Fair point....but let's face it there are plenty of show's out there that revolve around shitty people doing bad things like SOA, Shameless, and Breaking Bad to name a few, that are wildly successful. It's why I couldn't get into any of those shows, I hated the characters. BUT, for some reason it doesn't bother me here, maybe because it's not based in reality so to speak. Where as gangs, a-hole neighbors/families, and drug dealers ect are all very real. So I can just enjoy these bad guys. Dunno.

Chris

I have no problems rooting for a character that isn't a goodie-two-shoes golden boy hero. In those shows you mentioned, the characters, as bad as they may be, are humans after all and they face human dilemmas, and have to make choices at one point. That results in some kind of drama that makes these shows interesting. I don't find that in the SS movie (yet). Still, the Avengers movies showed how to challenge indestructible and similar one-dimensional (or so I thought) protagonists, so maybe there is still something to discover amidst badasses posing around and blowing things up.

They debuted this trailer on the CW last night during some 30 minute hype show hosted by Kevin Smith. During that, they flashed a scene of the red metallic Audi or whatever that Joker and Harley are riding in in this trailer but Batman was on top of it. The Batfleck version. I'm guessing maybe that sequence is showing how she wound up in jail.

• 2 months later...

/Film is reporting that Suicide Squad is undergoing tens of millions of dollars worth of reshoots to make it more fun and less like the gloomy and super-serious BvS.

*sigh*

Hopefully they don't muck it up too bad.

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

*sigh*

Hopefully they don't muck it up too bad.

-b.

Apparently, the "Bohemian Rapsody" trailer was not representative of the tone of Suicide Squad at all, and given the overwhelmingly positive response to it (and the critical backlash against BvS), they decided it was prudent to lighten up what was being described as an incredibly dark film.

I assume it's getting a bit of a GotG and Deadpool makeover.

Edited by Duke Togo

Apparently, the "Bohemian Rapsody" trailer was not representative of the tone of Suicide Squad at all, and given the overwhelmingly positive response to it (and the critical backlash against BvS), they decided it was prudent to lighten up what was being described as an incredibly dark film.

I assume it's getting a bit of a GotG and Deadpool makeover.

That's legitimately disappointing (on the part of DC), but somehow not at all surprising.

The trailer had just the right amount of dark, and humor and IMO it didn't feel like a copy or derivative of Marvel films. And honestly one would expect more "dark" than not, in a movie staring villains (not anti-heroes) in a group called Suicide Squad.

But hey, two dark Superman movies and one funny Suicide Squad movie. :blink:

-b.

This sounds like a terrible idea. What was selling me on this film was the fact that it looked like it was going for something very different than the other super hero films. An attempt to make a splash doing a kind of story we've not yet seen in this genre. Why are they now second-guessing themselves to such a ridiculous degree? Very disappointing.

I feel like these movies are giving even the "dark and gloomy" movies a bad name. I've seen a lot of those type of films and there's a way to do them well. The Crow, the first and second Blade film, Angel Heart, City of Lost Children, Bladerunner, The Fly (1986). Hell... even the first Terminator and the first 2 Alien films were pretty dark and gloomy. (Dark as in atmosphere and tone, not lighting wise.) Not to mention all the classic horror films that were obviously dark in nature but were super fun to watch... some one there is confusing "realistic" with shaky cams, bad colorization and zero heart.

I think the reshoots were initiated by the director and not the studio. It has gotten more life and scrutiny in wake of all of the criticism from BVS. I suspect the tone of the finished film will more closely resemble Deadpool and not the PG 13 nature of the Marvel/Disney films. WB was probably more than happy to concede because they have to know that they can't afford to have 2 films back to back being highly contested by the critics.

I think the reshoots were initiated by the director and not the studio. It has gotten more life and scrutiny in wake of all of the criticism from BVS. I suspect the tone of the finished film will more closely resemble Deadpool and not the PG 13 nature of the Marvel/Disney films. WB was probably more than happy to concede because they have to know that they can't afford to have 2 films back to back being highly contested by the critics

Deadpool was made in the same tone as most of the MCU films. In fact I thought it fit that universe more than any of the Fox Marvel films. The only thing was they added adult elements that fit Wade Wilson's character and the type of humor that we were familiar with in the Deadpool comics. In fact, Deadpool is closer in tone to Iron Man than The Winter Soldier. Again, tone isn't the problem. You can make a dark, gloomy movie and still make it extremely watchable. The problem with DC movies is coherence, relatability, and the characters actually resembling the source material.

I'm not pleased with the looks of some of the characters and the reshoot thing worries me, but the new trailer looks fun. I'll probably wait on the reviews before buying a ticket. I do hope it saves the dcu, otherwise bring on the reboots before we get too many films in.

If it does turn out good then at least a good third of the dcu would be worth saving and may inspire the rest of the projects to be better.

lmao!

Anyway, the director and actors have already said, they went in to shoot more action. Some people in the know have said, there's already alot of funny in the movie and didn't believe they were doing reshoots for more "humor". So do you believe the people who are involved in making the movie or someone else spreading rumor?

So do you believe the people who are involved in making the movie [snip]?

LOL, no, and neither should you. I assume you said that without really thinking about what it was you were saying (not meant as an insult).

I meant it as, i don't know. damage control is very possible. I don't know anything about the movie except i'd prefer it to be dark. WB is VERY reactionary which is irritating. I honestly don't think that reshoots will make difference on how a movie turns other than making it flow better. Most movies have reshoots, they are scheduled for it, especially marvel movies. So I'm not saying I believe in one or the other, just stating that Ayer has responded to it, and most people are not aware of it, since it's mostly overshadowed by the initial rumor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...