9 minutes ago, spanner said:

Yes the canopy tinting to is overkill. Even if it was done half of what it is then it would have been a massive improvement. But the rear landing gear design bugs me a great deal more so what evs..

Yes, I hate the rear landing gear too, but since the stubby afterthought gears of the VF-25, I don't have any newer generation valkyries displayed with their gears down, they are all in flight, gerwalk or battroid mode (outta sight... outta mind!) The Macross Zero gears are fine, that's the last generation before the rear gears became an after-thought.

11 minutes ago, spanner said:

Yes the canopy tinting to is overkill. Even if it was done half of what it is then it would have been a massive improvement. But the rear landing gear design bugs me a great deal more so what evs..

That's why you need Super Parts on every VF-31J you have and for all your planned VF-31 future purchases.

Ka-Ching! ^_^

42 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Yes, I hate the rear landing gear too, but since the stubby afterthought gears of the VF-25, I don't have any newer generation valkyries displayed with their gears down, they are all in flight, gerwalk or battroid mode (outta sight... outta mind!) The Macross Zero gears are fine, that's the last generation before the rear gears became an after-thought.

I don't mind the landing gear on the VF-25 much at all actually, some of the best gear in my opinion are on the VF-19's! I love how they deploy then shift over to one side to lock! 

The VF-1 rear gear could have been better. If im not mistaken, when they deploy the wheels are meant to turn in the very same way the VF-31 do (and 21-22) but they don't.. that kinda sucks a little bit.

41 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That's why you need Super Parts on every VF-31J you have and for all your planned VF-31 future purchases.

Ka-Ching! ^_^

why is that exactly? do the super parts come with clear canopy replacement parts!?!? hehe! wishful thinking I know.. I would like to get more sets of the SS parts but I do need to try keep costs under some sort of control.. saying that after having bought another model car the other day! I do find it easier to justify spending a lot more on a whole Valkyrie than some add on parts. Heck im still thinking about maybe getting another set of SSP's but we'll see what happens.

What's interesting is that these companies solve a problem with locks or wheels or canopies or whatever, and then it seems they forget all about it, and screw it up again :)

19 minutes ago, spanner said:

why is that exactly? do the super parts come with clear canopy replacement parts!?!? hehe! wishful thinking I know.. I would like to get more sets of the SS parts but I do need to try keep costs under some sort of control.. saying that after having bought another model car the other day! I do find it easier to justify spending a lot more on a whole Valkyrie than some add on parts. Heck im still thinking about maybe getting another set of SSP's but we'll see what happens.

We don't see it, my friend. We just DO IT. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, arbit said:

What's interesting is that these companies solve a problem with locks or wheels or canopies or whatever, and then it seems they forget all about it, and screw it up again :)

What's more interesting is that despite of its flaws and errors from this company release by release, we still keep on buying it and praising it. ^_^ 

Yeah, even though I dislike the rear gears and hate the opaque canopy - its still gotta be one of my favourite toys - the transformation is so fun and the locks are so satisfying.

13 minutes ago, spanner said:

I bought a second set of 31J super parts on the chance that Bandai won't issue or bundle them with Hayate's knight version later on, forcing everyone to scrounge for them on the secondary market with huge markups. And it doesn't hurt to have another set when you already have 4 31s. ;)

I think Bandai opted for the weird frosted canopy too hide how the pilots have the consoles almost jammed into their chests. It probably played out like this:

Bandai engineers: Hey you think the cockpit looks too cramped? Maybe we should revise it so it doesn't look like the pilot is hugging the forward console? 

Bandai middle manager: That's good enough. Send it for production. I want you to start on the next Gundam MB!

Engineers: Oh! Gundam! Yes sir, right away! 

I would have preferred if Bandai gave us a nice transparent orange-yellow tinted canopy like the seen in the 1/72 model instruction manual. I know Bandai is perfectly capable of producing such canopies. 

I think it'd be interesting to see a VF-1 with properly twisting gear, but I feel like that'd be overcomplicating the mechanism some?  They did do the twisting gear on the VF-11, but those came out too stubby to really look right (if anything, they needed to mount the gear at the very front of the bay, and lengthen them).  While the twist is accurate, it generally isn't necessary for fitting inside the bay, it simplifies the mechanism, and the gear can look better if it's left out.

At least at the end of the day, all of the Yamato and Arcadia valks at least make an effort to make the landing gear look like something off of an actual aircraft.  Bandai's gear aren't worth the metal they're stamped out of. :p  It honestly just comes off as arrogant that they clearly don't care enough to even try to make something look remotely realistic, or even follow the lineart for the stuff they're making.

As far as super packs go... Unless they're not showing us all of what's included, they're going to need another release for the version from the final episode.  While the arm shields clearly have the mounting points for them, they aren't showing us the reaction missiles from the last episode.  Either they're being sneaky, and not showing them yet, or they're planning a separate release for that version.  We'll probably know for sure if they get included with Mirage's packs, since I don't believe hers changed any for the last episode.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Yeah, even though I dislike the rear gears and hate the opaque canopy - its still gotta be one of my favourite toys - the transformation is so fun and the locks are so satisfying.

I think it's Bandai's best Macross DX release to date. 

Are you going to strip the canopy and do your own tint? 

Same here, I'm afraid anything that would dissolve or loosen the metallic coating/paint, might craze/fog the plastic further.  Their prototype didn't have this stupid frosting - who that it would be a good idea to obscure the canopy?!?

42 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I bought a second set of 31J super parts on the chance that Bandai won't issue or bundle them with Hayate's knight version later on, forcing everyone to scrounge for them on the secondary market with huge markups. And it doesn't hurt to have another set when you already have 4 31s. ;)

*snip*

Or you can put the extra 31J Super Parts on the upcoming 31F. Looks nice too. :wub:;)  

31F-blue_13.jpg

38 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

*snip*

As far as super packs go... Unless they're not showing us all of what's included, they're going to need another release for the version from the final episode.  While the arm shields clearly have the mounting points for them, they aren't showing us the reaction missiles from the last episode.  Either they're being sneaky, and not showing them yet, or they're planning a separate release for that version.  We'll probably know for sure if they get included with Mirage's packs, since I don't believe hers changed any for the last episode.

I'm not going to expect a latter release with a hardpoints on the arm shields. I mean, Bandai already released a number of DX with hardpoints under the wing and there's no missiles set release yet. Besides, the only thing I'm expecting is that they probably will make a latter set with a Speaker Pod as shown on Episode 6.

Edited by no3Ljm

Maybe not, but I mean the mounting points on the arm shields aren't standard hardpoints, they're just little holes for mounting something.  They clearly intend for something to go there, but the mounting points don't match anything Bandai has released in the past.

It's entirely possible they're just teasing, and don't have any plans, but considering the reaction missiles in Delta were unique (red tips), I'd be surprised if we don't see those missiles show up at some point.

Maybe we'll all be surprised, and they'll pull a Hasegawa somewhere down the line, and release a giant universal weapons set for use on all of their recent releases.  I'm sure hoping for that, since the 171 missiles just don't cut it for me, and my VF-19 Advance is sitting there envying my Arcadia YF-19 and its massive loadout. 

What I really need to do is get on it, and start making Shapeways pylons to mount Yamato/Arcadia missiles on the Bandai hardpoints.

Though.. what really does surprise me about the super packs?  Bandai is completely ignoring the replacement speaker/projector pod.  It was there the first time the super packs were shown, but it's like that entire system was lost along with the plot of the series. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Maybe the gray plate on the arm shields can be replaced with ones that have mounting points for the reaction weapons...

...they where mounted on the center portion of the shield right?

Honestly I can't remember. :p

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Same here, I'm afraid anything that would dissolve or loosen the metallic coating/paint, might craze/fog the plastic further.  Their prototype didn't have this stupid frosting - who that it would be a good idea to obscure the canopy?!?

I don't know guys, I'm a little concerned that this time the tinting isn't paint at all.  It almost looks like the plastic itself is metallic clear orange.  I hope I'm wrong.

16 minutes ago, mickyg said:

I don't know guys, I'm a little concerned that this time the tinting isn't paint at all.  It almost looks like the plastic itself is metallic clear orange.  I hope I'm wrong.

MacrossJunkie was able to strip his canopy.

DSC_6925.jpg.ea4275a350edd96b00334d4c52682397.jpg

I personally wouldn't try it until I can find a way to safely disassemble the front fuselage, as the front portion of the canopy is one solid piece covering the front sensors too.

While searching previous posts for the above image, I also noticed that whoever set up the 31F display attached the rear ankle armor on upside down. I'm sure messing up a Gundam display like that would've cost someone their job. :rolleyes:

IMG_2236.JPG.e1e0387f17e3d0ffe00e75115593f1b4.JPG

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

*snip*

Though.. what really does surprise me about the super packs?  Bandai is completely ignoring the replacement speaker/projector pod.  It was there the first time the super packs were shown, but it's like that entire system was lost along with the plot of the series. :p

Because those Speaker/Projector Pods can't beat King Ketchup's voice. Would be glad if Kawamori just replaced it with Missile or Big Cannon pods. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Mac said:

Wait, so should I buy another 31J super parts set for my 31F? 

That's up to you sir. I just made a preview of how the 31J's Super Parts will look on 31F. If you like it, then buy another one. Who knows, maybe Bandai will release next time Hayate's 31J (Episode 26) then you'll have extra Super Parts. Or you could just sell it down the line if you don't need it. ^_^ 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:13 AM, IXTL said:

Super packs with reaction missiles (?)

Picture3.jpgPicture4.jpg

The reaction missiles each used a single pylon that mounts directly on top of where there are two dark recesses on the arm shields.  I'm guessing they've already designed them able to mount the missiles, they just haven't revealed that they're making them yet (or are expecting fans to make their own, which seems to be a growing trend).

Would be nice to see some red-tipped ones for a change though. :) 

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

MacrossJunkie was able to strip his canopy.

DSC_6925.jpg.ea4275a350edd96b00334d4c52682397.jpg

I personally wouldn't try it until I can find a way to safely disassemble the front fuselage, as the front portion of the canopy is one solid piece covering the front sensors too.

While searching previous posts for the above image, I also noticed that whoever set up the 31F display attached the rear ankle armor on upside down. I'm sure messing up a Gundam display like that would've cost someone their job. :rolleyes:

IMG_2236.JPG.e1e0387f17e3d0ffe00e75115593f1b4.JPG

Wow - totally missed this!  Thanks for setting me straight, Lolicon!

Edited by mickyg
I can't read names...

On 9/25/2016 at 8:13 AM, IXTL said:

Super packs with reaction missiles (?)

Picture2.jpgPicture4.jpg

Ok. These snapshots made me think. If the Reaction Missile is facing forward during Fighter mode, would that mean that Mirage and Hayate cannot shoot those face-forward, right? I mean, looking at those pylons, there's no way those will rotate during transformation, right? :unknw:

15 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Wow - totally missed this!  Thanks for setting me straight, Noel.

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

That's probably the worst thing anyone has ever said to me on here. :(:lol:

Wait. What now?! You don't really mean that my name is worst, right? Hahaha! :lol: 

Didn't know we have the same first name now. Oh right! :drinks:

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

That's probably the worst thing anyone has ever said to me on here. :(:lol:

Ooops... Fixed!

Clearly I was reading content posted by Noel while replying and got totally mixed up.

Noel: Thanks for the screen grabs - I especially like that first one with the Elysion in the background.

Just now, mickyg said:

Ooops... Fixed!

Clearly I was reading content posted by Noel while replying and got totally mixed up.

Noel: Thanks for the screen grabs - I especially like that first one with the Elysion in the background.

Far out!  I'm on a role today..  All these quotes are throwing me off.  IXTL, that shot of the SDF Elysion is yours.  Noel, yours are the transformation sequences. Thanks for posting, EVERYONE.

I'll see myself out now...

OK Not sure these internet vendors are just frakking scalpers. I could be wrong. But i noticed. Pre-order a valk if you have even a chance, for around 170YEN but if you dont you can buy it for 250yen Pfft LOL JFC. And I do like the look of them but after my v1 VF-25 from Frontier shoulder broke at the wing transforming it for only the second time. Its left a fowl taste.New Century and still cant make a 200+ toy not brake.

2017-01-26_21-25-36.jpg

To be fair though, that's one vendor.  I've had VERY good luck getting items from HLJ around the release date.  And there were a few 31Js recently that came up without that sort of huge mark-up.  The process is frustrating, certainly but it's not ALL bad.

2 hours ago, mickyg said:

Far out!  I'm on a role today..  All these quotes are throwing me off.  IXTL, that shot of the SDF Elysion is yours.  Noel, yours are the transformation sequences. Thanks for posting, EVERYONE.

I'll see myself out now...

Too much coffee, sir? :lol:

52 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

OK Not sure these internet vendors are just frakking scalpers. I could be wrong. But i noticed. Pre-order a valk if you have even a chance, for around 170YEN but if you dont you can buy it for 250yen Pfft LOL JFC. And I do like the look of them but after my v1 VF-25 from Frontier shoulder broke at the wing transforming it for only the second time. Its left a fowl taste.New Century and still cant make a 200+ toy not brake.

*snip*

To be fair, Bandai's Tamashii site posted those DX VF-31 Valks for an MSRP of Y21600. DX Draken for Y23760. So Y25000 after release is still not bad IMHO. I got my VF-31J after release at Nippon-Yasan for Y22000 so it's still in the MSRP range. The price you see for preorder night on shops are discounted. Probably one of the reason why it's discounted is because they order it from the supplier as a wholesale. And by wholesale meaning, a retailer can get a discount for ordering a large quantities from the supplier for resale. And in return they will sell it 'discounted' to customers. I'm guessing, if the PO discount is Y17000 from the original Y21600 price, then probably the retailer bought it for like Y13000 or probably half of the original MSRP price from the supplier. And if that number of quantities met the order just from the PO date, then we better expect to pay the original MSRP price upon release. In which case the Nippon-Yasan always do it beyond the release date. And depends if the price will go up if people are keep on buying it. But beyond the release date, it's not 100% guarantee that the retailer can get another large quantities discounted from the supplier like a wholesale unless the supplier produces again to meet the original price. When the supply runs out then expect the price will go up instantaneously. The law of Supply and Demand.

It is what it is. It's how they run the business. You don't want the supplier to produce a lot and in the end they will have hard time on selling it.

And to be honest, a 200 toy is nothing compared to Arcadia's 300 VF-0A that came with broken legs. Just saying. ^_^ 

Edited by no3Ljm

Hey MacrossJunkie, how did you stip the canopy?  Did you managed to do the front as well?  Is it only a coating on the outside of the canopy or both sides?

18 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Hey MacrossJunkie, how did you stip the canopy?  Did you managed to do the front as well?  Is it only a coating on the outside of the canopy or both sides?

It's just paint on the outside. You can get it off with some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol.

The plastic was real hazy afterwards, but a quick dip in future and some drying time and it was bright and shiny again.

I plan on mixing some transparent yellow with a dash of transparent orange for the tinting.