All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

http://www.screwatta...-chopping-block

Dark times are coming...

Could be worse. It's just Atari US that's declaring bankruptcy, not Atari as a whole. And this is a chance for better developers to get their hands on the D&D license.

Still... I hear the logo's for sale. That's like their most valuable asset!

Starhawk still pwns multiplayer. Best thing since BF2 for "combined arms" action.

Glad I just picked that one up then. Finally picked up a PS3 so I can play that Macross 30 game when it arrives.

Took it for a spin with the DYRL bluray hybrid pack game last night. Not too impressed by the game, but it was a fun bit of nostalgia. Controls just aren't very useful a good portion of the time. Hope they work that out by the time the actual game is released.

Don't use the left stick to pilot, stick with the cross pad. Aside from that, I'm nit sure what control issues you could be having. If you see it in theanime, youcan pretty much do it in the game.

Well I didn't have any trouble with the stick for controls, it was the lack of view control that got to me. Putting the mode control on the right thumbstick was a serious waste of a stick, and just left you with duplicated controls.

Attack controls were decent, though I need to look at a guide to check out the combos and such. Mostly I was just annoyed by the targeting system, and lack of a way to change my view manually. Also was a bit sad that they didn't work more actual movie events into the gameplay, but it was still fun to be able to FINALLY see a decent strike packed VF-1 on my screen. ^_^

Well I didn't have any trouble with the stick for controls, it was the lack of view control that got to me. Putting the mode control on the right thumbstick was a serious waste of a stick, and just left you with duplicated controls.

Attack controls were decent, though I need to look at a guide to check out the combos and such. Mostly I was just annoyed by the targeting system, and lack of a way to change my view manually. Also was a bit sad that they didn't work more actual movie events into the gameplay, but it was still fun to be able to FINALLY see a decent strike packed VF-1 on my screen. ^_^

The engine doesn't really lend itself to a first person view, but I think an option is there. As for the rest,the demo is clearly pre-alpha, so I'm not surprised by the serious lack of features. The trailer for 30 already shows the implementation of fundamentals like launch scenes, so I'm not worrued there.

Oh, I'm not even thinking first-person really (and I have no idea how that would work in battroid). There just wasn't any way to manually control the camera direction to look for targets, even in the external view.

By movie events, I mean stuff like the M&M fight, where he chases her into her own ship and fights her in the docking bay, or seeing Minmay fly past during the zero-gravity city scene and having to catch her, that sort of thing. They definitely played little clips of those events during the missions, but it felt weird watching the character I was playing as do stuff that I obviously wasn't doing. :blink:

I've been spoiled on stuff like Ace Combat and the old Rogue Squadron games though, so probably expecting way too much from a pack-in game on a movie disk.:lol: Really looking forward to the full game when it comes out.

Those events have been included in the PSP games, but the demo's look so early and uncinished that I'm not surprised they ween't included. As for the targetting, yoy can manuallu switch between high and low priority tarvets with the target button + up/down on the crosspad. R1+L1 will clear out targetting for free aiming.

Anyone played the DMC reboot yet? I was tempted to buy it, but the reported 10-hour playtime is too short to spend money on, especially with MGS Rising and Tomb Raider just on the horizon. I'm not sure if the previous DMC games were that short, but they actually felt longer to me.

Anyone played the DMC reboot yet?

Nope. Probably not going to, and yes, it's because I can't stand their take on Dante. Even then, I was almost tempted to play it, but I grew irritated with the way the game's proponents casually dismissed the critics of the new Dante as if their concerns were invalid just because the game got a couple of good review scores. Hey, Darksiders was a pretty good game, too, but I can only imagine how pissed people would have been if Nintendo published it, renamed War to Link, and billed it as a Legend of Zelda reboot.

But I digress.

the reported 10-hour playtime is too short to spend money on

How long did you want it to be? 8-12 hours seems about right for a hack n' slash. It's been awhile since I've played a DmC game, but that sounds about right. Sounds about right for the God of War series, Bayonetta, and Dante's Inferno, too. Only one I can think of that I've played that stood out as being much longer was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Nope. Probably not going to, and yes, it's because I can't stand their take on Dante. Even then, I was almost tempted to play it, but I grew irritated with the way the game's proponents casually dismissed the critics of the new Dante as if their concerns were invalid just because the game got a couple of good review scores. Hey, Darksiders was a pretty good game, too, but I can only imagine how pissed people would have been if Nintendo published it, renamed War to Link, and billed it as a Legend of Zelda reboot.

But I digress.

How long did you want it to be? 8-12 hours seems about right for a hack n' slash. It's been awhile since I've played a DmC game, but that sounds about right. Sounds about right for the God of War series, Bayonetta, and Dante's Inferno, too. Only one I can think of that I've played that stood out as being much longer was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

I agree about the new Dante. No matter how hard I try to accept this "new" look, he just isn't Dante.

I was expecting about 20 hours or so of gameplay, which isn't too much to ask. I remember taking around a week to complete DMC3 on the PS2, but then I only play about 2-3 hours a day. Dynasty Warriors took much longer, especially if you want to try out all your favorite characters.

Anyone play the Dead Space 3 demo yet?

I'm saving myself for the full game. I want to go in cold and have a proper scare myself shitless experience. (it's got nothing to do with having been devoting 100% of my time to Halo 4 and still needing to re-beat DS2 after accidentally nuking my save file. no sir. :ph34r: )

:edit:

oh, and I REALLY need to go back and finish off lollipop chainsaw.

Edited by anime52k8

In news that will surprise no one in the industry, THQ is officially dead with the auction of assets today. Relic has been sold off to Sega - WITHOUT the Homeworld IP. Hopefully someone picks it up seperately.

No one's picked up Darksiders, either, which bums me out a bit.

EDIT: Capcom used to be one of my favorite game companies. Then they started with on-disc DLC, canceled three or four good-looking Mega Man games, replaced Dante with a Vampire Diaries extra, and generally scared off most of their talent.

Edited by mikeszekely

Looks like I'm not the only one who can't stand the new skinny emo-punk Dante. Ironically, the "original Dante skin" DLC seems to only fan the flames of anger for those who don't like his new look. Apparently, they feel as if Capcom is making them pay for something that should have been made as a free unlockable.

BTW, I just googled some more reviews, and it seems there are quite a few more issues with the game than just Dante's looks. The sucky framerate on the PS3 is the main deal-breaker for me, since it's the only console I own.

Edited by GU-11

I still haven't played assault horizon but If I was going to I'd rather play it on console with a controller and big screen TV.

Both of which you can do with Steam, too. It's even got a "Big Picture Mode" that's supposed to make the interface more navigable on a TV with a controller.

I've grown to prefer PC gaming. My PC's a lot more powerful, most games look better on my PC, I have my choice of controller or mouse and keyboard, I don't have to switch discs when I want to play a different game, it's usually cheaper due to Steam's habit of running awesome sales, and I don't have to worry about my wife kicking me off because she wants to watch whatever stupid show she's into (right now, it's Vampire Diaries or something).

I haven't had a desktop in like 4 years (I haven't even had a usable desk in like 2 years), and while my laptop could probably handle playing most steam games reasonably well, a 17 inch laptop monitor, low profile keyboard and touchpad aren't exactly great for playing games.

I haven't had a desktop in like 4 years (I haven't even had a usable desk in like 2 years), and while my laptop could probably handle playing most steam games reasonably well, a 17 inch laptop monitor, low profile keyboard and touchpad aren't exactly great for playing games.

when Starcraft WoL came out, i got myself a 10m HDMI cable, plugged the VaioZ laptop to an AV receiver, which routes the sound to 5.1 speakers and the video to a 55" flatscreen. the laptop is on a small coffee table that's exactly lap height when sitting on the couch and the table surface itself extends over my lap. Razer mouse plugs into laptop (or joystick and pedals when playing Freespace), keyboard illumination on, room lights down. not too shabby for a laptop-based gaming setup :D

i do lament though that the Vaio Z series has been discontinued. for me at least, they were the only game in town for small, slim, sexy 13" laptops with powerful CPUs and graphics :(

When Asshorizon hits $20 or less I might give it another look. The idea of paying them for rail shooter levels still makes me think they should pay me to play it. However, I would like to see how moddable the game engine is, since it'd be a piece of cake to rework it into something that isn't the air combat version of a blood and guts splatter fest.

Strike Suit Zero though is an instant buy. Time to reinstall steam.

that space mining thread has got me all thinking about Dead space again. You know what the world needs? For MattyCollector or NECA to make a DS 1/2 plasma cutter prop that is properly large, capable of making lights and sounds, and not $250+

I mean, the Ghost buster props Mattel did where awesome, and NECA's portal guns are basically exactly what I'd want in a Dead space prop.