All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Just spent a couple hours with Batman Arkham City. Pretty cool. Still learning the controls but for a decent price ($39.99 at Target), feel it was very worth it.

Armored for Wii U. Makes pretty good use of the gamepad, sometimes almost distracting but still trying to learn all the controls. Very much in the mode of the Nolan Batmans it seems.

I have no problems with the new XIII game. I enjoyed both XIII and XIII-2. Lightning's Return looks pretty interesting to me, so I plan on buying it when it's released.

I tried to like XIII and just couldn't get over the first 25 hours of point A to B grinding. The characters nor story really caught on with me either. Then tried the demo to XIII-2 but didn't waste anytime on the main game. Final Fantasy basically died in my eyes when X-2 came around.

Right now, I've started a playthrough of Parasite Eve. I never gave this one a chance when it first came out but became curious again after watching an old review of the game.

I was never more disappointed with a Final Fantasy game than I was with FF13. X-2 (FF's version of Charlie's Angels Full Throttle) was horrible as well but at least you could explore the regions. 6 and 7 are still my favorites. I start a new game of 6 everytime I get a new phone or find my Gameboy Advance.

I was never more disappointed with a Final Fantasy game than I was with FF13. X-2 (FF's version of Charlie's Angels Full Throttle) was horrible as well but at least you could explore the regions. 6 and 7 are still my favorites. I start a new game of 6 everytime I get a new phone or find my Gameboy Advance.

I haven't enjoyed a numbered Final Fantasy game after IX.

Once I was able to look past Tidus being whiney, I was able to enjoy it a lot more. There were some slow parts but over all good story development. I kinda liked learning that Al Bed or whatever it was called language.

I didn't play 11 because it was an MMO and I'm not interested in those. However I really enjoyed 12 and felt it was a solid game, it just lacked the epicness of 6 or 7.

I think it's just safe to say that the series wasn't the same after Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu left. Square Enix let the franchise fall into mediocrity.

VI and VII are still my favorites aswell. Followed by IX, V and VIII.

Edited by Shadow

I think it's just safe to say that the series wasn't the same after Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu left. Square Enix let the franchise fall into mediocrity.

VI and VII are still my favorites aswell. Followed by IX, V and VIII.

Quoted for truth. VIII was and is my all-time favorite, as well as being the first FF game I ever played.

Music-wise, there hasn't been a memorable ending song after X.

Once I was able to look past Tidus being whiney, I was able to enjoy it a lot more. There were some slow parts but over all good story development. I kinda liked learning that Al Bed or whatever it was called language.

I didn't play 11 because it was an MMO and I'm not interested in those. However I really enjoyed 12 and felt it was a solid game, it just lacked the epicness of 6 or 7.

Don't get me started on Tidus. He acts like my friend's 5-year-old kid! IMO, from X onwards, the main characters just went downhill from there. XII's Vaan was an exception, although he wasn't much of a protagonist--the whole story was more about Ashe and that pirate guy (no, not Al Cid, the other one with the bunny girl) than him.

Come to think of it, the characters and story in XIII are fine, even squeaky-voiced Vanille and that kid with the boomerang whose names escapes me. It's just the awfully linear stages. They also artificially made the boss fights dificult by forcing a level cap on your characters.

XIII-2, while an enjoyable distraction, seemed more like an excuse to milk some money from the main game. Supposedly it was to explain what happened to Lightning, but ended up being some muddled romp through time. The longer I played, the more confused I got.

Just wait for it. Eventually... no.

Just the Batman look I mean. I was expecting the story skin/outfit to look more like the comic. Bane, Catwoman, etc are nothing like the Nolan obviously

I found FF VIII to be the worst of the series for me. I never finished it, nor have the desire to. There are a few that I still haven't played yet (I, II, V, IX), but do plan on getting to them eventually.

The linearity of XIII never bothered me, personally. To me, it actually made sense considering that the character were on the run during most of the games.

You haven't played IX? It's one of my absolute faves. It's like IV-2 or VI-2 would be, thematically. It's the most classic/retro one of them all.

I would highly recommend playing I first. Some things in IX harken back to I. It could almost sorta be a seuqel to I---the worlds possibly overlap.

I'd second the recommendation to play IX. To me, it was the last 'great' FF title.

VIII was okay but has a number of elements that I just don't care for such as the junction system and enemies that level up with you. I also never got into playing the card game. The plot through the first 2 discs kept my attention but went downhill afterwards. Despite this, it's still one of the most memorable game in the franchise for me. Maybe it was because I also in high school at the time when I first played it and it was interesting having that kind of relation to the characters plus VIII made a major visual transition from what I had seen with VII. The music was another big winner for me with VIII.

Edited by Shadow

I loved IX, but it felt incomplete to me. It seemed like most of the characters whose stories were building in the first half of the game wound up being entirely dropped, with no resolution, in the second half.

Even so, it was a lot of fun and the last Final Fantasy game I thoroughly enjoyed.

i'm desperately looking for a halfway decent Anime-style PS3 RPG. i'm seriously considering this, it looks to be right up my alley. opinions/advice are most welcome;

packaging-001.jpg

a26b697ad2636cc82d7876451bef50e6_bp.jpg

ss-170.jpg

ss-169.jpg

ss-143.jpg

art-019.jpg

art-018.jpg

art-025.jpg

art-027.jpg

ss-216.jpg

ss-253.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

I never felt any of them fell apart at the end until about VIII onward.

Yeah. TBH, VIII was fine for what it was, basically a love story. It's just that they tried to turn it into something more, which is when the problems start. IMO, the whole concept of witches should have been made more present and apparent in their world from the getgo. The way it was represented in the game, it felt tacked on, to make the game feel less of a love story, which is precisely what it was.

@ Shaorin: I haven't played this one yet, but you really can't go wrong with a Tales game. I've played Abyss and Legendia, and those were awesome games.

Edited by GU-11

To add what GU-11 said about VIII. I was turned off by the whole 'everyone just happened to grow up in the same orphanage element along with the GF taking up the characters memories to make these two plot elements mesh better. It just felt lazy to me on the part of the writers.

@Shaorin: Only title I could give you is Tales of Symphonia.

Edited by Shadow

The best FF was XI ! You play a greedy adventurer who grinds and grinds and grinds to max out jobs only to find out that Prostitute Bard is the best job to get friends, parties, and invites to high level Linkshells.

The game is pervasive, it never ends! Your main end game activity it to sit around for hours waiting for high level monsters to spawn, defeat it, and find out that whatever item you wanted did not drop. In the rare event that said item does drops, get ready for loads of entertainment as you and your adventuring buddies create an endless stream of drama to determine who gets what loot.

Your reward for all this is so that you can stand in a very populated town with your character in full uber-looking gear and have people check you out, while you log onto your other PC and play WoW.

To add what GU-11 said about VIII. I was turned off by the whole 'everyone just happened to grow up in the same orphanage element along with the GF taking up the characters memories to make these two plot elements mesh better. It just felt lazy to me on the part of the writers.

It's been over a decade since I played the game, but I think it was mentioned that SeeD soldiers (mercs, for all intents and purposes) were usually culled from orphanages to serve in different Gardens. But yeah, the whole thing with the GF's taking up their memories was kind of WTF.

My final party was usually Squall, Quistis, Irvine, only because Irvine's gun can be VERY useful when upgraded etc late in the game. Whereas Rinoa is useless when not casting, and has an often-useless limit break.

Quistis is in the "never leaves the party" category.