All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

My PS2 thumbsticks have that issue too---it makes the knobs collect insane amounts of dust, since they're just "ever so slighty moist/sticky". I don't think using them makes a difference---I once went a year without using the controller, and it made no difference---still got sticky and collected dust due to "ooze".

My PS2 thumbsticks have that issue too---it makes the knobs collect insane amounts of dust, since they're just "ever so slighty moist/sticky". I don't think using them makes a difference---I once went a year without using the controller, and it made no difference---still got sticky and collected dust due to "ooze".

I hope that stuff isn't toxic. On busy weekends, I try to squeeze in some playtime during lunch, and sometimes take a bite from a sandwich when the screen loads.

Haven't played Far Cry 3 but I found Far Cry 2 boring to the point that I only played it for maybe 2~3 hours total. Also, how are either of them in any way, shape, or form related to Far Cry 1?

Haven't played Far Cry 3 but I found Far Cry 2 boring to the point that I only played it for maybe 2~3 hours total. Also, how are either of them in any way, shape, or form related to Far Cry 1?

It suppose to be a open environment where the player is free to choose any route to complete the objective. Basically, the player is dumped into a "sandbox" and they are free to explore, do missions, etc., within the "sandbox". Ubisoft keeps changing the plot but the idea is the same. Maybe it was the lack of a compelling story for Far Cry 2 but I wasn't impressed when I saw it either. I thought about Far Cry 3, but I really don't have time to immerse myself in a game for that long anymore. I may pick it up once it goes into the discount pile but probably not now.

I just feel like the franchise lost something when it abandoned the crazy plot lines about genetic manipulation conspiracies and horrifying mutant creatures.

That's because the developers that made the first Far Cry weren't involved with any of the sequels. Crytek got dumped and went on to make spiritual sequels with the Crysis series. Far Cry is developed by Ubisoft Montreal now going off in their own direction.

Haven't played Far Cry 3 but I found Far Cry 2 boring to the point that I only played it for maybe 2~3 hours total.

That's pretty much how I felt. I enjoyed Far Cry, so I got Far Cry 2 and couldn't get into it. It just seemed dull.

Far Cry 3 is pretty fun, though. I've probably played it for 4-5 hours so far, and I've only done one plot-related quest. Far Cry 3 kind of sort of feels like the original Far Cry and Skyrim had a baby. You've got the crouching through jungle foliage thing going, but the sandbox feels much bigger and it's easy to find non-plot things to do.

Crytek got dumped and went on to make spiritual sequels with the Crysis series.

Fixed. I mean, let's be honest, Warhead (while good) was really still the first game, and Crysis 2 was Call of Duty with Halo rejects instead of terrorists.

Fixed. I mean, let's be honest, Warhead (while good) was really still the first game, and Crysis 2 was Call of Duty with Halo rejects instead of terrorists.

At least it continues the same story line and uses the same characters. And I liked Crysis 2; admitedly at the time I was still really in to Call of duty and Halo, but I liked Crysis 2.I'm still interested in Crysis 3.

At least it continues the same story line and uses the same characters. And I liked Crysis 2; admitedly at the time I was still really in to Call of duty and Halo, but I liked Crysis 2.I'm still interested in Crysis 3.

There was like one guy from Crysis who was in Crysis 2, and he dies in the first hour! And I never was clear on how North Koreans accidentally finding some long-buried alien squid turned into humanoid aliens invading New York (or why aliens in New York caused a plague). And Crysis 2 was a lot more linear.

I'm not saying I didn't like Crysis 2... using the stealth mode on the exosuit really changes the way you approach an encounter, and I appreciated that. It just felt, from a design point of view, only tangentially connected to the original Crysis, and more similar to games like Call of Duty and Halo than to the original Far Cry. And while I'm interested in Crysis 3, I'm really hoping it'll be more similar to the original than Crysis 2. (And available on Steam instead of Origin, although that seems doubtful).

TBH, I prefer linear games more than sandbox games. With really open world games I tend to get easily distracted by side quests and other stuff that eats up huge amounts of time to the point where don't get as much out of the story and start loosing interested in the game (happened in Fallout 3, happened in Red dead redemption, happened with dead rising etc.)

that said, I'm interested in Crysis 3, but other games that I'm significantly more interested in are coming out the same month (Bioshock infinity and Dead space 3) and there's still games that are already out that I haven't played yet.

While I'm fine with linear or sandbox games, I prefer that the campaign be isolated and not be affected by side missions (That's why they're called side missions right?). For example, Crysis and Crysis: Warhead. What happens on Warhead does not affect Crysis in anyway, and actually builds up around what I saw in Crysis. Example of bad side story missions? C.o.D.: Black Ops 2. We have a campaign and side missions. Unfortunately, those side missions do affect the story of the campaign. So I should play them, even though you're giving me to option to skip them? If they affect the story, shouldn't I be forced to play them? That kind of open narrative annoys me. Like anime52k8 mentioned, I would be forced to spend more time on side quests than the actual campaign. Kinda breaks the pace of where the story is going don't you think?

One thing I also don't like are unexplained time jumps. If you're going to make a franchise around a bunch of characters, at least try to follow the same characters or explain what happened to everyone else who didn't show up in some form or another. That's what annoyed me from Crysis to Crysis 2. What happened to Nomad, the girl and Pyscho...without making me look for a comic book which explains what happened (At least they're bringing back Psycho for Crysis 3). Build a bridge from one game to the next.

I almost universally prefer sandbox games. Funny but I have the opposite issue with the GTA and RDR type games. I tend to get hooked into the story and start ignoring the side missions and have to do them on the second or subsequent playthroughs. Facing that the most in the Yakuza PS3 games (Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, Yakuza of the Dead) but also in RDR and the GTAIV.

I almost universally prefer sandbox games. Funny but I have the opposite issue with the GTA and RDR type games. I tend to get hooked into the story and start ignoring the side missions and have to do them on the second or subsequent playthroughs. Facing that the most in the Yakuza PS3 games (Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, Yakuza of the Dead) but also in RDR and the GTAIV.

Me too. But with Yakuza 3 I had to do a few of side quests to level up.

I tend to prefer more linear games. Even in a lot of RPGs, I'll ignore a lot of the side quests because I just don't feel like doing them. I actually never cared for GTA, didn't play RDR, and prefer linear Spider-Man games to the open world ones.

There are exceptions to that rule, though, and those exceptions tend to be some of my favorite games. Sleeping Dogs was a big one, although I skipped almost all of the camera hacking and street racing missions. Skyrim was another, because it gave me a huge, living world to play in, so much so that I was constantly finding things to do and get involved in four nearly 40 hours without playing the main game further than getting my first shout. In that case, it wasn't about the story so much as me finding my place in the world (short answer: guy who throws lightning at stuff).

Far Cry 2 definitely fell into the first group. I didn't care what the story was, side missions were boring, and main missions were a pain to get to from the hub. Far Cry 3 falls solidly into the second. I've done about three or four main story missions (for those that did play it, my next story mission is to

meet Citra

), but I've put almost all of my free time into it this weekend. I've spent a lot of time hunting (I only have the items that require unique skins left to craft), activating radio towers (7, I think), and liberating bases (9 or 10). When I get tired of that, I'll go back to the story.

I personally think the best sandbox games were both the Mercenaries games. I absolutely loved how it would pretty much give you a mission, and only suggested a way to complete it leaving it all up to you how to get it done.

Assassinate a guy from long range so you aren't seen? Forget the sniper rifle and call down the carpet bomb.

Drive a ambulance along a long winding narrow road covered in mines? Use a chopper and airlift it to the destination.

Of all the sandbox games I've played these were the best. I wish there was a sequel comming, but thanks to EA that's not going to happen :(

I beat Wing Commander Saga yesterday and all I can say is it is definitely a worthy addition to Chris Roberts' series despite being a fan-made project. It was nice how they adjusted mission difficulty to each fighter in a way. Stepping into the F-103 Excalibur almost makes you feel invincible at first until a few missions later. I liked the homage paid to WC:Privateer at the end. I really hope Roberts revives the WC franchise with his new Squadron 42 project.

Edited by Shadow

So, I just got Guild Wars 2 for Mac (still in beta). I'm really unfamiliar with PC gaming, especially MMOs. Any suggestions to how to tackle this, or what profession a noob should use?

Did I mention this is my first MMO ever (the lack of monthly subscription and glowing reviews drew me in).

XBox so you can play with Milkman X and I.

Or Steam, so you could play it with me.

360 is my least-preferred system, I usually only buy exclusives. PS3 is my main system. I don't do steam---I swear, my 'net connection only goes down when I *need* it.

360 is my least-preferred system, I usually only buy exclusives. PS3 is my main system. I don't do steam---I swear, my 'net connection only goes down when I *need* it.

Then I guess at least you narrowed it down to which system...