think of a way to properly give that recessed look. My previous attempt with putting a smoked tint didn't achieve the results I wanted, so I may just leave it be. It would just be like those 2d perspective drawings that only look right from a certain angle. Stupid Bandai for making it too hard to take these apart. Makes me wish they made a kit like Yamato did with the VF-1's.

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Well, here is how I did the forward section of the canopy if anyone wants to try. Please excuse the crap phone camera photos I've been taking.

The area is very small with hardly any room to work with for a cotton swab, so I masked it off as a precaution.20170127_124824.jpg

Carefully rubbed it off with the alcohol and cotton swabs.

20170127_130558.jpg

20170127_135958.jpg

Now you can see inside like you should instead of it being like trying to look through a frosted church window.

The red sensor array is really foggy too and I think that's the next item on the list to wipe off and spray with a clear red.

Wow that looks amazing!  Great work as always MJ.  So did you say after the alcohol rub that the canopy plastic was a bit milky?  So you dipped it in future... how about the front piece?  Did you spray a really thinned/wet Tamiya clear orange to get that tint?  I've never found that I could airbrush a satisfactory clear tint (always some pebbling) I always end up tinting a future mixture.  Did you just airbrush the Tamiya Clear orange straight on? 

Yes, the red sensors could be clearer too, I'm just afraid of the alcohol soaking through the Tamiya masking tape and ruining those tiny white warning tampo prints.

47 minutes ago, valhary said:

transformation guide for people don't want open the paper version

4549660062981.pdf

Thanks so much!!!  Unfortunately I already scanned every page - I love having the digital copy to transform with and I could leave my instructions packed away in the box.

7 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Wow that looks amazing!  Great work as always MJ.  So did you say after the alcohol rub that the canopy plastic was a bit milky?  So you dipped it in future... how about the front piece?  Did you spray a really thinned/wet Tamiya clear orange to get that tint?  I've never found that I could airbrush a satisfactory clear tint (always some pebbling) I always end up tinting a future mixture.  Did you just airbrush the Tamiya Clear orange straight on? 

Yes, the red sensors could be clearer too, I'm just afraid of the alcohol soaking through the Tamiya masking tape and ruining those tiny white warning tampo prints.

Thank you. Yes, the canopy was kind of milky and no amount of cleaning made any difference. It was just the plastic. Coating it with Future fixed it right up though.

The front piece wasn't milky like the canopy was. My tinting mixture was 5 drops clear yellow, 1 drop clear orange, 2 drops Future (for leveling and extra gloss) , and 2 drops of tamiya thinner. Sprayed at a low psi (approx 15psi).

When cleaning off with the alcohol, just make sure the swab is not soaking wet, but just damp so it doesn't soak through the tape or squeeze out of the swab.. It takes me about 15-20 min or so to get the tinting off from just carefully rubbing back and forth and changing swabs occasionally when the tips are caked with paint.

7 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Thank you. Yes, the canopy was kind of milky and no amount of cleaning made any difference. It was just the plastic. Coating it with Future fixed it right up though.

The front piece wasn't milky like the canopy was. My tinting mixture was 5 drops clear yellow, 1 drop clear orange, 2 drops Future (for leveling and extra gloss) , and 2 drops of tamiya thinner. Sprayed at a low psi (approx 15psi).

When cleaning off with the alcohol, just make sure the swab is not soaking wet, but just damp so it doesn't soak through the tape or squeeze out of the swab.. It takes me about 15-20 min or so to get the tinting off from just carefully rubbing back and forth and changing swabs occasionally when the tips are caked with paint.

Hey MJ, with the main canopy, did you coat it first with future, then spray the yellow/orange tint mixture (with future) or did you just spray the mixture already contiaining the 2 drops of future right on the milky plastic without a pre-prep amd the airbrushed mixture took care of the frosting?

I coated it to make sure it would become clear first, or else I'd have had to come up with another plan. Fortunately, it worked and so I just went ahead and tinted it sometime after. I wonder if the paint actually had metal particles that was causing micro-abrasions in the plastic when I was trying to get the yellow tint off. The Future coating would have filled in the abrasions in any case.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

7 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I coated it to make sure it would become clear first, or else I'd have had to come up with another plan. Fortunately, it worked and so I just went ahead and tinted it sometime after. I wonder if the paint actually had metal particles that was causing micro-abrasions in the plastic when I was trying to get the yellow tint off. The Future coating would have filled in the abrasions in any case.

But you didn't do that for the front part of the windscreen right?  So can we skip that part and just go straight to the tint/future mixture without pre-future before the tint?

12 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

The area is very small with hardly any room to work with for a cotton swab, so I masked it off as a precaution.Carefully rubbed it off with the alcohol and cotton swabs.

That's beautiful