Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

personally i think the kickstarter will pass... but it's in a year that will be a 30 min pilot... and that's it... no network is going to pick it up so guess what???? more kickstarter!!! (except the term kickstarter will be incorrect. more like pushing a dead horse)

Hey now, a single 30-minute pilot episode for a series no network will touch would STILL make it a banner year for Robotech... it's more productivity than they usually show in five.

Anyone listen to dougbendo's podcast?

Nobody listens to that garbage... that's why dougbendo has to repeatedly download his own podcast to make it look like people actually care what he has to say. If I want to subject myself to the stream-of-(un)consciousness deranged ramblings of a mental midget, I'll turn on Comedy Central (or maybe CSPAN). At least that way there's a vague chance of something relevant or even mildly amusing happening.

I was checking my emails today. My junk mail folder had an email from HG announcing the KS.

I was registered in the RT forums, but haven't posted since the mid 2000's. If they are digging up old member emails like that, they must really be scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

And yes, that email was exactly where it belonged. ;)

If the KS succeeds, where they going to put all the people that signed up to get their likeness on screen. I'm guessing this is going to be 22 minutes about the day the academy got their class picture taken.

I'll just laugh at all the suckers who paid into this crap. I'm geared up for more Macross next year, and A SERIES, not a slim chance in hell of one getting picked up.

If the KS succeeds, where they going to put all the people that signed up to get their likeness on screen. I'm guessing this is going to be 22 minutes about the day the academy got their class picture taken.

They will be background fillers. You know, as the characters are walking and passing students by. Something to fill in the dead space. But definitely not an active character.

In my E-Mail a official description of Robotech Academy..

Announcing Robotech Academy!

We are proud to announce the next chapter in the Robotech saga! Based on Carl Macek's last project working with Harmony Gold, Robotech Academy follows the adventures of several cadets at the military academy. Under attack from strange forces called the Children of Zor, the cadets are sent on an odyssey around the universe, exploring the secrets of the Robotech Master: Zor!

We are proud to announce the next chapter in the Robotech saga! Based on Carl Macek's last project working with Harmony Gold, Robotech Academy follows the adventures of several cadets at the military academy. Under attack from strange forces called the Children of Zor, the cadets are sent on an odyssey around the universe, exploring the secrets of the Robotech Master: Zor!

I smell retcon

UPDATE #16: Fantoma and Tirol!

Fantoma and Tirol!

Another sneak peek at some of the worlds from the unfinished Sentinels series to finally be explored in Robotech Academy! With your support, we can help make Carl Macek's vision become a reality at http://RobotechAcademy.com

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BstFUY6CEAEHm5C.jpg:large

Serious, HG don't know to play....

Edited by Old_Nash

"Brilliant," huh?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-07-16/robotech-academy-kickstarter-adds-enemy-spy-tier-for-haters/.76679

Thank God for that extra $6 and counting from those dirty purists.

Now you said, someone donated 6,000 for the project...

And that thing have $150,611 and 22 days to go...

Edited by Old_Nash

Nobody listens to that garbage... that's why dougbendo has to repeatedly download his own podcast to make it look like people actually care what he has to say. If I want to subject myself to the stream-of-(un)consciousness deranged ramblings of a mental midget, I'll turn on Comedy Central (or maybe CSPAN). At least that way there's a vague chance of something relevant or even mildly amusing happening.

Surprisingly he had a few valid concerns and complaints. He crapped all on HG's track record. For some reason keeps talking about RT3k like a full series was made. Did say that RT3k was better than RTSC.

Doesn't like how the kickstarter is being handled. Specifically the tiers and the lack of information being given on the series. What the funds would be used for ex: will rt.com be upgraded, will there be comics to tie-in or continue the series.

Also thinks that the rpg kickstarter is fishy. Claims that molds should not cost that much nor should any tabletop RPG cost the amount raised to make.

​Believes that HG owes Maeck's wife for the script and ideas for she is the key to reviving the franchise. And that if this doesn't work out no more robotech. Which he thinks it should die already.

Most of it was...idk...intriguing

They will be background fillers. You know, as the characters are walking and passing students by. Something to fill in the dead space. But definitely not an active character.

Funny thing in podcast (if you want to call it that) DB said it'll probably be a scene where everyone is dancing and happy the characters are featured. name up in lights. then a particle beam destroys them all.

I smell retcon

Among many things....

The whole send the inexperienced crew into the unknown sounds...so...generic. Not saying it's good or bad, just, "Meh".

Surprisingly he had a few valid concerns and complaints. He crapped all on HG's track record. For some reason keeps talking about RT3k like a full series was made. Did say that RT3k was better than RTSC.

Since Robotech 3000 wasn't made, I'm not sure how you could make that comparison, but ok.

Doesn't like how the kickstarter is being handled. Specifically the tiers and the lack of information being given on the series. What the funds would be used for ex: will rt.com be upgraded, will there be comics to tie-in or continue the series.

He donated a large amount and is having donator's remorse?

Also thinks that the rpg kickstarter is fishy. Claims that molds should not cost that much nor should any tabletop RPG cost the amount raised to make.

That's a discussion for that other thread.

​Believes that HG owes Maeck's wife for the script and ideas for she is the key to reviving the franchise. And that if this doesn't work out no more robotech. Which he thinks it should die already.

Macek's widow played her cards. Good for her. And I'm not sure what Mrs. Macek can do to revive the franchise. Besides some drawings, what did she do for the franchise?

I smell retcon

Actually, it's more like a reuse of a terrible idea that didn't make it into Robotech II: the Sentinels back in the 80s... that's where they dredged up the "Children of Zor".

I'll just laugh at all the suckers who paid into this crap. I'm geared up for more Macross next year, and A SERIES, not a slim chance in hell of one getting picked up.

Heh, it's looking like we won't even get that far... Kicktraq's projections have finally caught up with the reality that even Robotech fans on the Kickstarter itself are starting to accept. Like the Detroit Lions, sometimes for Robotech, failure is the ONLY option:

post-2536-0-93525800-1405599199_thumb.png

He crapped all on HG's track record.

That's nothing new, he's one of the fans who believes that Carl Macek was a god and Tommy Yune's a demon sent to test everyone's faith.

For some reason keeps talking about RT3k like a full series was made. Did say that RT3k was better than RTSC.

He's part of that same conspiracy theorist set as the late khyron_prime, in that he believes that they actually got so far as to develop the entire series plot for Robotech 3000 and it was tragically cut down not by the overwhelmingly negative reaction to literally everything about it, but by some internal politics at Netter Digital. KP's web page, before it went down with Geocities, was a monument to that insane paranoid conspiracy theory.

Him and 90% of the rest of Robotech fans. This must be a strange experience for poor disturbed little doug, actually being in agreement with someone else for once.

Harmony Gold's reacted with some considerable hostility to fan appeals to know how the money's going to be spent, which suggests (to them and everyone with a brain) that some massive fiduciary irregularities are imminent. If he thinks they might update Robotech.com, he's dreaming. Harmony Gold's execs said, via McKeever, point blank that they don't give a toss unless it's directly bringing profit in, which McKeever finessed to mean "they only care about the store".

Well, yeah... seems like he's hopping on a lot of popular bandwagons lately. His viewership of one must be down. Admittedly, on this one he's off in lala land on the cost point, since Palladium Books has zero experience and the modeling studio faffed around doing substandard work for most of the Kickstarter. But hey, Robotech fans got burned and now they're learning.

THERE'S the conspiracy theory. I knew it couldn't be a dougbendo podcast without one.

As far as "if this doesn't work out, no more Robotech" goes, I effing well hope so.

Most of it was...idk...intriguing

Funny thing in podcast (if you want to call it that) DB said it'll probably be a scene where everyone is dancing and happy the characters are featured. name up in lights. then a particle beam destroys them all.

What is this, South Park?

I really want to see changes to the sentinel story lines. I read the books, enjoyed Minmei becoming an alcoholic,drug addicted hoochie who never got over Rick. And the death of Kile. Hahaha.

You can't go to Fantoma without running into the original expedition. C'mon, the Zentradi stayed to mine there. Breetai even got a piece A$$ there.

What will the cadets say? Hahaha.

Edited by coronadlux

They have a YouTube video with Cesar from Creavision. He doesn't say much about his fan project.

He seemed genuine and down to earth.mane me think about it...

Just saw the video... I thought the illustration of the moon was an exaggeration, sorta like a Disneyland map. I didn't realize that that school was really suppose to be that big on the surface of the moon. I'm pretty sure that would throw it off the orbit. lol. The great thing about the original 3 animation were the real world setting it was in. I don't remember anything that, for a lack of a better word, "cartoony". I mean, there's a perfectly good planet just above them, that's the whole point of going to Mars isn't it?

To be honest, I wasn't really a big fan of Creavision's work on that short, but hopefully they got paid ahead of time for the work they did for that video.

For $500k, I'd expect either 24 mins of Space Battleship Yamato quality if cell animated or something like Kawamoris' Armored core opening movie if it's CG type show. I wouldn't hold my breath for either though...

A question to the mod who added that Sidekick page in the thread opener (I swear that was not me); what does it base its success probability on? The graph on the page is really volatile.

It doesn't say on the page there, but the "About" link at the top of the page says that it's a weighted algorithm based on the size of donations over time, the number of posts on Twitter containing links to the project, and some unspecified metric regarding how the backers relate to each other. I think I prefer the Kicktraq projections, since those are based purely on financial trends rather than metrics may not have any direct connection to the amount contributed to the campaign. It's not even clicks they're tracking, it's all posted links regardless of whether or not anyone actually uses them.

Neither one is painting an especially rosy picture of Robotech Academy's chances of success either... Kicktraq is projecting total failure for the project, with the projected mean backer contribution of less than 80% of the target, and their most optimistic picture of backer contribution still has them missing by almost $40k (and that's been steadily trending downward DAILY). The low end is also diving, but estimated at about $275k. Sidekick's projecting a mere 8% chance of success, which is definitely in the "hell will freeze first" tier.

IF funded with $500,000.

How should a 24 minute animation look? Are we talking OVA quality here?

Considering the quality of the demo footage, and the massive fiscal irresponsibility that will no doubt occur in the "feasibility study" phase, I'd say expect something that'll look like an all-CG version of Shadow Chronicles. That is to say, like a video game cutscene from the early 2000s.

UPDATE #16: Fantoma and Tirol!

Fantoma and Tirol!

https://pbs.twimg.co...EHm5C.jpg:large

I'm no expert on planetary physics, but does it seem odd to anyone else that Tirol could manage to support a complex civilization while sandwiched in between planetary rings?

Edit : I love how those Argentinean fans behind the Robotech: Valkyrie project will be doing the CG for Robotech Academy. To me this is very cool and I'm sure they're excited for it too.

Me too, I'm happy those guys' dreams came true. I just hope they have a back up plan in place. While I do see this pilot episode reaching its Kickstarter goal and getting made, I doubt any network will green light an entire series based on it.

Edit : I love how those Argentinean fans behind the Robotech: Valkyrie project will be doing the CG for Robotech Academy. To me this is very cool and I'm sure they're excited for it too.

Yep and look how they remove all the references to Macross from the short images... there are some soldiers, trucks, explosión... but NONE of the CG that we can see previous to the C&D letters... :D

I'm no expert on planetary physics, but does it seem odd to anyone else that Tirol could manage to support a complex civilization while sandwiched in between planetary rings?

Protoculture does just about everything in this universe and people accepted that.

If we were to count all of the impossible stuff that goes on in Robotech, like powering giant robots with a plant's frustrated libido*, we'd likely end up with more problems than seconds of footage. It does seem like a rather dangerous place to live, since it does look like it's far too close to the ring system to be healthy.

*Yes, this is actually how it generates power according to Carl Macek.

Me too, I'm happy those guys' dreams came true. I just hope they have a back up plan in place. While I do see this pilot episode reaching its Kickstarter goal and getting made, I doubt any network will green light an entire series based on it.

Honestly, I feel bad for them. This might look like a dream come true for them, but this project is destined to be a failure... and it's going to turn into a nightmare for them when the inevitable happens and Harmony Gold needs someone to blame. These guys're really passionate fans, and they're likely to end up being blamed for the project's failure and the inevitable decade-long wait for a new title in the best-case scenario. At worst, they might end up being blamed for Robotech finally being abandoned by Harmony Gold.

That's going to be a bitter pill to swallow, being publicly blamed for doing grievous harm to the thing you care about.

Edited by Seto Kaiba